PDA

View Full Version : What would it cost to buy Ron The Greek (Lecomte Winner)

Moyers Pond
01-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Anyone here in the bloodstock business? Just curious what anyone thinks it would take to purchase today's Lecomte winner in a private purchase.

He is a FL Bred by Full Mandate out of a Fortunate Prospect mare.

The time was not particularly fast, only slightly faster than the fillies, but this horse may be quite valuable because he is a FL bred and the would be eligible for the Sunshine Millions.

I honestly think he is a real threat to win the Derby, but he has the look of a horse that could make a ton of money if he goes after all those WV and PA derby type races.

andymays
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Do you like every horse that wins a prep race?

Were you born in a Cabbage Patch or Raised on Puppy Chow? No disrespect intended. ;)

toussaud
01-23-2010, 08:20 PM
subway sammich, the meatball sub one.. with extra cheese.
Doritos
and a six pack of Smirnoff ice, the new lemonade flavor

tucker6
01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Were you born in a Cabbage Patch or Raised on Puppy Chow? No disrespect intended.
I literally laughed out loud. :lol:

Steve R
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Anyone here in the bloodstock business? Just curious what anyone thinks it would take to purchase today's Lecomte winner in a private purchase.

He is a FL Bred by Full Mandate out of a Fortunate Prospect mare.

The time was not particularly fast, only slightly faster than the fillies, but this horse may be quite valuable because he is a FL bred and the would be eligible for the Sunshine Millions.

I honestly think he is a real threat to win the Derby, but he has the look of a horse that could make a ton of money if he goes after all those WV and PA derby type races.
His dam is a full sister to the dam of Musket Man, but that's about it as far as pedigree is concerned so he wouldn't have much value added as a stallion prospect. His sire, Full Mandate by A.P. Indy, wasn't much on the track and isn't much as a sire, standing in Florida for $2500, so that doesn't help either. I think it all comes down to how much you think he could earn on the track, and at this stage it's pretty much up in the air. I'm sure there are some folks out there with money to burn who like his off-the-pace style in the context of the Derby, but realistically I think the upside is modest. He is 3 for 4 with a stakes win, so maybe he's another Musket Man in terms of potential. You might ask what Musket Man is worth and then assume Ron the Greek probably won't be as valuable.

Stillriledup
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I wasn't following FG today, but happened to look up and saw this stretch run. This looks like a powerful horse with a nice stride......i didn't know anything about him, but when i saw him win and looked at his stride, i was like "who's that"

Problem with buying a horse like that is that you have to find a way to buy him BEFORE he does what he did today, you can get him for much less if you sniff out his talent before the whole world knows.

onefast99
01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Right around $200k and there will be offers.

Quackfan
01-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Were you born in a Cabbage Patch or Raised on Puppy Chow? No disrespect intended. ;)

I'm sorry but I missed the joke. But this is from a new poster who probably doesn't know a whole heck of a lot about this forum.

Stillriledup
01-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Right around $200k and there will be offers.

There will be plenty of offers for 200k, if that is indeed the price.

toussaud
01-23-2010, 09:44 PM
more than 200k, he can get that just by making it to the louisiana derby.

i'd say between 400-600k

Moyers Pond
01-23-2010, 10:00 PM
more than 200k, he can get that just by making it to the louisiana derby.

i'd say between 400-600k

Yeah, that is what I thought. Around $500K. Our group (22 people) are going to make an offer but nothing near that. Maybe we will get lucky. He is the only 3yr old FL bred that looks like he could be a good one and that can be bought at a reasonable price.

Moyers Pond
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Just the ones that can be bought at a reasonable price and are based in FL or are FL breds.

Fantasy Lane got UptownCharlyBrown for about $60K last year for their partnership, but the asking price is rumored to be very high.

This one looks like he can be bought, but a late closing second would probably have been much better for our partnership, than a win. I have a feeling Greek is going to be sold for somewhere in the $500K range.

toussaud
01-23-2010, 10:31 PM
truth be told... i would not be interested in a derby "contender" that they were willing to give away for 200k.

you are basically buying a ticket to the derby experience with this horse. he has 60k in graded stakes earnings. if he hits the board in the risen star/la derby he should get in without much trouble.

NTamm1215
01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
A horse with a totally non-descript pedigree who received an unbelievable pace setup en route to a win from a barn that wins at a huge percentage for 500k?

Ron the Greek benefited tremendously from the race flow today and I'd consider him somewhat unlikely to run back to today's race unless he is met with a similar setup. A Derby prospect? Not in my opinion.

NT

toussaud
01-23-2010, 10:49 PM
A horse with a totally non-descript pedigree who received an unbelievable pace setup en route to a win from a barn that wins at a huge percentage for 500k?

Ron the Greek benefited tremendously from the race flow today and I'd consider him somewhat unlikely to run back to today's race unless he is met with a similar setup. A Derby prospect? Not in my opinion.

NT

take the derby out of the picture, IMHO he's a nice 3YO that has talent that looks pretty sound. He didn't look bad in the post parade. that alone is worth more than 200K IMHO considering what some of this crap at keeneland sales for.

bisket
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
a come from behinder from loosyanna. where have i heard that before? theres one every year headed to the derby from that track. when did one finish in the money? louie roussel i think? save your doe and get a grandstand ticket for 30 bucks.

WinterTriangle
01-24-2010, 02:00 AM
comparing him to Musket Man, MM is a very sound horse, outruns his pedigree consistently, etc.

Can't say what Ron is until he shows more. Larry Zap had a "tweet" on him from watching workouts.

ManeMediaMogul
01-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Usually, at this time of year, colts like him go for low seven figures. There is always some rich guy that is willing to blow a million on a "Derby contender."
If he wins another legit prep it will go up to $2-5 million. Crazy money for sure, but we're not selling horses here, we're selling dreams.

illinoisbred
01-24-2010, 07:28 AM
The trainer is one of, if not the sharpest trainer in the midwest. If he feels the horse gained something from this race and still has more forward move to come, I'd think 8-900,000, nothing less.

ExoticDancer
01-24-2010, 09:00 AM
:lol:

Great stuff. I think he can win the Derby? If you are picking the Derby winner from that crowd your in trouble.

ZephyrHawk
01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Disrespect that horse's pedigree if you want, but he made a good move and he did it with ease. That's the ticket for me. I thought he had the most impressive performance of any of the early preps I've seen so far, not that that's saying much.

illinoisbred
01-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Disrespect that horse's pedigree if you want, but he made a good move and he did it with ease. That's the ticket for me. I thought he had the most impressive performance of any of the early preps I've seen so far, not that that's saying much.
I have to say I agree with you.

PhantomOnTour
01-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Ron The Greek may turn out to be a nice horse/graded winner, but he had the IDEAL set up yesterday. You dont get :46 and change 1/2m at FG everyday. Anyone following that track knows a :46 plus half mile is a suicidal pace. My thoughts were that Assman would use the 4 Depaul to push the pace so his 8 Letsgetitonmon could benefit. Thats what happened--but the 8 could only get up for 3rd. I played all closers in that race.
The 1 Max Ruler ran the good race. Put away all pace runners and grimly held off the 8 for 2nd place.
The Derby though? I doubt it. Deep closers like him who dont even enter your screen until the last 16th are trip and pace dependent. If they want a clean trip from the back of the Derby field they had better book Calvin soon.
Like bisket said about deep closers from FG...Dollar Bill, Pyro, Mighty etc...

Hate to sound pessimistic, but I wasnt impressed by anyone in the Lecomte or Holy Bull, other than Maximus Ruler. A one turn mile at GP doesnt tell me much as far as the Derby is concerned. Everyone in the Holy Bull looked totally gassed in the last 1/8 except maybe for the Kitten horse. Dont think the Derby winner ran in one of those races yesterday.

Robert Fischer
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
he made that same move just about all his races. He was the clear standout in the Lecomte. His Remington 4th was arguably even more impressive. He looks better than the other horses in the Lecomte in the post parade as well. He had a good setup, but he dominated the others as well. However "freaky"-closers at a mile don't mean shit in terms of the derby. He'll have to develop into a real horse, and closing sprinters and milers don't always stretch out. Certainly interesting.

PhantomOnTour
01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
he made that same move just about all his races. He was the clear standout in the Lecomte. His Remington 4th was arguably even more impressive. He looks better than the other horses in the Lecomte in the post parade as well. He had a good setup, but he dominated the others as well. However "freaky"-closers at a mile don't mean shit in terms of the derby. He'll have to develop into a real horse, and closing sprinters and milers don't always stretch out. Certainly interesting.
By the way, nice choice with him yesterday. We chatted on another thread and I liked the 8. Used your pick but missed the tri. Shame on me--that was a pretty easy $700+ payoff. Race unfolded (unfolded-who am i? brent musberger?) just the way I thought but I couldnt cash. Good job.

Moyers Pond
01-24-2010, 11:57 AM
:lol:

Great stuff. I think he can win the Derby? If you are picking the Derby winner from that crowd your in trouble.

This horse right now has a much better chance of winning the derby than MTB did at this time last year. This horse can easily win the derby if he gets a Songandaprayer type pace in there.

There is nothing to make me believe this horse is not another Monarchos type. With the right pace, this horse is talented enough to win any 3yr old race.

Is he my Derby pick? Not yet, but his performance so far is better than anything we have seen this year. A 90 beyer from a horse that will have no problem going 10f. This horse just needs to keep improving and he has as good of a shot as any horse we have seen so far.

Robert Goren
01-24-2010, 12:16 PM
No offense meant, but this is place where several fools are going to meet and some of them are going get off lucky.

toussaud
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
This horse right now has a much better chance of winning the derby than MTB did at this time last year. This horse can easily win the derby if he gets a Songandaprayer type pace in there.

There is nothing to make me believe this horse is not another Monarchos type. With the right pace, this horse is talented enough to win any 3yr old race.

Is he my Derby pick? Not yet, but his performance so far is better than anything we have seen this year. A 90 beyer from a horse that will have no problem going 10f. This horse just needs to keep improving and he has as good of a shot as any horse we have seen so far.
i can't say i see anything wrong with this viewpoint.

if he is a legit derby contender i think we are in for a long year.. but fact is.. it really was one of the best performances so far.

onefast99
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Usually, at this time of year, colts like him go for low seven figures. There is always some rich guy that is willing to blow a million on a "Derby contender."
If he wins another legit prep it will go up to $2-5 million. Crazy money for sure, but we're not selling horses here, we're selling dreams.
There certainly are a few owners who would love to buy a ticket to the KD, I just don't think this one will be there.

bushwick
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
The horse to buy is maximus ruler. I was more impressed by his second than I was the by the horse that won. He might not win the KY derby but I could see him winning a derby somewhere. A horse like this could maybe be bought for 600k or 700k. As I see the trainers wife owns half.

Moyers Pond
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
The horse to buy is maximus ruler. I was more impressed by his second than I was the by the horse that won. He might not win the KY derby but I could see him winning a derby somewhere. A horse like this could maybe be bought for 600k or 700k. As I see the trainers wife owns half.

I like that horse, but I don't think he can run 10f. He could win a nice 9f race somewhere though.

The winner will run 10f. The longer the better for him.