PDA

View Full Version : It's a Bird retired after dirt injury.

FenceBored
01-28-2010, 08:05 AM
It's a Bird has retired due to an injury sustained in a workout at Calder on the DIRT track.
For the second time in less than a week, a graded stakes winner broke down while working at a south Florida racetrack. Last Friday, The Mailet, winner of the Grade 3 Miesque at Hollywood Park in her 2-year-old finale, had to be euthanized after breaking down a quarter-mile into a work at Gulfstream Park. On Monday, the multiple graded stakes winner It's a Bird fractured a sesamoid shortly after beginning a workout at Calder.
-- http://www.drf.com/news/article/110405.html

cj
01-28-2010, 12:17 PM
What is a dirt injury?

tzipi
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
How dumb. Now we are listing every injury as dirt or whatever surface? OK where's you posts on all the morning workout injuries on SYNTHETICS or breakdowns at Del Mar this past year on synthetics?
OMG a DIRT injury? I've never heard of that :rolleyes:

tucker6
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
What is a dirt injury?
You know. It's when the wife nags you to death to put a fence up, and during the digging of the holes, your back gets sore. That's a dirt injury.

Now a dirt death is when the wife comes home from shopping and finds that you neglected to dig the holes, so she digs one herself and throws you in with a shovel to the head. That's a death by dirt.

You really don't get out much do ya?? :cool:

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
How dumb. Now we are listing every injury as dirt or whatever surface? OK where's you posts on all the morning workout injuries on SYNTHETICS or breakdowns at Del Mar this past year on synthetics?

I love the hypocrisy of the anti-synth-ezers. Amazing...neary a word yesterday when someone posted Kinsella hurt on pro-ride.

Let me have the big :lol: this time.

tzipi
01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
I love the hypocrisy of the anti-synth-ezers. Amazing...neary a word yesterday when someone posted Kinsella hurt on pro-ride.

You're not very smart are you. I just said it is dumb to thread post injuries by surface. I just pointing out where's the posts by the POSTER about synth injuries. Why do just one surface when both have them? Go find a started POST BY ME that lists a surface injury. Genius

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 01:05 PM
You're not very smart are you. I just said it is dumb to thread post injuries by surface. I just pointing out where's the posts by the POSTER about synth injuries. Why do just one surface when both have them? Go find a started POST BY ME that lists a surface injury. Genius

I thought my usage of anti-synth-ezers was kinda clever actually...

FenceBored
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought my usage of anti-synth-ezers was kinda clever actually...

Not really, no.

FenceBored
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
What is a dirt injury?

Would "It's a Bird retired after sustaining an injury while training on a dirt track" look better as a thread title? Sometimes you have to make strange word choices to keep the title short.

DJofSD
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
This is very similar to the Firestone tire/Ford Explorer problem from about 10-12 years ago. After the press latched onto the issue, every single accident involving a Ford Explorer had SUV in the report and even to this day, if there's an accident with an SUV involved, SUV is mentioned in the story.

andymays
01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
What is a dirt injury?

I think he was poking fun at a comment in the SA breakdown thread (Maybe #10)

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM

Sorry ? I don't get your post. Furthermore did I say you started a post...

tzipi
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry ? I don't get your post. Furthermore did I say you started a post...

Because you're saying I'm anti synthetic because I was just asking the poster why just dirt breakdown thread starters? There's breakdowns on both. We are now going to list all breakdowns by surface on the board? You then call me anti synth on this safety debate?
You then said there was a poster who posted about pro-ride breakdown and the hypocrisy. Why are you calling out my post to the OP and then saying anti-synth and hypocrisy. I DIDN'T post the pro-ride post. Why take my post to trash. Make your own. Wake up :bang:
You know from other threads we are in the I'm up in the air on synthetics right now with all the info coming in. I never said I was anti synth on safety.

joanied
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by cj
What is a dirt injury?

I think he was poking fun at a comment in the SA breakdown thread (Maybe #10)

Of course he was...and I am the target, andymays...I started that thread and Kismus was outraged that I used Pro Ride in the title...

after many posts from him, and one or two others, that I should not have highlighted Pro Ride, I went ahead and posted the first paragraph from the story (Papa Clem's breakdown)...and in that short paragraph it specified Pro Ride...

so, all I did was start a thread using the lead in paragraph to the story...and low and behold...Kismus blew it up making a damned mountain out of a damned mole hill....

fencebored mentioned 'dirt' because I mentioned Pro Ride...both he and Kismus disregard the fact that Pro Ride is mentioned in the story about Papa Clem...so it's simply a subtle attack on me.

joanied
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
You know. It's when the wife nags you to death to put a fence up, and during the digging of the holes, your back gets sore. That's a dirt injury.

Now a dirt death is when the wife comes home from shopping and finds that you neglected to dig the holes, so she digs one herself and throws you in with a shovel to the head. That's a death by dirt.

:lol:

Show Me the Wire
01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
joanied:

:ThmbUp: Some take pleasure in trying to rile others.

andymays
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by cj
What is a dirt injury?

Of course he was...and I am the target, andymays...I started that thread and Kismus was outraged that I used Pro Ride in the title...

after many posts from him, and one or two others, that I should not have highlighted Pro Ride, I went ahead and posted the first paragraph from the story (Papa Clem's breakdown)...and in that short paragraph it specified Pro Ride...

so, all I did was start a thread using the lead in paragraph to the story...and low and behold...Kismus blew it up making a damned mountain out of a damned mole hill....

fencebored mentioned 'dirt' because I mentioned Pro Ride...both he and Kismus disregard the fact that Pro Ride is mentioned in the story about Papa Clem...so it's simply a subtle attack on me.

I don't think you made comment #10 in that thread.

I'm enjoying the food fight though! :ThmbUp:

joanied
01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Because you're saying I'm anti synthetic because I was just asking the poster why just dirt breakdown thread starters? There's breakdowns on both. We are now going to list all breakdowns by surface on the board? You then call me anti synth on this safety debate?
You then said there was a poster who posted about pro-ride breakdown and the hypocrisy. Why are you calling out my post to the OP and then saying anti-synth and hypocrisy. I DIDN'T post the pro-ride post. Why take my post to trash. Make your own. Wake up :bang:

That's right, tzipi....I posted the thread about Papa Clem breaking down on the Pro Ride...and kismus jumped all over it...and seems to have disregarded the fact that I used Pro Ride in the thread title because in the very first lead in paragraph of the story, it said Pro Ride...I was simply using what the story said, and posted a link to the story, which I think Kismus failed to read...

so, not to worry, ignore his remarks...since I posted the lead in paragraph of the story, to show him why I used Pro Ride...as in the lead paragraph, he has not replied to it...

also, no one, IMO, is expecting anyone to start listing breakdowns according to surface...since Papa Clem is a high profile horse, I decided to post a thread about it...so I guess it's my fault that I actually had to nerve to use what the story said...Pro Ride...my bad;)

joanied
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM

neary a word:eek: ...plenty of words, kismus...maybe more of yours than anyone else...
but you failed to respond when I posted, just for you, the lead in paragraph of the story...it said "Papa Clem sustained a career ending injury after working over the Pro Ride"...
I doubt anyone would have even noticed...it was simply part of the article's text...the author of the article said Pro Ride, and not to change the wording...I used it too:faint:

Actually, all I had in mind at that time was to report that Papa Clem got hurt...and you managed to start a huge, and quite ridiculous, argument over such a small thing.

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by cj
What is a dirt injury?

My citing of your post had nothing to do with you personally, if you were offended I'm sorry. It was an illustration of how far the anti-pro ride movement has been highlighted, when injury and pro ride are synomonous words. That was my only reason for bringing it up, it is and was worth noting considering how factions are lined up on both sides of this debate.

tzipi
01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
That's right, tzipi....I posted the thread about Papa Clem breaking down on the Pro Ride...and kismus jumped all over it...and seems to have disregarded the fact that I used Pro Ride in the thread title because in the very first lead in paragraph of the story, it said Pro Ride...I was simply using what the story said, and posted a link to the story, which I think Kismus failed to read...

so, not to worry, ignore his remarks...since I posted the lead in paragraph of the story, to show him why I used Pro Ride...as in the lead paragraph, he has not replied to it...

also, no one, IMO, is expecting anyone to start listing breakdowns according to surface...since Papa Clem is a high profile horse, I decided to post a thread about it...so I guess it's my fault that I actually had to nerve to use what the story said...Pro Ride...my bad;)

Gotcha ya joanied :ThmbUp:

joanied
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't think you made comment #10 in that thread.

I'm enjoying the food fight though! :ThmbUp:

No...I beleive that was Meisque. But kismus is the one that started the crap about specifiying the Pro Ride...and, as I said...all I did was report what was in the story:faint:

Food Fight:jump: :jump: :jump:

tzipi
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree looking it at it now. joanied never wrote pro-ride in the thread head liner. Just in the post writing out what the first paragraph said. I could see a point if joanied wrote "SA breakdown on Pro-ride" as the thread headline but she never did.

joanied
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
My citing of your post had nothing to do with you personally, if you were offended I'm sorry. It was an illustration of how far the anti-pro ride movement has been highlighted, when injury and pro ride are synomonous words. That was my only reason for bringing it up, it is and was worth noting considering how factions are lined up on both sides of this debate.

I was not offended, but I was taken aback at your total disregard of the facts...that Pro Ride was part of the story...we're not supposed to take things like that out of context...did you even read that story...I provided a link...

the Pro Ride is being hashed around right now because SA is tearing it out...that's big news, and folks are gonna talk about it...and like most things that have controversy, there will be sides taken...just for the record, I was all for snythetic surfaces when all this first began...but by following the stories on it, and seeing how it all played out...I am now against it...at least the Pro Ride, which seems to be the one synthetic surface with a miriad of problems.

:faint: phew!!

joanied
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
joanied:

Guess I should change my user name to...stillriledupTWO :lol:

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
You know from other threads we are in the I'm up in the air on synthetics right now with all the info coming in. I never said I was anti synth on safety.

I'm confused you say you are not anti-synth but you did tell me you know trainer's that basically mocked it and called it identical to turf. You didn't address this when I replied to you when I asked you do you still believe synth is identical to turf...I will have to revisit our posts, but you sure sound anti-synth from our conversations...

tzipi
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm confused you say you are not anti-synth but you did tell me you know trainer's that basically mocked it and called it identical to turf. You didn't address this when I replied to you when I asked you do you still believe synth is identical to turf...I will have to revisit our posts, but you sure sound anti-synth from our conversations...

That was about handicapping it. Jesus! Not about safety. Turf is more safe and easier on horses than dirt. All I said was synth is like turf and they all say so. Where does that trash its safety?? These convos here are about its safety not handicapping it. I thought that was pretty clear.

Please start reading posts. I Dont like handicapping but never went after it on safety. I have said things from both sides as the facts have been posted places. I myself have not decided yet on it. Although like joanied I'm probably never going to be for the pro-ride stuff. Too many things going on with it.

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
That was about handicapping it. Jesus! Not about safety. Turf is more safe and easier on horses than dirt. All I said was synth is like turf and they all say so. Where does that trash its safety?? these convos are about safety not handicapping it. I thought that was pretty clear.

Please start reading posts. I Dont like handicapping but never went after it on safety. I have said things from both sides as the facts have been posted places. I myself have not decided yet on it. Although like joanied I'm probably never going to be for the pro-ride stuff. Too many things going on with it.

I never introduced safety into that particular discussion...but you like to branch out into so many topics it is hard to keep up at times. Anyway I enjoy our exchanges and this is why it is called a discussion forum tzipi.

tzipi
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I never introduced safety into that particular discussion...but you like to branch out into so many topics it is hard to keep up at times. Anyway I enjoy our exchanges and this is why it is called a discussion forum tzipi.

Well Kimsus when it's about handicapping and the trainers opinions I say its a turf surface and in the talks about it's safety I clearly say I'm not really sure yet if it's safer or not. I thought my posts are pretty clear between the two.
Yes I always tell people I never yell at the screen or let it ruin my day and I say the poking words as having fun poking and use the cartoon faces as my fellings :lol: I respect everyone on here who loves the sport and the horses. Ok well enjoy. I think my stances have been said on the issues :D

joanied
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I agree looking it at it now. joanied never wrote pro-ride in the thread head liner. Just in the post writing out what the first paragraph said. I could see a point if joanied wrote "SA breakdown on Pro-ride" as the thread headline but she never did.

tzipi...thanks:ThmbUp: ...and once again...phew:faint:
:)

CincyHorseplayer
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I had a dirt injury this morning from eating too many hot wings last night!!:cool:

FenceBored
01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by cj
What is a dirt injury?

Joanied, this thread was not in any way, shape or form an attack on you, even the slightest bit. If I had thought you might even dream of such a thing, I would have spelled it out more clearly in the original post. My apologies for any distress this has caused you.

I thought It's a Bird's retirement warranted a thread, and given the bristleliness (that's a new word :)) of some of our residents decided to highlight the dirt surface.

FenceBored
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
joanied:

I know you do, but what do I?

bisket
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
i think if you look at things level headed, and without an ax to grind. as far as safety is concerned i don't really see much difference between the surfaces. i just think its a crock that poly track is safer. they just basically effect horses in a different way. the main problem with breakdowns is because there is a shortage of horses; at the lower levels of the sport there are many horses still running that shouldn't be. thats the bottom line. horses are gonna take a bad step during a race, and unfortunately theres really nothing that can be done about that. biting each others heads off aint gonna change any of it.

tzipi
01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
I had a dirt injury this morning from eating too many hot wings last night!!:cool:

Ok that was a little wrong :lol:

bisket
01-28-2010, 06:43 PM

sheeesh i get a shovel to the head if she has to take the trash out. digging a hole would rate 2 hours of waterboarding, and then a shovel to the head ;)

tzipi
01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
sheeesh i get a shovel to the head if she has to take the trash out. digging a hole would rate 2 hours of waterboarding, and then a shovel to the head ;)

:D

joanied
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Joanied, this thread was not in any way, shape or form an attack on you, even the slightest bit. If I had thought you might even dream of such a thing, I would have spelled it out more clearly in the original post. My apologies for any distress this has caused you.

I thought It's a Bird's retirement warranted a thread, and given the bristleliness (that's a new word :)) of some of our residents decided to highlight the dirt surface.

OKIE-DOKIE, then:) don't worry about it... all is forgiven and all is well with the world:jump: :jump: :jump: and this ol' broad;)
Say, you should send your new word into Bill OReilly...he comes up with one every night:D

Have a good one, fencebored:ThmbUp:

DJofSD
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
A dirt injury is what happened to Uma Thurmon's character in "Kill Bill, Vol. 2".

bks
01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
DJofSD wrote:

This is very similar to the Firestone tire/Ford Explorer problem from about 10-12 years ago. After the press latched onto the issue, every single accident involving a Ford Explorer had SUV in the report and even to this day, if there's an accident with an SUV involved, SUV is mentioned in the story.

What are you trying to say, DJ? Could you be a little clearer? Are you saying the press interest in this story was somehow unwarranted? Something else?

DJofSD
01-29-2010, 12:41 AM
What I am saying is the press only addresses the surface issues (no pun intended). There is a lot more to dirt v. AWS than is normally discussed in the press. It's always style over substance. Call it drive by reporting.

Robert Goren
01-29-2010, 01:05 AM
I tripped over a crack in a cement sidewalk once and sprained my ankle, does that count as AWS injury? ;)

Kimsus
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM

bristleliness...Yes that's a good word, I would prefer "honestly blunt" though.

Show Me the Wire
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I know you do, but what do I?

I am sure I rile some posters, especially the ones with agendas. You like to incite a broader spectrum. Hmm the real whine maker, very imaginative and 'informed". :)

FenceBored
01-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I am sure I rile some posters, especially the ones with agendas. You like to incite a broader spectrum. Hmm the real whine maker, very imaginative and 'informed". :)

So, you're saying you rile yourself? Hmm, interesting.

I like to inform a broader spectrum. Understand?

Show Me the Wire
01-29-2010, 01:48 PM
So, you're saying you rile yourself? Hmm, interesting.

I like to inform a broader spectrum. Understand?

I guess you get worked up over me. I accept your attention to me as a compliment :kiss:

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
It was an illustration of how far the anti-pro ride movement has been highlighted, when injury and pro ride are synomonous words. That was my only reason for bringing it up, it is and was worth noting considering how factions are lined up on both sides of this debate.This whole situation is only occurring because the AWS folks touted how much safer the AWS would be to both horse and rider. The pro-AWS folks even made those of us who questioned the rush to install these surfaces feel like Michael Vick-wannabees...

I think it is highly appropriate to highlight whenever a horse breaks down on an AWS simply because those who favored, mandated and directed the installation of such surfaces here in the U.S. made safety THE major selling point.