PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping the ads...

takeout
06-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Besides the bogus thread...

What a coincidence that I recently get the big white envelope from ITS hawking all of the Pizzolla stuff at "reduced prices" and all of the BS that usually comes with such ads. (They must use a shovel to stack it as high as they do in some of these ads.)

One might get the impression from all of these shenanigans that maybe there's a lot of leftover stuff in the warehouse. Ya think?

Jaguar
07-06-2003, 10:09 PM
In response to the praise for Magician, a couple of people have quite rightly pointed out that a Magician user is going to have to eat plenty of losers while waiting for that $15 horse.

Magician is a sort of "contrarian" value play method which requires the user to have nerves of steel and a Bill Gates bankroll... In other words, Magician is not a program for the manic handicapper like me, who is looking for winners.

I don't need anyone to tell me where value lies in a parimutuel pool, and I am capable of structuring my own bets, thank you very much.

That being said, no one can cast aspersions on the brilliant seminars conducted by Pizzola/Langjahr in the past 15 years, nor on their excellent exacta method.

The fundamental logical error in their approach to handicapping is that while the Pizzola acolytes are skipping races looking for "value"- or betting on longshots that lose a race, I probably have 5 discs in my over-stuffed diskette boxes which give me the same animal, an $8 horse which wins-- and I see it every week.

Any decent handicapping program, from Plus5, Common Ground, AODDS, Multi-Strats, e-ponies, Multicaps, etc., etc. will often point to the class -dropping, strong- closing entry which often wins.

Sure you get alot of chalk, racing is full of legitimate favorites, but you get some decent prices as well, especially when the software's pick is not a "newspaper" pick.

My question to Mike Pizzola(and I acknowledge that he is a smarter man than I am, my friends will tell you that) is "Mike, why do you bother? You're program is weak. What's the point?

All the best,

Jaguar
In other

Maxspa
07-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Jaguar,
After reading your post, I couldn't help but comment on the latest Allways Newsletter. The heading was ," The Curse of the Legitimate Favorite" and outlined in gray was the following ," Never bet against a legitimate favorite!"Never" bet on a legitimate favorite. Certainly strong opinions and ones that many of us could use especially when we've lost a couple of races and we are trying to recoup.
Maxspa

hurrikane
07-06-2003, 11:05 PM
well...couple of IMO's...

I never thought of Pizzola as contrarian at all..not there.

Maxpa,

many of us could use especially when we've lost a couple of races and we are trying to recoup.

the synanym for 'recoup losses' is 'loser'. Not a good frame of mind...ever.

Just MO.....

andicap
07-07-2003, 10:21 AM
I dont understand the derogatory comments about the program.

There have been more than a few people on this board who have lavished praise on the program. It works for them and not for other people.
I don't think they are plants.

HM is not for me -- I don't like to sit around and win 14% of my races waiting for that $18 winner -- losing 20 in a row is too rough on the nerves.
But if others made it work -- why throw around all the negative
comments?

Maxspa
07-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Andicap,
Charlie Mone will have to be alerted. I haven't seen him in over a year but I'm sure he have an approach to discuss with you over a few beers in the far end of the grandstand.
Maxspa

Dave Schwartz
07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
CHarlie! I had forgotten him! Yes, we'll have to get him up to Saratoga.

Thanks, Max, for the great idea.

Dave

andicap
07-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Maxspa
Andicap,
Charlie Mone will have to be alerted. I haven't seen him in over a year but I'm sure he have an approach to discuss with you over a few beers in the far end of the grandstand.
Maxspa

Charlie! I'd love to see him at Saratoga. I'll be there one day only, Aug. 23rd
with the Sufferin Downs crowd. I know he usually comes Travers Day with
a bunch of friends and a whole bunch of beer. At least he used to.

Haven't seen him in years and he hasn't been at his usual spot
in the grandstand when I've been up there.

Why did you bring up Charlie's name, tho? Does he use
HM? Or are you an old Prodigy member as well?

What's Charlie up to these days? Is he handicapping? Got his email?

Dave Schwartz
07-07-2003, 08:22 PM
I tried Charlie's old telephone number but it was, as expected, out of service. (Haven't called him in about 5 years.)

If anyone has an email or telephone number for him, I'd sure like to have it.

Dave

andicap
07-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Maxspa
Andicap,
Maxspa

Ah, I know who you are now. Glad to hear from you.

How's the lobster at the Weathervane these days?

Maxspa
07-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Andycap,
I sent Dave S. a couple of recent numbers to try and we'll have to wait to see if either of them located that rascal!
Maxspa

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Max,

Spoke with Charlie... the second number you gave me worked... and he asked me to post it here so that any of his old friends could call him.

518-664 -7026

The plan is he'll try to get up to Saratoga that week.

Thanks again, Max.

Dave

Maxspa
07-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Dave,
Terrific, I'm glad I was able to help. I know that your phone call had to make Charlie feel tremendous. Great guy with lots of charisma.
Maxspa