PDA

View Full Version : Do trainers know ?

only11
01-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Mott having a terrible meet @ gulfstream..but a good meet @ fairgrounds...Pletcher having a good meet @ gulfstream .. cant find his horses @ Santa Anita..
Trainers run there horses @ different tracks..do trainers have a idea on how good there horses are going to run before a meet start..
Biancone having a good meet @ gulfstream...everywhere else hes horses are below average...
I often see where trainers are having a great meet,but there horses everywhere else cant find the winners circle.

lamboguy
01-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Mott having a terrible meet @ gulfstream..but a good meet @ fairgrounds...Pletcher having a good meet @ gulfstream .. cant find his horses @ Santa Anita..
Trainers run there horses @ different tracks..do trainers have a idea on how good there horses are going to run before a meet start..
Biancone having a good meet @ gulfstream...everywhere else hes horses are below average...
I often see where trainers are having a great meet,but there horses everywhere else cant find the winners circle.ithink that we are going to find that trainers are only humans, having good days and bad days, making great decisions and sub par ones just like handicappers.

ranchwest
01-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Trainers can only be at one place at one time. They have assistants. Some of those assistants are better than others. The "trainer" is the trainer of record, but some of the day-to-day work is being accomplished through assistants.

Also, trainers place their horses based on many factors, including the condition book.

jotb
01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I often see where trainers are having a great meet,but there horses everywhere else cant find the winners circle.

I don't think Biancone is having alot of success anywhere..How many wins at GP does he have? Two out of seven races..Pletcher is doing well in GP but he's doing exceptionally well at Aqu..At SA he's run in only 8 races..Mott is doing well at the FG but not good at GP..He's won 6 of 26 but 3 of those wins came in Stk races. From the 34 starts at GP 20 of those were Maiden races..From the 26 starts at the FG 18 of them were in Maiden races.. He's won 3 maiden races at the FG..Could be Mott sent his better string to the FG..

Citation1947
01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
ithink that we are going to find that trainers are only humans.

But some are also sub-human. I also find that there are a whole lot of "trainers" out there, but very few horseman.

Nearly anyone can get a trainers license these day and call themselves a "trainer", but very few actually know what they are doing. Therefore, in order for them to be competitive, they are willing to resort to doing what many of these guys do, for example, the current and former Gill trainers. Or the Biancones or any of these other guys with long/bad rap sheets.

Real horseman would not sink to this level of abuse to the horse. Or the "whatever it takes" attitude. But clueless "trainers" would.

Overlay
01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
But some are also sub-human. I also find that there are a whole lot of "trainers" out there, but very few horseman.

Nearly anyone can get a trainers license these day and call themselves a "trainer", but very few actually know what they are doing.

That's why I've never given much credence to handicapping advice predicated on "hidden conditioning", or tote patterns that supposedly reveal inside betting by stables (apart from the collusion that it would involve to assure that any particular horse wins).

joanied
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think Biancone is having alot of success anywhere..How many wins at GP does he have? Two out of seven races..Pletcher is doing well in GP but he's doing exceptionally well at Aqu..At SA he's run in only 8 races..Mott is doing well at the FG but not good at GP..He's won 6 of 26 but 3 of those wins came in Stk races. From the 34 starts at GP 20 of those were Maiden races..From the 26 starts at the FG 18 of them were in Maiden races.. He's won 3 maiden races at the FG..Could be Mott sent his better string to the FG..

That's what happens when they take away your cobra venom:bang:

Greyfox
01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think Biancone is having alot of success anywhere..How many wins at GP does he have? Two out of seven races....

Two wins in 7 races.
That's not many races but its a 28 % win record. That's pretty good for any trainer.

Citation1947
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
That's what happens when they take away your cobra venom:bang:
:lol:

bisket
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
That's why I've never given much credence to handicapping advice predicated on "hidden conditioning", or tote patterns that supposedly reveal inside betting by stables (apart from the collusion that it would involve to assure that any particular horse wins).
yes this is true, but taking into consideration that trainers typically try to darken form is sound handicapping. although lots of times trainers are forced to run claimers instead of working them to keep barn space at the track. its a fact of life, and to win you have to takes this into account. although i don't think its done to trick bettors. its just the way some horsemman are forced to act to make a living. using distance as an indication of when a horse has a shot at winning or is running to fill a race and get some excercise is the best way analyze the situation.

46zilzal
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Horses run, trainers watch...The two, so very often are mutally exclusive to one another.

delayjf
01-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Some trainers target a specific meet for running their stock. They may use the previous meet to train up to the intended track.

raybo
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM

Nearly anyone can get a trainers license these day and call themselves a "trainer", but very few actually know what they are doing. Therefore, in order for them to be competitive, they are willing to resort to doing what many of these guys do, for example, the current and former Gill trainers. Or the Biancones or any of these other guys with long/bad rap sheets.

Real horseman would not sink to this level of abuse to the horse. Or the "whatever it takes" attitude. But clueless "trainers" would.

If you do "form cycle" analysis, by studying pacelines, you'll be able to tell if the trainer/assistant knows what he's/she's doing or not, and if he/she does know what they're doing, then you'll know if he did enough to get the horse ready for today's race.

Often, today's race is part of getting the horse ready for another day, but, not today.