PDA

View Full Version : Meydan ... a new era

gm10
01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Check out this video of what looks like an absolutely unbelievable complex. You can probably land a jumbo jet on the roof of the grandstand.

There's plenty of talk on synthetic surfaces, too. Some of you will get very excited when you hear what you hear.

Racing starts tomorrow.

http://www.attheraces.com/VideoConsole/

>Video Features > Jewel In The Desert ... You need to register, but it's free

cj
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Posters flocking to this thread.

Robert Goren
01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
I thought it might be about some jockey riding at AQU.:confused:

Robert Fischer
01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
can't wait

Stillriledup
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
I thought it might be about some jockey riding at AQU.:confused:

I thought the same thing too. A jockey who has some pics on the internet in teeny weenie outfits. :jump:

gm10
01-28-2010, 07:11 AM

?

gm10
01-28-2010, 07:12 AM
I thought the same thing too. A jockey who has some pics on the internet in teeny weenie outfits. :jump:

sorry to disappoint you :)

still worth watching though!!

Tom
01-28-2010, 07:48 AM
All that money - did they spring for a timer for internal fractions or do they still race in the dark ages?

nearco
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM
All that money - did they spring for a timer for internal fractions or do they still race in the dark ages?

Is timing each horse individually considered the dark ages?
Last year's DWC, http://www.emiratesracing.com/node/6?id=2296&tab=6

Seems to me that the American way of only timing the first horse to cross the timer is the dark ages way of doing things.

Tom
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Timing them is worthless is the info is not readily available.
I see no usefullness in any foreign PPs to date.

toussaud
01-28-2010, 11:19 AM
MD on talking about tapeta and saying "yes when it rains on dirt you basically have a sea of slop"

THAT'S EXACTLY THE POINT! WE WANT SLOP!

you have not lived utnil you've tried to handicap a sloppy track with a speed bias

miesque
01-28-2010, 11:24 AM
MD on talking about tapeta and saying "yes when it rains on dirt you basically have a sea of slop"

THAT'S EXACTLY THE POINT! WE WANT SLOP!

you have not lived utnil you've tried to handicap a sloppy track with a speed bias

Well you and some other may want slop but I detest betting races on sloppy tracks and have gotten to the point that I only bet a fraction of what I was originally going to wager or take a pass entirely.

JBmadera
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
got stopped out of all my trades this a.m., ouch, so I guess I am free to head over and check out Meydan.

some basic info here:

http://www.emiratesracing.com/

jb

Steve 'StatMan'
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Are all their claiming races "Meydan Claimers"? :blush: I couldn't help it. Actually, they might not even have claiming races for all I know.

Gorgeous George
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
looks unbelievable, cant wait to watch it, have been bored out of my mind watching that dribble in the US

cj
01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
looks unbelievable, cant wait to watch it, have been bored out of my mind watching that dribble in the US

I completely understand. Of course that dribble in Europe is real high class right now as well.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Why do you watch something that bores you? You're awesome.

You see, most Americans dont watch soccer....because its BORING.

gm10
01-28-2010, 06:56 PM
some pix from BBC news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8483901.stm

it cost 2 BILLION dollars
astonishing - worth more than all American tracks joint together imo

gm10
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM

It depends, it can be very boring, for sure. But so can horse racing of course :).

WinterTriangle
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

surprised.

For all the talk about "what's good for racing".

Here's an unbelievably beautiful complex, dedicated to our sport, built by somebody who obviously appreicates horse racing enough to spend on it.

Even nicer than the japan facilities.

amazing value there today, gotta study up on the trainers, jocks and horses and my tapeta sires/bm sires.:jump:

Dahoss9698
01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Some might consider what Godolphin has been doing for years as a shining example of everything wrong with racing.

Tom
01-28-2010, 09:36 PM
some pix from BBC news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8483901.stm

it cost 2 BILLION dollars
astonishing - worth more than all American tracks joint together imo

Cost and worth not the same thing.
When making a profit is not a concern, you can focus on fluff over substance. My life will be complete without ever watching a race there.

cj
01-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Something is only worth the price for which it can be sold. I would say that track is worth nowhere even close to 2 billion.

nijinski
01-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I thought they were reporting financial woes over there.
Oh I forgot , a neighbor bailed them out.

BTW , a huge complex with nor a dime wagered .

WinterTriangle
01-29-2010, 04:39 AM
I have no problem with world class ambiance dedicated to horse racing. There is a long history and tradition in that part of the world with horse racing.

Sheik Mo is from Bedoin heritage; his father made sure the education of all his sons included a mastery of horses and horsemanship. As young people they could recount the pedigree of every one of their mounts. The history of the Thoroughbred starts in Arabia, and this man is serious about reclaiming his heritage. He is Cambridge educated, could have just as well become a stockbroker or international banker, etc. His father and grandfather taught him how to look at a horse and evaluate every aspect of it.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet spend their $$$ how they wish, so does Sheik Mo. and he is lucky enough and rich enough to be able to truly INDULGE his passion....no holes barred. These people are serious horsemen, for goodness sakes, compete in endurance championships (100+ miles).

(Not some noveau riche person who decided to buy a bunch of the best horses just 'because').

American thoroughbred auctions certainly benefitted from the coolmore/godolphin rivalry, and while I understand the resentment (there is always resentment where big $$ is concerned) then perhaps they shouldn't have auctions if they don't want Japan, Dubai, buying.

So, sheik mo builds a beautiful facility dedicated to the sport of racing, and it's reviled. I see is a man who is passionate about horses, whose entire heritage and upbringing has been defined by horses, and decided to spend his vast wealth in pursuit of his passion. No, he wasn't born here. That's not his fault.

McLaughlin and others speak highly of him, and they have first hand experience, that he is competitive but also a very gracious loser. He loves the sport, and he loves horses.

Robert Fischer
01-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Bill Gates and Warren Buffet spend their $$$ how they wish, so does Sheik Mo. and he is lucky enough and rich enough to be able to truly INDULGE his passion....no holes barred. These people are serious horsemen, for goodness sakes, compete in endurance championships (100+ miles).

yikes, "no HOLDS barred" very important distinction in the expression.

Buffett is revered like a role model and genius, but when Benjamin Graham said to "buy cheap & ugly", somehow I'm not sure he meant being a figurehead for a Chinese operation to exploit African oil, one that barters oil, in exchange for arms and funding genocide in Darfur. :confused:

On the other hand, Sheikh Mo is an ARAB who doesn't fit our "spending-in-these-times", and "race-surface" preferences!!! This blasphemous sonofabitch doesn't DESERVE to be mentioned in the same breath as Warren Buffett (or Warren Buffet even).

gm10
01-29-2010, 06:29 AM
I have no problem with world class ambiance dedicated to horse racing. There is a long history and tradition in that part of the world with horse racing.

Sheik Mo is from Bedoin heritage; his father made sure the education of all his sons included a mastery of horses and horsemanship. As young people they could recount the pedigree of every one of their mounts. The history of the Thoroughbred starts in Arabia, and this man is serious about reclaiming his heritage. He is Cambridge educated, could have just as well become a stockbroker or international banker, etc. His father and grandfather taught him how to look at a horse and evaluate every aspect of it.

(Not some noveau riche person who decided to buy a bunch of the best horses just 'because').

American thoroughbred auctions certainly benefitted from the coolmore/godolphin rivalry, and while I understand the resentment (there is always resentment where big $$ is concerned) then perhaps they shouldn't have auctions if they don't want Japan, Dubai, buying.

So, sheik mo builds a beautiful facility dedicated to the sport of racing, and it's reviled. I see is a man who is passionate about horses, whose entire heritage and upbringing has been defined by horses, and decided to spend his vast wealth in pursuit of his passion. No, he wasn't born here. That's not his fault.

McLaughlin and others speak highly of him, and they have first hand experience, that he is competitive but also a very gracious loser. He loves the sport, and he loves horses.

I was relieved to read your post after some surprisingly bitter comments made by others. Sheikh Mo is an honourable man who genuinely cares about horse racing. It's hard to think of an equivalent in the US or Europe.

The roots of horse racing are not commercial. In its origins, horse racing is about honour, passion, competition. I think this is a fantastic shot in the arm for horse racing WORLDWIDE.

People who can't see this new complex for what it is, because of jealousy, anti-Arab or anti-synthetic sentiments, etc ... well, that's rather sad. Try harder.

Gorgeous George
01-29-2010, 06:36 AM

best post ive read yet beats some of the dribble i read aswell as watch;)

Gorgeous George
01-29-2010, 06:38 AM
I completely understand. Of course that dribble in Europe is real high class right now as well.

the dribble in europe still beats the dribble in the US hands down kid

Gorgeous George
01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
im prepearing for the dribble below:lol:

FenceBored
01-29-2010, 07:42 AM
im prepearing for the dribble below:lol:

I'm more worried about being dribbled upon by what's above! :eek:

castaway01
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM

George, what the f--- is "dribble". Do you mean "drivel"? Too bad since you're ENGLISH and all that you don't understand the language. Work on it.

castaway01
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm more worried about being dribbled upon by what's above! :eek:

George will dribble on you, that's for damn sure. He doesn't understand English but loves to preach about how the English are best.

cj
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I think George proclaims to be Irish, which is sad, because Ireland is a great place to visit.

Obviously he is full of Guinness because there is no way the racing in Europe can top the US at this time of year.

Dahoss9698
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I was relieved to read your post after some surprisingly bitter comments made by others. Sheikh Mo is an honourable man who genuinely cares about horse racing. It's hard to think of an equivalent in the US or Europe.

The roots of horse racing are not commercial. In its origins, horse racing is about honour, passion, competition. I think this is a fantastic shot in the arm for horse racing WORLDWIDE.

People who can't see this new complex for what it is, because of jealousy, anti-Arab or anti-synthetic sentiments, etc ... well, that's rather sad. Try harder.

Just so you know, not that it appears you have the mental capacity to understand, people are able to form opinions on organizations, people, etc that have nothing to do with the persons race or how they feel about synthetics.

I despise what Godolphin has done to American racing. Buying up every horse they can, only to whisk them away to a track built with the blood, sweat and tears of the impoverished people of that emirate. We're lucky if the horses come back at all and if they do, usually as a shell of what they once were.

I'm sure the new track is wonderful. Just as I'm sure the man made islands they are building are wonderful. But, at what price? I fail to see anything honorable about what Godolphin has done. You can't buy honor.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aRsjlClzl500

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Show Me the Wire
01-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Just so you know, not that it appears you have the mental capacity to understand, people are able to form opinions on organizations, people, etc that have nothing to do with the persons race or how they feel about synthetics.

I despise what Godolphin has done to American racing. Buying up every horse they can, only to whisk them away to a track built with the blood, sweat and tears of the impoverished people of that emirate. We're lucky if the horses come back at all and if they do, usually as a shell of what they once were.

I'm sure the new track is wonderful. Just as I'm sure the man made islands they are building are wonderful. But, at what price? I fail to see anything honorable about what Godolphin has done. You can't buy honor.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

What about the people that willingly sold the American horses for the ill-gotten money secured through the blood and sweat of the impovershed people? Are they just as guilty?

Tom
01-29-2010, 02:35 PM

I see no way that this track help any racing anywhere else.
Sorry, but it is a pretty isolated track - few ship from there and we just of over that an win the big one every year. Other than that, if there were no Dubai track, all would go on undaunted. It's not like it some kind of Saratoga or anything, where major 2 yos debut and the stage for the triple crown is kicked off. It's a non-betting track in the desert. :sleeping:

Robert Fischer
01-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood
Then one day, my mama bought me a basketball

Greyfox
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
It's a non-betting track in the desert. :sleeping:

I agree that it's a non-betting track in the desert.
However, stabled in Dubai are some of the world's very best breeding stock thoroughbreds ( and camels).
The Sheik Maktoum's Godolphin operation is second to none.
Some years they've dominated European racing and sooner than later they'll be a force to be reckoned with here.
Check out the Godolphin website.
http://www.godolphin.com/

Dahoss9698
01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
What about the people that willingly sold the American horses for the ill-gotten money secured through the blood and sweat of the impovershed people? Are they just as guilty?

I understand it's a business. If someone wants to grossly overpay me for a horse, I'd take the money in a second. But at the same time, being the richest guy around doesn't make you honorable by default. There is nothing honorable about what goes on in that emirate and certainly nothing honorable about throwing your money around as they do.

There is a gigantic difference between what Godolphin does and what someone like Jess Jackson. On track and off track.

Tom
01-30-2010, 12:14 AM
I agree that it's a non-betting track in the desert.
However, stabled in Dubai are some of the world's very best breeding stock thoroughbreds ( and camels).

When that happens, I'll pay attention to the ones that ship here.
But even, I could care less what they stick in the desert. Dubai will never be anything more significant than one Saturday I have to get up early every spring. :rolleyes:

gm10
01-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Sorry I am not reading anybody who writes this, and I won't respond either (especially as it's not even relevant). I'm not going to go down to your level. Goodbye.

gm10
01-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I see no way that this track help any racing anywhere else.
Sorry, but it is a pretty isolated track - few ship from there and we just of over that an win the big one every year. Other than that, if there were no Dubai track, all would go on undaunted. It's not like it some kind of Saratoga or anything, where major 2 yos debut and the stage for the triple crown is kicked off. It's a non-betting track in the desert. :sleeping:

I fail to see why betting is a necessary ingredient. In fact, you could argue that the lack of it points to a purer love of the sport.

It's not Saratoga, it's not Ascot, it's not Deauville. It's Dubai. Another jewel in the crown.

Tom
01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
See, I don't love the sport, I love the game.

Robert Goren
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
See, I don't love the sport, I love the game.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Bobby Seller
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Generally there are several options that take action during the carnival and world cup days.

Dahoss9698
01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Sorry I am not reading anybody who writes this, and I won't respond either (especially as it's not even relevant). I'm not going to go down to your level. Goodbye.

The thing is, I was going down to your level. This is what I was responding to.

You won't respond because you have no response. That's pretty obvious. What could you say? Throwing around the accusations you did, with nothing to back it up ... well, that's rather sad. Try harder.

rastajenk
01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
What some would call "world class ambiance," others might call wretched excess.

BUD
01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Are all their claiming races "Meydan Claimers"? :blush: I couldn't help it. Actually, they might not even have claiming races for all I know.

I CANT GET THAT OUTTA MY HEAD:bang: :bang:

There are no More Maiden Races--It All MEYDAN---
Its getting the hiccups Forever

tzipi
01-30-2010, 04:37 PM
When I see Meydan,I see why I'm paying a million dollars a gallon for gas. :lol:

WinterTriangle
01-31-2010, 02:18 AM
With all due respect, guys, I'm talking about horses and horse racing.

There is a political topic area somewhere else on the forum.

When talking about horses and horse racing, I do not get involved with the personal life of owners, trainers, etc. I only care how they treat their horses and how they feel about racing.

I don't care what went on with gill's mortgage company, blah blah blah or how warren buffett makes his money (if you want some of those dirty secrets, we can discuss that elsewhere), or how other owners or trainers made their fortune outside of racing.

I think Meydan is gorgeous, and I think Sheik Mo has a deep love of everything having to do with horses, and he himself is a splendid horseman.

gm10
01-31-2010, 06:47 AM
The thing is, I was going down to your level. This is what I was responding to.

You won't respond because you have no response. That's pretty obvious. What could you say? Throwing around the accusations you did, with nothing to back it up ... well, that's rather sad. Try harder.

Dude, you were plainly insulting me. Don't pretend you were just doing what I was doing. Pathetic.
And btw, I read your articles. I read them before. They have nothing to do with anything. It's like me posting articles about how the US toxic loans started the global crisis, and how it makes me not like American racing. Complete waste of time.

Dahoss9698
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Dude, you were plainly insulting me. Don't pretend you were just doing what I was doing. Pathetic.
And btw, I read your articles. I read them before. They have nothing to do with anything. It's like me posting articles about how the US toxic loans started the global crisis, and how it makes me not like American racing. Complete waste of time.

Trust me, if I insult you, you'll know it. I was responding to your asinine assumption about why people dislike Godolphin.

Pathetic is reading those articles and thinking it was a complete waste of time. Maybe whoever was reading them to you left some things out?

Gorgeous George
02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
George, what the f--- is "dribble". Do you mean "drivel"? Too bad since you're ENGLISH and all that you don't understand the language. Work on it.

people with speech disorders dribble and i was warning everyone that such people would be posting, low and behold you post. Living in Ireland i can safely say im IRISH. So go grab a tissue and wipe the dribble from your chin

Gorgeous George
02-01-2010, 06:45 AM
I think George proclaims to be Irish, which is sad, because Ireland is a great place to visit.

Obviously he is full of Guinness because there is no way the racing in Europe can top the US at this time of year.

I think CJ proclaims to be american which just like most of his posts is irrelevant.

Dont drink guinness it stinks, prefer a nice ice cold pint of Harp myself.

Tom
02-01-2010, 08:05 AM
So why do you post here? Bars all closed?

gm10
02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow. Glad I started this thread of exceptional quality. Please close this discussion if possible.

FenceBored
02-01-2010, 08:33 AM
I think CJ proclaims to be american which just like most of his posts is irrelevant.

Dont drink guinness it stinks, prefer a nice ice cold pint of Harp myself.

So, guys who drink Harp would be Harpers. Would that make women who drink Harp ... Harpies?

FenceBored
02-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow. Glad I started this thread of exceptional quality. Please close this discussion if possible.

Oh, come on. You know the only reason they opened the new track was so that the papers of every horse who wins there will say Meyden, Dubai. ;)

Gorgeous George
02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
So why do you post here? Bars all closed?

why do you post here? playgroup finished?

FenceBored
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Paulick (http://www.paulickreport.com/) has a link to a nice little PDF at the Dubai Racing Club's website detailing the country of origin breakout of nominations to races on DWC day.

http://www.dubairacingclub.com/sites/default/files/2010%20DWC%20Noms%20Breakdown.pdf

UAE leads the list with 371 individual entries to the US's 159, nobody else even breaks 100.

Tom
02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh, come on. You know the only reason they opened the new track was so that the papers of every horse who wins there will say Meyden, Dubai. ;):lol: GOOD one!

toussaud
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
the good news about the durf there is maybe sheikh mo will stop pillaging all our dirt 3YO's.