PDA

View Full Version : Rip Torn - alledged bank robber?

ArlJim78
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
wah wah whaaatt?
this is sad, I've always liked this guy as an actor. But what the hell?

Actor Rip Torn arrested, charged with breaking into local bank with loaded gun (http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2010/01/30/news/doc4b645e4c82bfc332147864.txt)

SALISBURY - Actor Elmore "Rip" Torn was arrested Friday night for allegedly breaking into a Main Street bank intoxicated, armed with a loaded revolver.

Torn allegedly forced entry into a Litchfield Bancorp building, at 326 Main St., setting off an alarm, state police from the Troop B barracks in North Canaan said today. When police responded to the alarm around 9:40 p.m. they found Torn "with a loaded revolver and was highly intoxicated," according to a police news release.

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM
He is one of the few brilliant actors that can win awards for his portrayals of himself off-screen. A great character that happens to be an actor, not a great character actor as some suggest.

Not to condone Torn's antics or anything - he is just almost too bizarre to believe.

Robert Goren
01-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Very strange indeed. Even at age 78 he is very much a working actor.

bigmack
01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
What a shame. Decent enough actor but clearly riddled with a dire need for help. With this, he'll do time.

Sloppy drunks have always been trouble.

46zilzal
01-31-2010, 02:46 AM
I always thought that the guy who thought up that name learned a thing or two from the old NFL player Fair Hooker.

Geraldine Page is/was a great actress. Just saw Sweet Bird of Youth again the other night

proximity
01-31-2010, 03:10 AM
wasn't that guy in some of those early ntra ads??

go baby go!!:D

superfecta
01-31-2010, 03:13 AM
somewhere Tiger Woods is saying "FINALLY!"

PhantomOnTour
01-31-2010, 03:22 AM
somewhere Tiger Woods is saying "FINALLY!"
Its gonna take more than Rip gettin ripped and rollin into a bank with gun to knock Tiger out of the top spot. Tiger needs a Paris Hilton/P Diddy/Peyton Manning caliber scandal to dethrone him. Maybe another baseball icon of the last 15yrs will get retro-nabbed for steroids. That may do it.

As for Rip, I'm thinkin like bigmack posted earlier, he's going to jail. Dont care how old or famous or drunk your are, that stunt aint tolerated mister.

ArlJim78
01-31-2010, 09:06 AM
I always thought that the guy who thought up that name learned a thing or two from the old NFL player Fair Hooker.

Geraldine Page is/was a great actress. Just saw Sweet Bird of Youth again the other night
I agree, she only has a few scenes in The Pope of Greenwich Village but her character jumps off the screen. She even does some handicapping. She has a great line in that one where she is talking to some police officers after her son dies. something like "My son was as tough as a rod of iron, and he didn't get that from his father. So you can get the hell out of my house!"

Steve 'StatMan'
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Shhh. Dillinger. Bonnie & Clyde. Ma Barker! Whispering about Bank Jobs that they'd won...Can you hear it?...You hear it?

Dang, I always enjoyed him and his work. And those commercials. I even brought some plastic Easter Grass to the track one day and cracked my friends up one day at Hawthorne by coming up to them and doing that routine with the clump of turf and the Man Of War, Seabiscuit routine, asking them to listen to that plastic grass!

(Yes, they had it Man Of War, not Man O' War, in the commercials, an error.)

bigmack
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
President of the bank he broke into calls for an intervention for Torn. Turns out he thought he was in his own house after breaking the window. When cops arrived they found him asleep on the floor.

This from a previous incident:

965xgorJ0Fc

NJ Stinks
01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Glad to see the update, Bigmack. Thanks.

chickenhead
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
78 is awfully late to shoot for any big life changes.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
President of the bank he broke into calls for an intervention for Torn. Turns out he thought he was in his own house after breaking the window. When cops arrived they found him asleep on the floor.

Glad they want to work with him. Still pretty disturbing that this guy is walking around with a loaded handgun while that extremely drunk that he mistakes a bank for his own house. (unless Rip has one hell of a house, or both have crummy looking houses and banks.)

Grits
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Guys, has he been diagnosed with dementia?

78, drunk, holding a handgun, and he don't know where he's at?

He really could be "just comfortably demented", ya know.

It would sure clear some things up on the incident report.

JustRalph
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Guys, has he been diagnosed with dementia?

78, drunk, holding a handgun, and he don't know where he's at?

He really could be "just comfortably demented", ya know.

It would sure clear some things up on the incident report.

Took the words right out of my mouth............i suspect not just mind altering substances........but an altered mind

plainolebill
01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Drink long enough and hard enough and you get a permanently altered mind. Just could be.

Warren Henry
01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth............i suspect not just mind altering substances........but an altered mind

Unfortunately, lots of older folks with this problem. My Mom, healthy as a horse, but no clue where the barn is.

PhantomOnTour
02-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Maybe 46zilzal will politely give us the medical term for this 'drunken dementia'.

bigmack
02-01-2010, 02:15 AM
As one who has had an intimate look at a multitude of Alz/dementia patients, I don't know how this was flopped on the table (Grits)

Ordinarily those going into the Alz world don't spend much time drinking.

Paranoia and accusations appear with vigor at the early stages.

Grits
02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
As one who has had an intimate look at a multitude of Alz/dementia patients, I don't know how this was flopped on the table (Grits)

Ordinarily those going into the Alz world don't spend much time drinking.

Paranoia and accusations appear with vigor at the early stages.

As well as myself Bigmack, as well as myself. There's ordinary, and there's exception.

My father in law succumbed to Altzheimers and one of his greater problems was alcohol. His was early onset, he was 55. True, as the disease progressed, his drinking lessened due in large part to the fact he could no longer find where he put his bottles, or remember where the liquor store was. He lived with this disease longer than anyone I have ever known, 15 years, but yes, in the early/mild stage and into the moderate stage, he was quite capable of still consuming alcohol, though, he may well have repeated the same sentence to you, or the same question, three times in ten minutes or less.

My aunt who died of the disease, didn't have such a fondness for drink, nor was she as argumentative, or as combative.

Altzheimer's can (and does) present itself differently at particular stages in patients. And its not something I'd want to argue, as I promise you, I wasn't trying to be cute by "flopping it on the table". And I'm not at this point, either, because my father has the disease now. On Aricept, he still functions ok, still driving at 81, but its only a matter of time before his driving days are over. And I hope that comes before he's unable to find his way home.:(

Altzheimers and the problems of dementia are growing in our country at a rate that one would consider rampant. Hopefully, research dollars grow as well.

We may all be there, one day.

skate
02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
come on now, is there a better place to go with a gun?

Robert Goren
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
come on now, is there a better place to go with a gun?The Wizzards game was sold out.