PDA

View Full Version : HOY has become meaningless- Point totals should decide it

Moyers Pond
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
First, Rachel would have won it with point totals deciding it anyway, but the award really has just become a joke because it is decided by voters, and an East Coast racing campaign is always going to be favored by the voters.

No competition should be decided by voters, that is why college football is essentially a joke, but at least that is understandable because there is more money made by doing it the current way. There is no excuse for horse racing deciding HOY though with votes.

What really goes to show what a joke the award has become is the complete lack of coverage for the award. I think outside the triple crown horse racing has died. Very sad. RIP horse racing. Bury it right next to boxing.

SoCalCircuit
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
well lets hope RA Zenyatta doesnt become another Mayweather Pacquiao :bang:

Spalding No!
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Hah! Before last night you said "who cares about HOY" (see your Zenyatta will be the GREATEST thread), and were bouncing off the walls knowing that Zenyatta would be racing in 2010. Now that it's been announced, and allegedly got no significant coverage amongst non-racing channels (as if this means something), suddenly the sport is dead.

Surely Zenyatta's failure to garner the HOY award can't be responsible for this ridiculous mood swing into nihilistic depression.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2010, 03:58 AM
First, Rachel would have won it with point totals deciding it anyway, but the award really has just become a joke because it is decided by voters, and an East Coast racing campaign is always going to be favored by the voters.Almost half the tracks she ran at were nowhere near the east coast (FG, CD, OP).

Maybe this will teach connections like the Moss' to get out more...and if you ask me, there was nothing but a west coast bias in effect from the time Zenyatta left the winner's circle last November. It was palpable just about until the name "Rachel" left the lips of Mr. Waldrop late Monday night, at about the same time the air left the ballroom.

That was fun!

toussaud
01-20-2010, 05:51 AM
the only "campaign" that zenyatta's camp ran was the all out media blitz after she won the breeders cup classic.

ManeMediaMogul
01-20-2010, 05:57 AM
When did Horse of the Year meaning anything?

It is just a popularity contest with a gold trophy.

CincyHorseplayer
01-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Cry for me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzn5d0dBLIU

I love it!!!:lol:

joanied
01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
When did Horse of the Year meaning anything?

It is just a popularity contest with a gold trophy.

It means a lot to those that win...that trophy means something to the connections of every horse that wins an Eclipse...just like any trophy a horse wins for a race...it is a tangible momento of something wonderful...

and within the confines of race history, it means a lot too...one of the turf writters just had an article on the awards, maybe it was Crist or Haskins...I tried finding it again, to no avail...but whoever it was said about the same thing I did to someone else that seems to think these awards mean nothing...in the article it mentions that fact that years from now, when folks are going over lists of good/exceptional race horses, one thing that always is there, are awards won...and those folks will look for HoY awards winners...in the light of race history, a horse with a Championship will always have it's place in history, and every horse that wins an Eclipse will have that next to his/her name...for all time...

so, it's fine if you think they mean diddely, that's your call...but to say they don't mean anything in the grand scheme of all things pertaining to TB racing, is just not right.
:) :) :)

CincyHorseplayer
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
It means a lot to those that win...that trophy means something to the connections of every horse that wins an Eclipse...just like any trophy a horse wins for a race...it is a tangible momento of something wonderful...

and within the confines of race history, it means a lot too...one of the turf writters just had an article on the awards, maybe it was Crist or Haskins...I tried finding it again, to no avail...but whoever it was said about the same thing I did to someone else that seems to think these awards mean nothing...in the article it mentions that fact that years from now, when folks are going over lists of good/exceptional race horses, one thing that always is there, are awards won...and those folks will look for HoY awards winners...in the light of race history, a horse with a Championship will always have it's place in history, and every horse that wins an Eclipse will have that next to his/her name...for all time...

so, it's fine if you think they mean diddely, that's your call...but to say they don't mean anything in the grand scheme of all things pertaining to TB racing, is just not right.
:) :) :)

Joanie,

Do you think we would be filling up buckets full of tears if this didn't mean something??!!!!:lol:

They know.

I'm loving this because we've been hearing this since June with Ghostyapper.It's a fitting end!!:cool:

joanied
01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Joanie,

Do you think we would be filling up buckets full of tears if this didn't mean something??!!!!:lol:

They know.

I'm loving this because we've been hearing this since June with Ghostyapper.It's a fitting end!!:cool:

:ThmbUp: :) :ThmbUp:

kenwoodallpromos
01-21-2010, 02:50 AM
IMHO the most popular as HOY is good for racing, so 5 East Coast and 3 SE dirt races of less than 1 1/4m at less than 123lb. means nothing.

lamboguy
01-21-2010, 04:33 AM
horse of the year means alot more than most valuable player in baseball or any othr team sport. a plaayer can win the mvp and not be anywhere near a championship game, a horse rally has to.

as racing fans we were competely spoiled this year with 2 great champions. the structure of the award is done by votes from various factions throughout the world i believe, these awards are needed by the sport to keep going. unfortunately there was more excitement generated with the anticipation of these awards than the sport itself this year.