PDA

View Full Version : Turfway Owes An Apology

cosmo96
01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
On Saturday January 30 Turfway Park played Jimi Hendrix's version of the National Anthem. Jimi Hendrix may be a hall of fame rock star, but his version of the Anthem is a disgrace and an insult to our great nation. I do not consider myself a super patriot, but this so called National Anthem was beyond disrespect. It lasted over five minutes and sounded like a screeching owl. If you have ever been in the Everglades at night is more what it sounded like. Imagine owls, insects, bull gators bellowing and wildcats all going at once. The noise that Hendrix made did not come close to our Anthem. The Anthem like the flag is a symbol of the United States. On Saturday January 30 Turfway Park violated the dignity and respect of our country. It was a terrible insult to all those who have served and fought for her. Turfway Park owes the United States of America an apology.

illinoisbred
01-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Wholeheartily agree with you.

Stillriledup
01-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Anthem's shouldn't be played at racetracks, there's no need for it.

Grits
01-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Cosmo, I understand what you're saying, but EVEN in his worst hour, and those were few by the way, Hendrix couldn't have been worse than Roseanne Barr. No one ever masquered the Anthem as did she. EVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhndWwWt8I

turfnsport
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Something coming out of the Turfway speakers worse than Battaglia?

Never would have thunk it.

cosmo96
01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
This is not really something to joke about, but Battagula sounds like Sinatra compared to Hendrix's version of the Nation Anthem.

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Something coming out of the Turfway speakers worse than Battaglia?

Never would have thunk it.

Now that was indeed a timely, fresh Battaglia joke! :D

OTM Al
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Jimi actually served in the Army, airbourne if I remember right. He did an interpretation of the anthem, one far less worse than most I have heard at sporting events. It was a poem that was later turned into a song by the suggestion of Key's brother in law, who realised it fit with the melody of an English drinking song (though many other songs had adapted the melody as well) which begins

To ANACREON in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition,
That He their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
When this Answer arriv'd from the JOLLY OLD GRECIAN
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
"No longer be mute,
"I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides, I'll instruct you like me, to intwine
"The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS's Vine.

Just a bit randy that. It did not become the national anthem until 1931, probably because of the support Sousa gave for it as there were other contenders for the title, when one day someone realised we didn't have one. The tradition of playing it at sporting event comes from baseball, where it has regularly been done since the 40's.

To be honest, I never cared for it much. The melody is difficult, which is why it is more often done badly than well. The content is about a war that shouldn't have happened. Prefer songs like "America the Beautiful" or "This Land is Your Land". Think they say a lot more bout the country and what's worth protecting.

Grits
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
From the standpoint of live feed--if one were complimenting music--it'd go to NYRA hands down. I don't know who is choosing the music leading into the prerace discussion, but they're doing one fine job! And have been, since the first day the new format was created.

Where else can you rock before watching the next race, or prior to following the commentary? One can liken it to driving down the highway hearing favorites on your radio or cd player.

With Gulfstream, you get ads for Frank's Adena Springs stallion roster. No surprise there.

illinoisbred
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
From the standpoint of live feed--if one were complimenting music--it'd go to NYRA hands down. I don't know who is choosing the music leading into the prerace discussion, but they're doing one fine job! And have been, since the first day the new format was created.

Where else can you rock before watching the next race, or prior to following the commentary? One can liken it to driving down the highway hearing favorites on your radio or cd player.

With Gulfstream, you get ads for Frank's Adena Springs stallion roster. No surprise there.
I thought I heard some Robin Trower at Aqueduct last week.God, I can't believe I even remember them.

QuarterCrack
01-31-2010, 01:38 AM
On Saturday January 30 Turfway Park played Jimi Hendrix's version of the National Anthem. Jimi Hendrix may be a hall of fame rock star, but his version of the Anthem is a disgrace and an insult to our great nation. I do not consider myself a super patriot, but this so called National Anthem was beyond disrespect. It lasted over five minutes and sounded like a screeching owl. If you have ever been in the Everglades at night is more what it sounded like. Imagine owls, insects, bull gators bellowing and wildcats all going at once. The noise that Hendrix made did not come close to our Anthem. The Anthem like the flag is a symbol of the United States. On Saturday January 30 Turfway Park violated the dignity and respect of our country. It was a terrible insult to all those who have served and fought for her. Turfway Park owes the United States of America an apology.

Are you really THIS sensitive and insecure?

It's one thing to not like the Hendrix version of the National Anthem, which is a totally legitimate stance to take. To each his own, etc. etc. But to say it violates the diginity and respect of our country is going WAY overboard and to imply that Turfway owes the USA an apology is just downright asinine.

If you don't like it, that's completely fine. But realize that it's not the end of the world. Some people like the Hendrix rendition. It's really not that bad.

WinterTriangle
01-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Unorthodox is beautiful to some.

people who say they love freedom but insist on putting their own tastes on everyone else are not freedom-loving, IMHO. I'm sure there are countries where one can be dictated to, as to what they can hear, read, and see.

Jimi's rendition was *his* self-expression of a war and horror soundtrack (TET offensive, riots in the US, bombs dropping, explosions blasting, and machine guns firing ) of the time, on his Stratocaster. The Star-Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key after he witnessed a battle in the War of 1812.....that was "his" expression. He did mention bombs, but obviously didn't put it in his music.

Jose Feliciano (Light my Fire) did a rendition of the anthem that was smoky, jazzy, latin beat. Some people were outraged by that, too...but it was really quite pleasant, if you like his dreamy voice and instrumentals.

I'm sure there are people who enjoyed hearing it.....it's not a personal favorite of mine, but I don't interpret tastes for everyone else.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Turfway might have some things to apologize for (that AWS for one), but playing Jimi's version of the National Anthem sure isn't one of them, in my opinion.

pdxmike
01-31-2010, 05:52 AM
This should be nominated for dumbest thread of the year.

Zman179
01-31-2010, 07:41 AM

Oh, pleeeeeeeeease. :lol: :lol:

Tread
01-31-2010, 10:02 AM

Would definitely get my vote. Sorry if the guitar feedback made your hearing aide go haywire. And I love that he tried to describe it to everyone as though most people are not familiar with it.

Turfway is attempting to reach out to a younger crowd here, horse racing is in danger of dying off once your generation passes, and if you care anything about it living on (maybe you don't) then you never would have posted anything like this.

Since you seem to live in Xenia, I might suggest Beulah Park for you instead. Would be a bit closer and would definitely be much more your speed. The place has not been renovated, or even cleaned as far as I can tell, since the 40s. I think you would feel right at home there.

FenceBored
01-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Would definitely get my vote. Sorry if the guitar feedback made your hearing aide go haywire. And I love that he tried to describe it to everyone as though most people are not familiar with it.

Turfway is attempting to reach out to a younger crowd here, horse racing is in danger of dying off once your generation passes, and if you care anything about it living on (maybe you don't) then you never would have posted anything like this.

Since you seem to live in Xenia, I might suggest Beulah Park for you instead. Would be a bit closer and would definitely be much more your speed. The place has not been renovated, or even cleaned as far as I can tell, since the 40s. I think you would feel right at home there.

"Turfway is attempting to reach out to a younger crowd" with a 40 year old piece of psychedelia? :confused:

Tread
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Younger than the OP, yes.

And I can guarantee you the vast majority of 20 and 30 somethings still think that is a very cool thing.

FenceBored
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Younger than the OP, yes.

And nobody younger than 70 could possibly find Hendrix's SSB over the top? The crowd at Woodstock is in, or fast approaching, their own 60s now.

Tread
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info, was not aware.

Did anyone say that NO ONE under 70 might also feel this way? No, that was never said. But I think if you conduct a poll and got a majority of respondants "woodstock age" and younger that the vast majority would find this rant ridiculous.

And if you want to ask 20 and 30 somethings if they think Hendrix is a classic piece of work that they appreciate, the majority will vote that they do as well. You don't have to have been at Woodstock to appreciate Hendrix. But that really isn't the point, the point is that his interpretation doesn't have the slightest shred of disrespect in it, and Turfway was not showing any in playing it.

castaway01
01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
It must be nice to have nothing else to complain about in the world than what version of the f'n National Anthem Turfway chose to play.

FenceBored
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info, was not aware.

Did anyone say that NO ONE under 70 might also feel this way? No, that was never said. But I think if you conduct a poll and got a majority of respondants "woodstock age" and younger that the vast majority would find this rant ridiculous.

And if you want to ask 20 and 30 somethings if they think Hendrix is a classic piece of work that they appreciate, the majority will vote that they do as well. You don't have to have been at Woodstock to appreciate Hendrix. But that really isn't the point, the point is that his interpretation doesn't have the slightest shred of disrespect in it, and Turfway was not showing any in playing it.

Sorry grandpa, but I don't believe that Millenials listen to Jimi all that much. Far from being an appeal to younger crowds, I see this as an appeal to older crowds. Boomer-centrism and all that.

Dahoss9698
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry grandpa, but I don't believe that Millenials listen to Jimi all that much.

You could not be more wrong about this.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
If I was a twenty-year old and glanced at what was on the top 40 charts, I'd be thinking very seriously about getting a Jimi record.

jballscalls
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
playing a 'cooler' version of the national anthem is not going to attract a single dollar more of handle for that night or for the future. It could however, cause some folks not to play the track out of irritance. therefore it's a losing move.

jballscalls
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
If I was a twenty-year old and glanced at what was on the top 40 charts, I'd be thinking very seriously about getting a Jimi record.

JHS,

you know your a huge Lady GAGa fan! :)

illinoisbred
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
The most disturbing thing about this is the mental image of Mike B. playing the excruciating air guitar to this.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2010, 11:10 AM
JHS,

you know your a huge Lady GAGa fan! :)

I must admit, other than having heard references to this person on a variety of non-music shows -- I couldn't pick Lady GaGa out of a one person lineup -- I still listen to the oldies station in the car and sing along to Tommy James and Manfred Mann :)

FenceBored
01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
The most disturbing thing about this is the mental image of Mike B. playing the excruciating air guitar to this.

:lol: :lol: Now I'm crying.

dylbert
01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Damn this thread has some legs... and I might as well pile on! Whether it is non-traditional like Hendrix rendition or truly awful/grotesque like Barr attempt, it is still our National Anthem.

My late father and late father-in-law were both career military officers. Neither liked or appreciated Hendrix's anthem and they didn't like flag burners either. However, they both told me that one of the reasons they served in the military is so that everyone can enjoy freedom, including freedom of expression i.e. Hendrix's music (not just anthem) and freedom to protest even if included burning US flag.

You may not like something such as these examples, but one of the ways to secure and keep freedom is to never oppress something just because we don't like the action. It is silly to think that Turfway Park owes anyone an apology.

Honor our military and our veterans! Their service lets us express ourselves freely everyday.

Final thought -- if it weren't for Terry Wallace at Oaklawn Park, Mike Battaglia would be worst track announcer currently keying a microphone!

the little guy
01-31-2010, 12:31 PM
While I would prefer Dolly Dagger, I am always happy to hear Hendrix's version of the Anthem.

Robert Goren
01-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I must admit, other than having heard references to this person on a variety of non-music shows -- I couldn't pick Lady GaGa out of a one person lineup -- I still listen to the oldies station in the car and sing along to Tommy James and Manfred Mann :)

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30p0PJrHrgE]

therussmeister
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Taking this thread in a slightly different direction: anybody else think the video Calder shows during their National Anthem is a little bizarre. An enticing combination of horse racing and war. The two things that made America great. ;)

Tread
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Sorry grandpa, but I don't believe that Millenials listen to Jimi all that much. Far from being an appeal to younger crowds, I see this as an appeal to older crowds. Boomer-centrism and all that.

As DaHoss said, you simply could not be more wrong about that. I am 36 (grandpa LOL) and while Hendirx may not be top 40 anymore in terms of popularity, I can tell you that going all the way back to college Hendrix posters and TShirts were quite common and any friend I have who is the least bit into music and has musical depth any thicker than the sheet-of-paper thin American Idol crap that is out there also has a Hendrix album somewhere on their ipod and will listen to it occasionally.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it, I really could care less if you do or not. But my generation absolutely understands and appreciates Hendrix in general and any assertion of national disrespect by the playing of this shows an incredible amount of delusion.

Beulah Park, seriously... check it out. You guys will love it.

FenceBored
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
As DaHoss said, you simply could not be more wrong about that. I am 36 (grandpa LOL) and while Hendirx may not be top 40 anymore in terms of popularity, I can tell you that going all the way back to college Hendrix posters and TShirts were quite common and any friend I have who is the least bit into music and has musical depth any thicker than the sheet-of-paper thin American Idol crap that is out there also has a Hendrix album somewhere on their ipod and will listen to it occasionally.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it, I really could care less if you do or not. But my generation absolutely understands and appreciates Hendrix in general and any assertion of national disrespect by the playing of this shows an incredible amount of delusion.

Beulah Park, seriously... check it out. You guys will love it.

And every year when the NFL announces their Super Bowl half-time performer and it comes up the Stones, or Paul McCartney, or this year's band the Who, you hear large amounts of whining from the under-34 demographic about how it's an appeal to codgers which has no regard for current musical tastes. When CD announced the headliners for their musical festival this July the comments on the Courier-Journal's website were more than 50% along the lines of "who booked these geezers" and that was for the Dave Matthews Band and Kenny Chesney. I see on the CD website (http://www.churchilldowns.com/news/archives/dierks-bentley-blood-sweat-tears-ben-folds-train-the-avett-brothers-added-hullabalou) today that they've recently added Blood, Sweat & Tears to the lineup. That'll pack in those 20-somethings. :ThmbUp:

Spalding No!
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
And every year when the NFL announces their Super Bowl half-time performer and it comes up the Stones, or Paul McCartney, or this year's band the Who, you hear large amounts of whining from the under-34 demographic about how it's an appeal to codgers which has no regard for current musical tastes. When CD announced the headliners for their musical festival this July the comments on the Courier-Journal's website were more than 50% along the lines of "who booked these geezers" and that was for the Dave Matthews Band and Kenny Chesney. I see on the CD website (http://www.churchilldowns.com/news/archives/dierks-bentley-blood-sweat-tears-ben-folds-train-the-avett-brothers-added-hullabalou) today that they've recently added Blood, Sweat & Tears to the lineup. That'll pack in those 20-somethings. :ThmbUp:

How does this relate to Jimi Hendrix?

He never made it to old age, which is a major reason for his undeniable appeal to ALL past, present and future youth. Why are Jim Morrison, James Dean, Kurt Cobain, etc etc still able to sustain relevancy years after their deaths?

Steve 'StatMan'
01-31-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not keen on the Jimi Hendrix version of the Star Spangled Banner, but the thing that would really piss me off would be having people expecting me to stand up for that terribly elongated emprovising solo, instead of just quickly respecting our nation and then getting on with the event (races, baseball, football, whatever.)

One thing that drives usually drives me nuts, glad I'm no longer on time to hear it anymore, is the AP's National Anthem. They use the same one, recorded over a decade ago, sung by one of Mr. D.'s childhood friends, with an old style and strong sopranno voice, acapella. I know they are well meaning, and I don't want to hurt either of their feelings, but that feelings a lot of people get from that version are older than the two of them combined. Been her voice, or her lip-synched recording, since he bought the place in 1985, or maybe reopened the 'new' building in 1989. I know I'm not the only live attendee who would rather hear a different format/style national anthem sung/played every now and then, just to break up the monontony. And definitely not the Jimi Hendrix version. Fairly short, sweet, respect the country, but then get back to why we came there in the first place. Opera is nice and has it's place, but every racing day for at least 20 years - ugh!

illinoisbred
01-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Agree. Its time to shelf the diva.

JustRalph
01-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Jimmy's Version is damn sure interesting.......... I wouldn't bitch too much about it.

Try watching the Keeneland Employees refuse to stand for the national anthem while it is playing.......they just sit amongst the crowd and keep eating.........while the rest of the room sings along.......... hands and hats over hearts.............

FenceBored
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
How does this relate to Jimi Hendrix?

He never made it to old age, which is a major reason for his undeniable appeal to ALL past, present and future youth. Why are Jim Morrison, James Dean, Kurt Cobain, etc etc still able to sustain relevancy years after their deaths?

Who do you think would be better represented if Turfway ran a Jim Morrison promo day, complete with Morrison bobbleheads, use Doors music between races. You could even card the "Break on Through" 15k Maiden Claimer. Who would show up; more under-30s or over-50s?

GameTheory
01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
I love the Hendrix version, or pretty much anything by Hendrix for that matter. Not a great man, but a great artist (as is often the case with great artists).

I turned 40 today, so I'm neither a young dude nor an aging boomer.

chickenhead
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
c'mon now, no one ever has to apologize for playing the Hendrix Star Spangled Banner. Even Francis Scott Key likes it.

DeanT
01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I was really steamed about this.... but then I remembered I'm Canadian.

Hey GT, Happy Birthday!

Tom
01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
VDlrYXicg74

duncan04
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM

Agreed!! :bang:

cosmo96
01-31-2010, 05:58 PM
I am fortunate to live near Beulah, River Downs, Turfway, Lebanon, and Scioto. I am not too far from Hoosier,Mountaineer, Indiana, Churchill, and Keenland. I make the circuit. I do all North American tracks. By the way I have made a lot of money at Beulah and playing Beulah. I never met a racetrack I didn't like.

Cubbymac26
02-01-2010, 02:00 AM
playing a 'cooler' version of the national anthem is not going to attract a single dollar more of handle for that night or for the future. It could however, cause some folks not to play the track out of irritance. therefore it's a losing move.

jballs i agree 1000 percent theres no chance that the jimmy hendrix ssb can only hurt turfway...its not like people in there 20s are going to go cuz of that...but some vets of other countrymen could get hot and not go..doubt that would ever happen but theres no plus side to it

just for the record i think mike b catches way to much heat on this forum

NJ Stinks
02-01-2010, 02:45 AM
just for the record i think mike b catches way to much heat on this forum

Me too.

Stillriledup
02-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Did Turfway apologize yet?