PDA

View Full Version : beaten by a five year old first time starter

1st time lasix
02-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I am stting on a live pick six in NY yesterday to three entries in the last. There was a good carryover and was pretty excited prior to the opening of the gates. Of course ......I take a bad beat....by a darn "firster" who was listed as five years old!!! Never in my experience have i witnessed a horse win at first asking at that advanced age. UGH! :bang: By being the last race in the sequence I didn't get to see that his 8-1 morning line odds were bet down to 3-1. Just when I thought I had seen it all. 1000 ways to lose and only 1 way to win!

Tee
02-08-2010, 02:31 PM
You didn't get to see how good he looked in the post parade either. That could be the reason I don't make many horizontal wagers. :) Anywho, damn good capping just to be live FTL!!

By being the last race in the sequence I didn't get to see that his 8-1 morning line odds were bet down to 3-1.

lamboguy
02-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I am stting on a live pick six in NY yesterday to three entries in the last. There was a good carryover and was pretty excited prior to the opening of the gates. Of course ......I take a bad beat....by a darn "firster" who was listed as five years old!!! Never in my experience have i witnessed a horse win at first asking at that advanced age. UGH! :bang: By being the last race in the sequence I didn't get to see that his 8-1 morning line odds were bet down to 3-1. Just when I thought I had seen it all. 1000 ways to lose and only 1 way to win!
that is quite a tough beat. but if you live long enough you will get 1000 more different ways than the ones you have all ready encountered.

illinoisbred
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
That is a tough beat.I used him in the free pick 4 contest here only because I didn't think Weaver would hang on to him this long if he didn't feel there was some talent there. Shaky reasoning I know,and for real money I might have let him go.

46zilzal
02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I see 5 y/o maidens win all the time at Fort Erie

cj
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I see 5 y/o maidens win all the time at Fort Erie

He said a 5yo first time starter.

46zilzal
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
wouldn't that make the horse a maiden?

cj
02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
wouldn't that make the horse a maiden?

Yes, and it also makes your post not relevant to the thread. What else is new?

lamboguy
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
that only makes it a worse beat

cj
02-08-2010, 02:56 PM
that only makes it a worse beat

No kidding...that was the point of the original poster's thread start!

46zilzal
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I have seen FIRST hand, many horse's first start delayed by injury which the talents of certain trainers have overcome. I get the impression that there is a built in bias, without basis in fact of the INDIVIDUAL, that somehow 5 year olds cant' run at all.

THE INDIVIDUAL must be evaluated............. not the preconception.

bigmack
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I have seen FIRST hand, many horse's first start delayed by injury which the talents of certain trainers have overcome. I get the impression that there is a built in bias, without basis in fact of the INDIVIDUAL, that somehow 5 year olds cant' run at all.

THE INDIVIDUAL must be evaluated............. not the preconception.
Yet another useless musing on your part. At least they come in handy for something.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/copyshit.gif

Tom
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I only see them win once.

speed
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I now get to place a poster on ignore for the third time.

Light
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
It's a homebred. Breeder is the owner so connections can take their time as opposed to an owner that laid out big bucks to a breeder and needs to recoup $. Also when I looked at the last 3 works this horse had,there was no doubt this was a serious contender in a very weak field.

castaway01
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM

I did not look at the race, but out of curiosity, was the payoff you were alive for big enough where you could put $500 to win on this horse or bet some $200 exactas with your Pick 6 horses, just to get your money back? I realize this doesn't give you the Pick 6 but it might soften the blow a bit...theories vary.

Tom
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
The horse was so fast they couldn't catch him until he was 5.

Exotic1
02-09-2010, 12:00 AM
castaway01: The pain would have been worse if the place horse of the $200 exacta (x 3 = $600) ended up not being one of the horses he was alive with. If he played the #3 to win then a fifth horse could have won.

1st time lasix: I was alive big time in the p4 with #1, #6 and #12. 1 and 6 were closers but 12 was a prayer because it was poor speed chasing the 4. I saw the #3 get bet in the double (bris said the dam had 4 winners from 4 starters) but I wouldn't bite. The 6-12 double was coming back $29 so the $33 dbl on the #3 indicates it was bet severly. Rough day all around - I bet the #7 in the first at Oaklawn and got taken down with a 11-7 exacta in Oaklawn 6th. Not that any of this is a consolation.....

JustRalph
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I only see them win once.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1st time lasix
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I did not look at the race, but out of curiosity, was the payoff you were alive for big enough where you could put $500 to win on this horse or bet some $200 exactas with your Pick 6 horses, just to get your money back? I realize this doesn't give you the Pick 6 but it might soften the blow a bit...theories vary. Mr C****I use a multiple ticket approach to these pools. Without committing too much of my bankroll on this particular occasion I was pretty excited to be alive to three entries in the pick six as i said {including the eventual second place finisher} and as a little hedge....to two others in the pick 4 that were not the same. During the six races I was deligted that my three singles came through for me in the sequence. Generally when i am alive in a pick six after two races....I look to the pick four with the the horses I may have selected as "possibles" that are no longer are alive on my live pick six ticket{s} I just had a very hard time even considering a five yr old firster. Nothing in my experience suggests it is a good idea....certainly not on an expensive pick six ticket. Never ever seen one win before....probably never see one win again! Such is life. Doubt I will forget this one. Since it was Superbowl Sunday I had left my simulcast venue to attend the usual socal gatherings. I did not have the ability to bet the horse straight up at post. Anyway 5 out of 6 with three tickets {$100 each} paid for the venture. Little consolation however when you consider my frustration. :bang: Just so hard to win too may of these for the regular guy. I strive to improve my capping excellence.....but there is some element of racing luck/timing that is needed. :) And so it goes.....

1st time lasix
02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
castaway01: The pain would have been worse if the place horse of the $200 exacta (x 3 = $600) ended up not being one of the horses he was alive with. If he played the #3 to win then a fifth horse could have won.

1st time lasix: I was alive big time in the p4 with #1, #6 and #12. 1 and 6 were closers but 12 was a prayer because it was poor speed chasing the 4. I saw the #3 get bet in the double (bris said the dam had 4 winners from 4 starters) but I wouldn't bite. The 6-12 double was coming back $29 so the $33 dbl on the #3 indicates it was bet severly. Rough day all around - I bet the #7 in the first at Oaklawn and got taken down with a 11-7 exacta in Oaklawn 6th. Not that any of this is a consolation..... ********* I had the 6, 10, 2 in the NY pic six and the 1 and 9 in the four I believe. "Sorry" NY bred 'dog' race at the end of the day.

Judge Gallivan
02-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Today the 5th race at Philly Park was won by a 5-yo first time starter Blaise N Tony at 11/1.

JustRalph
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
I seem to remember that when I used to play the Socal tracks 5 yr old maidens won on a semi regular basis.........Todd Schrupp used to whine about it........because he refused to play them on his pick 4 tickets

timp
02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
You might see this one win more than that.

GARY Z
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I am stting on a live pick six in NY yesterday to three . Just when I thought I had seen it all. 1000 ways to lose and only 1 way to win!

I share your frustration.While I was alive for 5, I did a $4.00 pick 4
with Potomac Moon(#6), with Cohen up, and while I liked the #!,
I correctly discarded the horse as Cohen was the regular rider(past
4 or 5 starts).

I did cover myself with #4 who looked like a winner until mid stretch,who
caused me futher grief.

This said, I was actually in George's barn on Xmas day, looking
a possible partnership.While I knew he trained Way of the Future, I
discounted his chances for your very reasons,and I don't ever
recollect him running a horse resembling this one.

But, I overlooked the fact the horse worked three times at Saratoga
during 10/2-11/4/09 and three times at Belmont from 11/13-12/14.

This horse could have shipped to FL, and with victory Gallop breeding,
probably Tampa as against AQU inner.

Lesson: This horse was actually well meant despite all the adverse factors.

woulda, coulda, yada yada