PDA

View Full Version : Jockey helps out the Fav during race

JustRalph
06-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Good sport saves jockey in trouble
By Patrick Bartley
June 29 2003
The Sun-Herald

Punters found another way to lose their money but jumps jockey Craig Durden had an angel on his shoulder in the form of a rival jockey when St Steven ran an unlucky second in the Crisp Steeplechase (4000 metres) at Flemington yesterday.

Durden was on the $2.25 favourite St Steven when the eight-year-old dragged his stomach through the brush at the second fence and almost dislodged the rider.

In keeping his balance, Durden accidentally knocked the bridle over the horse's ears.

He held the reins but it was only the bit in the horse's mouth that was allowing him to maintain control.

This was the case for 1000 metres until fellow rider Bill Williams lent a helping hand.

Williams, was riding long shot Play Me Please, which was racing alongside St Steven as they approached the winning post with one lap to go.

He reached across and flicked the horse's headgear, which was flapping in the breeze in front of its eyes, back up in the direction of its ears.

Durden was able to gather the leather and pull it over the horse's ears to restore full control.

"I would hope another rider would do the same for me," Williams said later.

Durden was a greatly relieved rider when he was able to return to the jockeys' room without further incident, although he could have considered himself most unlucky to have been beaten a short-head by $6.50 chance Sir Ritchie.

"I accidentally pushed the bridle off when the horse bellied the second fence and it wasn't a nice feeling," Durden said.'

Chief steward Des Gleeson, applauded the horsemanship displayed by Williams, labelling it a top effort.

"He could see another rider in trouble and went out of his way to help," Gleason said.

Shacopate
06-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Awesome.

superfecta
06-30-2003, 01:09 AM
I believe there is a trophy named after this jockey ,I think his name is Robinson,given for sportsmanship.I seem to remember the story that during a race a jock was about to fall off his horse and Robinson was beside him and pushed him back on the horse.Unfortunately,Robinson lost his balance and fell and was trampled to death.