PDA

View Full Version : OH yeh, 5.7% GDP figure

skate
01-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Keynes come thru yet one more time, no Depression, Recession is over for now.

Gees it seems as if they sure took the long way around, which does not hold up to the real Keys theory.

Oh sure enough, it will be revised, but it did work.;)

Next time, put the money in the hands of the people, thanks.

JustRalph
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah right............ artificially propped up numbers based on trillions of dollars pumped into mostly government jobs..........

funny how the unemployment rates are sky high still with all this growth huh?

Jobless recovery is what they have accomplished......smoke and mirrors.......just like Carter ............

acorn54
01-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Keynes come thru yet one more time, no Depression, Recession is over for now.

Gees it seems as if they sure took the long way around, which does not hold up to the real Keys theory.

Oh sure enough, it will be revised, but it did work.;)

Next time, put the money in the hands of the people, thanks.

i think the growth in gdp is mostly getting more productivity from the present workforce.
unemployment will probably stay very high for the forseeable future.
i think unemployment benefits so far have been extended to the extent that some people have been collecting for two years. thats a heck of a long time time to be out of work if you ask me.

ArlJim78
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I call on the president to cancel the remainder of the stimulus. this economy is clearly over-heating. the fed better think about raising interest rates a couple of points also to slow things down.

skate
01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh yah, i refrain from giving credit, except to Maynard.

I think they used his theory, but they went about his theory, wrong.

Also, inflation could take hold, but the fact that they used the new money wrong (put into the hands of business instead of the people), will hold back on inflation,,because the people do not have the money to inflate the economy.

Oh yes sir, lots wrong here, but, no Depression and that's what Keynes was all about, he just would use a more direct method.

skate
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
And , yes, slowly raise rates.

acorn54
01-29-2010, 04:26 PM
it begs the question "what would a depression look like in 2008?" things have changed in this country since the 1930's.

skate
01-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Ok. I'm not sure, but mostly i'm thinking on Globalism terms.

Sure, we look to our own economy, but global is the answer to todays economy.

And as for artificially... yes sure, but that accounts for Everything, gold, dollar, really does not mater, it's all just a belief.

Valuist
01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
This bump was largely due to inventory restacking. We've seen the huge cost cuts but that doesn't last. This recovery looks very tenous....chance of a double dip is still strong. Tax rates on everything will be going up. The market had a great rally until about 2-3 weeks ago but the trend is down now and the market knows it. Reported unemployment is over 10%; REAL unemployment (U-6) is over 17%. Businesses still aren't lending and consumers are stil deleveraging. And all the stimulus was was a bandaid solution that will ultimately lead to inflation.

skate
01-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok sure enough, i agree.

But but but, what to do? I see the Stimulus as "the only way".Inflation is also a necessary part of Capitalism, not negative, when under control.

Inflation will decrease the value of the ,corporate, household and gov. debt.

Gov stimulus has kept world economies from Depression. The recession part has more to do with the people spending.

They can be overdone, but such is not the case for now. We kool.:cool:

Valuist
01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I believe the strongest recoveries come from the least intervention. It may be rough at first, but the recovery is more sustainable. The more its propped up thru intervention and stimulus, the rougher the going. No smooth recoveries this time around.

ArlJim78
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
for the US economy the stimulus is counter productive. we'd have been much better off without it. it only stimulates stupid investments and more debt.

skate
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
This bump was largely due to inventory restacking. We've seen the huge cost cuts but that doesn't last. This recovery looks very tenous....chance of a double dip is still strong. Tax rates on everything will be going up. The market had a great rally until about 2-3 weeks ago but the trend is down now and the market knows it. Reported unemployment is over 10%; REAL unemployment (U-6) is over 17%. Businesses still aren't lending and consumers are stil deleveraging. And all the stimulus was was a bandaid solution that will ultimately lead to inflation.

Ok, what caused the "inventory restacking"?

Cost cuts will never last. We could do a double, but.. I doubt that the tax rates on everything, will go up. Rather, the increase in Corporate markets, will increase, and cause Taxes to rise (not the tax Rate), as long as the tax rates stay or go lower.