PDA

View Full Version : If you had a good horse, would you even consider putting a female jock on them?

Moyers Pond
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Do these guys that book these female jockeys have wives that put pressure on them or perhaps something else is going on? Seriously, if you had a good horse why would you put a female rider on your horse? It makes no sense. They are clearly at a huge disadvantage when it comes to upper body strength and I frequently see them struggling with their mounts. Makes no sense.

johnhannibalsmith
01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Some horses couldn't give two purple turds about upper body strength or an impressive cowboy whistle. There's a place for almost anyone and anything, lady riders included.

illinoisbred
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
You're kidding,right? Here in Illinois, if I had a fit and ready horse Inez Karlsson would be 1 of my top choices. She can ride and compete with any male.

my_nameaintearl
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
This is a ridiculous thread

bushwick
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
If she would sleep with me!!

Greyfox
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
:ThmbUp: Chantal Sutherland is as good as 90 % of the top male riders. Balance, courage, brains, hands, timing.

Relwob Owner
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Do these guys that book these female jockeys have wives that put pressure on them or perhaps something else is going on? Seriously, if you had a good horse why would you put a female rider on your horse? It makes no sense. They are clearly at a huge disadvantage when it comes to upper body strength and I frequently see them struggling with their mounts. Makes no sense.

Your posts seem to be, for the most part, very controversial and seem intended to get people to "bite" on them. I will bite on this one since I do own a few horses. To me, there is no perfect way to physically ride a horse. Jocks with less strength(both male and female) can make up for it in other ways with research, smarts, tactical proficiency and just riding their mounts with all of their energy, all the time.

You have started this thread with some pretty sexist implications that I dont agree with but to each is own....I would encourage you to check out Chantal Sutherland and Rosemary Homeister(to name a few-there are many others) and you should be able to draw the conclusion that what doesnt make sense are the words in your thread starting post....that is just my opinion.

Kimsus
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Early leader for BTOY.

Bad Thread Of the Year

Moyers Pond
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I am talking about a good horse, not some claimer or even an allowance horse.

Seems to me most trainers agree with me considering how few females ride in triple crown and breeders cup races. In fact, not many ride in big stakes races at all.

I occasionally see females in small stakes, but I was looking at this smaller stake on Saturday at Aqueduct and I see Napravnik on a horse and a jockey like Cohen is available. Makes zero sense.

Men are clearly superior jockeys, just like they are superior athletes in ever sport. It is just the way men and women were created.

Kimsus
01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
:ThmbUp: Chantal Sutherland is as good as 90 % of the top male riders. Balance, courage, brains, hands, timing.

She made a big difference on Pretty Unusual in the El Encino at 29-1.

Moyers Pond
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
She made a big difference on Pretty Unusual in the El Encino at 29-1.

Doubtful. Horse would have won with anyone on his back.

If she was such a good jockey should would be getting triple crown and breeders cup mounts.

Greyfox
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM

????You smokin' somethin'? That horse was 29-1 as several had significantly higher Beyers.

illinoisbred
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM
In all honesty, Cohen looks good now because he's getting a lot of fit frontrunning types from top outfits. Shit, anyone would look good on them on that track. Just my opinion,I think Napravnik is a good strong finishing rider.

Relwob Owner
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Seems to me most trainers agree with me considering how few females ride in triple crown and breeders cup races. In fact, not many ride in big stakes races at all.

I occasionally see females in small stakes, but I was looking at this smaller stake on Saturday at Aqueduct and I see Napravnik on a horse and a jockey like Cohen is available. Makes zero sense.

Men are clearly superior jockeys, just like they are superior athletes in ever sport. It is just the way men and women were created.

I guess you would call me dumb then because I got very fortunate and had a horse with a good shot in a 125K race last year and rode Rosemary Homeister. I am already mad at myself for responding because your premise and view of men and women is very small and limited and your thread is clearly designed to get people upset, rather than have a good discussion. I

You bring up your Aqueduct example and it actually kind of refutes your own point. A female jockey was used while Cohen was on the sidelines. Obviously, the experts in this case(owner, trainer) feel differently than you do....hope this thread ends here because it is pointless.

Show Me the Wire
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
????You smokin' somethin'? That horse was 29-1 as several had significantly higher Beyers.

I think he meant the way the horse looked winning. I think Sutherland is a decent jock, but I have to agree any decent jock would have won with that horse.

GaryG
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I hate to contribute to this ridiculous thread, but what the hell: Emma-Jayne Wilson. Versatile and a strong finisher on the grass.

Kimsus
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM

If she was such a good jockey should would be getting triple crown and breeders cup mounts.

Yeah, I'm sure the stars were all aligned that day...I'm sure Silvio Ruiz Amador would have had his picture taken also...

Greyfox
01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I think he meant the way the horse looked winning. I think Sutherland is a decent jock, but I have to agree any decent jock would have won with that horse.

In the rear view mirror, it's fair to say that. In the hands of another rider there's just as good a chance that the horse would not have responded as well.
I repeat: "Chantal Sutherland will get the most out of her mounts if they are ready."

Show Me the Wire
01-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I guess you would call me dumb then because I got very fortunate and had a horse with a good shot in a 125K race last year and rode Rosemary Homeister. I am already mad at myself for responding because your premise and view of men and women is very small and limited and your thread is clearly designed to get people upset, rather than have a good discussion. I

You bring up your Aqueduct example and it actually kind of refutes your own point. A female jockey was used while Cohen was on the sidelines. Obviously, the experts in this case(owner, trainer) feel differently than you do....hope this thread ends here because it is pointless.

I disagree, about this thread being pointless. Do you put a "speed" jock on a closer? The jock's talents, strengths should fit the horse. Is there a certain type of horse that may benefit from a female jock, is a interesting topic.

Millie Ball a few days ago broached the subject and opinied that some horses prefer female jocks, because these particular horses like to feel they are running off. Interesting point.

raybo
01-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Geez! Step into the 21st century! Women are inferior to men? Give us a break!

tzipi
01-20-2010, 05:22 PM
HELL YEAH! I would no doubt put a girl or woman on my horse!

Relwob Owner
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
I disagree, about this thread being pointless. Do you put a "speed" jock on a closer? The jock's talents, strengths should fit the horse. Is there a certain type of horse that may benefit from a female jock, is a interesting topic.

Millie Ball a few days ago broached the subject and opinied that some horses prefer female jocks, because these particular horses like to feel they are running off. Interesting point.

Right, but that isnt the premise of the thread.....Moyers advanced the notion that it never makes sense to ride a female jock on a good horse....to me, continuing a thread on that is pointless......a thread about specific times a female jock is better? that is interesting and would be a good way forr it to shift IMO

46zilzal
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Women, in that small of a package, do not have the brute strength to overcome horses so the best ones are finesse riders...Sutherland Hemeister and other are good ones.

WORST ride I ever saw however was Julie Krone on Forty Niner in the BC Classic where she TOOK BACK a fre wheeling front runner only to allow his season long nemesis (Seeking the Gold) to steal second as he was not there to push him.

NOTHING moved up all day near the rail so where does she run this open: ON THE RAIL. Laffit had just handed Easy Goer a loss from the 4 path...Don't they watch the replays or talk to each other about the best part of the course?

46zilzal
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I hate to contribute to this ridiculous thread, but what the hell: Emma-Jayne Wilson. Versatile and a strong finisher on the grass.
STRONG a handshake as I ever felt as I met her at the Canadian Hall of Fame Inductions in 2008..

Told her that she made me look like a genius when I touted Mike Fox for the Queen's Plate

WinterTriangle
01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
You have started this thread with some pretty sexist implications

Worse, the implications don't even hold up to reality.

As a woman, I'm the first person to admit I personally lack upper body strength, even when I was working out, but I have many women friends who can handle a big log chainsaw with the best of men. But there's so much more than that involved, finesse, and timing/judgement.

So, I don't generalize based on gender. Rosie, Chantal, Julie Krone, Kyla, and there are some very competitive riders in New Zealand and Aust.

Some of you might remember Springman-Noll at Oaklawn in 1999..... 47 wins. :)

let's put it this way, I'd take any of them over Stewart Elliott's ride on Smarty Jones and I can think of about 100 other examples. :)

toussaud
01-20-2010, 06:14 PM
pure honesty

toussaud
01-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Millie Ball a few days ago broached the subject and opinionated that some horses prefer female jocks, because these particular horses like to feel they are running off. Interesting point.
correct

it's not so much a male female thing, men are better than women thing but moreso a strength weakness thing.

for instance... If I had a front runner type horse, I'd be more inclined to give the mount to anna rose before I gave it to Garrett Gomez.. and visa versa with a late running closer.

cj's dad
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
STRONG a handshake as I ever felt as I met her at the Canadian Hall of Fame Inductions in 2008..

Told her that she made me look like a genius when I touted Mike Fox for the Queen's Plate

Amazing how you can always and I mean ALWAYS somehow inject your past experiences into every thread.

Kind of like when I met Julie krone and she told me i was the most handsome man she ever met :lol::lol:

This was BTW at the Preakness stakes barn many years ago.

Saratoga_Mike
01-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Women, in that small of a package, do not have the brute strength to overcome horses so the best ones are finesse riders...Sutherland Hemeister and other are good ones.

WORST ride I ever saw however was Julie Krone on Forty Niner in the BC
Classic where she TOOK BACK a fre wheeling front runner only to allow his season long nemesis (Seeking the Gold) to steal second as he was not there to push him.

NOTHING moved up all day near the rail so where does she run this open: ON THE RAIL. Laffit had just handed Easy Goer a loss from the 4 path...Don't they watch the replays or talk to each other about the best part of the course?

Wouldn't that merely qualify as a dumb ride? It had nothing to do with her gender. Perhaps the thread just made you think about the ride...

toussaud
01-20-2010, 06:32 PM
the worst ride in the history of horse racing was chantel sutherland on bishop court hill in the I want to say jockey club gold cup when she was supposed to be a rabbit for her stable mate but decided she had her own plans and held the horse back only for berrago to come swooping around the turn.

Grits
01-20-2010, 06:33 PM

A monkey could ride for you and win! I don't know if he (or she) would get there on strength, but they'd damn sure beat you to the wire by way of their intelligence.:lol: What do you do--just sit around dream this junk up?:lol:

Do these guys that book these female jockeys have wives that put pressure on them or perhaps something else is going on?

Put pressure on them in what way?

They don't possess any upper body strength? Tell all this to the fine female jockeys riding today and to the Williams sisters and Danica Patrick. But then too, you could be right, maybe something else is going on. Whatcha' think it is?

LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I am truly rolling on the floor at this stuff.

Poll MOST trainers and get back to us, here, at the board. We'll wait.:lol:

toussaud
01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
moyers pond... I normally am not this harsh.. but you are an idiot.

I mean that from the bottom of my heart. from starting 20 threads telling everyone why zenyatta will/should win the HOY award, to starting 40 threads about how screwed up the system is and how you don't care anymore when you dont' get your way.. to saying there is no point to riding female jockeys...man.

matthewsiv
01-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Some horses will run for a girl rider and not at all for a male one.

I have used girl jockeys and they try a lot harder than men.

CincyHorseplayer
01-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Well it's good to see you are even keel.And it explains a lot about you.You're not just a horse hater,you are a sexist to boot.Good for you!!!You have asshole sweating out your pores!!!

Cat Thief
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
geez i have saw alot of rsces won by female jockeys especially front runners

ZephyrHawk
01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Well, mind you, I'm not a trainer of racing thoroughbreds, but I do own other breeds. In general, I'd rather have a woman on them any day. Women tend to instinctively understand that there must be give and take with a large animal. It is not a car. It's actually always surprised me how relatively few women there are in racing, as compared to other performance horse sports.

You pick the rider to fit the horse, regardless of sex.

CryingForTheHorses
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
In all honesty, Cohen looks good now because he's getting a lot of fit frontrunning types from top outfits. Shit, anyone would look good on them on that track. Just my opinion,I think Napravnik is a good strong finishing rider.

In all honesty..A riders finish whether it be man or woman is only as good as the finish of the horse..Pushing a horse as he is accelerating on his own makes a lot of riders look good.NOBODY can finish on a dying horse..I have ridden several lady jocks on horses but I choose my jock to fit the horse.Many woman jocks have very good hands on a horse.They also tend to calm certain horses where the horse may be a fruitcake with a male rider..Moyer's Pond opened up a can of worms with this thread..Cant wait for Joannie's response

Saratoga_Mike
01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
In all honesty..A riders finish whether it be man or woman is only as good as the finish of the horse..Pushing a horse as he is accelerating on his own makes a lot of riders look good.NOBODY can finish on a dying horse..I have ridden several lady jocks on horses but I choose my jock to fit the horse.Many woman jocks have very good hands on a horse.They also tend to calm certain horses where the horse may be a fruitcake with a male rider..Moyer's Pond opened up a can of worms with this thread..Cant wait for Joannie's response

First, I think there are plenty of strong female jockeys, so I think this thread is nonsense. That said, I don't agree with your assertion that nobody can finish on a dying horse. I think top riders get more out of horse in the last 100 yds than subpar jocks.

toussaud
01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
you ovbiously did not watch the 1985 Jersey derby

Robert Goren
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
If I had a good horse I would sell while it was still a good horse and let the next sucker worry about whose going to ride it.;)

thespaah
01-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I thought this was settled a long time a go when Julie Krone was arguably one of the top jockeys in the nation for several seasons.

Trotman
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Robert Goren you break me up with your timely posts :lol:
I think Moyers Pond is just sick and tired of getting bitch slapped by every good woman out there jockey or not so he has to start these b***s**t threads to heal his wounds.

onefast99
01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
We raced last year at GP and used Rosie Napravnik, that was the first time we ever had a female jock onboard our 4 year old mare, her instructions were to sit off the leaders and make one run. The horse that won opened up to a 7 length lead and wasn't coming back to the pack Rosie got us up for 3rd. Many other jocks couldn't care less about finishing in the money she was smart enough to keep riding and getting us 10% of the 32k purse.

Grits
01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Robert Goren you break me up with your timely posts :lol:
I think Moyers Pond is just sick and tired of getting bitch slapped by every good woman out there jockey or not so he has to start these b***s**t threads to heal his wounds.

LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLL:lol: :lol: :lol:

bisket
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
rosie is a good jock. maybe the next jock from the md-del circuit to make it big? we've sent dominguez on his way, she could be next. she's been getting good mounts in new york during the winter for 2 years now. thats how dominguez got his foot in the door. time will tell. male or female; most trainers and owners want whoever does the job on their horse. rosie has proven she can get results so its only a matter of time.

Stillriledup
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM

Shhhhhhh. Let them think she can't win.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I think Moyers Pond is just sick and tired of getting bitch slapped by every good woman out there jockey or not so he has to start these b***s**t threads to heal his wounds.I think he's just shocked he hasn't been kicked off yet, so he figures to push the envelope until that happens.

Moyers Pond
01-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I think he's just shocked he hasn't been kicked off yet, so he figures to push the envelope until that happens.

Why would I get kicked off for posting a question that 99% of the top trainers seem to agree with?

Can you name all the good horses (triple crown/breeders cup) that have had female riders?

Shouldn't take you too long.

This is actually a very good question I posted, and it seems most top trainers agree with me based on the lack of females riding top horses.

senortout
01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Why would I get kicked off for posting a question that 99% of the top trainers seem to agree with?

Can you name all the good horses (triple crown/breeders cup) that have had female riders?

This is actually a very good question I posted, and it seems most top trainers agree with me based on the lack of females riding top horses.

Fact is, most trainers are men, too. Every man I know worth his salt is a little hesitant about putting women in harm's way. I believe it is this reluctance which causes the majority of horses to be ridden by male jockeys.

senortout

nijinski
01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
I think Julie Krone was a gutsy jock , but honestly I have not seen that many couragious rides by females. Would Chantel have won the Derby with MTB?
In my opinion , no.
I am a female who has never done that well betting on any other than Krone.

Robert Fischer
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Napravnik was ok in the 6th today. She hustled out of the gate, showed she was coming over to the golden rail with her body language(looking demonstratively over her shoulder) then bulled her way to the rail intimidating Saez's horse. Badgett's training, her aggresive ride, and the bias were enough to beat a clearly dominant horse (the mighty Shrimp Dancer) and more importantly about $150 ex box :cool::lol:

I think a trainer of a "good" horse only need to put one of the best jockeys he can get on the horse. It shouldn't matter if it's male or female, so long as the jock is good enough.

bushwick
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
If I had a good horse I would sell while it was still a good horse and let the next sucker worry about whose going to ride it.;)

thespaah
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I think he's just shocked he hasn't been kicked off yet, so he figures to push the envelope until that happens.
If you get the "big kicking foot" out of the closet, can I watch?:lol:

thespaah
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Seem?
Ok, genius, what percentage of all jocks are women?
I would be willing to wager it's less than 5.
By sheer numbers, it would be unusual to see a female rider on a TC or BC horse.
Like I stated earlier, thius thread should be non existent based on the accomplishments of Julie Krone.
BTW I bet when she was in her 20's and 30's she could kick your ass.
Oh and BTW.....Look who the second leading rider in wins is at Tampa Bay....
http://equibase.com/premium/eqbTopLeadersByTrackDisplay.cfm?TRK=TAM&CY=USA&STAT=J...
And look who is tied for 5th ......
C,mon ,you're all wet here.

ranchwest
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM

I want to thank you and congratulate you.

With most people, it takes me a long time to figure them out. You have enabled me to figure you out on the very first post of yours I read.

It is great to know that I don't need to bother to read anything else from you.

johnhannibalsmith
01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Would Chantel have won the Derby with MTB?

I guess I agree, she probably wouldn't have... but then again, I doubt that any of the other eighteen men that did ride the race would have either.

Trotman
01-22-2010, 02:37 AM
If Moyers Pond can ever get his foot out of his mouth and offer up an opinion on a horse or bet, go the other way it's a lock. :ThmbUp:

Linny
01-22-2010, 10:10 AM

WORST ride I ever saw however was Julie Krone on Forty Niner in the BC Classic where she TOOK BACK a fre wheeling front runner only to allow his season long nemesis (Seeking the Gold) to steal second as he was not there to push him.

You are talking about a bad decision in a big race. It's not like that doesn't happen all the time. Prado made more bone headed moves in 2009 than any "big name rider" I know. That was a mental error and had nothing to do with Krone physical abilities. If you'd opt never to ride a female because Krone erred in the BC 20 years ago, would you opt off of south American's because of Prado's recent errors? It makes no sense. If a rider fits your horse, use them.

Some horses need to be handled with strength, they pull hard or want to get out and others require more subtlety. Dominquez has great hands, he can get a horse to relax well. Maybe some might call this a "feminine" trait but I think it's a characteristic of a good jock. Having seen Anna Napravnik ride hard inside on a longshot that beat me at AQU yesterday, I think that she's pretty good.

Pell Mell
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe this isn't relevant but this thread brought it to mind. Back in the days before there were any female jocks, that I can remember, I was at Tommy Harraway's barn one day. A few visitor's arrived and a couple of them were women. Tommy asked the women if it was that time of month for them and they kind of got insulted. He said he doesn't let women in the barn if they have their monthly because it upset some of the horses.

True story. :lol:

1st time lasix
01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Inez Karlsson is in Tampa...as good as any of them. Wouldn't hesitate

I Love NYRA
01-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Chantal Sutherland is better than every jockey currently riding in NY with the exception of Ramon Dominguez and CC Lopez. I'd also take her over Kent Desormeaux and Alan Garcia as well. What the hell happened to Alan Garcia anyways? Hes spiraling out of control.

toussaud
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Inez Karlsson is in Tampa...as good as any of them. Wouldn't hesitate
wouldn't hesitate to do what?

toussaud
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Chantal Sutherland is better than every jockey currently riding in NY with the exception of Ramon Dominguez and CC Lopez. I'd also take her over Kent Desormeaux and Alan Garcia as well. What the hell happened to Alan Garcia anyways? Hes spiraling out of control.
I agree on both points. Chantel is a legit rider now.. could not say that 3 years ago.

how 1 year can change you.

in the preakness last year he probably gave the best ride of anyone on flying private.

i haven't heard his or edgar prado's name in like 6 months.

illinoisbred
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Inez Karlsson was an amateur boxer in Sweden. She can hold her own quite well with the guys in Chicago.

Pell Mell
01-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Comparing strength between male and female jocks is really silly. It's like saying she can't pick up a 500 lb weight, well he can't either. If a 1,000 lb horse decides to do what it wants to any difference in strength is not going to matter.

I've had a horse or two run off with me and I weigh 180.:blush:

Greyfox
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM

What a coincidence. I've had a female jockey or two run off with me and I weigh 180. :liar:

Pell Mell
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
What a coincidence. I've had a female jockey or two run off with me and I weigh 180. :liar:

:lol:

joanied
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Maybe you shoulda put a laughing smilie with that sentence: :ThmbDown:

joanied
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Yeah right...tell that to the likes of Julie Krone...and just for the record, I can still lift 80 lb. bales of hay and I ain't no youngster anymore...
this is one of the worst posts ever:ThmbDown:

joanied
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Ohboy...you're diggin yourself in deeper and deeper...
I think I'll give you an Eclispe Award...Best Male Chauvanist Piggy:D

joanied
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM

A poorly judged ride has nothing to do with the topic...which is about strength...they ALL put in bad rides, Zilly :faint:

joanied
01-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by bushwick

pure honesty

Pure male!

Steve 'StatMan'
01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
A monkey could ride for you and win! ...lol:

Yes, but reading Moyers Pond's posts, he'd only use male monkeys. :D

joanied
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM

:D I posted several. Unbeleivable topic, McSchell...I beleive I'd like to shake hands with Moyers Pond...I know it would take him down a notch...to his knees:jump:

joanied
01-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe this isn't relevant but this thread brought it to mind. Back in the days before there were any female jocks, that I can remember, I was at Tommy Harraway's barn one day. A few visitor's arrived and a couple of them were women. Tommy asked the women if it was that time of month for them and they kind of got insulted. He said he doesn't let women in the barn if they have their monthly because it upset some of the horses.

True story. :lol:

That story may be true...but it's also absolutley ridiculous...there is absolutley no truth to that insane idea....jeeze:bang:

joanied
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I guess I agree, she probably wouldn't have... but then again, I doubt that any of the other eighteen men that did ride the race would have either.

Right...none of the other jocks would have won with MTB...not a one!!

joanied
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Comparing strength between male and female jocks is really silly. It's like saying she can't pick up a 500 lb weight, well he can't either. If a 1,000 lb horse decides to do what it wants to any difference in strength is not going to matter.

Maybe he needs to get out there in the mornings...just as many women galloping/working horses as men...and just as many horses running off with a man on their back as a women.

skate
01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
yep, the broads have been taking over morning rides for about 42 years.

And as for Tam,Bay, they say "let em ride".

Seems like the area of contact is more secure, with the ladies. Consider the horse, it makes for a softer ride.

joanied
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
yep, the broads have been taking over morning rides for about 42 years.

And as for Tam,Bay, they say "let em ride".

Seems like the area of contact is more secure, with the ladies. Consider the horse, it makes for a softer ride.

Indeed...I was one of the very first women on the backside (Belmont) and had the opportunity to witness women taking their place...it was not easy, as you well know...it took guts and strength:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

statepierback
01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't be shy whatsoever to ride a female jockey on a top horse If I ever owned one. It would have to be a comfortable fit however. Some horses just run better for certain jocks. The only thing that would concern me is the driving photo finish. In that situation a want a male.

CincyHorseplayer
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Kris Prather in Kentucky.Would have stuck her on any horse under the sun expecting a win all day.

Pace Cap'n
01-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Donna Barton had a meeting at Remington in '89 or that a sharp bettor could have darn near retired on. She could sure get the most out of the longshots.

nijinski
01-23-2010, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't be shy whatsoever to ride a female jockey on a top horse If I ever owned one. It would have to be a comfortable fit however. Some horses just run better for certain jocks. The only thing that would concern me is the driving photo finish. In that situation a want a male.
Wait , You say you "would" use a female on a top horse.
But I think you talked yourself out of it. :confused: :)

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2010, 05:07 AM

This is actually a very good question I posted, and it seems most top trainers agree with me based on the lack of females riding top horses.You lack such basic skills in a variety of areas. First you exposed yourself in the NYRA "not-for-profit" thread. Now basic math eludes you...

Of course there aren't going to be as many "good" horses ridden by female riders as compared to male riders...and that's because the number of male riders far outweighs the number of female riders at the present time. Basic statistics, basic math...that's your answer.

But have no fear...there are more and more female riders joining the ranks of the jockey colony each and every year...we have a bunch in NY right now as a matter of fact...racing at that "not-for-profit" track you love so much.

Relwob Owner
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM

If you ever need backup for your opinion, watch her ride on Brushburn winning the 5th today at SA....the author of this thread should be forced to watch the race over and over and over......

Gaelic Storm
01-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I really like Rosie Napravnik, I think whe is as good as anyone in NY right now not named Dominguez. Jackie Davis gave a nice ride on Mitchell Park in Thursday's 7th race at Aqueduct she has some potential.

letswastemoney
01-25-2010, 01:54 AM

Men are clearly superior jockeys, just like they are superior athletes in ever sport. It is just the way men and women were created.Julie Krone says hi

pandy
01-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Julie Krone was not only one of the best riders I've ever seen, but she was one of the few that was a natural, horses ran their eyeballs out for her. If she had been a man she would've broken every record in the books, many trainers wouldn't use her because she was a woman. Also, the top female riders are usually more patient and do extremely well on turf and from off the pace, they can get horses to relax, which was Krone's trademark.

pandy
01-25-2010, 10:15 AM

I agree, Chantal is talented.

Patrick333
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Without a doubt. The Mid Atlantic region has several female jockeys who have been winning races.

Kimsus
01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I watch a few Woodbine races and while I couldn't say this 3 years ago or even when she won top apprentice in Canada, she really has developed into an useful jockey. I know many concentrate on her good looks, but she has grasped the idea of cover in races, and yesterday at SA on another Abrhams horse she put that good knowledge to use.

While I wouldn't put her in the class of Ramon or Gomez yet, she definitely has earned the title of good jock and calling her a good female jock is really not necessary anymore.

Kimsus
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM

I Have to readdress this, have you even seen the race before commenting? If you did I doubt you would have put your foot in your mouth...And by the way there have been many good and bad riders ride in the TC and BC, your logic is interesting, and I am not using the word "interesting" as interesting good.

Moyers Pond
01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I Have to readdress this, have you even seen the race before commenting? If you did I doubt you would have put your foot in your mouth...And by the way there have been many good and bad riders ride in the TC and BC, your logic is interesting, and I am not using the word "interesting" as interesting good.

Itis just opinion, and right now the top trainers in the business agree with me. It doesn't mean it is correct, but that is how it currently is.

Kimsus
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Itis just opinion, and right now the top trainers in the business agree with me. It doesn't mean it is correct, but that is how it currently is.

There are quite a few good riders that are not getting any good rides, IE. E Prado. She primarily rides out of Woodbine, why would the likes of Julio Canani use her when they barely know her? Let's use some common sense, even Gomez started out slow when he made his comeback in So Cal, and for every 1 Gomez, there are much more guys like Migliore, who we both agree is a good jock, a point you made on a thread. Using your logic he must be a bad rider because he couldn't stick in California.

letswastemoney
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
The difference in strength can be made up with smarter rides. Riding isn't just about power. The woman could have a smarter mind than her rival

Stillriledup
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Chantal had a nice 'hand ride' winner the other day at SA. GO Chantal!

toetoe
01-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Can such a polymath, just between you and I, take theirselves seriously ? Ironically enough, basically not, though usually it always goes like that. It seems it would not favor theirself.

tribecaagent
01-25-2010, 09:22 PM
A better question would be "If you owned a good horse, would you give it to a female trainer?"

Relwob Owner
01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
The answer would be a resounding "yes"....Carla Gaines would be my choice....to me, jocks and trainers are the same. Male or female, if they are honest, competent and hard working, I would give my horses to them.

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Itis just opinion, and right now the top trainers in the business agree with me.They do? Name one that has gone on the record and agreed with you.

WinterTriangle
01-26-2010, 01:22 AM
The answer would be a resounding "yes"....Carla Gaines would be my choice....to me, jocks and trainers are the same. Male or female, if they are honest, competent and hard working, I would give my horses to them.

Helen Pitts fan myself, but also like Carla Gaines and Michelle Nihei.

then, you gotta hand it to someone like harness trainer Casie Coleman, who spent months in the burn unit after a barn accident, burned over 25% of her body, had 6 skin grafts, and was told she might never walk again...... Went on to become canada's top harness trainer, won the Obrien award twice, and was named trainer of the year.

illinoisbred
01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Christine Janks, Rebecca Maker, Josie Carroll,and many others are every bit as good or better than most men.

tribecaagent
01-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Linda Rice?

First female trainer to win Saratoga title. Not so easy.

thespaah
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
They do? Name one that has gone on the record and agreed with you.
This thread is pretty much nonsense.

strapper
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I would consider them, of course, but doubt if I would let a female rider handle my entire string. I think you have to figure in riding styles of horses and jockeys and the types of races. Chantal, Rosemary Jr, Inez, and Kayla would have a shot in my barn, but like I said, not on every horse - I think some horses need a more physical male jockey; others need a patient passenger and females would get a shot at those.

Moyers Pond
01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
They do? Name one that has gone on the record and agreed with you.

Show me the top trainers that have put women on their horses for a BC or TC race.

Baffert, Pletcher, Dutrow, etc. Don't see any riding women in top races.

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Show me the top trainers that have put women on their horses for a BC or TC race.

Baffert, Pletcher, Dutrow, etc. Don't see any riding women in top races.Top trainers usually use only a handful of jockeys, if that many. They have one or two main guys and that's it...it's tough for ANY other jockey to break into that limited rotation, male or female.

Anyone with a decent database out there...have any of these top trainers ever used a female rider?

tzipi
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Pletcher uses Rosie Napravnik all the time.

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Pletcher uses Rosie Napravnik all the time.There you go...as well he should...she's my favorite female rider at the moment.

Oh, but wait...I see that Moyer's is using the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup qualifier...

How about this angle Mr. Pond:

How many truly EXCEPTIONAL jockeys are there in this world? Not too many, correct?

What is the ratio of male to female riders? Pretty damn big...15-1...20-1...maybe even higher? Plenty of tracks have no female riders I would imagine...

So, you take your DEARTH of EXCEPTIONAL JOCKEYS (of any sex), add that to you ABUNDANCE of male riders over female riders, and you can see that by sheer numbers, you will be hard pressed to find an EXCEPTIONAL FEMALE jockey.

It's all a numbers game at this point. The more female jockeys that enter the game, the better the chance EXCEPTIONAL ones will emerge, and the better the chance a TOP TRAINER will be sending one to the TC or BC.

Give Napravnik a little more time (she's just about to turn 22), and I bet you start seeing some top trainers using her in some marquee events like the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup.

shhail2
01-27-2010, 01:11 AM
as long as its not maylan studart, while attractive, she cant ride a thirsty goat to water

toussaud
01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
chantel is killing it out in socal right now. I think if she actually stayed year round she'd be top 5

Relwob Owner
01-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Baffert, Pletcher, Dutrow, etc. Don't see any riding women in top races.

Honest truth? Many owners and trainers probably have the same opinion(that are sexist in my opinion) that you do about males vs females in general and with respect to riding. That opinion blinds them from seeing that there are good female jocks...as a result, female jocks may get less opportunities in general and in the bigger races.