PDA

View Full Version : Stalag 17

mountainman
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Watched this movie for the umpteenth time several days ago and picked up on something. There is an 'oddsboard' visible during the mouse racing scene, and the line totals to 120. This impressive attention to detail made me wonder what the breakage and takeout were on races conducted back then. If the skim was 15%, and the nickles and dimes tabulated as they are today, that line was perfectly balanced since 5 mice were entered.

Awesome flick by the way. Holden busting the real spy is a great moment in movie history. His oscar was well deserved.

oddsmaven
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I like when the German Commandant mocks the prisoners, lamenting that he'd hoped they "could give them a white Christmas, just like the ones they used to know...(he continues)...aren't those that the words written by your clever little man who stole his name from our capital, something or other Berlin?" :D

mountainman
02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I like when the German Commandant mocks the prisoners, lamenting that he'd hoped they "could give them a white Christmas, just like the ones they used to know...(he continues)...aren't those that the words written by your clever little man who stole his name from our capital, something or other Berlin?" :D

The movie is based on a play, and i could do without some of the stagier comedy. Love the drama and wisecracks. Also the commandant you mentioned. He manages to be both funny and menacing.