PDA

View Full Version : Google Buzz

chickenhead
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
never been into the social networks, if nothing else I hate the idea of setting up more accounts so I just use email for everything. Leave it to Google, they stuffed a social network inside of gmail. After a few hours of using it, I declare its pretty cool -- you can actually have real conversations, it is nothing like twitter.

anyway, any of you gmail users want to play around with it, hit me up -- http://www.google.com/profiles/110079459887033650250

JustRalph
02-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Looks like a poor mans facebook with a twitter ass end attached to it

chickenhead
02-11-2010, 01:23 AM
that's actually not a bad description -- there are ideas from both. It differs from twitter in that its actually useful, you can have conversations, it differs from facebook in that its a hell of a lot cleaner. I guess some people like playing farmville or whatever and buying fake gifts for one another, I have just never seen the attraction, it's too obnoxious.

This is the first network I've looked at that I found immediately useful, its what twitter should have been. But the spammers haven't descended yet, how they control spammers will decide whether it stays useful.

bigmack
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Using Google Buzz? Here’s a privacy checklist
If you’re not careful, you could be exposing more than you think

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35351343/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

chickenhead
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
yes, on your profile page, if you have one -- there are 4 checkboxes that control all of these visibility settings. They are very straightforward, they're the only checkboxes there, but it's important as with anything on the web, to be mindful of what you are putting out there -- and I couldn't agree more with her point about logging out and checking out your page to see what everyone can see, thats solid advice for every service.

I'm kind of a misanthrope, so I keep my email address, my contacts, and my full name private.