PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Justin. Same disease took my dad.

sandpit
01-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Very sad news today as jockey Justin Vitek passed away at age 36 from cancer. Justin was a very nice guy with a great respect for his job and family.

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/January/28/Jockey-Vitek-succumbs-to-cancer.aspx

BombsAway Bob
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Vitek, 36-year-old jockey, dies of leukemia (http://www.drf.com/news/article/110407.html)
By Marty McGee - Posted 10:57 AM www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com)
Justin Vitek, the well-traveled jockey who was diagnosed nearly two years ago with acute myelogenous leukemia, died early Thursday morning at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He was 36

cj
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
That is very sad, especially at such a young age.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Sad to hear.

I doubt there is anyone on this board whose life hasnt been affected in one way or another by the big C.

I've lost 3 relatives.

46zilzal
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
That is very sad, especially at such a young age.
That is the profile of leukemia......Sad but true. These are all myeloproliferative diseases: marrow is out of control producing a singular cell type that takes over.

Charlie Whittingham, had the type more often found in adults, chronic myelogenous which has a much longer clinical course,

MD Anderson is one of the best centers in the world.

joanied
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
This is very sad...my heart goes out to this young nam's family and friends.

Justin...May God bless your soul.
R.I.P

Wickel
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Very talented and much too young to leave us. My thoughts are with his loved ones. RIP Justin.

JWBurnie
01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I lost my mother to AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) on January 3rd, 2009; she was 53. She battled for 8 months, through 5 rounds of chemo. She had a marrow match, a willing donor, and scheduled to have her transplant in mid January. Decmeber 22nd everything looked great, numbers were in line, no infections. X-mas eve she spiked a fever, her counts went through the roof, and was admitted to Johns Hopkins for the last time. Love you Mama.

JustRalph
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
That is the profile of leukemia......Sad but true. These are all myeloproliferative diseases: marrow is out of control producing a singular cell type that takes over.

Charlie Whittingham, had the type more often found in adults, chronic myelogenous which has a much longer clinical course,

MD Anderson is one of the best centers in the world.

Wow,,,,,,,,you added so much to the thread............I feel even worse now.... :bang:

Damn shame.............

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2010, 04:24 AM
What terribly sad news...

castaway01
01-29-2010, 09:40 AM
That's terrible...rest in peace Justin.

jballscalls
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Justin was such a nice, sweet person. Everytime I talked to him in the jock's room or just in passing, always a big smile on his face. A few of my friends went and saw him in his final weeks and said he was struggling bad, but was very brave and still had that great smile.

the world lost a good one yesterday

barn11
01-30-2010, 06:32 PM
I lost my mother to AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) on January 3rd, 2009; she was 53. She battled for 8 months, through 5 rounds of chemo. She had a marrow match, a willing donor, and scheduled to have her transplant in mid January. Decmeber 22nd everything looked great, numbers were in line, no infections. X-mas eve she spiked a fever, her counts went through the roof, and was admitted to Johns Hopkins for the last time. Love you Mama.

she knows