PDA

View Full Version : Working with Results charts

Force of One
02-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions about where to learn more about utilizing results charts? Presently, I use the approach spelled out in Nick Borg's "Off the Charts". I have been having decent results, but was looking for ways/ ideas to maximize their use.

I have seen reference to a presentation Ron Cox did at the DRF Expo a few years back. Anyone know if that footage would be of value, or is it just a basic treatment similar to Off the Charts? and if worthwhile, where I could track it down?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
02-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Do you know what year he did it?

takeout
02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
'93

Tom
02-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I'll see if I have it.

takeout
02-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Do you know what year he did it?Oops! I just realized he said “DRF” Expo. DRF wasn’t doing them in ’93. He might be talking about a different one. Hope I didn’t mess you up. :blush:

Tom
02-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Naw, I was messed up long before this! ;)

I didn't find it, but I seem to remember it - he talked about getting the race conditions, the fractions, trip notes, etc. I'll keep looking.

Force of One
02-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Takeout,

I think you might be right. My understanding was it was the early 90's, so it might not have been DRF.

Tom,

thanks for taking a look

RichieP
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Do a search for "The Fat Man" here.

Check out posts where he shows his "Fat Charts". He does some unique stuff well away from the mainstream of adjusted pace figs etc and is VERY sharp I.M.H.O :ThmbUp:

Best of luck :)

46zilzal
02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Do a search for "The Fat Man" here.

Check out posts where he shows his "Fat Charts". He does some unique stuff well away from the mainstream of adjusted pace figs etc and is VERY sharp I.M.H.O

wow that's debatable.

Space Monkey
02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Humor me, I'm going to sound like an old guy. Back in the day when they took the time to write an accurate, detailed account of the race, you could read the charts and visualize exactly how the race was run. Not so now. 15 minutes after the race, the chart is up. It used to be the next day.

Equibase has cut corners with chart writers. There are less of them and its more important to Equibase that they get the chart out fast and move on to the next one. It's about cutting expenses. E's bottom line is helped by rushing, and cheapening the process. I used to pick up trips and closers that didn't get there but for a reason. I used to look for long odds, horses that finished out of the money, but beaten less than 4 lengths, with an excuse or some sort of trouble in the race. Who knows, maybe that would work today. I haven't tried it in a couple of decades :D .

takeout
02-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I used to like to fool with them back before they started to shrink. Most of the time they were all on one page and by today’s standards they were huge. I like them all on one page so that was the end of an era for me.

The most shocking thing to me about the Equibase charts is that they don’t put the full written conditions in all of them. They’re using that abbreviated coding stuff, which is sometimes wrong and often tells you nothing (just gives you a “(C)” instead of the conditions). When you see the “(C)” you would have to refer back to the pps to get the actual conditions. It’s ironic, I think, because Equibase’s free lookup is one of the best and smartest things they’ve ever done.

Force of One
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Space Monkey/Takeout,

I hear what you guys are saying about the info being a little truncated (especially the trips and conditions). Personally, I try to add my own trip notes and am constantly developing this along with my trip handicapping in general. I guess on the bright side, I try to put all that extra white space to good use ;)

dutzman
02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Are there any handicapping programs out there that work with result charts?

hracingplyr
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
do i find these fat man charts? Did a search found nothing

harntrox
02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes, there is software to process just results, though not usually available to the public. usually there are two different approaches to 'capping: datamining and racecard.

1.) Common approach: Analyze one race card. Load todays card, relying 100% on historical stats provided by data provider (DRF, EQB, Bris etc.). Though the intent is to come up with some clever permutation of the data, you'll just be making the same bets as everyone else whos mining that data.

2.) Datamine method: Analyze a mass convolution of results. Load potentially tens of thousands of races, relying on varying degrees of influence from stats you create and track within the database. Possible to synthesize your own stats with the common stats used by everyone else. The intent with this 'Empire-Maker' approach is simple: Make different bets than everyone else, because you *arent* mining the (exact) same data.

Are there other ways to analyze the races using software, than the 2 combinations i have presented here? I cant think of any .... :confused:

takeout
02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
do i find these fat man charts? Did a search found nothingHere's a link to a thread about them.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35003

hracingplyr
02-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Take, how does one produce these charts?

takeout
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I have no idea. You would probably have to send the_fat_man a PM about that.

Investorater
02-24-2010, 07:00 PM
This chart concept, was first introduced in an article of the defunct Turf and

Sport Digest, with the title: The Graph Method.

Tom
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Just use Excel.