PDA

View Full Version : May Lose TV

Pell Mell
01-20-2010, 06:28 PM
First they make it a must that people get a digital TV or a converter. Now there's a movement afoot to do away with free TV.
I live in Appalachia and there are thousands of people here that are dirt poor. Cable is not available in large areas and they can't afford satellite or the cable. Inch by inch they will get everyone. :bang:

http://www.nab.org/documents/newsroom/pressRelease.asp?id=2158

46zilzal
01-20-2010, 06:32 PM
First they make it a must that people get a digital TV or a converter. Now there's a movement afoot to do away with free TV.
I live in Appalachia and there are thousands of people here that are dirt poor. Cable is not available in large areas and they can't afford satellite or the cable. Inch by inch they will get everyone. :bang:

http://www.nab.org/documents/newsroom/pressRelease.asp?id=2158
Wouldn't make ANY difference other than SOME sports coverage. TV is an intellectual waste land and I can watch PBS, Discovery and others are on line

johnhannibalsmith
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't make ANY difference other than SOME sports coverage. TV is an intellectual waste land and I can watch PBS, Discovery and others are on line

I guess it makes me feel good that you prefer to sit and yap with the brilliant intellect here all day as opposed to watching all of that brain cell contaminating programming on TV.

46zilzal
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
I guess it makes me feel good that you prefer to sit and yap with the brilliant intellect here all day as opposed to watching all of that brain cell contaminating programming on TV.
yes more guessing which one of 14 or so guys DNA matches the broad's kid or the Jerry Springier show. Not that's entertainment!

Even on sports programming the volume is turned off to negate the stupid inane comments of the commentators with a few exceptions (Buck and others)

The comedain Gallagher had the best comment: "You have a brightness control on your TV but it doesn't WORK!"

Pell Mell
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM

You are simply amazing!

Do you think these poor illiterate people have a computer or would know how to use one.
For a bleeding heart lib like you to make such asinine statements is unreal. The best part is you think your so brilliant and you talk through your a$$.

Another thing; if I had the time I bet I could go through all your posts and find a hundred cases where you absolutely contradict yourself. And, you are totally ignorant of how stupid you sound, or really are. :rolleyes:

Tom
01-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Pell Mell.......:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

ElKabong
01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I agree, eventually tv will be a pay only service. 10 yrs, maybe.

Currently I pay $90 a month for directv. I only watch tv more than 2 days a week in the fall (college football), otherwise I just don't watch. Nothing there for me. I know 2 people that simply stopped on tv altogether, they just got sick of it. I'm close to that myself, but political races and college football reel me in to the tune of $1100 a year.

My brother earned 7x what I did annually (he's retired, young, did very well) and kids me about "paying for tv" as if subscription tv were a waste of money. I think he's right ,to be honest.

As for Appalachia, that's all they have. To take this away from them is really sad.

PhantomOnTour
01-20-2010, 11:25 PM
You post about how the people of App. are so 'dirt poor' and cant afford anything, and pay TV will just be out of their financial range,then you call someone ELSE a bleeding heart liberal.

Thats rich man.

boxcar
01-20-2010, 11:56 PM
I agree, eventually tv will be a pay only service. 10 yrs, maybe.

Currently I pay $90 a month for directv. I only watch tv more than 2 days a week in the fall (college football), otherwise I just don't watch. Nothing there for me. I know 2 people that simply stopped on tv altogether, they just got sick of it. I'm close to that myself, but political races and college football reel me in to the tune of $1100 a year.

My brother earned 7x what I did annually (he's retired, young, did very well) and kids me about "paying for tv" as if subscription tv were a waste of money. I think he's right ,to be honest.

As for Appalachia, that's all they have. To take this away from them is really sad.

I dropped my satellite service over a year ago. Don't miss it at all. Most of the stuff aired is garbage, anyways.

Boxcar

plainolebill
01-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Me too, I don't watch any TV - dropped the cable 16 years ago.

Politics and sports on the tube? I can get my heart rate up in lots of other ways. :lol:

Tom
01-21-2010, 07:49 AM
You post about how the people of App. are so 'dirt poor' and cant afford anything, and pay TV will just be out of their financial range,then you call someone ELSE a bleeding heart liberal.

Thats rich man.

How does sating a fact equate to being a bleeding heart liberal?
He is stating a fact.

PhantomOnTour
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes, he was stating a fact, but the bang head on wall emoticon :bang: and Pell's follow up post show, at least to me, that his heart bleeds for these folks in App. There is sentiment to his post. In other words, the mere stating (and restating) of the poor uneducated conditions in App. sounds a lil bleedin to me.

Also, I thought I'd give some support to 46Zil since it seems to me that almost every post he makes gets hunted down and trashed by a certain few folks. Yeah, he does make some off beat comments, but sometimes I think the criticism is overboard and unfair. I dont agree with Zilly all the time, but I dont think he was out of line in saying that TV is an intellectual wasteland---it is. I havent watched primetime entertainment in years, but I hear this Jersey Shore show is something I should check out ;)

46zilzal
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
You are simply amazing!

Do you think these poor illiterate people have a computer or would know how to use one.
For a bleeding heart lib like you to make such asinine statements is unreal. The best part is you think your so brilliant and you talk through your a$$.

Another thing; if I had the time I bet I could go through all your posts and find a hundred cases where you absolutely contradict yourself. And, you are totally ignorant of how stupid you sound, or really are.
like many here, you never characterize the statement, ONLY the source which then YOU define.