PDA

View Full Version : NJAW Signals Restored

Norm
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
It has been reported by NJAW that the following signals will be restored Saturday (1/23/10)

Laurel (12:35 pm)
Fair Grounds (1:10)
Gulfstream (1:15)
Oaklawn (2:05)
Santa Anita (3:30)
Golden Gate (3:45)

I hope it's true. Since the NJ legislature "owns" our right to bet on horses, this is all we have in the Garden State.

lsosa54
01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm still ticked that we were put through this at all but it looks like you are correct. From the "News" section of 4NJBets:

Mid-Atlantic and TrackNet Reach Agreement! Posted On : 2010-01-22

The Mid-Atlantic Cooperative has reached a simulcast agreement with TrackNet for their content.

Gulfstream, Santa Anita, Fair Grounds, Oaklawn, Laurel and Golden Gate have all been added to our simulcast schedule starting tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 23rd)

We thank you for your patience in this matter.

Tuffmug
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeh! Was getting tired of betting on the winter crap at AqueSUCKS!

Stillriledup
01-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Can the state of NJ actually tell a horseplayer that they have to bet with them or not bet at all? Can a company do that to residents of their state? Can they tell you that you're not allowed to use a company from another state? Is this legal?

startngate
01-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Can the state of NJ actually tell a horseplayer that they have to bet with them or not bet at all? Can a company do that to residents of their state? Can they tell you that you're not allowed to use a company from another state? Is this legal?Currently, it's the State Law in NJ. Whether or not it would hold up in court if challenged is another matter. Interstate commerce lawyers would probably have fun with the case if anyone brought one.

FenceBored
01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Currently, it's the State Law in NJ. Whether or not it would hold up in court if challenged is another matter. Interstate commerce lawyers would probably have fun with the case if anyone brought one.

I hear they're thinking of passing a law which says that NJ residents can't buy books from Amazon.com, but have to use NJ4books.com. And then you won't be able to buy the newest bestseller from James Patterson through NJ4books.com because New Jersey is part of a book buying coop that can't come to terms with Little, Brown and Co.

Stillriledup
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I hear they're thinking of passing a law which says that NJ residents can't buy books from Amazon.com, but have to use NJ4books.com. And then you won't be able to buy the newest bestseller from James Patterson through NJ4books.com because New Jersey is part of a book buying coop that can't come to terms with Little, Brown and Co.

Exactly. Great analogy. Someone has to challenge NJ on this stuff.

Rutgers
01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Can the state of NJ actually tell a horseplayer that they have to bet with them or not bet at all? Can a company do that to residents of their state? Can they tell you that you're not allowed to use a company from another state? Is this legal?

Here is the state statute:

5:5-142 Requirements for account wagering.

16. a. A person shall not place an account wager from within this State except in accordance with this act through the account wagering licensee, and no entity, other than the account wagering licensee, shall accept an account wager from a person within this State.

"Account wagering licensee" means 4NJBets as defined in NJ Statute 5:5-128.

So the State of New Jersey by statute requires anybody in NJ wishing to wager by ADW to use 4NJBets. So that means if you are visiting NJ from out of state and you want to wager using your HorsePlayersBet.com account(as an example), it would be against NJ law. It is also against the law for any ADW other than 4NJBets to take a wager from anyone who is in the State of NJ, regardless of the state they live in. (Now, of course, actual enforcement of the law is probably rather difficult, but it is the law) But because the non-4NJBets accounts could only be used when the person is outside the state of NJ, most ADW companies do not offer accounts to NJ residents. (As was discussed in another thread, NYRA and some of the NY OTBs do offer residents of NJ accounts as long as they are used only when outside of NJ, but they are more the exception than the rule)

However, if a resident of NJ leaves the State he or she can not use their 4NJBets account while outside the State of NJ. (Last August I was at Saratoga and met up with a friend from NJ. He was blocked from using his phone account with 4NJbets by 4NJBets.)

So technically it is not the ADW company(4NJBets) telling the residents of NJ they must use them but the state law. It should be noted however, that the State of New Jersey thru it’s agency the NJSEA is part owner of 4NJBets.

Since it’s the state law that says when in NJ you must you 4NJBets, it is legal. Of course, the next question becomes, is the statute legal? That question is probably outside the realm and scope on this forum.

Exactly. Great analogy. Someone has to challenge NJ on this stuff.

The problem is who do you challenge? In most cases, if you think you have been wronged by a track or ADW or something in horse racing is wrong or illegal, you can go to racing commission or the wagering board. In NJ, the racing commission is part of the Office of the Attorney General which is part of the State Government. So going to the state to make a complaint against the state is probably not going to result in any action or change. (As a side note, I did make a complaint against the NJSEA once, but no action was taken. My response was I haven‘t play a race in NJ since. Then)

You could write your state representative in Trenton. Of course, your state representative in Trenton is part of the body that passed the law in the first place. Plus, right now NJ like a lot of other states are having some serious cash flow problems, so I doubt anyone will be willing to give up the monopoly.

The third option would be a legal action declaring the law unconstitutional. Legal actions are time consuming and expensive.

Plus, the old adage “Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it” applies. What happens if the NJSS 5:5-142 16a is repealed., well for one thing there would be no account wagering in New Jersey until a new statue is written and passed allowing it.(since the statute that allows account wagering and gives the monopoly are in the same statute) And in NJ who knows how long that would take.

Stillriledup
01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Here is the state statute:

5:5-142 Requirements for account wagering.

16. a. A person shall not place an account wager from within this State except in accordance with this act through the account wagering licensee, and no entity, other than the account wagering licensee, shall accept an account wager from a person within this State.

"Account wagering licensee" means 4NJBets as defined in NJ Statute 5:5-128.

So the State of New Jersey by statute requires anybody in NJ wishing to wager by ADW to use 4NJBets. So that means if you are visiting NJ from out of state and you want to wager using your HorsePlayersBet.com account(as an example), it would be against NJ law. It is also against the law for any ADW other than 4NJBets to take a wager from anyone who is in the State of NJ, regardless of the state they live in. (Now, of course, actual enforcement of the law is probably rather difficult, but it is the law) But because the non-4NJBets accounts could only be used when the person is outside the state of NJ, most ADW companies do not offer accounts to NJ residents. (As was discussed in another thread, NYRA and some of the NY OTBs do offer residents of NJ accounts as long as they are used only when outside of NJ, but they are more the exception than the rule)

However, if a resident of NJ leaves the State he or she can not use their 4NJBets account while outside the State of NJ. (Last August I was at Saratoga and met up with a friend from NJ. He was blocked from using his phone account with 4NJbets by 4NJBets.)

So technically it is not the ADW company(4NJBets) telling the residents of NJ they must use them but the state law. It should be noted however, that the State of New Jersey thru it’s agency the NJSEA is part owner of 4NJBets.

Since it’s the state law that says when in NJ you must you 4NJBets, it is legal. Of course, the next question becomes, is the statute legal? That question is probably outside the realm and scope on this forum.

The problem is who do you challenge? In most cases, if you think you have been wronged by a track or ADW or something in horse racing is wrong or illegal, you can go to racing commission or the wagering board. In NJ, the racing commission is part of the Office of the Attorney General which is part of the State Government. So going to the state to make a complaint against the state is probably not going to result in any action or change. (As a side note, I did make a complaint against the NJSEA once, but no action was taken. My response was I haven‘t play a race in NJ since. Then)

You could write your state representative in Trenton. Of course, your state representative in Trenton is part of the body that passed the law in the first place. Plus, right now NJ like a lot of other states are having some serious cash flow problems, so I doubt anyone will be willing to give up the monopoly.

The third option would be a legal action declaring the law unconstitutional. Legal actions are time consuming and expensive.

Plus, the old adage “Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it” applies. What happens if the NJSS 5:5-142 16a is repealed., well for one thing there would be no account wagering in New Jersey until a new statue is written and passed allowing it.(since the statute that allows account wagering and gives the monopoly are in the same statute) And in NJ who knows how long that would take.

Great post. Thanks for the info.

If this is the case and NJ is concerned about cash flow problems, why not just pass a law that says NJ residents cant purchase any food, drinks, clothes, etc unless you purchase those things within the state of NJ? If a NJ resident purchases a television from Best Buy in Philly, they should not be allowed to bring the tv into the state or risk arrest for using an out of state company.

NJ residents are doing what they are told, they're just going along with big brother and not making a peep about it.

I guess the old saying 'the guys with the guns make the laws' rings loud and true in NJ.

whobet
01-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Who gave in TrackNet or MidAtlantic Coop

rrbauer
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Who gave in TrackNet or MidAtlantic Coop

The bettors gave in. All the "whoopees" and "yippies" about all the TrackNet tracks they can now bet; and, all the MAC simulcast sites that are taking their money can attest to that. Business as usual.