PDA

View Full Version : What's going on at Oaklawn ?

Norm
01-22-2010, 04:57 AM
We are 5 days into the Oaklawn meet and they are still running 6F in 1:13 / 1:14. In the 9th race 6F went in 1:16 1/5 ! What did they do, dump 10 inches of mulch on the track?? :confused:

rgustafson
01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Maybe they secretly put in a synthetic track and didn't tell anyone.:D

ranchwest
01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Maybe they secretly put in a synthetic track and didn't tell anyone.:D

Good one. We'll know for sure when it rains. :D

toussaud
01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
they aren't allowed to use some shit on the track the stuff that keeps the dirt from freezing over and right before oaklawn started we were at like 8 degrees for like a week. the track is still thawing out.

Cardus
01-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Good question.

Times have been glacial in Hot Springs.

cj
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
They are almost always very slow at the beginning of the meet, but this is even slower than usual.

Bruddah
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
they aren't allowed to use some shit on the track the stuff that keeps the dirt from freezing over and right before oaklawn started we were at like 8 degrees for like a week. the track is still thawing out.

You're correct, it's Oaklawn's policy not to use chemicals on the track. The cold weather also limited workouts just prior to the opening of the season. Drying out track, plus (+) horses not yet in top shape, plus (+) cheaper horses are usually carded early in the meet, plus a little xtra sand, equals (=) slower times.

I have seen this several times since 1965.

Norm
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by toussaud
they aren't allowed to use some shit on the track the stuff that keeps the dirt from freezing over and right before oaklawn started we were at like 8 degrees for like a week. the track is still thawing out. You're correct, it's Oaklawn's policy not to use chemicals on the track. The cold weather also limited workouts just prior to the opening of the season. Drying out track, plus (+) horses not yet in top shape, plus (+) cheaper horses are usually carded early in the meet, plus a little xtra sand, equals (=) slower times.

I have seen this several times since 1965.

Thanks for the "heads-up". Was it really 8 degrees in Hot Springs ?? It must be all that global warming. Oaklawn is the best early-speed dirt track in the country at this time of year. I was afraid they were pulling an "Aqueduct" down there. I guess things will get back to normal in a few days ... I hope.

toussaud
01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the "heads-up". Was it really 8 degrees in Hot Springs ?? It must be all that global warming. Oaklawn is the best early-speed dirt track in the country at this time of year. I was afraid they were pulling an "Aqueduct" down there. I guess things will get back to normal in a few days ... I hope.
might have been less than that. it was slap yo momma cold. just go up to her and just slap her for no reason cold.

dansan
01-22-2010, 07:27 PM
who cares how slow or fast they run as long as you got the winners :jump:

Pace Cap'n
01-22-2010, 08:18 PM
might have been less than that. it was slap yo momma cold. just go up to her and just slap her for no reason cold.

I heard it was so cold they had to go down in the basement to read the thermometer.

ranchwest
01-22-2010, 08:25 PM

The jet stream shifted and was pushing directly north to south, yielding record low temperatures over the mid-section of the US. It has warmed up now to normal temperatures in most areas.