PDA

View Full Version : Apple I Pad

turfnsport
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
This IPad really looks awesome.

I'm assuming pdf past performaces would look good on this.

A question for some of you computer experts:

Would something like DRF Formulator Web (including the replays) be fully functional on the IPad?

miesque
01-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I agree, this iPad does look awesome and is exactly what I have been looking for. The main reason I have not gotten an iPhone or a Crackberry is that I have been wanting something with email, internet, information, video capabilities with a much bigger screen then an iPhone since I have a 17 inch laptop which is my primary computer (and I really love having a laptop that large but its unwieldy at times). This looks like it can very comfortably fit into my briefcase and very manageable from a weight perspective.

chickenhead
01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I think its kind of meh....a big Ipod is cool, but it should have had a GPS and probably a front facing camera. $499 is a good base price tho, they'll sell quite a few.

I think Formulator Web uses Flash, so it wouldn't work on this.

bigmack
01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
What reason is there for people to buy it? It's the latest gizmo I guess but other than that it's wow factor is a real yawn.

9eVCFXxgn2M

chickenhead
01-27-2010, 05:21 PM
(to bolster my previous rant on race replays :) )

YOUTUBE will work just fine on it. Youtube and Vimeo will work, most/many other video sites won't, at least not right now (Hulu, Netflix etc).

Most use Flash or Silverlight on the web, people need to write special Apple aps to get the stuff on the Ipod/phone devices. Part of the reason I dislike the entire model as a consumer, it takes things away from the web and puts them in closed ecosystems instead, but its great for Apple. Consumer lock-in is great for the bottom line.

letswastemoney
01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Why though?

If you have a laptop, that already fits in your bag and performs more functions.

The iPad uses the iPhone OS! Wouldn't it be more efficient to buy a laptop that performs much more functions with a real OS? The iPad is basically gigantic iPod Touch or iPhone. Any program that you could get on it will have to approved by Apple. It seems very limiting and restricted to me.

letswastemoney
01-27-2010, 10:10 PM
No USB ports, no flash support, and no memory slots also make it sound like Apple charging more for less features.

CBedo
01-28-2010, 12:38 AM
It runs the iPhone OS and unless they have changed their stance, doesn't support flash, so most of the racing related apps won't work, and I don't think formulator web will either since it is flash based.

Oops, already answered, sorry.

bigmack
01-28-2010, 12:44 AM
At first blush this is the most anticipated, biggest buzz letdown since the Segway.

chickenhead
01-28-2010, 01:17 AM
At first blush this is the most anticipated, biggest buzz letdown since the Segway.

The Segway came to mind here as well.

Their talking about how you just sync it to your computer, that sounds terrible to me. You mean you hook it up with a wire to another computer, and it *just works*. Yawn. I'd much more interested in having them demo Google Docs, Gmail, Google Calendar, where all my stuff already is and will just show up, just like any other computer. And I'd guess they're still a better experience on a netbook...because the UI for the web hasn't changed. It's not designed for this device.

The only real interesting thing about this is that they're using Apples own silicon for the processor, GPU, etc, this is a first -- and its apparently very quick. That bodes well for their profit margins and future Iphone performance.

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2010, 03:56 AM
What reason is there for people to buy it? It's the latest gizmo I guess but other than that it's wow factor is a real yawn.I had similar thoughts watching the presentation earlier Wednesday afternoon.

JustRalph
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
If you have a netbook.........why would you buy this ............?

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2010, 04:31 AM
If you have a netbook.........why would you buy this ............?Less clumsy than a netbook for starters...but less functional at the same time...

OTM Al
01-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I am not an Apple fan. I much prefer a Blackberry to an iPhone and don't care for the Mac, but this thing intrigues me. I think the key is to have functionality with it and it's design that does not make it an underpowered computer or a super-sized phone.I think this thing could be quite useful and it's touch screen interface sounds very good.

Spendabuck85
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Funny article and video about the naming of the IPAD.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35109625/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
For the record, I have an iPhone and think it's one of the better items I have ever owned.

But this iPad seems exactly like an oversized iPhone or iPod touch.

kingfin66
01-29-2010, 09:37 PM
For the record, I have an iPhone and think it's one of the better items I have ever owned.

But this iPad seems exactly like an oversized iPhone or iPod touch.

Exactly. The good thing is that we can expect other similar devices to be released that will have a REAL OS. Putting the ultra slim design, touch pad functionality, cool features and super long battery life, but make it an actual computer...now you have something. I love my iPod Touch, but am not looking for a larger one.

Zenyatta To Crush
01-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't know...if it's anything like THIS Apple product, I think I'll pass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

raybo
01-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Exactly. The good thing is that we can expect other similar devices to be released that will have a REAL OS. Putting the ultra slim design, touch pad functionality, cool features and super long battery life, but make it an actual computer...now you have something. I love my iPod Touch, but am not looking for a larger one.

Yeah, I'd be interested if it was more along the lines of a touch-screen tablet PC, with a real harddrive and real ram and would run all applications (like Office, etc.).

It looks like just another toy, to me.