PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn Changes

rrbauer
01-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Yesterday at (Friday Jan 22) at Oaklawn, as the horses were preparing to come on the track for Race 5, it was announced that #4 Divine Wish was wearing a right-front bar shoe. Nothing was mentioned in the changes announced earlier before the first race. Of course, I had used the horse in P3's starting in the previous race; and, of course, I was annoyed to learn of the situation after I was "stuck" in those bets.

Today, I emailed the guy in charge of racing there to say my piece. His response:

Mr. Bauer:

Thank you for the email. I’ve had a discussion with the stewards. They reported that what happened yesterday was an isolated case. The trainer failed to indicate the right-front bar shoe on his entry form.

They have called the trainer in for a meeting to discuss the situation.

David Longinotti

Asst. General Manager/Racing
Oaklawn Jockey Club

Knowing that the trainer is being "called in" for a meeting really makes me warm and fuzzy! How about refunding my bets?

ManeMediaMogul
01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Very few tracks have horse shoe inspectors who go barn to barn and check how a horse is shod prior to the scratches and changes being posted. (California has one.) At most racing venues, the horse shoe inspector checks the horses' shoes at the receiving barn or in the paddock just prior to the race and the information is posted on a "shoe board" or announced or both.

Although I am not intimately familiar with the rules in Arkansas, I have never heard of declaring a bar shoe on an entry form.

I think this is one of those situations where the player who makes serial bets is screwed -just like getting the favorite if your selection is scratched.

The way to "manage the unavoidable" is to not make serial bets...but who wants to give up the bonus payouts? Just consider it part of the cost of doing business.

Zman179
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Knowing that the trainer is being "called in" for a meeting really makes me warm and fuzzy! How about refunding my bets?

Would you have taken just a refund if the horse won?

cj
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Another attempting a weak defense when a bettor gets the shaft. The outcome isn't really relevant.

johnhannibalsmith
01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
...reminds me of an amusing steward/shoe story...

A few or so years ago I was entering a neat old horse at the local track (not of the national prominence of Oaklawn). I'm not big on heavy-duty protection on feet, but I had elected to try an aluminum pad (actually, an intricate combination of spider pads) on this bad footed sucker.

I had moved from New York and hadn't encountered the issue here yet, so I tried to enter with the aluminum pad. I got a cross-eyed look from the entry clerk, so I sauntered down to the steward's office.

"Do I enter with this aluminum pad on or what?"

(long pause)

"Who's your farrier?"

"What difference does that make?"

"Why does he need an aluminum pad?"

"He's got a bad foot - why else would I use one?"

"Did you enter with it?"

"I tried; I'm asking you if I need to."

"Well, you've asked - what do you want me to do?"

"Ummm... answer yes or no, I suppose."

"Do you know the rules?"

"I'm not sure that anyone around here does."

Needless to say, we went around and around for ten minutes while she circumvented admitting that she had no idea what the answer was. I had the clerk mark the card, "one aluminum pad on" and never heard another mention of it at any point.

I've never believed a shoe board since.

Zman179
01-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Another attempting a weak defense when a bettor gets the shaft. The outcome isn't really relevant.

Listen, sh*t happens. Just like if you bet against the #4 because you thought he was a vulnerable favorite and found out later about the bar shoe change, then chances are the prices on the horses you chose to go against the #4 are better than they would have been if the change was announced earlier; you're certainly not going to give up the increased payoff. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes against you. You lick your wounds, attack the next race, and hopefully the powers that be will make sure that a similar announcement is made earlier for pick x players.

I've yet to see someone get the shaft after winning. Kind of like going to Gamblers' Anonymous for help after hitting a Pick 6.

Tom
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Listen, sh*t happens.

But this not Sh*t...this is their frigging JOB to provide us with all the relevant information. And they blatantly screwed up and did nothing. That is unacceptable.

njcurveball
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Mr. Bauer:

Thank you for the email. I’ve had a discussion with the stewards. They reported that what happened yesterday was an isolated case. The trainer failed to indicate the right-front bar shoe on his entry form.

They have called the trainer in for a meeting to discuss the situation.

David Longinotti

Asst. General Manager/Racing
Oaklawn Jockey Club

Management never lacks ignorance in this game. If the trainer fails to indicate a bar shoe and it is caught in the paddock, as it should be, then the horse is scratched. Then next time, they make a point to report it.

If the horse actually makes it to the gate and runs, then the trainer needs to be suspended 10 days for the first offense and the finish of the horse must stand, no matter win or lose.

Of course, if the horse does make it to the gate, the people involved should be called in and either warned or suspended.

Without the mutuel handle, there is no racing, but accidents do happen. This is far from an accident as someone paid to put on the bar shoe, someone did it, and then the horse was in the paddock for all to see. If the track does not employ people who cannot recognize a bar shoe, then perhaps they need to look at their hiring practices. :ThmbDown:

Zman179
01-25-2010, 07:44 AM
But this not Sh*t...this is their frigging JOB to provide us with all the relevant information. And they blatantly screwed up and did nothing. That is unacceptable.

They, in this case, is the trainer who failed to list the change on the form. He should definitely be disciplined in this case.

rrbauer
01-25-2010, 08:30 AM

I wouldn't have made the bets had I known. Basically, the horse was undertrained over the past few weeks (comparing its works to works before and immediately following its most previous race) and I noticed that, but figured that the trainer (Calhoun) knew what he was doing. And to rub salt in the wounds I learn that it should've been reported as part of the entering process but wasn't. I hardly ever play that track but was waiting on the horse to run back after its last Hawthorne race. Bottom line is that it's not the first time (won't be the last) that I've lost money on a bet that I shouldn't have made but the circumstances are annoying.

As to other tracks reporting special shoes, NYRA reports bar shoes routinely, I think as part of their early change info (TLG?). Most tracks do not report them; but, if they're going to report them it should be at a time when players can assimilate and benefit from the information.