PDA

View Full Version : PETA vs. Punxsutawney Phil

BlueShoe
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
The whackos are at it again. Tuesday is Groundhog Day, a light hearted occasion that is usually viewed with amusement and good spirits. Not by PETA though. They feel that the famous rodent is being subjected to stressful treatment on this day, and they want him to be replaced, by get this, a robot. So will Phil become the first groundhog in history to be replaced by a machine?
www.csmonitor.com/innovation/horizons/2010/0201/groundhog-day-PETA-wants-to-replace-Punxsutawney-Phil-with-a-robot (http://www.csmonitor.com/innovation/horizons/2010/0201/groundhog-day-PETA-wants-to-replace-Punxsutawney-Phil-with-a-robot)

skate
02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Yep Blueshoe;

We should start a movement, as a mater of fact, we could use one of the Pitas peeople to replace the robot.

What else would we do with a Groundhog, it's his day.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
What else would we do with a Groundhog, it's his day.

Well, you got your Fried Groundhog. Roast Groundhog. Groundhog Ribs. Groundhog Liver. Ground Groundhog (that groundhog's nickname is "Chuck"). Braised Groundhog. Leg of Groundhog. Groundhog on a stick.......

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Mechanical Groundhog! LOL! A $1.5 million device that electronically scans for digital images of it's own, preprogrammed silouette. They should have waited until a while longer until the technology gets better and less expensive. :liar: :lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
A friend of mine says that the Ipod has an app for that.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
PETA has thousands of Apps. Whenever anyone from PETA says something to the media, thousands of normal people go "AAAAPPPPPP!!!!."

Steve 'StatMan'
02-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I know this really isn't a groundhog, but the situation really called for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8of00uEVRRA

Sorry for too many posts earlier. I should have waited a little bit until all the other posters could take their shots and share in this bit of comic party food.

skate
02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, you got your Fried Groundhog. Roast Groundhog. Groundhog Ribs. Groundhog Liver. Ground Groundhog (that groundhog's nickname is "Chuck"). Braised Groundhog. Leg of Groundhog. Groundhog on a stick.......

Now see that, i thought you were from "the Windy", but heh, like you say, you can eat well in Mississippi also.

Tom
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
So now it's Phil comes out and if he sees his lawyer, he gets 6 more grand in the settlement?

johnhannibalsmith
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks to Bill Murray anytime anyone says anything about a groundhog I hear Sonny Bono squalling that he's got me, babe.

BlueShoe
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks to Bill Murray anytime anyone says anything about a groundhog I hear Sonny Bono squalling that he's got me, babe.
For those that like this film, or at least Sonny and Cher, one of the movie channels, Encore, is running a Groundhog Day marathon tomorrow. If you wish, can watch it over and over again.:D Groundhog Day is perhaps my favorite holiday of the entire year. No stress or pressure to spend outlandish sums of money, overeat, get drunk, travel long distances, spend time with family members that you do not like, and so on. Just light hearted tongue in cheek fun and relaxation, what a holiday was meant to be. Pity that it does not get more attention. Forecasts say that things will be stormy in PA Feb 2, but regardless, a tip of the cap to Punxsutawney Phil.:ThmbUp:

witchdoctor
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
What do groundhogs taste like?

Rick
member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)since 1958

boxcar
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
For those that like this film, or at least Sonny and Cher, one of the movie channels, Encore, is running a Groundhog Day marathon tomorrow. If you wish, can watch it over and over again.:D Groundhog Day is perhaps my favorite holiday of the entire year. No stress or pressure to spend outlandish sums of money, overeat, get drunk, travel long distances, spend time with family members that you do not like, and so on. Just light hearted tongue in cheek fun and relaxation, what a holiday was meant to be. Pity that it does not get more attention. Forecasts say that things will be stormy in PA Feb 2, but regardless, a tip of the cap to Punxsutawney Phil.:ThmbUp:

Do me a favor from here on in: Please send me a Groundhog's Day Card every year to remind that it's as "holiday". :D

Boxcar

Dave Schwartz
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Statman,

Well, it seems that YOU are really enjoying the plight of the poor little groundhog.

Totally insensitive.

How would YOU like to be forced to work a grueling schedule like he does? 2 days a year! Meanwhile, you have to be fed and cared for while you do nothing?

And, to top it off, you j-o-b is... get this... to decide whether or not you want to get out of bed!

(Okay, maybe it is only one day a year. I was thinking that in some eyars he has to show himself again, but I guess not.)

Dave

PS: Loved your posts.

Mechanical Groundhog! LOL! A $1.5 million device that electronically scans for digital images of it's own, preprogrammed silouette. They should have waited until a while longer until the technology gets better and less expensive.

A friend of mine says that the Ipod has an app for that.

PETA has thousands of Apps. Whenever anyone from PETA says something to the media, thousands of normal people go "AAAAPPPPPP!!!!."

I know this really isn't a groundhog, but the situation really called for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8of00uEVRRA

Sorry for too many posts earlier. I should have waited a little bit until all the other posters could take their shots and share in this bit of comic party food.

Tom
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's what happens tomorrow.

Stileriled up logs on and if he sees a post by Dahoss, we have 6 more weeks of Zenyatta talk.

BlueShoe
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Do me a favor from here on in: Please send me a Groundhog's Day Card every year to remind that it's as "holiday". :D
Do I need to make a trip to Hallmark and then the Postoffice, or will just bumping this thread each year be sufficient? ;)

Pace Cap'n
02-01-2011, 08:27 PM
What do groundhogs taste like?

Rick
member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)since 1958

If you cook them right, they taste a lot like a bald eagle.

witchdoctor
02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boxcar
02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Do I need to make a trip to Hallmark and then the Postoffice, or will just bumping this thread each year be sufficient? ;)

Ahh...you're classier than that. A nifty e-card would be a nice touch. :D

Boxcar

Steve 'StatMan'
02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Fun thread! I forgot about it from last year.

Crappy weather here in Chicago near the lake. Don't know, but expect it to be similar in Pa. along with a long string of states and places.

I'm wondering if Punxsutawny Phil will 'tell' the humans its too crappy out to check, he already knows there will be 6 more weeks of winter.

Ah yes, the Dramtic Groundhog! I love it!

How do they taste? All depends on how you cook them. If I cook them, probably all taste terrible. (That's odd, they all turn into Groundhog Flambe.)

Dave Schwartz
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Is that like spotted owl?

(I kind of like leaving eagles alone. At least they have meaning.)

BlueShoe
02-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Totally insensitive.

How would YOU like to be forced to work a grueling schedule like he does? 2 days a year! Meanwhile, you have to be fed and cared for while you do nothing?
How awful, suggesting that Phil has a civil service job and is a member of a public service employees union.:eek: That is really insensitive.:(

JustRalph
02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Tom, you are killing me......... :lol:

Dave, why would you think Owls have no meaning ?

Somebody has to figure out how many licks .........

witchdoctor
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Is that like spotted owl?

(I kind of like leaving eagles alone. At least they have meaning.)

Eagle taste alot like whooping crane.

BlueShoe
02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY EVERYONE. The best holiday of the year is here again. :jump: :jump: Hooray for Punxsutawney Phil. Phil just saw his shadow a few minutes ago, so six more weeks of winter. Phil lives on, the nut cases have not been able to replace him with a robot like the whackos tried last year. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Tom
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
However, Ted Nugent did take a shot at him this year!

turninforhome10
02-02-2012, 09:55 AM

"Song birds are tastiest on the griill"
"Groundhog is best in the slow cooker"
Southern Iowa cooking with Poacher Rick

Jay Trotter
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I saw a headline somewhere that read....Phil Comes Out

....I thought it was a "gay" thing!

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/Gordon_The_Gopher_431x300.jpg

Robert Goren
02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I really don't know who is more pitiful. PETA for bitching about ground hog day ceremonies or the people bitching about PETA for bitching about ground hog day ceremonies. They both are desperately in need of a life as am I for putting up this post.

BlueShoe
02-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I really don't know who is more pitiful. PETA for bitching about ground hog day ceremonies or the people bitching about PETA for bitching about ground hog day ceremonies.
Phil serves a purpose. PETA commit and endorse acts of domestic terrorism and serve no purpose.

DJofSD
02-03-2012, 08:53 AM
And they all taste better than California condor. Yuck!

Valuist
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
PETA has a 95% "success" rate. That is, if success is killing animals that come thru their doors:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

BlueShoe
02-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Once again the Nation is poised on this the eve of this our most cherished national holiday to pay tribute to our most beloved living treasure, the one and only Punxsutawney Phil, long may he prosper. :ThmbUp: Am sure that like myself, others share my deep devotion and reverence for this and every February 2nd. ;) :cool: :)

Actor
02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
What do groundhogs taste like?They taste a lot like racoon. Racoons are highly intelligent and hard to kill. They know how to zig zag. One argument for a high capacity magazine. :lol:

I'm against killing animals for sport, but sport is one thing, supper is another. :bang:

Steve 'StatMan'
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Yumm! Just tried the Hormel precooked Groundhog with Gravy! Good eating!

Tom
02-02-2013, 10:19 AM
So that's why they call it Gobbler's Knob!

BlueShoe
02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
All hail to Phil! Once again the nation stands poised to honor the treasured rodent of Punxsutawney on this the eve of our most revered holiday. While many will focus on some obscure athletic contest in New Jersey ;) , others will honor and pay homage to this our most meaningful holiday of the year, Groundhog Day. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Anyone know the origins of this tradition?
Seems odd waiting for a rodent to pop up and do his best "farmer's Almanac" impersonation.

Tom
02-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Tomorrow morning, Chris Christie will come outside, and if he sees his shadow, we have 6 more weeks of backed up traffic.