PDA

View Full Version : Unimpressive Horse of the Year campaigns

keithw84
02-06-2010, 06:59 PM
While debate continues about whether Rachel Alexandra or Zenyatta is better, I think most would agree that Rachel did put in a stellar year. What I want to discuss are the Horse of the Year honorees who had relatively unimpressive years. Who do you think was a surprising/unimpressive HOTY?

I am going to start by listing 1983's All Along - a great mare, but basically a French horse who had a couple dominant U.S. races.

cj
02-06-2010, 07:08 PM
She won three G1s in North America, when there was no BC and G1s were tougher, and the biggest race in the world the Arc de Triomphe. The DC International was the biggest turf race at the time.

Conquistador Cielo had a very weak resume. He won the Met with a big weight break and the Belmont. Those were his only G1 wins.

Ferdinand did win the BC Classic in 87, but also had only one other G1, the Hollywood Gold Cup.

Favorite Trick getting the award over Silver Charm was criminal.

Charasmatic won for a three race streak in a weak year. He was four for 10 on they year, one win by DQ.

keithw84
02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I think Silver Charm and Skip Away would've been better choices that year. Considering 2 year olds never race in open company, I think they need to do something pretty extraordinary to merit winning HOTY.

tzipi
02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Ferdinand did win the BC Classic in 87, but also had only one other G1, the Hollywood Gold Cup.

Theatrical that year won G1 after G1 race on turf. Shame he didn't win HOY.

only11
02-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Personal Ensign shouldve won HOY over Alysheba.

keithw84
02-07-2010, 05:30 PM

Probably would have won if he hadn't lost to Manila. Voting was really close that year.

Pace Cap'n
02-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Charasmatic won for a three race streak in a weak year. He was four for 10 on they year, one win by DQ.

Wow--I never realized he had nine starts under his belt going into the Belmont. Bet not many other horses have racked up that many lately.

delayjf
02-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Black Tie Affair - Won six straight but only G1 win was the BCC.