PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred Racing and Public Interest

Steve R
01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
For all who believe the Rachel Alexandra-Zenyatta rivalry will revive public interest in racing, note that today's online edition of the Houston Chronicle has no mention of the HotY vote under sports highlights on the home page and lists it as the 15th top story on the actual sports page, right below "Cowboys indicate Phillips will return for 2010." The last time I looked, Houston actually had a Thoroughbred track.

Show Me the Wire
01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
So what. There is something called "marketing" if done properly appropriate interest would be generated.

People have lost interest in horse racing for a number of reasons. The horse lost its physical connection to people and its gambling entertainment value during the same time frame.

Probably, first and foremost there is the actual physical disconnect form the horse. The horse up to the recent past had daily interaction with people. Sadly, within the last 40 + years or so this daily interaction between people and the companion animal ended. In addition to the diminishing importance of horse in our daily lifestyle a proliferation of competing legalized forms of gambling, opened up a second front of attack on the usefullnes of horses.

Good marketing can refurbish the entertainmnet value.

levinmpa
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I started a thread similar to this a couple of hours ago(Main Stream Sports Media Ignores HOY News) mentioning the HOY announcement is nowhere to found on the front page of the most popular mainstream American sports web sites espn.com, cbssportsline.com, sportingnews.com, and foxsports.com. No respect.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65851