PDA

View Full Version : Why All The Beyer Bashing

Trotman
01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
I just don't get it?. Andy writes about what he feels would be good or bad for the sport and in the beginning with the posts most who replied to the thread agreed, then as the thread continues you start to see the posters turn on Andy.
I for one think most things he writes about brings us closer to the sport and gets us thinking. He's not into reporting about what happens to be the flavor of the month like some writers. Andy Beyer :ThmbUp:

Bobby Seller
01-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Andy Beyer - He's an icon, so people want to take shots.

I wanted to post the nice dateline piece that was up on Youtube.com... not sure if it is lost. If anyone sees it, i'd love to see a link

thanks

toussaud
01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
It's the hair IMHO

castaway01
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
I just don't get it?. Andy writes about what he feels would be good or bad for the sport and in the beginning with the posts most who replied to the thread agreed, then as the thread continues you start to see the posters turn on Andy.
I for one think most things he writes about brings us closer to the sport and gets us thinking. He's not into reporting about what happens to be the flavor of the month like some writers. Andy Beyer :ThmbUp:

There's one person who does most of the bashing because he has an agenda and products he's trying to sell. He's jealous that Beyer is famous and established while he is a loser. So every time Beyer is mentioned, the same poster has to bludgeon everyone over the head with the same BS.

PhantomOnTour
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
I find Andy Beyer's pieces to be pertinent, well written and spot on for the most part; including his Ziadie article.
Have you ever heard the man talk? What a tremendous voice. I am an old radio guy and have always had a thing for a strong voice. However, having seen Andy live at a few tracks (doing seminars and other great PR stuff), I must say that his attire is in need of help. Dresses like a 'track bum'.

C'mon Andy, comb the hair and wear a decent unholy shirt! The rest of your work screams professionalism. Look the part.

Bobby Seller
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
I find Andy Beyer's pieces to be pertinent, well written and spot on for the most part; including his Ziadie article.
Have you ever heard the man talk? What a tremendous voice. I am an old radio guy and have always had a thing for a strong voice. However, having seen Andy live at a few tracks (doing seminars and other great PR stuff), I must say that his attire is in need of help. Dresses like a 'track bum'.

C'mon Andy, comb the hair and wear a decent unholy shirt! The rest of your work screams professionalism. Look the part.
there's definitely the railbird fashion influence along with the anti-fashion of academia.

If you're gonna be a drop-out, be an ivy league dropout

"...Andrew Beyer, the
Washington Post’s superb racing writer. This Harvard
dropout was in the process of revolutionizing the art of
handicapping with theories of track bias and speed
figures. But at the mention of Beyer’s name, a frown
crossed the face of our old Kentucky host. “Beyer,” he
observed with disdain, “is a gambler.”

Relwob Owner
01-31-2010, 04:54 PM
There's one person who does most of the bashing because he has an agenda and products he's trying to sell. He's jealous that Beyer is famous and established while he is a loser. So every time Beyer is mentioned, the same poster has to bludgeon everyone over the head with the same BS.

Well said.....

When I was 10, a guy at Charlestown taught me how to do the Beyer figures and I have been hooked since....just wish everyone didn't have them like they do now! The man is honest, knowledgable, articulate and is the reason why many of us are so into horse racing to begin with.....

CincyHorseplayer
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
From the way some make it sound,you'd think Beyer was walking aimlessly around the track with a big scar on his head from the lobotomy,speaking with slurred speech,and betting nothing but top figs;)

kenwoodallpromos
01-31-2010, 11:55 PM
You could say I used to be a Beyer basher.
IMHO. I differ from him in several respects:
I do not think that his figures are based on enough statistics, not his fault that only the winner gets timed; he does not consider very many variabes; he seems to only concentrate his picks on top contenders, regardless of others' records or possible track anomalies like weather; He seems to be suspicious of every trainer with a good record, to the point of using 30% as a cutoff, and does not acknowledge that some small trainers can get good results other than by cheating; He does not seem to like anything about Ca racing.
In his defense, he has acknowledged that his figures are not perfect in all situations; some "super trainers" have been caught cheatiing IMO significantly (Biacone, Norman, Mullins); He has a Beyer Speed Figure agenda, so it is his perogative to say what he thinks.

PaceAdvantage
02-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Oh God...not another one of these threads...good night!