PDA

View Full Version : Baffert Appreciation

Relwob Owner
01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Gabby's Golden Gal wins the G1 Santa Monica......another amazing training job put in by Bob Baffert. With all of the negatives currently going on in our sport, I feel like Baffert is consistently a huge positive. He is brash, colorful and I feel like he is somewhat underappreciated.....some have said he is arrogant at times but I say that is OK because he can back it up. What do you think????????

tzipi
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Gabby's Golden Gal wins the G1 Santa Monica......another amazing training job put in by Bob Baffert. With all of the negatives currently going on in our sport, I feel like Baffert is consistently a huge positive. He is brash, colorful and I feel like he is somewhat underappreciated.....some have said he is arrogant at times but I say that is OK because he can back it up. What do you think????????

See that's the problem with racing. Every other sport likes the brash and outspoken guys. It's promotion. But when Bob was dominating the TC he was looked at as bad. Same with Lukas. Its better to be quiet and respect everyone else and say their horse is going to win. I have NEVER heard Bob or D Wayne say anything that was horrible about people or life,like I have heard in other sports. but they are bad because our sport is so upper crust I guess.

Terrell Owens trashes everything. Ocho Cinco,etc. Saying some harsh stuff about people, teamates,etc.
Sean Avery(NHL) tells a ex-teamate on TV about a girl, "Enjoy my sloppy seconds" There's a million tv interview tales in so many other sports!
Bob or D Wayne says hell my horse will whip yours or has a little fun and it's OMG that's just wrong.

Ok and NO ONE outside of us players can name a trainer,jockey,owner etc. Funny huh.

ManeMediaMogul
01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Bob Baffert is a Hall of Fame trainer and quite possibly the best in the U.S. although fellow Hall of Famer Jonathan Sheppard would certainly have a say in the outcome of that vote.

tzipi
01-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Bob Baffert is a Hall of Fame trainer and quite possibly the best in the U.S. although fellow Hall of Famer Jonathan Sheppard would certainly have a say in the outcome of that vote.

Who's that jockey in your avatar?

miesque
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
This might sound a tad silly, but I now have a much greater appreciation of Bob Baffert then I did several years ago because I have seen him learn to adapt to something he was not fond of and figure out how adapt, adjust and learn how to thrive in a different environment aka synthetic tracks. If you notice his works are a tad more stamina oriented then they used to be and he is now quite successful on it.

Spalding No!
01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
If you notice his works are a tad more stamina oriented then they used to be and he is now quite successful on it.

In what way are Baffert's works more stamina-oriented?

tzipi
01-31-2010, 10:35 PM
I just wish he was more in the spotlight like years ago and that it was more apprectiated by the whole racing community.

tunasteve
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
That's Mrs. Fred Astaire - Robyn Smith.

Spalding No!
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
That's Mrs. Fred Astaire - Robyn Smith.

Did she ride him when he was 3rd in the BC Mile?

cj
01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Another G1 taken by a horse Rachel beat a couple football fields.

westny
01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I've long admired Baffert, but his feat on War Emblem was astonishing.
WE was a high strung, willful horse who trained/raced on the Sportsman Park Auto track that was under a concrete highway. What a dump.

Reinneman,an old multimillonaire skinflint shared breeding with Nuchols Farm.
Springer, the trainer was the "old time type midwest type". Neither had aspirations for the unruly WE who justed wanted to run fast,bite and be aggressive. WE was a "head-case".

Baffert bought WE for the sheikh Ahmed bin Salman, and turned WE into the Kentucky Derby winner a few weeks later. That was impressive. Shows why Baffert in HOF too.

Greyfox
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Gabby's Golden Gal wins the G1 Santa Monica......What do you think????????

Agreed. Gabby's Golden Gal as a previous G1 Winner at Belmont was a huge overlay. The SA works were there for all to see.

cj
01-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I've long admired Baffert, but his feat on War Emblem was astonishing.
WE was a high strung, willful horse who trained/raced on the Sportsman Park Auto track that was under a concrete highway. What a dump.

Reinneman,an old multimillonaire skinflint shared breeding with Nuchols Farm.
Springer, the trainer was the "old time type midwest type". Neither had aspirations for the unruly WE who justed wanted to run fast,bite and be aggressive. WE was a "head-case".

Baffert bought WE for the sheikh Ahmed bin Salman, and turned WE into the Kentucky Derby winner a few weeks later. That was impressive. Shows why Baffert in HOF too.

I think this is a HUGE stretch. Baffert didn't do very much with the horse at all. He relaxed just fine winning the Illinois Derby easily, and with the previous year's Derby fresh in the mind of the jockeys, he relaxed again to win the Derby with an uncontested lead.

I like Baffert, but he didn't do anything special with that horse. He was the same horse the rest of his career as he was before Baffert got him.

Kimsus
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
I think this is a HUGE stretch. Baffert didn't do very much with the horse at all. He relaxed just fine winning the Illinois Derby easily, and with the previous year's Derby fresh in the mind of the jockeys, he relaxed again to win the Derby with an uncontested lead.

I like Baffert, but he didn't do anything special with that horse. He was the same horse the rest of his career as he was before Baffert got him.

Baffert basically bought a derby, I remember he mentioned he liked his number from Sportmanspark remember that track? and made an offer on behalf of the Prince. He did give him a legal drug that helped strengthen his joints or something to that effect, but it was basiscally the other trainer that developed WE.

46zilzal
01-31-2010, 11:04 PM

I agree. the HORSE not the connections was the class act that won the Derby. NO ONE turns any animal around that quickly....IF at all.

miesque
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
In what way are Baffert's works more stamina-oriented?

Well for starters, if you want to use Gabbys Golden Gal as an example, you will notice her last three works were as follows

25 Jan SA 6 f
20 Jan Hol 6 f
13 Jan SA 5 f

Technically speaking 6 furlong works are stamina works.

I forgot to add that I would be remiss if I did not add that the galloping regime also has an impact.

tzipi
I agree WE was a good horse to start with with good speed. BUT I will say so many trainers have told me, "It's so hard to make a bad horse good but it's SO EASY to make a good horse bad" :lol:

Kimsus
The best move the trainer made was getting Ezpinoza aboard, anyone that saw Chris Rosier's performance in last yrs derby would know what I mean.

Dahoss9698
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
The best move the trainer made was getting Ezpinoza aboard, anyone that saw Chris Rosier's performance in last yrs derby would know what I mean.

What did Rosier do wrong in the Derby?

Spalding No!
01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Well for starters, if you want to use Gabbys Golden Gal as an example, you will notice her last three works were as follows

25 Jan SA 6 f
20 Jan Hol 6 f
13 Jan SA 5 f

Technically speaking 6 furlong works are stamina works.

I forgot to add that I would be remiss if I did not add that the galloping regime also has an impact.

I don't know about the work distances. I recall most of his top horses in previous years (prior to synthetics) always breezing 6f and sometimes 7f, even when they alreadyy had several races under their belts.

Not to mention his notorious "Go, go, go" style of breezing (remember the walkie-talkies?). Given that his workout times haven't really changed, I'm not sure how one could say he has altered the workout style if they we're already going full bore to begin with.

As for the gallops, I couldn't comment if he's altered his program since I don't watch his horses train.

Ejmenz
02-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Baffert is a GREAT trainer, one for the ages, but War Emblem was nothing more then a bi product of his earlier success.

I'll always remember WE for his Beyer superiority in the race, how much he paid considering that number, and how Andy didn't even pick him, I love Andy Beyer, but it goes to show you, this handicapping stuff can be very confusing.

Seabiscuit@AR
02-01-2010, 02:23 AM
No one can prove either way if War Emblem would have won the Ky Derby if not trained by Baffert. But my guess is most likely War Emblem would have run 8th or 10th in the Derby if not trained by Baffert

Stillriledup
02-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Gabby's GG is 'nothing'. After all, she's one of the 'nothings' that Rachel beat last year, right folks?

illinoisbred
02-01-2010, 06:58 AM

In my opinion you couldn't be more correct. Baffert didn't move this horse up into something he wasn't.

Kimsus
02-01-2010, 08:01 AM
What did Rosier do wrong in the Derby?

When Tim Ice went to Kent Desourmeux that is when the horse ascended to 3 gr.1 stakes wins and 1 gr.1 placing. Rosier is a journeyman Oaklawn jock that rode like a rookie in the Derby (check the difference in trips with Mine That Bird) whereas Calvin Borel who is really underrated Churchill jockey rode an outstanding race. Reverse the trips and Mine That Bird doesn't win by 6.

FenceBored
02-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Another G1 taken by a horse Rachel beat a couple football fields.

Wasn't there also a ZenPal (Made for Magic) in that race?

Robert Goren
02-01-2010, 08:57 AM
GGG is my favorite horse right now. I had her pretty good in the Acorn. She got too hot that day and to be hosed down after the race. She missed the winner's circle picture that day. She is no RA, but very good filly no the less.

westny
02-01-2010, 09:41 AM

I doubt your opinion has much validity. WE was never headed to the Derby until Baffert bought him.

"Thoroughbred trainer Bob Baffert, whose horses won the Kentucky Derby in 1997 and '98, didn't have a steed good enough to enter this year's Run for the Roses. Neither did Russell Reineman, a Chicago businessman and stable owner who had been trying to unload a Derby hopeless called War Emblem--a 3-year-old with a small chip in each ankle and a big chip on his shoulder. "He's a mean-spirited horse," notes Baffert

But Baffert saw something in War Emblem that Reineman didn't--a nasty competitor begging to get loose on a big track. So did Prince Ahmed bin Salman, an American-educated, Saudi Arabian stable owner who had charged Baffert with finding him a Derby runner, and the two hoped their hunch would pay off. Did it ever. War Emblem won the Derby in style, going off as a 20-to-1 shot and leading wire to wire. Two weeks later, in the Preakness, the "speed" horses were supposed to drain War Emblem like a cheap battery. He won going away. "Baffert and the Prince were able to see that they could move [War Emblem] up in class," says Tom Hammond, a racing expert for NBC.

Back at the barn, though, Baffert is getting a whiff of some sour oats from other trainers. The notion is that he "bought" the Derby for nearly $1 million, using his Middle Eastern ATM to pry War Emblem loose from a struggling Chicago businessman, since Reineman's company, Crown Steel Sales, was losing money. This, in a sport in which multimillion prices are routinely paid for animals in the hopes of winning big races. "There's been a lot of horses bought at the 11th hour that people don't talk about," says Baffert. Usually because they don't win.

War Emblem is the most unlikely Triple Crown hopeful since Seattle Slew in 1977. Reineman couldn't get the $20,000 he asked for the horse as a yearling, so War Emblem went to work at places like Sportsman's Park in Illinois, a course known as a bullring. It's a short track with tight turns and bumper car tactics that tend to limit long-striding horses like War Emblem.
The horse did well enough so that over the winter Reineman reportedly tried to dump him for $300,000 but again found no takers. Then War Emblem won the Illinois Derby, and with the Kentucky Derby approaching, notes then trainer Bob Springer, "people get crazy." Baffert and bin Salman got crazy enough to buy 90% of War Emblem for $900,000. Reineman probably felt like a million.

Baffert looks at as many as 4,000 horses each year and buys maybe 50. "The horse was just starting to come around," he says, "and [the owner] thought what everybody else thought, that he was a creature of that [short] track." He was a creature all right. Baffert put War Emblem through a crash course in obedience, changing bits and using a tongue tie to keep him under control so that he wouldn't sprint like mad for the entire race.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1002612,00.html

cj
02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't buy about 99% of trainer speak. The horse relaxed just fine in the Illinois Derby with his old trainer. He also did in the prior allowance win. Both times he was trained by his old trainer. He ran pretty much the same in the Derby, then was contested in the Preakness and became a little head strong but still won.

Baffert didn't fix anything. When he was left alone, he was a monster. When he had an early fight, he tried hard but usually was spent late.

46zilzal
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
War Emblem was the PERFECT K. Derby profile with a % median right down the middle of the range required to win 67.5%.

He benefited from a crawling pace in his last Derby prep to run a LATE energy distribution, on the lead, but it suggested that he would have enough late to get the trip in Louisville if unmolested up front.

I turned to my good friend Alvin (reminding me that this was my late wife's selection) and said: "if we get to the 2nd call in 1:11 plus, we are home free."
We were just about the only ones in the OTB whopping it up and collecting a very nice prize.

Cardus
02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
This might sound a tad silly, but I now have a much greater appreciation of Bob Baffert then I did several years ago because I have seen him learn to adapt to something he was not fond of and figure out how adapt, adjust and learn how to thrive in a different environment aka synthetic tracks. If you notice his works are a tad more stamina oriented then they used to be and he is now quite successful on it.

With at least one portion of his stable, Baffert used stamina-building works: 3-year-olds between the Santa Anita Derby and the Kentucky Derby.

The sequence between those two races went something like this for Silver Charm and Real Quiet (and probably Cavonnier): 5F, 6F, 6F, 5F. He pumped a lot of furlongs into his three-year-olds exiting the SA Derby who were primed to run in the Kentucky Derby. (He couldn't employ that routine with Indian Charlie, though, because he was such a light horse.)

Dahoss9698
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
When Tim Ice went to Kent Desourmeux that is when the horse ascended to 3 gr.1 stakes wins and 1 gr.1 placing. Rosier is a journeyman Oaklawn jock that rode like a rookie in the Derby (check the difference in trips with Mine That Bird) whereas Calvin Borel who is really underrated Churchill jockey rode an outstanding race. Reverse the trips and Mine That Bird doesn't win by 6.

The horse was making his 4th lifetime start in the Derby. Of course Desormeaux and Borel are better riders than Rosier. But I thought it was pretty obvious Summer Bird was a short horse in the Derby. Hard to blame the jock for that.

I'm asking what specifically did Rosier do wrong. In a 20 horse field, for a rookie Derby jock, I thought he rode a fine race. He was a little wide, but aside from Mine That Bird, who wasn't? And Borel is an underrated Churchill jock? Underrated by who?

Reverse the trips with any horse and Mine That Bird doesn't win like he did. It doesn't really seem fair to compare one of the all time great Derby rides with an average Derby ride. Ironically, if you watch the race, the worst ride in the race was given by Desormeaux, who moved about 4 furlongs too early.

wantedtobeagrey
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Westy,

I'll give Baffert this much in regard to WE. He thought WE had a chance of winning the derby unlike his former trainer Frank Springer and jockey Larry Sterling who basically said the horse was not even good enough to run in the derby after winning the IL Derby @ Sportsman's. Baffert also gave Springer credit for his efforts as far as laying the foundation w/ WE after the horse won the derby which was nice. Perhaps Baffert was a bit more humble after Monarchos smoked Congree in 2001.

Wantedtobeagrey

Kimsus
02-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious Summer Bird was a short horse in the Derby.

I don't agree on this, he was probably closer to being under seasoned, in addition I think he finally got a rider that was able to recognize he wasn't a one run deep closer and he was better after he was able to gallop horses into the ground using his stamina strength. Mind you Rosier did the same thing in the Ark Derby, if one looks at that race he arguably ran the best race, not Papa Clem.

I'm asking what specifically did Rosier do wrong. In a 20 horse field, for a rookie Derby jock, I thought he rode a fine race. He was a little wide,

If you look at the race, he was not a little wide going into the stretch, he was very wide(8 path) more than that he was probably left with too much to do but still closed willingly. He would have finished better than 6th had the rider tried to save ground as Borel was able to do, or at worst cutting the corner heading into the stretch. Keep in mind this is a horse that went on to win 3 gr.1's later in the year, there was talent here, he was not a horse that is mediocre move up based on trips.

Reverse the trips with any horse and Mine That Bird doesn't win like he did. It doesn't really seem fair to compare one of the all time great Derby rides with an average Derby ride. Ironically, if you watch the race, the worst ride in the race was given by Desormeaux, who moved about 4 furlongs too early

Perhaps it's unfair, however I think anyone would concede it wasn't the best ride, considering it was his 1st derby and that he is not a regular rider at Churchill I can't say I am surprised by the result. Which was decent considering he still managed to finish a closing 6th.

Dahoss9698
02-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't agree on this, he was probably closer to being under seasoned, in addition I think he finally got a rider that was able to recognize he wasn't a one run deep closer and he was better after he was able to gallop horses into the ground using his stamina strength. Mind you Rosier did the same thing in the Ark Derby, if one looks at that race he arguably ran the best race, not Papa Clem.

If you look at the race, he was not a little wide going into the stretch, he was very wide(8 path) more than that he was probably left with too much to do but still closed willingly. He would have finished better than 6th had the rider tried to save ground as Borel was able to do, or at worst cutting the corner heading into the stretch. Keep in mind this is a horse that went on to win 3 gr.1's later in the year, there was talent here, he was not a horse that is mediocre move up based on trips.

Perhaps it's unfair, however I think anyone would concede it wasn't the best ride, considering it was his 1st derby and that he is not a regular rider at Churchill I can't say I am surprised by the result. Which was decent considering he still managed to finish a closing 6th.

Under seasoned or short, we're talking about the same thing. However, didn't Summer Bird run the same way in the Belmont? He made one run. It wasn't until the Haskell he showed more interest early on.

If you watch the head on of the Derby, Rosier did try and save some ground around the turn. Then he came out (7 or 8 wide) coming into the stretch. Aside from following Borel, which no one else did, how else could he have gotten around the horses in front of him?

Again, it was a 20 horse field and I thought all things considered, he rode a pretty good race. It wasn't a great ride, but I don't think he cost the horse a placing.

The ride that sticks out as being awful in the Derby was Desormeaux's on Hold Me Back.

Relwob Owner
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Under seasoned or short, we're talking about the same thing. However, didn't Summer Bird run the same way in the Belmont? He made one run. It wasn't until the Haskell he showed more interest early on.

If you watch the head on of the Derby, Rosier did try and save some ground around the turn. Then he came out (7 or 8 wide) coming into the stretch. Aside from following Borel, which no one else did, how else could he have gotten around the horses in front of him?

Again, it was a 20 horse field and I thought all things considered, he rode a pretty good race. It wasn't a great ride, but I don't think he cost the horse a placing.

The ride that sticks out as being awful in the Derby was Desormeaux's on Hold Me Back.

Every time I watch the Derby, I am absolutely floored by Desormeaux on Hold Me Back...it was really an amazing thing to watch....it was as if he thought the finish line was at the far turn.

Spalding No!
02-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Not to mention the horse came out of the 17-hole and had little chance to establish a ground-saving position at any point. Given the sloppy conditions, it was justifiable to keep the horse (especially since he was relatively inexperienced) in the clear, away from the kickback.

I'm also befuddled by this closing run he uncorked. He was at no point moving with a full head of steam and certainly was making no headway (6 lengths behind) on the 3-pronged battle for second, much less runaway Mine That Bird.

However, he was getting by enough tired horses late to conceivably snag 5th on the wire.

Kimsus
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM

We are going to differ on this on Dahoss, the inside that week was playing great, I think it wasn't the only time that week Borel used the rail to his advantage, if anything he schooled not only Rosier he schooled the Gomez's and other A jocks Derby week. I could have lived with Rosier's ride right until they got to the turn with about 3/8ths of a mile to go when he had a choice to go inside, save a bit of horse and maybe split horses or go up the rail, infact Mine That Bird appeared a split second later to Summer Bird's inside. Once he took Summer Bird outside I think he panicked and chose the safe route, Borel with perhaps more local knowledge gambled and got through. These are minute things in a race, and though on the surface it may not appeared to be an obvious bad ride, as a bettor I take notice to Jockies that ride to win rather than jockies that ride in fear of making a mistake.

jognlope
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I always thought he was a little brash, but kind of mellow, doesn't both me one bit. But the guy on Talking Horses, local OTB station, said "I don't like the guy," but he still deserves an eclipse or one of those awards that he has been locked out of.

Dahoss9698
02-01-2010, 08:29 PM
We are going to differ on this on Dahoss, the inside that week was playing great, I think it wasn't the only time that week Borel used the rail to his advantage, if anything he schooled not only Rosier he schooled the Gomez's and other A jocks Derby week. I could have lived with Rosier's ride right until they got to the turn with about 3/8ths of a mile to go when he had a choice to go inside, save a bit of horse and maybe split horses or go up the rail, infact Mine That Bird appeared a split second later to Summer Bird's inside. Once he took Summer Bird outside I think he panicked and chose the safe route, Borel with perhaps more local knowledge gambled and got through. These are minute things in a race, and though on the surface it may not appeared to be an obvious bad ride, as a bettor I take notice to Jockies that ride to win rather than jockies that ride in fear of making a mistake.

That's what Borel does. He rides the rail at Churchill better than anyone. It's not like this is groundbreaking stuff you're offering up here.

On one hand, you're criticizing a jock making his Derby debut, who really has little to no experience in big races for going wide. The entire field went wide except for Borel and Desormeaux, who moved a half mile too early. I mean, you're criticizing a guy who will probably never ride in that caliber race again, who's biggest fault was going wide on the far turn.

Then, on the other hand, you have a Derby winning jock (Desormeaux) who moves way too early and clearly costs his horse several placings. You refuse to even acknowledge this. Pretty convenient. Nothing Rosier did or didn't do would have had Summer Bird in the money. As a bettor I take note of guys who lack patience when the pressure is on. Rosier rode more poised and patient than Desormeaux did in the Derby. Ironically, Desormeaux rode more poised and patient than Borel in the Belmont.

As a bettor I try and take all of the factors of a ride or trip into account when doing my post race analysis. I find it to be more beneficial than just blaming the jock.

toussaud
02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
bafferts best feat IMHO is getting midnight lute to win a 2nd breeders cup.. on a different surface mind you.. off 1 10th place start at del mar.. that's very da hossesque

also, words can't describe how overrated I thought and think pioneerof the nile was... but baffert had his gun loaded and he ran his freaking eyeballs out last year in kentucky. he got him to peak for 1 race. that was gonna be his one shining moment.

Kimsus
02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
As a bettor I try and take all of the factors of a ride or trip into account when doing my post race analysis. I find it to be more beneficial than just blaming the jock.

This is very fair.

toetoe
02-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Did she ride him when he was 3rd in the BC Mile?

That's awfully personal, and he's not alive to defend himself. :p .

ManeMediaMogul
02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Who's that jockey in your avatar?

Robyn Caroline Smith

joanied
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Robyn Caroline Smith

:D I noticed this is the 2nd time Tzipi asked about your avatar...

Robyn was a looker, alright...I knew her 'back in the day'... she rode and worked horses for Horatio Luro (besides others), I worked in Luro's barn for a time and still can remember the first time she strolled into the barn...heads turned, I'll tell ya that...and hotwalkers, grooms, suddenly became 'gentlemen' when she was around the barn...she had 'it' ;)

It's a shame she never really made it as a jock...IMO, she didn't have the strength, and of course, at that time, women were still making their way in a world of men... and it was very unfortunate that she also had to put up with some nasty backside rumors....and I mean nasty!

I was glad when she married Fred Astare and found happiness...and sometimes wonder what ever became of her?

joanied
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm late...but I love Baffert...I mentioned in the thread we had about what trainers/jockeys would we like to see win the Triple Crown, and I said Baffert...especially when the horse he has is owned by Pegram...those guys made the TC trail so much fun when Real Quiet was running...I was crushed last year when the Pamplemousse went bad mostly because we lost the comedy duo of Baffert-Canani.

I also beleive Baffert is a really nice man, very honest, has a ton of class and integrity...his horses run 'clean'...and is certainly one of the great trainers of our time.

If you guys haven't read his book, 'Dirt Road to the Derby', I recommend it...great read...funny, insightful and down to earth story.