PDA

View Full Version : Why the Oaklawn Handicap should be the $5 million race

Moyers Pond
02-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I know Oaklawn has put up $5 million to get the fillies on the track, but the race has completely lost it's luster with Quality Road emerging as the horse to beat on the dirt this year.

There is no reason why Oaklawn should not invite the three to the Oaklawn Handicap with a $5million purse.

Weights

Quality Road (126) ML 8-5 obviously with his advantage of having 2 races under his belt he is the horse to beat.

Zenyatta (124) ML 2-1 She has never lost. Deserves to carry 124. Actually has a big advantage in her trying to close with the two front runners in there.

Rachel Alexandra (120) ML 5-2. She is at a huge disadvantage with the layoff and deserves the weight break. She would have to be a superhorse to stay with a seasoned Quality Road off the layoff. Doubt she shows up though because owner likes to pick easiest spots possible.

If Oaklawn can't pull this off, maybe Churchill can with the Stephen Foster. Obviously Zenyatta could just wait until the BCC at Churchill where she would likely run by both the distant challenged filly and colt at the 1/8th pole.

johnhannibalsmith
02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
For the record, setting a line on three horses without a supporting field is silly even if you make an effort to make the percentages add up. I also don't share the sentiment that horses get a break in the weights for sitting out, particularly when that horse was crowned Horse of the Year.

But carry on - yes, this would be a nifty match-up - but I'll just be happy to see 2/3 of them in the gate, in the same race, on the same day. I hope that now we aren't going to trivialize RA and Zen facing one another because of a 122 Beyer at Gulfstream after torturous months of insisting that the two females need to face one another for the history of racing to be complete.

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I know Oaklawn has put up $5 million to get the fillies on the track, but the race has completely lost it's luster with Quality Road emerging as the horse to beat on the dirt this year.One race over a preferred surface against suspect competition doesn't really prove all that much...hey, am I talking about Quality Road or Zenyatta? :lol:

Just kidding...sort of...that was a bang-up race by Quality Road, but putting him up as the one to beat is a little premature in my opinion.

It was only a few short months ago on the board that people were saying Quality Road sucked and couldn't get 10f...luckily, the Donn wasn't a furlong longer...:lol: :lol:

cj
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
It was only a few short months ago on the board that people were saying Quality Road sucked and couldn't get 10f...luckily, the Donn wasn't a furlong longer...:lol: :lol:

Don't forget that he should have been retired as well.

ExoticDancer
02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
One race over a preferred surface against suspect competition doesn't really prove all that much...hey, am I talking about Quality Road or Zenyatta? :lol:

Just kidding...sort of...that was a bang-up race by Quality Road, but putting him up as the one to beat is a little premature in my opinion.

But I would say Quality Road is clearly a monster and right now unbeatable. Horses don't run 122 Beyers going 2 turns very often.

tzipi
02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Rachel Alexandra (120 ML 5-2.) She is at a huge disadvantage with the layoff and deserves the weight break. She would have to be a superhorse to stay with a seasoned Quality Road off the layoff. Doubt she shows up though because owner likes to pick easiest spots possible.

JJ picks the easiest spots possible? A 3yo filly placed in the Preakness,The Haskel,and The Woodward against older males????
He took Curlin everywhere including to the turf against top turfers. Yeah Jackson picks the easiest spots? :rolleyes: He's not the one who does.

Moyers Pond
02-07-2010, 03:11 PM
JJ picks the easiest spots possible? A 3yo filly placed in the Preakness,The Haskel,and The Woodward against older males????
He took Curlin everywhere including to the turf against top turfers. Yeah Jackson picks the easiest spots? :rolleyes: He's not the one who does.

He skipped the Belmont (12f), Travers (10f), and the JCGC (10f). Yes, he picked the easy spots for a distance challenged filly.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
But I would say Quality Road is clearly a monster and right now unbeatable. Horses don't run 122 Beyers going 2 turns very often.

The hyperbole is just amazing...."unbeatable????". I will concede that if QR runs at his favorite track, against a poor field and gets the perfect trip again,, then yes, he is going to be hard to beat....throw him in with some good horses, like last fall, and I believe he will falter....

johnhannibalsmith
02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
He skipped the Belmont (12f), Travers (10f), and the JCGC (10f). Yes, he picked the easy spots for a distance challenged filly.

The nerve of a guy not running his filly at distances farther than she wants to go (according to you). I'm sure we could never uncover examples of other trainers and owners running horses within their distance limitations.

tzipi
02-07-2010, 03:21 PM

So you want to push a 3yo filly to the limits to run in every tough race? What about the horses health and safety?
Anyway, your point was he picks the "easiest spots" Forget the Belmont,JCGC,etc. The point is the Preakness,Haskell,and Woodward are NOT easy spots for a 3yo filly. Curlin was NOT entered into easy spots. So I just don't get how you say JJ picks the easiest spots?
Also the JCGC? Wasn't the horse to beat Summer Bird? RA trounced him in Jersey.

Robert Goren
02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
If QR looks around during the post parade and sees Z, he would refuse to get in the gate with her.:lol:

ExoticDancer
02-07-2010, 03:27 PM
The hyperbole is just amazing...."unbeatable????". I will concede that if QR runs at his favorite track, against a poor field and gets the perfect trip again,, then yes, he is going to be hard to beat....throw him in with some good horses, like last fall, and I believe he will falter....

Every time he runs you bet another horse and I will hold your $$$. I know a horse who is unbeatable when I see him.

Moyers Pond
02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
So you want to push a 3yo filly to the limits to run in every tough race? What about the horses health and safety?
Anyway, your point was he picks the "easiest spots" Forget the Belmont,JCGC,etc. The point is the Preakness,Haskell,and Woodward are NOT easy spots for a 3yo filly. Curlin was NOT entered into easy spots. So I just don't get how you say JJ picks the easiest spots?
Also the JCGC? Wasn't the horse to beat Summer Bird? RA trounced him in Jersey.

Yep, she trounced him on a sloppy track going 9f. She didn't have enough horse to compete with him at the 10f distance like Zenyatta did.

No big deal though, Jess Jackson can go 0 for 5 against Zenyatta this year and as long as he has the cases of wine and the NY crowd she will still have a shot at HOY. :lol:

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Every time he runs you bet another horse and I will hold your $$$. I know a horse who is unbeatable when I see him.

This is the second time I have seen you offer to hold someone else's money as a retort.....yet, you dont seem to reply with any facts when points are made to you about your opinions that expose them to be flawed. I have an ADW that I bet with so I dont really have the need for someone to hold my money but I appreciate the offer.

It is really amusing to see people like you get so excied about a horse that couldnt even beat a "worldbeater" like Hold Me Back......

tzipi
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Yep, she trounced him on a sloppy track going 9f. She didn't have enough horse to compete with him at the 10f distance like Zenyatta did.

No big deal though, Jess Jackson can go 0 for 5 against Zenyatta this year and as long as he has the cases of wine and the NY crowd she will still have a shot at HOY. :lol:

Wow. Well ok I'll stand by placing a 3yo filly in the Preakness,Haskell,and Woodward are not "easy spots" and that JJ did not pick easy spots for Curlin.

Tom
02-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Cross out QR's two monster wins at GP and then tell how unbeatable this horse looks.

andymays
02-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Cross out QR's two monster wins at GP and then tell how unbeatable this horse looks.

It might be that he just happened to be fit, healthy, and happy when he raced at Gulfstream. I'm thinking he's gonna be great on any dirt surface this year.

We will see.

OTM Al
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
He isn't racing again til May, so what would be your point? Met Mile is supposed to be his next. Personally I'm tired of all this pissing contest talk. I would find it much more significant for Zenyatta to race and win in Dubai than ever face Rachel. Let them all go their own ways and face down in the BC

Indulto
02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
A lot of people were previously just as excited about this horse at just about the same time of year after just the same kind of race over just the same track. Fortunately, whatever force(s) conspired to foil his Derby and BC participation -- and frustrate his supporters -- haven't followed him back to Florida. But what has he accomplished that would make anyone look forward to betting him with confidence against either the front-running filly or the ferociously-closing mare; much less both? And who will show up next after that 120+ Beyer – Quality Road or Bellamy Road?

Meanwhile, those plotting QR's HOTY campaign might consider determining his capacity for competing in Kentucky before he heads to New York for the summer. I'd make the $600k G1 Stephen Foster H. the primary objective over the Met Mile using the possibly upgraded $300k G3 Gulfstream Park H. as a prep. From there, the Whitney and Woodward at SAR followed by the JCGC at BEL could establish his HOTY credentials even if the BC Classic at CD proves not to be in the cards.

ExoticDancer
02-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Every time he races this year I will be happy to hold your money for your choice. What you saw was a rare 120+ performance going 2 turns and still many of you are questioning the talent you JUST SAW displayed. Unreal.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Every time he races this year I will be happy to hold your money for your choice. What you saw was a rare 120+ performance going 2 turns and still many of you are questioning the talent you JUST SAW displayed. Unreal.

That is three people now you have told that you will hold their money and you still only mention the Beyer...if you are so into his Beyer number, you should read his books and you would learn that how the figure was earned is a huge factor.......

Question, you seem to be a huge Quality Road fan-however, it seems like most of your enthusiasm came AFTER yesterday's race.....you must be savvy enough to realize that one great race doesnt make a horse a lock for anything, so where were all your pro Quality Road posts BEFORE yesterday's race????? If I missed them, I apologize in advance.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Also, as myself and many others have pointed out, Summer Bird kicked his ass twice.....and please dont use the slop as an excuse---he has a high Tomlinson number(395).....your other excuse was that he wasnt ready and that doesnt jibe because he had the Amsteradam to tighten up for both of his Summer Bird butt whoopins

Tom
02-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Deja vous all over again.
I remember a certain_poster_here (;)) who was mezmerized with a huge race by SNS I think it was? and this horse could not be beat. Except by about everything he ran against next time.

thespaah
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Please stop the nonsense.

dutzman
02-07-2010, 09:04 PM

They beat Secretariat. And Quality Road ain't no Secretariat......

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Just saying a horse, any horse, is unbeatable puts your credibility in question. Saying one with as many past physical and starting gate issues issues as Quality Road makes you seem really misguided......

ExoticDancer
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
They beat Secretariat. And Quality Road ain't no Secretariat......

How many G1 races did Secretariat win as a 4 year old ?

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM

I mentioned your credibility being questionable earlier.....I dont even have words to describe your credibility now, as you seem to be comparing Quality Road to Secretariat. If that is your intention, you are really, really embarrassing yourself.

tzipi
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM

WOW! Quality Road to Secretariat :lol: This is insane.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 10:13 PM
WOW! Quality Road to Secretariat :lol: This is insane.

I did a double take when I read it and at this point, think he/she is just writing ridculous things on purpose.....

tzipi
02-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I did a double take when I read it and at this point, think he/she is just writing ridculous things on purpose.....

Has to be on purpose. Check out the Beyer thread. He states no one in the 1973 Belmont field could break 2:04 for the Belmont,so that mean it was a weak field. 2:04?! I think they are just on here messing with people on purpose.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Has to be on purpose. Check out the Beyer thread. He states no one in the 1973 Belmont field could break 2:04 for the Belmont,so that mean it was a weak field. 2:04?! I think they are just on here messing with people on purpose.

I saw that and I agree with your theory....it stinks becaus there is so much to debate and have fun with right now without that crap.....since the thread is about the Oaklawn Handicap, we can ignore the Exotic D stuff and I will ask you directly..... if RA, QR and Zenyatta ran in the Oaklawn Handicap, who do you think would win?

tzipi
02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I saw that and I agree with your theory....it stinks becaus there is so much to debate and have fun with right now without that crap.....since the thread is about the Oaklawn Handicap, we can ignore the Exotic D stuff and I will ask you directly..... if RA, QR and Zenyatta ran in the Oaklawn Handicap, who do you think would win?

WOW tough one. QR might be a different horse now but he loves GP sooo..... not sure about him yet. I'd say RA or Zenyatta are better. Depends on pace for which of those two would win really. Both are so good, but they are two different styles.

Relwob Owner
02-07-2010, 11:28 PM
WOW tough one. QR might be a different horse now but he loves GP sooo..... not sure about him yet. I'd say RA or Zenyatta are better. Depends on pace for which of those two would win really. Both are so good, but they are two different styles.

Man, would it be a good race. It would be interesting to see how QR's presence would affect things pace wise with Rachel. After seeing her in person at the Woodward, I just think that she will do whatever it takes to get it done.....I just hope all three stay healthy

tzipi
02-07-2010, 11:49 PM
After seeing her in person at the Woodward, I just think that she will do whatever it takes to get it done.....I just hope all three stay healthy

Agree. I also so hope they all stay healthy. We need them and racing needs them.

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2010, 03:41 AM
He skipped the Belmont (12f), Travers (10f), and the JCGC (10f). Yes, he picked the easy spots for a distance challenged filly.Oh yes, I totally agree. When was the last time a filly DIDN'T run in the Belmont, Travers and/or JCGC....:rolleyes:

I think Rachel's connections should be flattered that you think she should have gone in those spots...after all, that's where all the top 3yo fillies race every year....:rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2010, 03:43 AM
No big deal though, Jess Jackson can go 0 for 5 against Zenyatta this year and as long as he has the cases of wine and the NY crowd she will still have a shot at HOY. :lol:Yes, but nobody is ever going to top the Moss "fake retirement" trick...too bad it didn't work...it was SO Hollywood of them to try and pull that one....:lol:

PaceAdvantage
02-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Deja vous all over again.
I remember a certain_poster_here (;)) who was mezmerized with a huge race by SNS I think it was? and this horse could not be beat. Except by about everything he ran against next time.Tom, you're good! Now, for the bonus round...name the retread you're thinking of!