PDA

View Full Version : Did week 16 loss actually help the Colts?

Valuist
02-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm probably in the minority in this, but I am very tired of the crap Colts management has received over the decision to take a number of starters out midway thru the 3rd quarter in their week 16 game against the Jets. Ironically, LOSING that game may have helped them. How, you ask?

The Jets HAD to win their final two games to secure a wildcard berth. They trailed 15-10 to the Colts midway thru the 3rd quarter when many (but not all) of the Colts starters were taken out. The Jets went on to beat the Curtis Painter led Colts and then the finale against the Bengals to secure the wild card berth. San Diego was the 2nd seed, and the team the Colts feared the most, having knocked the Colts out of the playoffs the two previous seasons. The Chargers clearly match up well with Indianapolis. But the Jets derailed those plans, going into San Diego and knocking the Chargers out of the playoffs.

So the loss may have actually been beneficial to them, but a moronic talking head like Mitch Albom goes on ESPN and is STILL railing against Caldwell and Polian's decision to rest starters. At the time, many criticized the Colts saying they could disrupt the team form but that became a moot point once they beat the Ravens. I get the impression Albom pays very little attention to sports anymore.

ESPN: get rid of that idiot.......and GO COLTS.

Overlay
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I moved to my current home from Indiana, and I'm an unabashed Colts fan. I understand the reasoning for the substitutions against the Jets, and, of course, the Super Bowl is the main objective. I just look forward to the next occasion (and how many times does the chance come along?) that the stars will align properly, and a team (any team, although it would be nice if it could be the Colts) will have a shot at an undefeated season and post-season, and will be able to take full advantage of it and go for it, without having to strategize as to whether doing so will help them or hurt them with regard to the big prize. (Deep down, I guess I believe that if a team really had a pride-in-themselves/take-no-prisoners mindset, they'd go full throttle to beat every opponent, whatever the effect on playoff seedings, but maybe that attitude isn't part of the game as it's played today.)

chickenhead
02-07-2010, 05:34 PM
coming from a basketball background where substitutions are commonplace -- I think its idiotic that football teams don't pull their starters more often. I understand that this case had some special significance, so that's not really the point here, but if I coached a football team starters would be getting pulled on the regular in the 4th quarter. The wear and tear is too great to have starters being used up in games that have been decided.

CBedo
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I think it's just impossible to say one way or the other. Only thing you can say for sure, is that what they did has worked to get them here, nothing more, nothing less.

Valuist
02-07-2010, 05:43 PM
coming from a basketball background where substitutions are commonplace -- I think its idiotic that football teams don't pull their starters more often. I understand that this case had some special significance, so that's not really the point here, but if I coached a football team starters would be getting pulled on the regular in the 4th quarter. The wear and tear is too great to have starters being used up in games that have been decided.

I think those are valid points. Often times, you see a game out of hand and the starters are still all in. Yet you look at a sport like baseball, where the norm a generation ago was 4 man rotations......now 5 is the norm. Look at horse racing....the number of starts per year per horse has declined significantly. Maybe it has something to do with contracts or number of snaps played but it would seem logical to see more resting of starters.

Space Monkey
02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
My opinion is that the colts chickened out on the quest for the perfect season. All you had to do is look at the faces of their fans as that horrible 2nd half unfolded. What a letdown. How many chances does a franchise have to make history. The colts had a chance to become the greatest team in NFL history, and they passed. Shame on them. The Patriots didn't make, but at least they gave it their all. I have more respect for them in defeat as I will have for the colts if they colts win tonight.

Valuist
02-07-2010, 10:19 PM
My opinion is that the colts chickened out on the quest for the perfect season. All you had to do is look at the faces of their fans as that horrible 2nd half unfolded. What a letdown. How many chances does a franchise have to make history. The colts had a chance to become the greatest team in NFL history, and they passed. Shame on them. The Patriots didn't make, but at least they gave it their all. I have more respect for them in defeat as I will have for the colts if they colts win tonight.

I don't have respect for a team that cheats, and the Patriots cheated.

Rookies
02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Very late... but my thinking on this was:

WHY would you tank it in Week 16 and then go on the road in the snow and blizzard like conditions in Buffalo and have the stars play at least a quarter ?

Made zero sense to me. If you are already agreed on the strategy in Indianapolis, then Manning et al sit in the few covered boxes in Buffalo.