PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown's Babies Photo

OntheRail
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
:) She's Something.. Very Leggy but aren't they all at that age... ;) .

http://www.threechimneys.com/BigBrown/images/firstfoal01.jpg

http://www.threechimneys.com/BigBrown/images/firstfoal02.jpg

http://www.threechimneys.com/BigBrown/images/firstfoal03.jpg

From Three Chimneys BB page.

Curlin's Sweetie
http://gallery.bloodhorse.com/SlideShow/default.aspx?gallery=CurlinFirstFoal&photo=4

joanied
01-25-2010, 02:42 PM
OntheRail...Thanks for posting the BB baby...I swear, you just fall in love with the babies...and yeah...they are all legs for the first month...and it's such a fun thing to watch them figure out how to work those legs...

I hope Big Brown's foals do well at the track...especially in the foot dep't....but, as long as
their dam's have a history of sound feet in their lines, chances are good that the Big Brown's won't have his foot problems...and we can only assume that the mare owners will consider this when choosing a mate for Big Brown.

Oh...this little filly doesn't have the bone you can see with Curlin's first foal...but she is a cutie!!

If you happen upon a photo of Midnight Lute's first foal...please post it...I love that horse!

OntheRail
01-25-2010, 03:09 PM
joanied... it looks like she has dark hoofs all around. You know the old saying about hoof color so that's good. As for the apparent size difference when they are that young a week between photo's makes a big difference as they seem to double in size over night. We'll have to wait till they are at least a year or older to get a true comparison. But your right Curlin's look thriftier between the two photos... but like I said a week will make a big change. But yep they are so cute. And if I come upon a Midnight Lute's foal I'll be sure to post them.

joanied
01-25-2010, 03:30 PM
joanied... it looks like she has dark hoofs all around. You know the old saying about hoof color so that's good. As for the apparent size difference when they are that young a week between photo's makes a big difference as they seem to double in size over night. We'll have to wait till they are at least a year or older to get a true comparison. But your right Curlin's look thriftier between the two photos... but like I said a week will make a big change. But yep they are so cute. And if I come upon a Midnight Lute's foal I'll be sure to post them.

Hmmm...her left hind looks white...but hard to really see. I know that old saying...but it has been proven that white hooves are just as hard as dark ones...and there have been many good ones with white feet...so, I'll toss that out:) ...althought, I do prefer to see dark feet.

They do grow over night...I used to raise babies from my TB mares...they all had QH sires...and I always told them to quit growing so fast:D ..even from day one to day three...big difference.

I always waited until my foals were about 3 months old...IMO, that is when you can really see what you have...I'd get many phone calls and emails as soon as a foal of mine was born (good bloodlines attract the buyers:) ) and these folks would ask me...what do I think about this particular foal...I always told them the truth...that it's wise to wait until they are around 3 months old...then you can see the balance and conformation, the bone and how well the feet are developing.

I miss having foals on the ground so much...I retired the mares a few years ago....and I have babies all over the place...from Oregon to Alabama to Florida and Canada...all purchsed via my web site and shipped to their new homes as weanlings...jeeze, I miss it. Cried everytime one was loaded and hauled to his/her new home.

only11
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Joanie,
Excuse my ignorance on the subject...if the new babies run all day on the turf why wouldnt they run well on the turf...Most of the time there running around on the grass...

joanied
01-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Joanie,
Excuse my ignorance on the subject...if the new babies run all day on the turf why wouldnt they run well on the turf...Most of the time there running around on the grass...

Good question, only11...something I have never really pondered. But, I would guess that it all comes together when they are mature horses and devlope their own likes and dislikes...the babies have no choice about what they have under foot...but once they grow up, like most animals, including human animals, they do develope likes and dislikes...IMO, it isn't so much that a horse prefers one surface over another, it's more about a horse running better over one surface than another, which doesn't necessarily mean that horse likes the feel of the surface, just runs better on it...I don't really think a horse actually says to himself, I like the feel of grass better than dirt...IMO, they could care less...but actually do perform better on one surface than the other...bloodlines play a part in that, but, IMO, only a small part because you'll have some horses 'bred' for the grass that turn out running better on dirt..and visa-versa...thier feet play a part also...some feet are suited better for grass...large feet with a flatter bottom (can't explain that any better)...makes ya wonder why we put them on dirt in the first place...but if you took 100 dirt horses and ran each one on grass, I would bet at least half those would run as well or better on turf.

Have I totally confused you:D

only11
01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Good question, only11...something I have never really pondered. But, I would guess that it all comes together when they are mature horses and devlope their own likes and dislikes...the babies have no choice about what they have under foot...but once they grow up, like most animals, including human animals, they do develope likes and dislikes...IMO, it isn't so much that a horse prefers one surface over another, it's more about a horse running better over one surface than another, which doesn't necessarily mean that horse likes the feel of the surface, just runs better on it...I don't really think a horse actually says to himself, I like the feel of grass better than dirt...IMO, they could care less...but actually do perform better on one surface than the other...bloodlines play a part in that, but, IMO, only a small part because you'll have some horses 'bred' for the grass that turn out running better on dirt..and visa-versa...thier feet play a part also...some feet are suited better for grass...large feet with a flatter bottom (can't explain that any better)...makes ya wonder why we put them on dirt in the first place...but if you took 100 dirt horses and ran each one on grass, I would bet at least half those would run as well or better on turf.

Have I totally confused you:D
Thanks for the input,i would like your opinion on my theory...the reason i think horses run well on different (off track) is because they hate the surface...think about it, horses who run faster on the off track may be running faster just to get away from the slop or mud...example..if you left the track and it started raining you would start running or walking faster towards your car...for horses who love the off track(mud,slop..etc)..they wont run as fast because they love playing in it...HAVE I CONFUSED YOU?

Pell Mell
01-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Who is the mare? The reason I'm asking is that I posted somewhere about a year ago that I thought BB had a good chance to sire a derby winner if not a TC winner. :cool:

Quagmire
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Who is the mare? The reason I'm asking is that I posted somewhere about a year ago that I thought BB had a good chance to sire a derby winner if not a TC winner. :cool:

The mare is the unraced Impressive Attire.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54988/big-brown-represented-by-first-foal

joanied
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the input,i would like your opinion on my theory...the reason i think horses run well on different (off track) is because they hate the surface...think about it, horses who run faster on the off track may be running faster just to get away from the slop or mud...example..if you left the track and it started raining you would start running or walking faster towards your car...for horses who love the off track(mud,slop..etc)..they wont run as fast because they love playing in it...HAVE I CONFUSED YOU?

yep...:D :confused: :D

by the way...I have seen horses in a pasture, my own included, that will go out of their way to play in a water/mud hole...they'll paw at the muddy water and get covered in wet mud...and enjoy every minute of it :jump: