PDA

View Full Version : CALIFORNIA HORSEMEN FOR CHANGE DOMINATE CTT ELECTION!

andymays
01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/california-horsemen-for-change-dominate-ctt-election/

Excerpt:

Ed Halpern, executive director of the CTT, said the following nine trainers were elected to the new board: Bob Baffert, Jeff Bonde, Gloria Haley, Terry Knight, Doug O’Neill, John Sadler, John Shirreffs, Darrell Vienna, and Kathy Walsh. Bonde, Haley and Knight were elected to represent Northern California, while the remaining six represent Southern California.

Excerpt:

California Horsemen for Change pointed to the following as areas of concern:

- the closing of Fairplex Park to stabling and training due to revenue shortfalls;

- the poor economic state of the racetracks and the uncertainty over the future of Hollywood Park, Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields and Del Mar;

- questions about the safety of synthetic tracks;

- a desire to be more closely engaged with TOC.

andymays
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
About time we got some good people involved. :ThmbUp:

Get the rest of the progressive knucleheads out and there still might be a chance. ;)

rwwupl
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/california-horsemen-for-change-dominate-ctt-election/

Excerpt:

Ed Halpern, executive director of the CTT, said the following nine trainers were elected to the new board: Bob Baffert, Jeff Bonde, Gloria Haley, Terry Knight, Doug O’Neill, John Sadler, John Shirreffs, Darrell Vienna, and Kathy Walsh. Bonde, Haley and Knight were elected to represent Northern California, while the remaining six represent Southern California.

Excerpt:

California Horsemen for Change pointed to the following as areas of concern:

- the closing of Fairplex Park to stabling and training due to revenue shortfalls;

- the poor economic state of the racetracks and the uncertainty over the future of Hollywood Park, Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields and Del Mar;

- questions about the safety of synthetic tracks;

- a desire to be more closely engaged with TOC.

I like this move, but how about them having a desire to be more closely engaged with a players organization ,like HANA? :ThmbUp:

andymays
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I like this move, but how about them having a desire to be more closely engaged with a players organization ,like HANA? :ThmbUp:

I suggested that when this new group first organized a several months ago.

Timing is everything.

Here's the thread when it came up before. Check it out. It's a must read! :ThmbUp:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62886

Horseplayersbet.com
01-21-2010, 04:47 PM
The people collectively harder to move on takeout decrease are trainers. Do we know this group isn't all about increasing takeout?

I think everyone can be educated that lower takeout means more revenue for all, but I find horse owners and even racing execs are more open to understanding the finer points of it over most trainers.

And I do understand that horsemen have had a history of perceiving that they've been screwed over on numerous times by management, so they are reluctant to OK lower takeout because they believe they are giving something up, when in fact they are not.

andymays
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
The people collectively harder to move on takeout decrease are trainers. Do we know this group isn't all about increasing takeout?

I think everyone can be educated that lower takeout means more revenue for all, but I find horse owners and even racing execs are more open to understanding the finer points of it over most trainers.

And I do understand that horsemen have had a history of perceiving that they've been screwed over on numerous times by management, so they are reluctant to OK lower takeout because they believe they are giving something up, when in fact they are not.

My point is that if someone would have reached out when I suggested it there might be a shot.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62886

You don't know unless you ask.

It looks like everything is on the table!

kenwoodallpromos
01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
"uncertainty over the future of Hollywood Park, Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields and Del Mar;"
WOW! They are only concerned about the future of the non-government owned tracks!
I believe Fairplex and the NorCalFairs' tracks are owned by the public.

andymays
01-22-2010, 06:56 AM
"uncertainty over the future of Hollywood Park, Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields and Del Mar;"
WOW! They are only concerned about the future of the non-government owned tracks!

There was uncertainty prior to this. This can only be seen as a positive development. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
DMR is not privately held.

andymays
01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
DMR is not privately held.

Non Profit I believe.

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Non Profit I believe.Right you are! Just don't tell Moyers Pond. He thinks NYRA is the only not-for-profit operation out there...he also thinks any track operating as a not-for-profit is TURD CITY.

He'll probably change his tune after he finds out DMTC operates as a NFP...

andymays
01-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Don't get me stared on Del Mar. :D

Only a "high minded" non profit like Del Mar would install a reverse osmosis system to water the Polytrack (true story) while people and horses drink tap water. :rolleyes:

Just another "you can't make it up" form California. :bang:

andymays
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
California Thoroughbred Trainers takes position against synthetic surfaces

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/January/28/California-Thoroughbred-Trainers-takes-position-against-synthetic-surfaces.aspx

Excerpt:

The newly installed board of directors of the California Thoroughbred Trainers will seek to replace the state’s synthetic racetrack surfaces with natural surfaces.

In a statement, the board said the position is based on a recent poll of the membership. Santa Anita Park announced last week that the track’s Pro-Ride synthetic surface would be pulled out at the end of the current meet and possibly replaced with dirt.

The divisive issue of synthetic surfaces led some Southern California-based trainers to seek to decertify the California Thoroughbreds Trainers (CTT) last fall as the official representative of trainers in the state.

rwwupl
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/January/28/California-Thoroughbred-Trainers-takes-position-against-synthetic-surfaces.aspx

Excerpt:

The newly installed board of directors of the California Thoroughbred Trainers will seek to replace the state’s synthetic racetrack surfaces with natural surfaces.

In a statement, the board said the position is based on a recent poll of the membership. Santa Anita Park announced last week that the track’s Pro-Ride synthetic surface would be pulled out at the end of the current meet and possibly replaced with dirt.

The divisive issue of synthetic surfaces led some Southern California-based trainers to seek to decertify the California Thoroughbreds Trainers (CTT) last fall as the official representative of trainers in the state.

I wish the new Board WELL! :ThmbUp: ;)

andymays
01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I wish the new Board WELL! :ThmbUp: ;)

Absolutely! :ThmbUp:

It's about time they started standing up! :ThmbUp:

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Excerpt:

Though I respect John Sheriff's a great deal, why wasn't Richard Mandella selected to this commitee? I would be awful leary of a commitee that apparently is stacked with dirt-centric trainers/interests that obviously any sort of impartial decision making process is not present. This on the surface looks like a self serving group created by Vienna an advocate of the anti-sythetic sympathizers. :rolleyes:

Vienna spearheaded the creation of the offshoot group, which called itself California Horsemen for Change. Vienna has been an outspoken critic of the synthetic surfaces that were installed at major racetracks in the state to adhere with a mandate from the California Horse Racing Board.

andymays
01-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Though I respect John Sheriff's a great deal, why wasn't Richard Mandella selected to this commitee? I would be awful leary of a commitee that apparently is stacked with dirt-centric trainers/interests that obviously any sort of impartial decision making process is not present. This on the surface looks like a self serving group created by Vienna an advocate of the anti-sythetic sympathizers. :rolleyes:

Vienna spearheaded the creation of the offshoot group, which called itself California Horsemen for Change. Vienna has been an outspoken critic of the synthetic surfaces that were installed at major racetracks in the state to adhere with a mandate from the California Horse Racing Board.

The ones that are not part of the group or don't support the group are still in love with the theory of synthetic surfaces. They are still struggling to come to grips with the fact that the theory of synthetic surfaces is far different from the reality.

You will see more and more Trainers speak out at places like Woodbine and Arlington as the year goes on.

Kimsus
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
The ones that are not part of the group or don't support the group are still in love with the theory of synthetic surfaces. They are still struggling to come to grips with the fact that the theory of synthetic surfaces is far different from the reality.

You will see more and more Trainers speak out at places like Woodbine and Arlington as the year goes on.

I predict this is going to get messy, as coup d'tat's usually are. I repeat, when and if we go back to dirt tracks and breakdowns or worse case "fatal breakdowns" increase. The day will come when the media will call this another knee kerk reaction, another black eye to racing's somewhat tanished image. where simple maintenance could be the answer. It doesn't take a genious to figure out there are some self serving interests involved. The 2 guys I respect the most are John Sheriff's and Dick Mandella, and both are at polar opposites in this debate. Meaning the truth lies somewhere in between, there are tracks all over the world that make this work, this is not reinventing the wheel....however only here in America do we have it failing miserably...?

andymays
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Sadler elected CTT president
http://www.drf.com/news/article/110416.html

Excerpt:

Trainer John Sadler was elected president of the California Thoroughbred Trainers on Wednesday at the first meeting of the organization's newly elected board of directors.

Sadler is joined on the board by new members Bob Baffert, Jeff Bonde, Terry Knight, Doug O'Neill, Darrell Vienna, and Kathy Walsh. They will serve with Gloria Haley and John Shirreffs, who were on the previous board and were reelected. Vienna and Haley have been elected vice-presidents.

The board of the trainers' organization has undergone massive changes following a special election in recent weeks brought on by a group of disgruntled trainers who demanded new representation.