PDA

View Full Version : monitor replacements

judd
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
thinking about buying large monitor-looking at newegg-anybody replace theirs
recently and what would you recommend ?

illinoisbred
01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I recently purchased an HP2159m. The high definition is great when viewing Keeneland ,CD, and Fair Grounds. Screen size is 21.5 and it has adequate built-in speakers.

Dave Schwartz
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Always purchase from Costco if you can.

chickenhead
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I bought one of these recently, no complaints.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-1070

judd
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
why?

bigmack
01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
I bought one of these recently, no complaints.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-1070
I get tons of RSS feeds calling good deals to my attention. This one is a good deal. You're so thrifty it's spooky.

Snag
01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
why?

Costco has a great return policy if anything goes wrong. Also, with an executive membership, you get a rebate.

At least that is what my wife says!

raybo
01-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Try "frys.com", they have sales at times that are unimaginable. I bought an Acer 22" widescreen LCD for $129.95, new!!

$149.95 is fairly common, and for $169.95 you can get a 22" almost any day of the week. Their bigger sales are usually on Saturday's and around holidays.

plainolebill
01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
I bought a 22" widescreen monitor from Newegg last year and I kind of wish I had bought a standard aspect ratio 19". I don't watch movies on the computer so I'd rather have the extra real estate up and down.

raybo
01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
I bought a 22" widescreen monitor from Newegg last year and I kind of wish I had bought a standard aspect ratio 19". I don't watch movies on the computer so I'd rather have the extra real estate up and down.

That's understandable, but, I work in Excel so much the added width is great for reducing the amount of scrolling required, to see as much data as possible. It's great for doing split windows, in Excel also, which I do quite frequently with my personal PPs view and selected pacelines summary view.

wilderness
01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
there's a site named "computer sales-circular" which offers the current sales for many items (computer, household electronics and more that is superb. Updated weekly to reflect current sales.

Pick your state.
Pick your category and product.

HUSKER55
01-20-2010, 03:34 AM
I was at Best Buy the other day and they have a HP all in one for $490. It is the computer and monitor all in one. Included a touch screen that was really nice. Had windows7 on the display.

I would have gotten it but I replaced my optical drive and added 4 gigs of ram for $150 so I am set for at least another year

As for monitors I have 2 Samsong 21" flat monitors. I wish I had gotton the next step up. Bigger is better. they work really nice Dell has them on sale every now and then.

Best
Husker55
:)

hcap
01-20-2010, 06:18 AM
I recently bought one of these from Staples. Got very lucky on Black Friday-day after Thanksgiving.
Walked into a local Staples at 10 am and walked out with the monitor for $87. At that time list price was $190
Although it is out of stock right now online, do a search ( on their website) for it at local Staples stores.

I have found Staples a pretty decent retail source. Better than Best Buy.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=824688&cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Electronics%253EComputer_Monitors-_-E211H_BMD______-824688

Dave Schwartz
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

why?

Snag got it mostly right. Great return policy - no questions asked for a month and 6 months if it fails.

In addition, the prices are great. I saw a couple of 24" monitors there for around $229 a week ago. Check out the website. BTW, you can use a credit card on the website and if you have to return it, you take it to the store and they'll even refund the shipping!

Dave

CBedo
01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I have dual 27 inch Samsungs that are amazing. You can buy them with or without a HD tuner. If you watch Fry's and other spots, you'll find them on sale from time to time.

judd
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
27 inch ? quite large dont you think :confused:

jonnielu
01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
27 inch ? quite large dont you think :confused:

23" Acer - H233H - HDMI ready, comes with all cables - $149 sale at BestBuy.

jdl

Tom
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
You guys got me drooling.
Time for a shopping trip.

raybo
01-21-2010, 07:00 AM
You guys got me drooling.
Time for a shopping trip.

LOL !!!

Me too and I just bought a new 22", dangit!!

Bigger is definitely better, in the case of monitors. I used to run 3 monitors off my desktop, now just one.

delayjf
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Was stroling around Fry's the other day and saw something I had not seen before that looked interesting - a computer system with dual monitors. I know you can connect two monitors to a computer but I had never seen one set up right out of the box.

CBedo
02-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Was stroling around Fry's the other day and saw something I had not seen before that looked interesting - a computer system with dual monitors. I know you can connect two monitors to a computer but I had never seen one set up right out of the box.It's been so long since I ran less than 2 (sometimes 3) monitors, I have forgotten what it's like. Even sitting here on my laptop, I have it running it's screen as well as one of my 27 inchers. With the price of monitors falling all the time, dual monitor systems are definitely worth taking a look.

delayjf
02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Since I've never done it, What do you need to run two or more monitors?

DJofSD
02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Jeff, Wiki is always a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor

Basically, you need to have a video board that can have two monitors connected to it. For laptops, the video circuitry has to be able to support a dual monitor set up. I would guess that most laptops (except for the entry level models) can support two displays now a days: the built in LCD display and an external monitor.

raybo
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Since I've never done it, What do you need to run two or more monitors?

Most newer PCs have more than 1 monitor connector. Just make sure that the monitor you get for the 2nd monitor has a matching connector, otherwise you'll have to try to find an adapter to convert the connectors and sometimes you lose video quality when you use an adapter, if it works at all.

delayjf
02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
DJ, Raybo, thanks for the info, I would think this kind of set up would be popular with gamers especially something like a flight simulator.

CBedo
02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
DJ, Raybo, thanks for the info, I would think this kind of set up would be popular with gamers especially something like a flight simulator.For sure. It's also very useful for many other things:

Online poker where you can put 10-16 tables up on one monitor and still have up database and other useful information on the other.

A personal OTB where you can put up multiple video streams and tote information on one monitor and pdfs, excel spreadsheets and other news on the other monitor.

Plain old work, where you can have spreadsheet and other documents on one screen with multiple browser windows on the other.

Etc, etc.