PDA

View Full Version : Horses changing leads..

only11
01-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Do horses only change leads in the stretch??Can they change leads around turns?Do they do it on there own?

And how important is it when it comes to capping the races/ how come i never see a trip note stating " the horse refuse to change leads"

Linny
01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Do horses only change leads in the stretch??Can they change leads around turns?Do they do it on there own?

And how important is it when it comes to capping the races/ how come i never see a trip note stating " the horse refuse to change leads"

Horses should run the straightaways on the right lead and the turn on the left. They should swap leads as they start the turn and end it. It does require some coordination to do it and some horses find it hard to do when they are getting fatigued by the top of the stretch.
I follow NY and at Belmont you see alot of horses turning for home on the "wrong" (outside) lead. They can and do switch on the turn but at their peril. They are less balanced that way. It seems to happen alot at Belmont because the turn time is longer than at most tracks.
Horses can change leads on their own (they do it when turned out in a pasture, even as foals) but in a track setting they learn to do it when the rider shifts his/her weight sometimes accompanied by a slap on the shoulder and a tug on the rein. Sometimes they don't swap, even when asked and then you'll see the rider stop shuffling about and just keep riding, figuring that he'll swap eventually. Usually if they don't change leads it's because they are getting fatiqued and can't seem to figure out what to do with their legs.
Changing is important because it "refreshes" the horse, shifting the burden of pushing off to a different set of muscles. The human analogy that best fits is this: You are walking carrying a heavy bag. You carry it in the right hand because you are right handed. You feel fatigued and shift it to your left and get a (short but sweet) burst of energy because you are no longer carrying the burden with tired muscles.

Stillriledup
01-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Horses usually race on one lead on the turn, and a different lead on the straightaways. If you watch a replay of a route race, horses will switch leads on the backstretch and then switch leads into the turn and then switch back in the stretch. Some horses don't know how to switch and some horses just don't switch because of heredity and the way their legs are built. There are very few horses in today's game that never switch leads.

I would say that this is not something to really worry about as most horses do switch leads when they are supposed to.

tzipi
01-27-2010, 10:29 PM

They switch their leads when they get tired on the front lead. Like we do with our arms when carrying something heavy.

Robert Goren
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Most, but not all horses do it. The chartmaker doesn't every often because they don't what to look for. Not that it matters much, because if horse doesn't switch leads once it never does. There used be some old time horsemen who could sometimes figure out away to get them to do it. The only time I would worry about it is when a horse changes trainers. Maybe the new one has a trick up his sleeve, but probably not.

whodoyoulike
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
To Linny,

Thank you for your explanation. I've always heard about changing leads but didn't understand what was involved.

delayjf
01-27-2010, 11:38 PM
If you want to see an outstanding slow mo of a horse changing leads, check out the final stretch run scene from the movie Seabiscuit at the movie's end. You can see the lead change very clearly.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-27-2010, 11:59 PM

For the charts, there are usually 2 people, one with their binoculars focusing on the order of the horses and their distance apart as they reach particular poles/points of call, and the other is quickly writing those down as the first caller tells them outloud as the race unfolds. Anything else they happen to see and note is a helpful bonus, secondary to that main purpose. Complicating things is that the caller is looking down almost straight down the stretch from the press box area or near the top of the granstand, and trying to judge distances between horses coming at him at a nearly-straight line, so quite hard to get the distance right - which probably takes more focus to make a decent judgement call, so the cadence of the legs, let alone watching a couple-three strides at the leg level is likely not an option for them, especially with fields of any decent size.

On the other hand, others (handicappers and/or private note makers) are free to watch the race without concern about the fractional call estimates, and have the luxury of reviewing the replays mulitple times to be satisfied in picking up what notes they care to make, whereas the chart callers have to get the photo finish picture and margins, the results & prices, and all that chart information, updated online within the 20 minute standard plus get ready for the next race.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Changing leads is not a requirement for winning, but it helps IMO. Some horses never change leads and still win though.

Wasnt Affirmed or Alydar a non changer? May not be one of them, but I'm sure it was a famous horse (or two). Someone out there knows.

I pay attention to first time starters who run well but come up a little short while failing to change leads. If they do so next time that may be all they need to get up.

My question on the subject is this:
Do trainers worry about and try to correct horses who dont switch? I see jocks trying to get horses to switch all the time in the lane. Some are 'aided' by getting into trouble or bumping and they switch leads as a result. I have seen horse hanging and then a rival bumps them, forcing a lead change, and then they go on to win.

Spalding No!
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Alydar was the horse that oftened failed to change leads in the stretch.

One thing not brought up is that failing to switch leads or, perhaps even more so, switching back to the left lead in the stretch is often a sign of unsoundness.

In addition, a lot of acute injuries (catastrophic or otherwise) occur at the time of a lead change.

It is not necessarily always an issue of greeness.

Stillriledup
01-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Changing leads is not a requirement for winning, but it helps IMO. Some horses never change leads and still win though.

Wasnt Affirmed or Alydar a non changer? May not be one of them, but I'm sure it was a famous horse (or two). Someone out there knows.

I pay attention to first time starters who run well but come up a little short while failing to change leads. If they do so next time that may be all they need to get up.

Do trainers worry about and try to correct horses who dont switch? I see jocks trying to get horses to switch all the time in the lane. Some are 'aided' by getting into trouble or bumping and they switch leads as a result. I have seen horse hanging and then a rival bumps them, forcing a lead change, and then they go on to win.

Alydar didn't switch and he seemed to pass that onto his offspring. When Strike The Gold (By Alydar) won the Derby, he didn't switch leads until very late in the stretch.

joanied
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
WOW...I was gonna jump in here...but I see I don't need to...great replies for only11 :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
You'll see it now that you know what to look for. It's subtle, but you'll see a light stutter step right at the lead change, followed by acceleration. Horses get challenged in the strech, and then draw off, usually right after the lead change. Same with closers, they move on even terms and then change leads and blow right by.

There are some very astute announcers who will say when a horse is on the wrong lead or refuses to switch in the stretch.

Linny
01-28-2010, 10:10 PM
It is effectively a "skip" step when the horse swaps. His forelegs appear to be striding in a "right-LEFT pattern and then switch to "LEFT-right."
I don't like to see alot of lead changes in the stretch. It means the horse is very fatigued or feeling some discomfort that he's trying to ease.

swale84
01-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Sometimes when a horse who is adept at changing leads all of a sudden won't change them during a race or training, a trainer will look for something that might be bothering the horse physically...suspensory or something. Young horses who run green, yes they will work with the horse during the mornings to get him to change leads.

Spalding No!
01-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Sometimes when a horse who is adept at changing leads all of a sudden won't change them during a race or training, a trainer will look for something that might be bothering the horse physically...

A good example of this is a Ron Ellis-trained horse running Saturday at Santa Anita, Canonize. He won his first two starts last spring in impressive fashion, while changing leads entering the stretch in both. In his 3rd and last start, the Laz Barrera in which he was favored, he struggled down the lane on his left lead (he may have switched just nearing the wire), finishing 3rd.

Not surprisingly, he went to the sidelines and is coming off an 8-month layoff this weekend.

PICSIX
12-23-2011, 09:42 AM
http://www.equinews.com/article/race-horse-lead-preferences-studied

When horses negotiate a turn, they usually choose to gallop with the leading leg corresponding to the direction of the turn; hence, a racehorse turning to the left is most balanced and comfortable on the left lead. On a straight course, either lead can be used, and horses tend to change leads several times during a race. The author suggests that the choice of lead may be linked to biomechanical factors affecting ease of breathing (each complete gallop stride is accompanied by one inhalation and exhalation) or “handedness” (individual preference for one lead over the other).

breeze
12-24-2011, 12:16 AM
They "can" use their right lead in the turns also, but it would be very awkward for them to do so. They switch to their right leads in the stretches so as not to get tired.

The test in that thesis is flawed. For one they did not seem to account for the fact that most horses are taught to start out slow in their right lead when training. Most horses are eased into a gallop on the straightaways.

classhandicapper
12-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd be curious to know if there is different muscular development between US based horses that run counter clockwise and horses in other countries that run clock wise.

I also wonder of there are left handed and right handed horses (like humans) that would be better suited to running in one direction or the other.

If so, there may be mild bargains to be found on ether side of the Atlantic that could be shipped to the other side.

nearco
12-25-2011, 07:01 AM
I'd be curious to know if there is different muscular development between US based horses that run counter clockwise and horses in other countries that run clock wise.

I also wonder of there are left handed and right handed horses (like humans) that would be better suited to running in one direction or the other.

If so, there may be mild bargains to be found on ether side of the Atlantic that could be shipped to the other side.

Yes horses are left/right handed like humans.
Outside of Hong Kong, which only has 2 tracks, I don't believe there is any country that runs exclusively clockwise. The other side of the Atlantic is about half/half, with some courses having both left and right turns. Probably a similar breakdown for Japan and Australia.

DSB
12-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes horses are left/right handed like humans.
In all the years I've been around horses, I've never heard "dominant leg" or "dominant lead" mentioned or discussed, either by horsemen or veterinarians.

In addition, I've never observed any horse of which I suspected this was the case.

I'm just curious as to how this is determined....

nearco
12-25-2011, 02:20 PM
In all the years I've been around horses, I've never heard "dominant leg" or "dominant lead" mentioned or discussed, either by horsemen or veterinarians.

In addition, I've never observed any horse of which I suspected this was the case.

I'm just curious as to how this is determined....

You will only notice it at the canter, but most young horses when first ridden will have a preference for one side over the other and will favour either the left or right lead, and be resistant to pick up the weaker lead. Unlike humans though, it doesn't take much to make them ambidextrous.

American TBs when they come off the track and are re trained for other careers will often require extra time developing the right lead. Some horses, like roping horses for example, are ridden almost exclusively on the right lead. Many ranch horses, being ex-ropesr, will spend their lives cantering and galloping on one lead. Granted that is human induced imbalance, but horses in natural circumstances will have a preference.

Observer
12-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Leads are all about balance and comfort for the horse.

As already discussed, turns are where leads are crucial. On a turn left, the horse's legs should strike the ground: Right Hind, Left Hind, Right Front, Left Front. This puts the horse in it's best balance to negotiate the turn. The tighter the turn, the more the horse needs the correct lead.

In training horses for disciplines such as jumpers and dressage, the horse is put on very shallow turns and asked to canter along on the incorrect lead. The purpose of this training exercise is to enhance the horse's balance. The reason for the shallow turns, is to not stress the horse's body.

The only "reason" in racing for the horse to run on the right lead (Left Hind, Right Hind, Left Front, Right Front) along the backstretch and homestretch, is to offset the work of the turns, relieving fatigue. As previously mentioned, leads are truly meaningless on straight lines.

In all my years of riding and training, we've always classified horses as preferring right or left leads. At some schools, there is usually a lesson horse or two that are just horrible with one of their leads, so caution is always used with directions at the canter.

Get to know the horse to know whether racing on the wrong lead is a problem, a habit, or a strength. Lead changes require effort, and sometimes a horse just simply may not have the energy to produce the change.

For a look at a lead change in slow motion, though not racing, here is a video from youtube. The difference between racing and non-racing, is where the change starts. In race horses, the lead change starts with the front legs and then catches up on the hind legs. Here in this video, you will see the horse change the hind legs first, with the front legs to follow.

iUgnXKK0ris

Linny
12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I ride horses (not racehorses) and have found that most riding horses have one side stronger than the other. They are usually demonstrably better tracking one direction or the other. It may be because of early training or the result of how they have been ridden over the years or the result of past injury but there is usually a difference.

mountainman
12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Watching the hindstrike makes it easier to spot which lead a horse is on. If the left hind hits first, then the right foreleg is leading. Experience has also taught me that racing on the wrong lead is often a by-product of pain, infirmity or sore, choppy action. Using the right fore to lead on an american turn is a bad, bad sign, as is shifting back and forth between leads on a straightaway.

On a related note, I think it looks bush and costs a horse momentum when a jock flings his weight to encourage a lead shift. That's an aspect of race riding that's probably more apparent from the pan shot than from the saddle itself.

Dark Horse
12-29-2011, 05:09 PM
On a related note, I think it looks bush and costs a horse momentum when a jock flings his weight to encourage a lead shift. That's an aspect of race riding that's probably more apparent from the pan shot than from the saddle itself.

That's what happened to Flat Out in the BC Classic stretch. It made him change leads, but also move over too much towards Havre de Grace (with Flat Out closing in fast). Just at that moment Dominguez on top of Havre de Grace swung his stick very widely. Flat Out almost got hit in the head and reacted with an abrupt avoidance leap that made him bump into the horse on his other side. Lost momentum and the race right there. Not suggesting that Drosselmeyer wouldn't have won, but that body weight shift had rather large consequences there.

A trainer told me horses change lead legs going into the first turn, and again in the stretch.