PDA

View Full Version : N B A ALL-STAR WEEKEND

sonnyp
02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
jerry jones and mark cuban are crowing about the largest attendance at an nba all-star game. i was in vegas when it was held there (that will never happen again).

wait till dallas gets a load of the crowd that shows up "in record numbers" for this party !!

Snag
02-09-2010, 07:06 PM
It's really funny. All the press and teams are staying in Dallas. The venue and activities are at the stadium, about 35 miles away. It's the same set up for the Super Bowl here next year.

dav4463
02-09-2010, 11:48 PM
I have an opportunity to go to the game. A friend has some really good seats, but I don't know if I want to fight the crowd. I do enjoy wearing my Tim Duncan jersey in Dallas though!

Robert Goren
02-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I have an opportunity to go to the game. A friend has some really good seats, but I don't know if I want to fight the crowd. I do enjoy wearing my Tim Duncan jersey in Dallas though! Pretty says it all, would anyone worry about fighting the crowd if they had Cowboy-Eagles tickets.

Snag
02-10-2010, 07:32 AM
I have an opportunity to go to the game. A friend has some really good seats, but I don't know if I want to fight the crowd. I do enjoy wearing my Tim Duncan jersey in Dallas though!

Dave, if you are going, go early and park at TGI Fridays in Lincoln Square. Have a cool one, get a free ticket for their bus. Their bus goes to and from the game and they have the easy in and out route. The only crowd to fight then is at the game.

dav4463
02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Dave, if you are going, go early and park at TGI Fridays in Lincoln Square. Have a cool one, get a free ticket for their bus. Their bus goes to and from the game and they have the easy in and out route. The only crowd to fight then is at the game.

Thanks! I may do that. I also heard that Tim Duncan is going to be at Parks Mall on Saturday from 3pm to 4pm signing autographs. I would like to see him just to tell him he replaced the great George Gervin as my favorite Spur of all time!

CBedo
02-11-2010, 07:01 PM
jerry jones and mark cuban are crowing about the largest attendance at an nba all-star game. i was in vegas when it was held there (that will never happen again).

wait till dallas gets a load of the crowd that shows up "in record numbers" for this party !!I attended most of the all-star festivities (and a number of parties) when it was here in Denver, and the crowd that was at the actual all-star game didn't really resemble the crowd that was in town for the weekend. It was much more corporate and much less "thuggy" (the only word I can think of right now, no offense to you who lead the thug life..).

sandpit
02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Speaking of crowds, did anybody catch the attendance at the Nets game yesterday, I believe it was. There were about 1,100 people there. I bet Aqueduct could have outdrawn them, if they were open.

cj
02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Speaking of crowds, did anybody catch the attendance at the Nets game yesterday, I believe it was. There were about 1,100 people there. I bet Aqueduct could have outdrawn them, if they were open.

The team is just horrible. I can't imagine spending a dollar to see them play. They showed small traces of hope against some good teams, but then were blown out at home against the lowly Bucks. They may not win another game.

ranchwest
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM

The only crowds to fight at the stadium are all the people getting in. Once inside, the stadium is spacious, including the concourse walkways. There's plenty of concession stands and restrooms, too. It's truly a world-class venue.

The stadium is so popular that there are often thousands of people going there for tours! My son went and didn't want to wait several hours to get in for a tour.

If you go to Lincoln Square, make sure you scope out the trip early because I-30 is still being renovated and it is a mess getting from one side to the other.

skate
02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I hear, Kobe is not playing, what's up with dat. must be hurt, heh.

What was wrong with the game in Vegas?

CBedo
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM

What was wrong with the game in Vegas?Pacman....:rolleyes:

sonnyp
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM

What was wrong with the game in Vegas?

the crowd that showed up in vegas was a combination of punks,thugs and pimps. they violated, tried to intimidate, refused to pay bills, didn't tip and left most locals longing for the old days when the real gangsters were running the town. i'd like to bet, even with things as bad in vegas as they are now, you'll not see this game back there for a long, long time.

just a sample of some of the activity in a town used to hosting big events from local t v channel 8 news :

Violence Erupts During NBA All-Star Weekend

http://klas.images.worldnow.com/images/6107862_BG1.jpg

The NBA All-Star weekend wrapped up with a lot of excitement and a lot of arrests. Metro police spent the past year preparing for the weekend and the crowds. Nearly all of the police force was on duty.

Between 12 p.m. Thursday and early Monday morning, 362 people were booked into the Clark County Detention Center. That number doesn't include 400 or so routine arrests police make in a 48-hour period.

The arrests ranged from offenses like criminal-trespassing and battery to burglary and disorderly conduct.

More than 140 people were also arrested on fugitive warrants in the days leading up to All-Star weekend. Some of those arrests came from a number of fights and shootings. Some of those arrests were made Monday morning in post-All-Star game partying.

The weekend violence started off with a bang, literally. Late Friday night, a woman decided to fire a gun in the air several times on the Strip near the Bellagio, which set the stage for a weekend of weapons and a barrage of bullets.

On Saturday night, shots rang out on a crowded Las Vegas Strip, near the old Stardust. A man was shot several times in the stomach. Seven suspects were arrested. Then on Sunday night, after the game ended and the partying began, the crowds got out of control.

James Avery, a guest at the MGM Grand said, "It was real rough. The traffic, traffic jam, police everywhere."

The MGM Grand parking garage became a crime scene around 4 a.m. Monday. A man was shot in the hip. He will be okay, but the gunman got away. The night of violence didn't stop there.

Things really got out of hand at the Minxx gentlemen's club Monday morning. Carl Kountze, who works near club, said, "No one knew what was going on. Just everybody was running for their lives basically."

One dancer called it pure pandemonium. "It was awful. I walked out and saw blood everywhere," said Estrella, a Minxx dancer.

"A famous rapper, Nelly, came in. He spent so much money that people and customers were just going crazy," said Estrella, an eyewitness.

Eyewitnesses said chaos erupted when thousands of dollars were thrown on stage, which sent crowds scrambling for the money. Before the mayhem was all over, three people were shot outside.

A fight inside the Tryst nightclub at the Wynn resort on the Strip was carried outside, creating commotion, police stated.

No one threw any punches at the NBA All-Star game, but off the court and outside the arena, there was plenty of foul play.

In summary, Metro says two men were shot at the Minxx strip club -- both club employees -- and they are in critical condition. A woman patron was grazed by a bullet received non-life threatening injuries. No one has been arrested.

In the shooting at the MGM Grand, the victim did not want to press charges.

sandpit
02-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Pacman....:rolleyes:

Speaking of Pacman, I just heard on the radio tonight that the Bengals had him in for a workout this week. They also signed Matt Jones, the drug abusing wide receiver who got the boot from Jacksonville last year, to a one year contract. And their rookie LB Malualuga (sp?) from USC got a DUI in northern Kentucky a couple of weeks ago. And I thought they had cleaned up their image :rolleyes:

dav4463
02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
The only crowds to fight at the stadium are all the people getting in. Once inside, the stadium is spacious, including the concourse walkways. There's plenty of concession stands and restrooms, too. It's truly a world-class venue.

The stadium is so popular that there are often thousands of people going there for tours! My son went and didn't want to wait several hours to get in for a tour.

If you go to Lincoln Square, make sure you scope out the trip early because I-30 is still being renovated and it is a mess getting from one side to the other.

I've been to the stadium for the Falcons and Cowboys. I got to sit in a suite. Is was pretty cool to be in a spot I normally could never afford! The stadium is huge, but I had the feeling more people were there for the entertainment aspect more so than the football game.

ranchwest
02-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I've been to the stadium for the Falcons and Cowboys. I got to sit in a suite. Is was pretty cool to be in a spot I normally could never afford! The stadium is huge, but I had the feeling more people were there for the entertainment aspect more so than the football game.

If anyone doubted the impact of Cowboys Stadium, check out the attendance for the NBA All-Star game -- 108,731.

When the stadium opened, they had an open house for residents of Arlington. Something like 40,000 people showed up just to see the stadium, with nothing going on.

Bobby Seller
02-15-2010, 09:09 AM
never had the pleasure of visiting the White House, before the Cowboys changed stadiums.

skate
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Sonnyp, ok thanks

gees, dont get me wrong here but i've been on this wagon for years, tellling people in other areas of the country.

Vegas had this type problem for a while, but little attention.

What you point out is extreme, but the smaller type situations do not get enough discipline and then Bingo.

As a mater of fact, it's not only Vegas..

thanks