PDA

View Full Version : Win/Place and Show Pools.

monistee
02-07-2010, 01:16 PM
How are the place and show pools divided. Are they divided equally between the 1st and second place and third finishers. Or does the winner get a fraction more in the place and show pools.

The reason I'm asking this question. There was a race where one horse had $20,000 bet on it. If he would of come in, the track would have lost money from that bet. But he didn't hit the board.

Overlay
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
For the place pool, the amounts bet to place on the horses that finished first and second are subtracted from the total pool, and the remainder is then divided equally between the first- and second-place finishers. For the show pool, the amounts bet to show on the first three finishers are subtracted from the total pool, and the remainder is then divided equally among the first three finishers.

monistee
02-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks Overlay! :ThmbUp:

Overlay
02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Of course, I should have also mentioned the track deducting its percentage off the very top of each total pool before any other subtracting or dividing up is done, so that the amount on which place and show payoffs are based is the net pool (after the track's deduction), rather than the total pool (as I erroneously implied). (I was focusing more on your specific question about how the net pool was allocated among the first/second or first/second/third finishers.) (Sorry.)