PDA

View Full Version : Who Trains this Horse.

Ejmenz
02-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Soon you'll be sending your best two year old prospect to the races.

He's a gelding with huge talent and complete soundness, his pedigree is right down the middle, he has a little of everything represented.

You want the derby bad, but not as much as a long lucrative career.

Who's going to train this horse.

illinoisbred
02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Although he hasn't done much lately,Neil Howard would be my choice.

bisket
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
baffert. win a couple one mile to 1 1/8 mile preps, and you've got yourself another unbridled song to screw the breed up even more.

46zilzal
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I want a gelding that will run for awhile, have and under-carriage that is real not chemically produced and that says Mott, Mandella, or Matz

Professional horsemen known to support the basics.

illinoisbred
02-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Most the guys on your list are not known for longevity when it comes to racing.

46zilzal
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Most the guys on your list are not known for longevity when it comes to racing.
That is more the owner's that remove them from the population, not these guys.

fmolf
02-11-2010, 06:39 PM
shepherd.

only11
02-11-2010, 06:49 PM

He's a gelding with huge talent and complete soundness, his pedigree is right down the middle, he has a little of everything represented.

How do you forget Neil Drysdale?

OntheRail
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I think I'd send him to Jerry or Doug both would give him a good foundation to start with. Sending him to the BB.. SA.. JS and alike and it right to the Assistant as they have bigger owners to look out for. And if things did not work out with Jerry or Doug then it's right to Ricky D. :lol:

Stillriledup
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
The L in Lukas stands for Longevity. I'd go with the Coach.

Hanover1
02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I would keep him with whoever got him ready.......

tzipi
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Depends, if it was a pure turf horse I'd say Matz or Sheppard. Dirt.... Baffert or Lukas.

46zilzal
02-12-2010, 12:11 AM
:lol: :lol:

more like LAMENESS AHEAD!!

Only Steinlen got to the age of 5 of the group under his care, and he inherited that one and tired to make a dirt horse out of a pure turfer

JustRalph
02-12-2010, 03:16 AM
I was wondering why Funny Cide's Trainer wasn't on the list..........

if the horse is a dirt runner.........I think he should be on the list Tagg?

turfbar
02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Sean Peyton

:D

Turfbar

Brogan
02-12-2010, 10:00 AM
On paper he's taken a back seat to his wife....but what about Larry Jones?

wantedtobeagrey
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Just Ralph,

How right you are it should be Barclay Tagg for either dirt of turf.

ZephyrHawk
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Where's the love for Kiaran McLaughlin?

Fingal
02-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Lukas = Like an interior designer, a great spender of other people's money.
Too bad Gene Kline, Bob Lewis & Bill Young aren't around any more to say how much of their money Lukas spent chasing the white whale. All got their Kentucky Derby with him but that horse never amounted to much if anything after that.

At least with Baffert Lewis got Silver Charm that lasted a couple more years after his Triple Crown run.

johnhannibalsmith
02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Stan Hough... is he still around? Two-year-old sales buys, older grass routers, mid-level claimers... the guy always seemed to have his horses ready to run (especially when Robert and Bea Roberts were going strong) and it didn't matter what they were.

Linny
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
baffert. win a couple one mile to 1 1/8 mile preps, and you've got yourself another unbridled song to screw the breed up even more.

I thought the horse is gelding. :confused:

A few other trainers come to mind. Tagg, Helen Pitts, Graham Motion, Jonathan Sheppard, David Carroll and if I'm looking long term, Will Phipps. One of the best horsemen I have ever met is Rodney Jenkins who is in the equstrian hall of fame as a hunter and a jumper rider is training now in MD. (He doesn't have the big money society connections that Matz has.) I'd LOVE to see him have a breakout horse, so I might sent him one.

joanied
02-12-2010, 05:49 PM

bisket...you are getting way to;) cynical...and this hypethetical horse is a gelding:) :) :)

GaryG
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm with Illinoisbred.... Neil Howard. Nobody better with a developing 3yo. Hasn't had the stock lately.

joanied
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I voted for Baffert...a few more there I might choose...love Sherriff's, but 2 yr olds are not his forte...Tagg should have been on the list...but, IMO, Baffert runs clean, has patience, and a horse will last under his care...unless it's a very good 3 yr old...then the owners whisk them away to the shed.
between several names on the list, it's a tough call.

TiznowfaninNY
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I went with Shireffs. He's done everything on the list required. The Derby, and getting longevity out of a quality horse.

Trotman
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Sheppard or Mandella

Ejmenz
02-13-2010, 12:39 AM
I think since Bobby passed away, Richard Mandella is as fine a horsemen as there is.

Tee
02-13-2010, 01:00 AM

Mandella

lamboguy
02-13-2010, 07:08 AM
i want the guy that pounds hard on the horse when he is young so that he will be able to standup later on life.

from what i can see the horses that wind up training on training tracks with a good cushion underneath them and train right straight through without being babied last the longest.

out of that list i would have to go for baffert or assmussen for longetivity. assmussen's number's won't show up because he is reletively new to running horses that he developed from scratch.

the training center that baffert uses know's how to get a horse started, and baffert knows what to do when he gets the horse.

ManeMediaMogul
02-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Although he hasn't done much lately,Neil Howard would be my choice.

An excellent choice.

only11
02-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Neil Drysdale is still one of the best,there isnt a trainer on that list better then Drysdale..IMO

Jackal
02-13-2010, 08:55 AM
I would want D. Wayne Lukas to select and prep my horse. After his first few races I would want Steve Asmussen to take over. Nothing against Lukas - Asmussen seems to have a stable at every track. He has a stable at a track my horse would be profitable.

Robert Goren
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
I have always been impressed by Frank Brothers.

BIG49010
02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
How about Wayne Catalano, he wins Breeder Cup twice now with 2 yr olds, and Dreaming of Anna retired sound as a bell of brasss. Her full Brother same deal, he gets great races out of horses that others don't give much chance.

lamboguy
02-13-2010, 11:30 AM
my final choice to train horses will be TONY EVERARD. why go to the pupil when you can have the teacher?

Hanover1
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
An invalid response, but my guy was always Sonny Hine.

lamboguy
02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
An invalid response, but my guy was always Sonny Hine.
if you liked sonny hine, who i loved, you must like tony everard, he broke and trained SKIP AWAY. and let me tell you something about skippy, he had everything wrong with him, he was crooked, and turned out to be a champion!

Saratoga_Mike
02-13-2010, 09:12 PM
if you liked sonny hine, who i loved, you must like tony everard, he broke and trained SKIP AWAY. and let me tell you something about skippy, he had everything wrong with him, he was crooked, and turned out to be a champion!

Sonny Hine is a great posthumous choice. He did a great job with Skip Away. I think there's still a big picture honoring Skip Away inside the OBS sales pavilion.

lamboguy
02-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Sonny Hine is a great posthumous choice. He did a great job with Skip Away. I think there's still a big picture honoring Skip Away inside the OBS sales pavilion.do you think carolyn liked the slot machines in atlantic city with her glaring red hair.

sony was an FBI agent that turned into a horse trainer.

WinterTriangle
02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
They have to "give back."

Nick Zito is one who walks the walk and is outspoken about horse welfare. I'm sure there are others.

Even in "business", I have to stay close to my ethical beliefs, or I don't want the money, because I feel it would be tainted. Would have to be someone who places the welfare of the horse over our expectations of them.

nearco
02-13-2010, 11:51 PM
El Gran Seņor, Horatio Luro.

WinterTriangle
02-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Oh, add graham Motion to my list. He applies this label to all jockey club papers of horses he trains:
http://twitpic.com/tjahi

Hard to read, it says:

Name of Stable
IF THIS HORSE EVER NEEDS A HOME
CALL : (phone number)
THIS HORSE WAS NOT BRED FOR SLAUGHTER

:jump:

mbenton
02-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Shug belongs in the Mott, Mandella, Matz group.

TheBid9
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Neil Drysdale is still one of the best,there isnt a trainer on that list better then Drysdale..IMO

Got to go along with you, 11. Drysdale is a class act.

Figman
08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Please spell my name right!
It's JONATHAN SHEPPARD.

Fager Fan
08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
This poll is all in fun but all trainers have their warts, it just depends on which warts you can best live with. What's interesting to me is the incorrect assumptions people make about them. One on that list, for example, gives his horses every drug but the kitchen sink yet he's thought to be a hay, oats and water guy.

TheBid9
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Oh, add graham Motion to my list. He applies this label to all jockey club papers of horses he trains:
http://twitpic.com/tjahi

Hard to read, it says:

Name of Stable
IF THIS HORSE EVER NEEDS A HOME
CALL : (phone number)
THIS HORSE WAS NOT BRED FOR SLAUGHTER

:jump:

Didn't know that about him, it certainly elevates him in my eyes. Thanks
Triangle.

nijinski
08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Billy Turner not on the list
so my 2nd choice Asmussen.

Hanover1
08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Hine was fine, but my #1 alltime= Woodford C.

tzipi
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Woody Stephens also.

Trotman
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
From days gone by Pete McCann who did all the ground work for Windfields in the beginning, a horseman's horseman and yet E.P Taylor gave the glory to Huratio Luro.

Robert Goren
08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I would run him once and sell him to some fool from Dubai.;)

Hanover1
08-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I would run him once and sell him to some fool from Dubai.;)

Be careful of a class drop......

thaskalos
08-11-2010, 12:43 AM
What do you have against Wayne Catalano?

Best winning % of the decade...

Paseana
08-11-2010, 02:15 AM

This day and age, those two desires are pretty much mutually exclusive. Assuming that I can afford to be patient, and seeing as how my horse is a gelding and therefore building a stallion resume is not an issue, I would choose the "long lucrative career" option in a heartbeat.

Among the trainers listed in the poll, Mandella or Sherriffs would be my choices in the west, and if I were eastern-based, it would be Mott or Sheppard.

If "Other" had been a poll option, then I would give consideration to Neil Drysdayle, Carla Gaines, and Jim Cassidy in the west, and Graham Motion, Neil Howard, and Helen Pitts in the east.

I voted for Richard Mandella in the poll simply because, as a race fan, he's my favorite trainer period. But the situation as presented here is so full of variables......

It's still a fun discussion.

carlonr
08-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Personally , I would send him to Julio Canani. His name is not on the list so, i choose Hollendorfer. My second choice would be H. Graham Motion.