PDA

View Full Version : Air America shuts down

schweitz
01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
http://bigjournalism.com/fross/2010/01/21/breaking-air-america-ceasing-live-programming-this-afternoon/

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
How symbolic.

bigmack
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
When Air America Radio launched in April, 2004 with already-known personalities like Al Franken and then-unknown future stars like Rachel Maddow, it was the only full-time progressive voice in the mainstream broadcast media world.
:lol:
They clearly haven't watched MSNBC.

ArlJim78
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
that's a shame. I imagine that their tens of listeners will be heartbroken.

swami13
01-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think I ever accidentally heard them for a second even while scanning for stations.
They will be sorely missed. :rolleyes:

price
01-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I listened for a bit and then got bored with it and never went back. TalkRadio is dull with the only exception being SportsTalk which is ok from time to time. (not to be confused with GuyTalk or FratTalk which is a total waste)

Snag
01-21-2010, 08:13 PM
When you don't have anything to say, people don't listen.

Tom
01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Massachussetts...Lights out at Air America......where have I heard that before?
g4C6zkA7vGo&feature=related

prospector
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
more unemployment!

GaryG
01-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Instead of naming the real reason, lack of interest in their content, they blame the economy. Well, Rush and others are doing passibly fair in the same economy. C'mon guys, call a spade a spade.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Massachussetts...Lights out at Air America......where have I heard that before?
g4C6zkA7vGo&feature=related

I will remember Massachussetts.... :)

Steve 'StatMan'
01-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Encore! Encore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nab4IlfaNrk&feature=channel

BlueShoe
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
:lol:
They clearly haven't watched MSNBC.
Am quite confident that most of the now unemployed AA persons will quickly find new jobs at MSNBC or the New York Times. Liberals helping liberals,etc.

mostpost
01-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Paraphrasing Sam Clemens; "Rumors of the death of progressive talk have been greatly exagerated"
Most of the major voices of Progressive Talk continue on the air. In Chicago today, I have already heard Bill Press, Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz and Thom Hartman. Randi Rhodes is still on satellite radio and many AM stations. Rachel Maddow has a successful show on MSNBC. (As does Ed Schultz) As yet Progressive Talk doesn't have the numbers of stations as Conservative talk, but the numbers are going.
And if you look, for example, at Rush and his 600 stations, you find that in many cases two, three and even four stations overlap and cover the same audience.

JustRalph
01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Encore! Encore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nab4IlfaNrk&feature=channel

Perfect Metaphor for the Dems! Classic

cj's dad
01-22-2010, 07:24 PM
progressive talk (read liberal) does not succeed because thetr is no substance tom their platform

what are they going to talk about ??? tax and spend ???

Yeah, that will get Americans lining up en masse

Snag
01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
As yet Progressive Talk doesn't have the numbers of stations as Conservative talk, but the numbers are going.
And if you look, for example, at Rush and his 600 stations, you find that in many cases two, three and even four stations overlap and cover the same audience.

most, care to back up your post? Assuming you left out the word "up" at the end of the sentence, I know that the numbers just went down by one. Come on, show us the numbers you refer to.

mostpost
01-22-2010, 10:50 PM
most, care to back up your post? Assuming you left out the word "up" at the end of the sentence, I know that the numbers just went down by one. Come on, show us the numbers you refer to.
Somebody stole my "UP" :mad: :mad: :mad:
Because Air America ceased operations, doesn't mean the number of progresive stations declined. Air America did not own any stations. (MAYBE one in NYC). So the stations that carried Air America Content can continue to carry other progressive talkers. Probably at more profit, as people like Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller have a larger following than the Air America on air talent.
As far as numbers of stations, I don't have numbers. But I listen a lot and hardly a week goes by that I don't hear at least one of the hosts welcoming a new affiliate.

boxcar
01-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Because Air America ceased operations, doesn't mean the number of progresive stations declined. Air America did not own any stations. (MAYBE one in NYC). So the stations that carried Air America Content can continue to carry other progressive talkers. Probably at more profit, as people like Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller have a larger following than the Air America on air talent.
As far as numbers of stations, I don't have numbers. But I listen a lot and hardly a week goes by that I don't hear at least one of the hosts welcoming a new affiliate.

So, now we know where you get your talking points. It's no wonder so many of us can't make very much sense out of what you post here. You should turn off your radio and tune into the real world.

Boxcar
P.S. But of course, it's okay to listen to El Rushbo a few times a week. He'll work wonders for your mind.

Snag
01-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Lose two, win one?

Sounds like my ROI.

JustRalph
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
What a Week!! :lol: :lol: :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
01-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Where's the bail out?

How come Congress is not saving the investor's bacon?

Must be another right wing conspiracy at work.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-23-2010, 03:44 PM
All those celebs aren't holding another telethon or having a concert for them? :lol:

DJofSD
01-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Air Aid?

bigmack
01-23-2010, 05:07 PM
With the level of broadcasting excellence found around there it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

What a laugh riot this is. '04 results come in & a serious gloom muffles all.

3aPiP6gjOLY