PDA

View Full Version : So, what d'ya think Oaklawn's Big Annoucement will be?

WinterTriangle
02-03-2010, 03:56 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/February/02/Oaklawn-set-for-greatest-stakes-race-announcement.aspx (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/February/02/Oaklawn-set-for-greatest-stakes-race-announcement.aspx)

Oaklawn Park owner Charles Cella and officials from the Oaklawn Jockey Club have sent out invitations to media outlets and others to promote what it calls “one of the greatest stakes races” in the history of the 100-year-old Hot Springs, Arkansas, racetrack.

Specifics were not immediately known about the announcement, which will come at 10 a.m. CST on Thursday at the Post Parade Restaurant at Oaklawn.

Surely, I'm thinking, this can't just be an annoucement that they are raising purses or something for one of the races? ;)

Um...........

Bettowin
02-03-2010, 04:23 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/February/02/Oaklawn-set-for-greatest-stakes-race-announcement.aspx (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/February/02/Oaklawn-set-for-greatest-stakes-race-announcement.aspx)

Oaklawn Park owner Charles Cella and officials from the Oaklawn Jockey Club have sent out invitations to media outlets and others to promote what it calls “one of the greatest stakes races” in the history of the 100-year-old Hot Springs, Arkansas, racetrack.

Specifics were not immediately known about the announcement, which will come at 10 a.m. CST on Thursday at the Post Parade Restaurant at Oaklawn.

Surely, I'm thinking, this can't just be an annoucement that they are raising purses or something for one of the races? ;)

Um...........

Can't believe it includes Rachel or Z unless they are going to commit to a very very large purse contingent on both R and Z showing up. I have my tickets and condo reservations for the Rebel and Derby so anything in between will be a blessing:)

GARY Z
02-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Looks like I'm posting the same answer, when the the two
"First Ladies" finally get to meet!

Jerry Moss did idicate at the Eclipse awards His crew is set to travel
and race at various tracks(dirt) to prep for the BC this year which will be held at CD

FenceBored
02-03-2010, 08:31 AM
If it is what we think it is, let's all hope that both camps are smart enough not to focus on their rival so much that they lose sight of the others in the race.

And here's hoping it is only Round 1 of many. :ThmbUp:

Moyers Pond
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
It is probably a stakes race designed to bring Zenyatta and Rachel together.

I think Zenyatta is going to show up no matter what. She is playing with house money after they gave Rachel HOY, now all the pressure is on Rachel to show up.

I find it hard to believe Rachel will want to take on Zenyatta considering Zenyatta has a huge edge because she really has not been out of training. Rachel on the other hand has not raced for 5 months and would stand zero chance of beating a horse like Zenyatta off a 6+ month layoff.

The two really need to set out a map of three races. One at 9f (Stephen Foster), one at 10f (JCGC), and then the BCC.

I don't want to hear the excuses when Rachel loses that she was not fit. I want Zenyatta to beat her after she has had her race to get back into form.

johnhannibalsmith
02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
$5M Apple Blossom if both show.

strapper
02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Can you imagine the people who will flock to Hot Springs for this long anticipated showdown????? And the national, maybe international media, to cover it! It would be the greatest day in Oaklawn's storied history for sure. :)

Bettowin
02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Oaklawn has lost a few days to the weather and/or power problems. Maybe they are going to announce an extra day or two and offer a special stakes race for Rachel and Z? We will find out tommorrow:)

HuggingTheRail
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
:lol: They are going to announce the new "Stupidfecta" wager, in which you must select the 1st place horse in the 1st race, the 2nd place horse in the 2nd, 3rd place horse in the 3rd, and so on throughout the card

The wager will have a takeout of 42%, and if there is a race with not enough entrants, ie: there is not 9 horses in the 9th, then the pool will carryover

Moyers Pond
02-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Can you imagine the people who will flock to Hot Springs for this long anticipated showdown????? And the national, maybe international media, to cover it! It would be the greatest day in Oaklawn's storied history for sure. :)

I think you are living in a horse racing bubble if you think people on the outside actually care. This race might make ESPN 2 and no media will be flocking to Arkansas for the Apple Blossom (same weekend as Final 4 in basketball).

This meeting between the two will never get national attention unless it is the Breeders Cup and there is some third horse from somewhere in Europe or somewhere.

Horse racing has 3 weekend for national attention. The Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont if there is a triple crown on the line. Sadly, nobody cares about some filly and mare racing each other in some stakes race nobody ever heard of.

FenceBored
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Apple Blossom is scheduled for April 3rd, the same day as the Wood and the SA Derby (for which CD has already arranged for NBC coverage). With a little work maybe they could fit all three into the telecast.

castaway01
02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
The best announcement would be if they had confirmation that both horses were planning to come to the Apple Blossom.

The most likely announcement is that they're boosting the purse way up IF both horses come. That's just going to lead to more arguments down the road if one or both are not deemed "ready" by April 3rd.

castaway01
02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I think you are living in a horse racing bubble if you think people on the outside actually care. This race might make ESPN 2 and no media will be flocking to Arkansas for the Apple Blossom (same weekend as Final 4 in basketball).

This meeting between the two will never get national attention unless it is the Breeders Cup and there is some third horse from somewhere in Europe or somewhere.

Horse racing has 3 weekend for national attention. The Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont if there is a triple crown on the line. Sadly, nobody cares about some filly and mare racing each other in some stakes race nobody ever heard of.

You're right, technically, any more than more than a "niche" audience cares about a track and field showdown or, for that matter, the Stanley Cup playoffs. However, this is a horse racing board and most of us care, so you can't blame the track for acting like its a big deal because in the racing world, it would be.

Nikki1997
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll be at Oaklawn if Zenyatta ships in. Big purse or not. Rachel or not.

Bettowin
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Someone at Oaklawn slipped up and the media found out it's going to be Friesen Fire vs Quality Road:)

LOL

Tom
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM
They have lured Michael Gill to move there and fill up the races for them.:rolleyes:

PhantomOnTour
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
They're finally going to hire a REAL track announcer? :cool:

Steve 'StatMan'
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
They have lured Michael Gill to move there and fill up the races for them.:rolleyes:

Michael Gill's goint to buy the track and be the only owner allowed to enter horses, so he can't be kicked out. :liar:

andymays
02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
How about racings first superdome? ;)

PaceAdvantage
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I think Zenyatta is going to show up no matter what. She is playing with house money after they gave Rachel HOY, now all the pressure is on Rachel to show up.You have a habit of not repsonding to replies, so I doubt I'll get an answer, but I must ask you...why would you think the pressure is on Rachel?

Many already regard Zenyatta as the superior horse and Rachel already has her HOY.

So I must ask you. How is the pressure NOT on Zenyatta, a horse whose connections clearly want a HOY, a horse who will be risking her perfect record every time she races, and a horse who must prove to her detractors that she is more than a synthetic wonder horse.

To me, clearly the pressure is on camp Zenyatta.

Saratoga_Mike
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
When RA does get around to beating Z, you'll quickly see Z fans pivot to the age issue: "Z's past her prime"..."if only RA had shown up for the BC"..."how can you expect a 6-yr-old to beat a 4-yr-old mare?" I can hear it now. Funny thing is the Z fans never praised RA for beating older horses, males at that, in the Woodward.

OTM Al
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
It should be clear to everyone that they will be announcing the construction of a turf course.....

OntheRail
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
As long as it's not... We are putting in ProRide. :faint:

But my guess is the Stars and Moon for a RA-Z start. ;)

castaway01
02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
It should be clear to everyone that they will be announcing the construction of a turf course.....

Got to earn the second half of that name.

Mineshaft
02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
This will never happen

SmartyLane
02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I am planning on going no matter what. Had planned on going to the Arkansas Derby this year for the first time, but whether RA is there I am going and hopefully my dad will come with. I have seen Z twice, both times in the Breeders Cup races. I would love for dad to see her also. I sure hope RA goes to, but I just don't think it will happen in the Apple Blossom. She can't possibly be ready for Z by then IMO. If and when they meet, I want it to be when there could be no possible excuses from anyone.

Prior to the BCC I thought Z would never catch RA. Now I am not so sure, and I can't wait till the day when these two meet up.

Live in Kansas City, this will be a lot better then having to fly to CA to watch races.

eastie
02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
made ya look !:D i thought it was supposed to be announced at 11 ?

BirdstoneFTW
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
$5M Apple Blossom if both show.

Nice inside info. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
02-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Got to earn the second half of that name.

What "Al"? That's the name my mama gave me, more or less.

So what makes this any different that the mattress king trying this in Texas or Belmont announcing similar terms last year?

This was no announcement of anything. The announcement that would matter is both are entered.

I'm still going to hold out for a turf course!

Moyers Pond
02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
You have a habit of not repsonding to replies, so I doubt I'll get an answer, but I must ask you...why would you think the pressure is on Rachel?

Many already regard Zenyatta as the superior horse and Rachel already has her HOY.

So I must ask you. How is the pressure NOT on Zenyatta, a horse whose connections clearly want a HOY, a horse who will be risking her perfect record every time she races, and a horse who must prove to her detractors that she is more than a synthetic wonder horse.

To me, clearly the pressure is on camp Zenyatta.

The pressure is on Rachel because she is the HOY, not Zenyatta. Not too hard to figure out. She loses and everyone sees her HOY as nothing but an east coast biased fraud award.

I think the real concern for Rachel is Zenyatta will make her look bad, just like she made the boys look bad in the BCC. Zenyatta has a way of making her competition look very ordinary. Rachel on the other hand battles it out with the Macho Agains and Mine That Birds of the world.

johnhannibalsmith
02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
... Zenyatta has a way of making her competition look very ordinary...

You're giving Zenyatta too much credit for something that, for the most part, her competition does very well on its own.

OTM Al
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
The pressure is on Rachel because she is the HOY, not Zenyatta. Not too hard to figure out. She loses and everyone sees her HOY as nothing but an east coast biased fraud award.

Um, this might make sense maybe (though probably not) if the horse actually could understand the award and the crazed expectations of certain people, but frankly, Rachel, last time I checked, is a horse who can neither read nor understand English. I think she would much rather have an oatmeal cookie and a peppermint than some silly statue. I'm pretty sure Zenyatta feels much the same about the matter, though since she races in CA perhaps she may have a fondness for fish tacos.

See why I'd much rather the announcement had been the installation of a turf course?

WinterTriangle
02-04-2010, 06:30 PM

I think you seriously underestimate the Oaklawn attraction. As I mentioned, when SA was getting less then 5K people on a Sat, a "normal" Sat at Oaklawn is often 30K people. ARK Derby usually gets about 65K people, and would probably get more if there was room......in the complex, on the roads, and in the town for hotels etc, which is really a small town and doesn't have much in it.

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
She loses and everyone sees her HOY as nothing but an east coast biased fraud award.This is SO not true, it's not even funny.

She was given HOY because her 2009 campaign was more impressive than Zenyatta's. Since they never faced each other in 2009, how can losing to Zenyatta in 2010 tarnish her 2009 HOY award?

Short answer? It can't.

Rachel has NOTHING to lose...she already has the HOY.

Zenyatta, on the other hand, has her undefeated record to lose, along with another potential HOY.

The pressure is clearly on Zenyatta's connections.

OntheRail
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM

I think the real concern for Rachel is Zenyatta will make her look bad, just like she made the boys look bad in the BCC. Zenyatta has a way of making her competition look very ordinary. Rachel on the other hand battles it out with the Macho Agains and Mine That Birds of the world.
She did not mak'em look that way... that was what most of her races were filled with ordinary horses. Then she ran against over and over. When they want to add weight to make things more even.... well we all know what happened in CA. And when they ran the BC on plastic again the best did not come to run. If it was at Spa we'd of had a whole nother race.

Rachel is many things but ordinary is not one of them. ;)