PDA

View Full Version : For those who play poker...

Bubbles
06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
If you check on the first time around in either Texas Hold Em or Five Card Draw, can you raise the next time around? I've heard a bunch of debates, so maybe you can help. Later!

plainolebill
06-29-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Bubbles
If you check on the first time around in either Texas Hold Em or Five Card Draw, can you raise the next time around? I've heard a bunch of debates, so maybe you can help. Later!

Usually not, if you are talking about the same round of betting. Sometimes yes, depending on table rules or if agreed upon beforehand. If you are talking about the next card, yes.

David McKenzie
06-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles

Check/raising is a standard part of the game. I've never played in a poker game that didn't allow it, even online.

Tom
06-29-2003, 08:20 PM
I love poker, just can't find many games anymore. I would play poker evey day if I could, even like it better than horse racing.
In poker, you put two things on the table-your money and your balls. Hopefully, you increase one pile and break even on the other. :rolleyes: :eek:

BTW....my avatar is my poker face!

David McKenzie
06-30-2003, 01:02 AM
Tom,

Hahaha, love your poker face!

I don't want to publicly endorse a gambling site, but the "big one" that's on television -- The Travel Channel -- seems quite safe and has tons of action.

In addition to live single table games they have little tournaments running 24 hours a day. You can get in for as little as $6 and play for an hour or so...cheap entertainment. Of course they have the monster games too.

It's a lot of fun.

If you don't know which one I'm talking about, drop me an email and I'll send you the link.

plainolebill
06-30-2003, 01:03 AM
I stand corrected, I assumed that we were talking about low limit poker. I grew up in Gardena, and if I remember correctly, (been a long time ago) at the tables I played at no check-raise was allowed. Spent 19 of my 28 years in the service aboard ship and we never allowed check raising. Must have been a local custom, like not using the nines in double deck pinochle.

David McKenzie
06-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by plainolebill
...Spent 19 of my 28 years in the service aboard ship...

Bill,

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to share an interesting port of call anecdote? I'll bet you've got a bevy of beauties. :)

so.cal.fan
07-01-2003, 11:57 AM
In Las Vegas, you can raise after you check....ONLY if someone else raises, according to my husband, an avid Texas Hold-Em
player.