PDA

View Full Version : Scared Money

alysheba88
06-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Anyone read this book?

I have. Found it very useful. Really gets into some good physchology issues and overall "winning" playing.

JimG
06-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Read it twice. Enjoyed it each time. Not really a handicapping book but a fun read with some food for thought on the psychology of playing the races.

Jim

Topcat
06-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)
Anyone read this book?

I have. Found it very useful. Really gets into some good physchology issues and overall "winning" playing.

I read it and returned it for a refund. I think that was the only horse racing book out of mayb a hundred that i ever returned for
a refund-so obviously I didn't think much of it.

Zaf
06-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Didn't love it.

ZAFONIC

alysheba88
06-26-2003, 08:23 AM
You must be numbers guys:)

alysheba88
06-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Seriously though, I am interested to hear why you didn't like it. Was it the message?

cato
06-28-2003, 11:28 PM
My primary complaint was that it failed to meet my expectations. I read a lot of Cramer's stuff and thought that he was a talented imaginitive writer. For example Thoroughbred Cycles is damn near lyrical in many passages.

So I really looked forward to reading Scared Money, recognizing that it had to be one of only a handful of fiction books (maybe the only one) written by a good writer who was an excellent handicapper.

So I went into it wth great expectations.

What I found was just a loosely written, mediocre book.

But it is a book about handicaping and life written by a good handicapper and a truly excellent person, so its worth the read.

Cheers, Cato

Tom
06-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Was this the book that based its characters loosely on Doc Sartin, Jim Bradshaw, et all?

Vigors
06-30-2003, 10:16 AM
This book was the thinly veiled chapter or Cramer & his friends and track buddy's, fellow musican's...working stiff's and buddy's not unlike a tome to the SIENFIELD characters.It also rings the truth to the jobs & troubled relationships of we all share in this
situation called LIFE. The restraunts, bar's and streets are all real,
I've been to them all and was just waiting for Joe Friday to show me his badge and asked if I've ever seen a piture of these 2 men
( the piture was of Dick Mitchell graduating from MIT, as Cramer
did his best to look like Elvis on a silk piture ) That is was a true testament where you could smell the dust on the floor, the over perfumed tote taken, the language of the back side made it a
worthwhile visit to yesteryear.....Whoa, Silver

Topcat
06-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)
Seriously though, I am interested to hear why you didn't like it. Was it the message?

From a writer's (and reader's) view point it was poorly written, disjuncted, full of platitudes and just self-indulgent. Am i starting to sound like Simon? Ok, Perhaps I had higher expectations of the book as Mark Cramer is usually a much better writer. I had the sense it was something he slapped together while on one of his over seas trips. If he didn't already have a reputation as a great handicapper and a good writer this book would never have made it to print.

Derek2U
06-30-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm gona write a book. and since i hate long wordy stuff i'm gona
plan a max of 20 pages. i will explore all facets of handicapping.

blind squirrel
06-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Well,it's not "SEABISCUIT",however;i would give CRAMER credit
for trying to convey the difficulty of being a "PROFESSIONAL
HANDICAPPER"and the psychology that goes in to betting
when your rent depends on it.i'll always be grateful for
CRAMER introducing me to some great angles in "KINKY HANDICAPPING".

cj
06-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U
I'm gona write a book. and since i hate long wordy stuff i'm gona
plan a max of 20 pages. i will explore all facets of handicapping.

tHE wA U tyPE, I prOb B lUck-ee 2 make it Throoo the 1sT page! I'd r8 it a 2!
:D :D :D

Lefty
06-30-2003, 08:20 PM
I also thought Scared Money was poorly written and thought it was a slap at Sartin but the Doc didn't think so.

Derek's gonna write a book? And you thght Sartinese was tough to decipher...

alysheba88
07-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Dont agree with a lot of it, but was good to see some interesting discussion. Would like to see more discussion of racing books.

netherworld
07-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Vigors
This book was the thinly veiled chapter or Cramer & his friends and track buddy's, fellow musican's...working stiff's and buddy's not unlike a tome to the SIENFIELD characters.It also rings the truth to the jobs & troubled relationships of we all share in this
situation called LIFE. The restraunts, bar's and streets are all real,
I've been to them all and was just waiting for Joe Friday to show me his badge and asked if I've ever seen a piture of these 2 men
( the piture was of Dick Mitchell graduating from MIT, as Cramer
did his best to look like Elvis on a silk piture ) That is was a true testament where you could smell the dust on the floor, the over perfumed tote taken, the language of the back side made it a
worthwhile visit to yesteryear.....Whoa, Silver

What you wrote is better than the book.

I thought it made for a good outline for a book. It needed fleshing out and I felt that Mark's heart was just not into it.

Maxspa
07-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Lefty,
You mentioned Doc Sartin in one of your replies. How is he and what is he doing now? I remember one of his Las Vegas Seminars, I talked with him a few minutes while on a break, he was a down to earth guy, easy to interact with except for that awful pipe!
Maxspa