PDA

View Full Version : Do we want these people around?

superfecta
08-14-2001, 08:57 PM
I have been around other boards, which pretty much suck( DRF comes to mind ,About.com, and the ALT.horseracing)and was wondering,Would it be proper to refer people to this site?
What I am afraid of is SPAM,and the trolls who flame for no particular reason.But I do see alot of good posts amid the crap.
Opinions Please?

mhrussell
08-15-2001, 12:52 AM
Superfecta:

I would try to be selective in referring people to this board from some of the other boards. I wouldn't post a blanket "come on down!" on say the Yahoo board. But if you know specific individuals who post there, and who probably are looking for a better place to be, then send them some notice (email, instant message, etc.).

Same goes for other BBs as well. Just my opinion. I think we have a great bunch of handicappers here who are serious and respectful and want to benefit from an exchange of ideas.
I would hate to see some of the bozos posts I've seen elsewhere start showing up here.

Slider
08-15-2001, 03:49 AM
I remember the days when ITM, Peopleplayer, Scoopcone, etc. were posting here. That was a ways back. They made many interesting and knowledgeable posts about handicapping. Then the problems started and the handicapping posts began to disappear and the infighting began. There are only so many ways to talk handicapping and these people were posting many times each day. Soon the board became fire and flames. Handicapping posts from starters as well as seasoned players became a thing that was flamed. Some of the flames were entertaining but on a whole they degraded the board. The board became boring and sifting through the ashes looking for handicapping information became too time consuming. New people were afraid to ask questions because of the flaming and lack of decent answers.
PA stepped in and did what he had to do. It cost the board some knowledgeable people and posts dropped way off. However, what was lost in quantity was made up for with quality.
As for inviting new people in I say do it. That is the purpose of boards like this. We discuss ideas, theory, and products that may improve our own handicapping. We try to keep an open mind and learn from each other. Novice handicappers are encouraged to ask questions and we try to answer and help them and perhaps in the process we receive help ourselves.
As for potential problems from trolls, PA keeps the board fair and has the power to keep the ship afloat.

NoDayJob
08-15-2001, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by mhrussell
Superfecta:

I would try to be selective in referring people to this board from some of the other boards. I wouldn't post a blanket "come on down!" on say the Yahoo board. But if you know specific individuals who post there, and who probably are looking for a better place to be, then send them some notice (email, instant message, etc.).

Same goes for other BBs as well. Just my opinion. I think we have a great bunch of handicappers here who are serious and respectful and want to benefit from an exchange of ideas.
I would hate to see some of the bozos posts I've seen elsewhere start showing up here.

Not to worry! PA will make short work of them. His finger is always poised on the almighty DELETE BUTTON. Heh Heh -NDJ

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2001, 12:51 PM
Slider,

I miss (the posts) of many of those people you mentioned.

My opinion would be that everyone is welcome until they prove their inability to fit into our BBS society.

Okay, so there might be one exception; people that have time and again proved they cannot get along in our society. I leave that totally up to PA.

One of the so-called undesirables is a card-carrying member of my BBS (under a psuedonym for his psuedonym) and has gotten along just fine. (Didn't think I knew, huh?) <G>

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2001, 01:04 PM
NDJ,

Whatever.....

==PA

Larry Hamilton
08-15-2001, 01:07 PM
I am reminded of a song from the '60's about a snake. A woman cares for a half frozen snake, brings it back to life, feeds it, nurtures it, and is stunned when it bites and poisons her...

Rick Ransom
08-15-2001, 01:15 PM
Dave,

Be careful. I noticed our old nemesis is still stirring up trouble over at the Yahoo board.

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2001, 02:00 PM
Rick,

I haven't had a look at Yahoo in over 3 or 4 months. I really don't care.

Dave

Rick Ransom
08-15-2001, 02:13 PM
Dave,

I don't visit there much either and don't post at all. Just thought you'd like to know what's going on in "the jungle". Enough said.