PDA

View Full Version : question on Bris data files

scottmcw
02-11-2010, 11:58 AM
how do you unzip a BRIS comma delimited data file so that it opens in excel in a useful format, i.e. so that it adheres to the BRIS data structure format info

Tom
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
You need to unzip the file first.

Then you need to use Excel 2007 in order to directly import the file due to the number of columns.

If you have that version, I am guessing it is the same as with older versions-use the get external data/import text file option, or use the File Open options and tell it it is comma delimited.

raybo
02-12-2010, 10:34 AM
how do you unzip a BRIS comma delimited data file so that it opens in excel in a useful format, i.e. so that it adheres to the BRIS data structure format info

You are welcome to download "AllData PPs.xls" (for Excel versions prior to Excel 2007) or "AllData PPs.xlsm" (for Excel 2007) from my website (look down in my signature for the link to the site).

This Excel workbook, used in conjunction with the free parsing utility, Infotran, does all the work for you in grabbing all 1435 data fields in the Bris/TSN single file data files (.drf and .mcp) and also presents a DRF style past performances view, as well as, a "Sartin" type velocities view and "Summaries" for both.

Read the help file, available for download on the "AllData" page also, to learn how to operate Infotran and the workbook.

Everything on the site is free, so, check it out.

If you need help with anything, just holler.