PDA

View Full Version : Diet & Exercise

bigmack
01-26-2010, 12:24 AM
I've recently found I don't like or can't eat the foods I once did. I've always been a big believer in listening to what your body says.

I've gravitated more towards salads/fruits, smoothies and less greasy offerings.

Not wild about the indigestion or bloated feeling anymore. I think most people get into grooves of eating foods they always have and pay little attention, as they get older, to how they should change their eating habits.

Not a big fan of gyms, I go with reluctance.

Big believer in fish oil & psyllium.

What else is out there?

chickenhead
01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
My only real nod to health was trying to get better about snacks, besides fruit I found Fiber One bars to be borderline tasty, and a good way to boost fiber.

I've turned a few people on to them, and while they all acclimated and became fans, they did give me some feedback, so I give some warning -- if you are not getting enough fiber right now, ease in to the Fiber One bars. Maybe eat just a half a day for awhile. Particularly if you spend a lot of your day in a quiet office environment.

bigmack
01-26-2010, 12:46 AM
My only real nod to health was trying to get better about snacks, besides fruit I found Fiber One bars to be borderline tasty, and a good way to boost fiber.
I roll with Grapenuts in the AM, providing I give them 5 or so minutes to absorb the milk. Fiber really helps move things.

This I didn't know:

On average, it takes 39 hours in women and 31 hours in men for food to pass through the colon. Fiber can significantly accelerate those times.

NJ Stinks
01-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Bigmack, I suggest you try eating more fish. I know I don't like the feeling I get when I eat too much meat anymore. But a nice piece of meat is still great once in a while.

White fish, salmon, whatever fish it is needs a nice wine sauce IMO. Or tartar sauce. Something to add flavor to the fish. Anyway, I always feel good after a fish dinner. (15 years ago I only ate shellfish.)

Chickenhead, thanks for the quiet office tip. :lol:

DJofSD
01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Alton Brown recently aired an episode of "Good Eats" where he talks about his diet. Live & Let Diet - segment 1. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJpmz1oduE)

Robert Goren
01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Bigmack, I suggest you try eating more fish. I know I don't like the feeling I get when I eat too much meat anymore. But a nice piece of meat is still great once in a while.

White fish, salmon, whatever fish it is needs a nice wine sauce IMO. Or tartar sauce. Something to add flavor to the fish. Anyway, I always feel good after a fish dinner. (15 years ago I only ate shellfish.)

Chickenhead, thanks for the quiet office tip. :lol: I love white fish and tuna, but you have be careful about how much you eat. They have been contaminated with Mercury. If you eat it too often you will get sick, very sick.

Tom
01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
I roll with Grapenuts in the AM, providing I give them 5 or so minutes to absorb the milk. Fiber really helps move things.

I tried them - no grapes,no nuts. What the hell?

wisconsin
01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I tried them - no grapes,no nuts. What the hell?

They are called grape nuts because they resemble grape seeds.

xtb
01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I regret having eaten so much white bread, white pasta and junk food earlier in my life and not enough fiber. It will damage you, I just said goodbye to a foot of my colon two days ago at the hospital.

JBmadera
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I lost a bunch of weight a few years back and one of the keys was drinking plenty of water, about 24oz before every meal and every snack.

gl!

lsbets
01-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Start every day with a bowl of Special K and add raisins. After that I eat whatever I want, but never a lot. I have a little something about every 2 hours. I never feel hungry when I do that. I found that if I ate big meals I would get really tired. I'm still sitting at the same weight I was when I was on active duty. I'm pretty happy to be 38 years old and have a 30 waist. My wife actually weighs 10 pounds less than she did before we had kids. Someone asked her the other day how she stays thin, and she answered honestly "I eat all day". That wasn't the answer the woman was looking for. Red meat is only once or twice a week, and then my wife and I split it. Fish and chicken, salads, fruit, citrus, and soups. I do think there is something to eating a little bit every couple of hours instead of gorging 3 times a day.

delayjf
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
DJofSD,

You are the last person I would have expected to see on this thread. You should be on a runway in France. :lol:

GaryG
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Breakfast is shredded wheat with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or peaches when in season. Very little red meat or grease. Makes it tough when you like country cookin. I won't give up barbecue though. This place in Bluff City is the world's best:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s2G9Ja2yxEg/Skq7x3hawDI/AAAAAAAAXBU/epATpkvnFoM/s400/Ridgewood+BBQ.jpg

jballscalls
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
It's interesting that you guys are posting this, because i'm presently in the middle of a big weight loss, and have addressed some serious dietary changes in the last 8 months.

I'm by no means an older person (29 almost 30) but i've found in the last year or so, that eating greasy or super fatty foods just make me feel crappy.

The biggest dietary changes i've made is Grape Nuts and soy milk for breakfast, a lot more fruit and veggies, and the most important thing for me, has been smaller portions. everytime i go to a restaurant, because the portions are so huge, i usually just eat half of the food, and either take it home to have the next day or give to one of the many homeless dudes here in Portland.

Since April of 09 i got 55lbs off, about 35 or 40 to go!

DJofSD
01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
DJofSD,

You are the last person I would have expected to see on this thread. You should be on a runway in France. :lol:
You're right, I should be somewhere, anywhere else.

I actually have been there, done that, when it comes to the diet and losing some "L-B's" thing. In my case I found just cutting out added sugar, dropping anything with corn syrup and portion control has allowed me to get within 10 pounds of what my weight was from my teen age years up to about 11 years ago. A little more golf -- walking, no cart -- and some additional changes to the diet and I should be able to get even closer to my goal.

johnhannibalsmith
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm sort of in the same boat but from a different angle. I've been around 145-150lbs. for most of my life and a year or so ago, I just couldn't eat much of anything anymore. I dropped to around 115 lbs and began eating small snack throughout the day (crackers, cucumbers, whatever) and one meal and have been maintaining around 125-130.

For whatever reason, a guy that used to love burgers, and more than anything, pasta - I cannot eat most meat at all anymore and can only eat about half as much pasta before I just get so exhausted that I pass out...

Maybe the democratic majority is poisoning us all... :D

banacek
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I've been on many diets..low carb (lost 30 lbs..came back in a few months), low fat (same thing). Last Sept. I decided to try something new.at least for me..counting calories. All the other diets restrict things and I don't want to be told..no sugar..no fat..no carbs..doesn't fit my personality. Using calories I can have whatever I want..only in moderation. If I go for fast food..I have the burger, but no fries. If I have a piece of cake, that means less dinner. If I have a big dinner..very small piece of cake. I'm down 35 pounds and have another 15 or so to go. I know I can keep doing this and maintain it because I don't feel deprived.

46zilzal
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
No, watch FOOD incorporated or Read Eric Schlosser's great expose on the food industry, FAST FOOD NATION (on par with Upton SInclair's THE JUNLGE when it comes to telling you like is is) and you will learn about the CRAP you eat which has had NO scientific study in the long term health hazards. You poison yourself daily with that crap (processed foods).

jballscalls
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
No, watch FOOD incorporated or Read Eric Schlosser's great expose on the food industry, FAST FOOD NATION (on par with Upton SInclair's THE JUNLGE when it comes to telling you like is is) and you will learn about the CRAP you eat which has had NO scientific study in the long term health hazards. You poison yourself daily with that crap (processed foods).

these are the same guys that say Global Warming is real!

wisconsin
01-26-2010, 12:14 PM

To quote Jack Lalaine:

"If it's man made, don't eat it, and if it tastes good, spit it out."

46zilzal
01-26-2010, 12:29 PM
My wife is a health NUT. I take vitamins, she hides the car keys from me and tells me to walk more often, she throws out the "junk" food I sneak in the house and.......I follow her diet and the pounds are staying off, all the cholesterol and triglyceride readings are as low as they can be for my age and family history (riddled with cardiovascular history on both sides of the family and am the oldest in the family to have gone this long without a cardiac event, fingers crossed).

Natural foods, NO additives. if you are hungry, eat a pear or an apple: roughage and good nutrition.

No longer use sugar: we use Xylitol with a very low gylcemic index which is recommended for diabetics.

DJofSD
01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
No longer use sugar: we use Xylitol with a very low gylcemic index which is recommended for diabetics.

First I've heard of Xylitol.

What is the GI?

RaceBookJoe
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
To quote Jack Lalaine:

"If it's man made, don't eat it, and if it tastes good, spit it out."

A very good rule to follow....the other one i heard was, if you can eat it, or pronouce it then dont rub it on your skin. rbj

RaceBookJoe
01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
My wife is a health NUT. I take vitamins, she hides the car keys from me and tells me to walk more often, she throws out the "junk" food I sneak in the house and.......I follow her diet and the pounds are staying off, all the cholesterol and triglyceride readings are as low as they can be for my age and family history (riddled with cardiovascular history on both sides of the family and am the oldest in the family to have gone this long without a cardiac event, fingers crossed).

Natural foods, NO additives. if you are hungry, eat a pear or an apple: roughage and good nutrition.

Good for her...and i totally agree except that natural organic may be a touch better than just natural. I am very against aspertame and its products....i have never used xylitol, but do use the herb stevia. Have you ever tried the product "just like sugar"..i havent, but have heard great things about it. Also doing cleanses will help with proper body function and weight loss is a positive side effect.

Tom
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
these are the same guys that say Global Warming is real!

Welcome to the Dark Side! :D

Black Ruby
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Xylitol is toxic to some animals, including dogs, so use it at your own risk. And aspertame can cause seizures and other major problems with some people.

Research says a pound of muscle burns between 30-60 calories per day. So if you add 10 pounds of muscle, you're burning a lot more calories.

Track Collector
01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
One thing seems to either help me be successful or cause me to fail, and that is PROCESSED SUGAR. I gradually lost about 30 pounds over a 1 and 1/2 year period when I cut out virtually all processed sugars. During that period I still enjoyed the natural sugars (found in things like fruit) in moderation, and I still ate plenty of other foods. When I slowly began eating more and more processed sugars, I slowly put the weight back on. Even things that sound heathy and natural like orange juice have too much sugar. For the vitamin C benefit, simply take a tablet and drink some water. I also found it extremely helpful to look at food labels to determine the amount of sugar (grams) per serving. Many foods (that you previously thought were ok sugar-wise) will surprise you!

Everyone is different, but a big drop in (processed) sugar consumption worked for me.

P.S. Treats with artificial sweeners were also avoided.

46zilzal
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Xylitol is toxic to some animals, including dogs, so use it at your own risk. And aspertame can cause seizures and other major problems with some people.

funny so is chocolate. Species physiologies and pharmacological reactions are very very different as they teach in pharmacology 1A.

Trident Gum has had it for years with not a problem.

46zilzal
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Also doing cleanses will help with proper body function and weight loss is a positive side effect.
I hear that all the time and actually wonder just WHAT is cleansed. "Get rid of those toxins" but then NO ONE is able to tell me the levels before and after these cleansings since not a one knows what is getting removed!

from Wikipedia
Xylitol has no known toxicity in humans. In one study, the participants consumed a diet containing a monthly average of 1.5 kg of xylitol with a maximum daily intake of 430 g with no apparent ill effects.[27] Like most sugar alcohols, it has a laxative effect because sugar alcohols are not fully broken down during digestion; albeit ten times weaker than sorbitol. The effect depends upon the individual. In one study of 13 children, 4 experienced diarrhea when consuming over 65 grams per day.[28] Studies have reported that adaptation occurs after several weeks of consumption.[28]
Dogs that have ingested foods containing high levels of xylitol (greater than 100 milligram of xylitol consumed per kilogram of bodyweight) have presented with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) which can be life-threatening.[29] Low blood sugar can result in a loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures in as soon as 30 minutes.[30][31] Intake of very high doses of xylitol (greater than 500 – 1000 mg/kg bwt) has also been implicated in liver failure in dogs, which can be fatal.[32] These are points of controversy, however, as earlier World Health Organization studies using much higher doses on dogs for long periods showed no ill effect.[33]

RaceBookJoe
01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I hear that all the time and actually wonder just WHAT is cleansed. "Get rid of those toxins" but then NO ONE is able to tell me the levels before and after these cleansings since not a one knows what is getting removed!

from Wikipedia
Xylitol has no known toxicity in humans. In one study, the participants consumed a diet containing a monthly average of 1.5 kg of xylitol with a maximum daily intake of 430 g with no apparent ill effects.[27] Like most sugar alcohols, it has a laxative effect because sugar alcohols are not fully broken down during digestion; albeit ten times weaker than sorbitol. The effect depends upon the individual. In one study of 13 children, 4 experienced diarrhea when consuming over 65 grams per day.[28] Studies have reported that adaptation occurs after several weeks of consumption.[28]
Dogs that have ingested foods containing high levels of xylitol (greater than 100 milligram of xylitol consumed per kilogram of bodyweight) have presented with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) which can be life-threatening.[29] Low blood sugar can result in a loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures in as soon as 30 minutes.[30][31] Intake of very high doses of xylitol (greater than 500 – 1000 mg/kg bwt) has also been implicated in liver failure in dogs, which can be fatal.[32] These are points of controversy, however, as earlier World Health Organization studies using much higher doses on dogs for long periods showed no ill effect.[33]

I cant tell you scientifically what happened in my case, other than what i read about the products i used. I plan to do another full body cleanse sometime this year...it will be a 21-day cleanse. I know the liver cleanse included milk thistle but cant remember everything. I did a colon cleanse, liver cleanse, lung cleanse, candida cleanse ( great results ). The only other cleanse i am planning on doing is a heavy-metal cleanse ( but i will still listen to Black Sabbath haha ).
I eat 95% organic, not too much dairy, only red meat i eat is grass-fed with no hormones added. I do use a good handful of supplements and vitamins : vitamin d3 , brewers yeast, acerola, cinnamon, and just started slowly adding b17...along with the normal multi-vitamins.
When i started my cleanses and eating organic ( also stopped using chemicals in the house, and only clean body products ith no aluminums,sls etc..shampoos, toothpaste without flouride) it was 2006 and i weighed 209 pounds ). Right now i hover between 158-160 pounds. This for the most part was done on a 3000 calorie eating regiman and no heavy cardio...easy walking, rebounding and then for the past year i have been doing Bikram Yoga.
Who knows, maybe if i keep doing this I will actually see UFO's, the alien moon base on the dark side, chemtrails will make sense...and the most perplexing thing...i will figure out how to handicap synthetic tracks haha. rbj

46zilzal
01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
you need Ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid to chelate heavy metals

RaceBookJoe
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
you need Ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid to chelate heavy metals

Thanks...i will make sure that the cleanse i get includes that.

bigmack
01-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey Zilly, I get sore after working out or playing tennis, someone recommended Collagen + C supplements?

chickenhead
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
only "cleanse" I ever tried was a disaster. Said start with 2 pills a day and increase the rate until you are having two movements a day. I took one pill and spent the next 12 hrs sandblasting the toilet. I didn't know what to make of that, but I threw those devil pills away.

melman
01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Bigmack---You may enjoy reading this article about Phils manager Charlie Manuel. He has dropped 58 lbs since the end of the WS.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100127_Phillies__Manuel_melts_away_the_pounds.ht ml