PDA

View Full Version : Wall Street Wonder

I Love NYRA
01-24-2010, 07:28 AM
That was another impressive performance yesterday. Looked like he has a lot left in the tank too.

Whats next? Is this horse Carter Bound? Probably one more race in February then rest up and try the Grade 1?

Robert Goren
01-24-2010, 10:20 AM
A front runner on the inside running on a track that favored inside speed.

NTamm1215
01-24-2010, 10:37 AM
A front runner on the inside running on a track that favored inside speed.

Did you watch his race prior to yesterday when he toyed with a pretty good horse while not racing on the rail?

I don't necessarily think you can dismiss his effort yesterday because of the conditions, he's really turned the corner since returning off the break for Terranova.

NT

the little guy
01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Right, but he probably shouldn't be wildly overrated either. It's very hard to fairly evaluate a horse like this based on yesterday's race because of the bias.

He got a 109 Beyer.

Robert Goren
01-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Did you watch his race prior to yesterday when he toyed with a pretty good horse while not racing on the rail?

I don't necessarily think you can dismiss his effort yesterday because of the conditions, he's really turned the corner since returning off the break for Terranova.

NT I did watch it, but I am not sure you did. He took the early lead, rode the rail, and was pressed from the outside by the favored :3: (which I foolishly bet). He drew away big time in the stretch. He might be a good one, but it is going take more than what I saw yesterday for me to believe that he is a contender in a grade 1.

I Love NYRA
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Grade 1's arent what they use to be, lets face it. The sprint division is as watered down as ever. Who exactly would this horse have to beat in the Carter? Kodiak Kowboy is gone. Fabulous Strike supposedly isnt running until the Derby undercard. Vineyard Haven is a nice horse but hes no automatic.

The fact is the beyer he earned is very legit and its the 2nd race in a row hes won under a hand ride looking like he has so much more left. A 109 makes him competitive in any grade 1 race.

the little guy
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
The fact is the beyer he earned is very legit.

The number, in and of itself, is accurate...but the manner in which it was earned, riding a gold rail, makes it a number he is highly unlikely to repeat. Now, being that a 109 would pretty much have swept the Grade 1 sprints last year, he may not need to specifically run back to it, but I don't think it's fair to question whether or not he can even come close to it on an even racetrack.

And, I say this as a fan of the horse. I just don't think getting carried away by yesterday's performance is a great idea.