PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream Sports Media Ignores HOY News

levinmpa
01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I read the forums, racing related web sites, and listen to many racing radio shows. The HOY vote has been a hot topic, and they make it sound like mainstream America is somehow interested in Rachel A / Zenyatta. I think not. I hate to see this happen. In a year that racing should be at be getting some attention, it isn't.

Go to any of the major mainstream sports web sites including espn.com, cbssportsline.com, foxsports.com, sportingnews.com, and see if you see any mention of the HOY announcement in the headlines on the front page. I can't it. Perhaps if you dig around, you'll find it, but how can the HOY story not even get a mention on a mainstream sports website. We're all fans, and we all care, and it kind of hurts to see our game getting ignored. Especially this year. Maybe a Rachel A vs Zenyatta showdown or two on the ovals will change things, but right now, mainstream America has no clue about what an unbelievable 2009 we all experienced. If it ain't football, baseball or basketball, the mainstream doesn't get the news.

MickJ26
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
ESPN interrupted their college basketball hightlights for five minutes to show the reading of HOY and Jess's speech. That's all we're gonna get.

W2G
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
It's a front page top story on CNN/SI.

But yes, completely ignored elsewhere.

WinterTriangle
01-19-2010, 03:48 PM
It's a front page top story on CNN....

Yes, CNN covered it nicely.

Many news stations leave their viewers in the dark when it comes to vital news.

So, I see "Fair and Balanced" didn't cover it? :D

tzipi
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Horse racing(Except Derby,possible Trip crown) gets no ratings and network channels have dropped it so many times over the years. Skateboarding and Poker have gotten better ratings they have said. So I guess the regular media just leaves it alone, except for horse media and us, the ones who care.

letswastemoney
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
You should be used to this by now. Mainstream media only covers Kentucky Derby.

Steve R
01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
You should be used to this by now. Mainstream media only covers Kentucky Derby.
So why is it that many folks here believe the Rachel Alexandra-Zenyatta rivalry will fire up public interest in the sport in ways we haven't seen in decades?

tzipi
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
So why is it that many folks here believe the Rachel Alexandra-Zenyatta rivalry will fire up public interest in the sport in ways we haven't seen in decades?

I dont think public interest. I think it meant all the racing fans that exist and dont really go anymore or lost a bit of interest. The racing public.

Moyers Pond
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
It should be ignored. It is a joke of an award decided by voters, not decided on the racetrack.

People don't care about horse racing because they know what a joke of a sport it has become.

tzipi
01-19-2010, 07:06 PM
It should be ignored. It is a joke of an award decided by voters, not decided on the racetrack.

People don't care about horse racing because they know what a joke of a sport it has become.

:lol: Boohoo
Did you kick and scream when Awesome Again lost HOY in 1998 when Awesome Again went undefeated in AND beat Skip Away,Silver Charm,Touch Gold,Gentlemen,etc in the BC Classic? I thinks not. Nobody said a word there I'm sure. It's HOY not horse of 1 race.

So if they gave HOY to a horse based on one race in a year,all would be right in racing? :D

Greyfox
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
There is another thread here entitled "Racing's Biggest Problem."
Lack of media coverage except for the Triple Crown and the Breeders' Cup
has to rank right up there with whatever problems are being identified on that thread. Of course as I've said before, as long as horse racing keeps insisting on running the Triple Crown in a short 5 week window, what else can it expect from the media during the other 47 weeks of the year?
Poor Marketing = Low Media attention.
Cripes some days even the fledgling LaCrosse League gets more ink. Go figure.

46zilzal
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
The public perceptio of racing, amongst other things, is that it is cruel, full of cheaters who are getting caught with illegal drugs, out of date as a vehicle for betting (too slow for the ADHD crowd) and too complicated to learn and anyone associated with it is just a little crooked themselves.

Newspaper and TV coverage does not do a thing to change that image.

OntheRail
01-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Mo Po... if it's such a JOKE of an AWARD why are you so pissed off about it. I'm quite sure if Zen had won it would of been a validation of her greatness... you would of been YELLING SEE SEE I TOLD YOU SO!!!. But being it went to the Super Filly it's a Joke... Rrright. :rolleyes:

;) And it was decided on the track... might not of been head to head but the PPs held the truth of 09.

Greyfox
01-19-2010, 07:26 PM
The public perceptio of racing, amongst other things, is that it is cruel, full of cheaters who are getting caught with illegal drugs, out of date as a vehicle for betting (too slow for the ADHD crowd) and too complicated to learn and anyone associated with it is just a little crooked themselves.

I agree with your assessment of public perception of the game.
I disagree with your final comment that Newspaper and TV coverage can't change that image.
I still believe "the pen is mightier than the sword" has merit.
It works elsewhere. It can work with racing. Public perceptions can be changed, albeit slowly.
But you're right in the sense that the seedy side of the game has to be changed as well. You're also right in that those with short attention spans will find greater appeal with other forms of gambling. Lessons in this game cost money.

levinmpa
01-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I suppose I thought that since this was such an unusual year, with a filly and mare up for the HOY award, it might at least get a headline on some of the mainstream sports sites. I don't remember HOY being so hottly debated, but then again, it's only us debating it, not Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon.

samyn on the green
01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
This is a good analysis. I have posted about racing in general interest message boards like this that are very busy and one of two things happen.

The topic is completely ignored as nobody cares.
People come out in droves and take turns attacking racing as a cruel sport that is all about greedy rich people and disgusting gambling degenerates. The public perceptio of racing, amongst other things, is that it is cruel, full of cheaters who are getting caught with illegal drugs, out of date as a vehicle for betting (too slow for the ADHD crowd) and too complicated to learn and anyone associated with it is just a little crooked themselves.

chickenhead
01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
the sportstalk radio guys here in the Bay Area were talking about Rachel and Zenyatta tonight, not about HOY specifically, but general excitement over getting to see them race against each other this year...

Valuist
01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Would it be better for racing if Rachel and Zenyatta were to meet in the Apple Blossom and a sleeper upset both of them? I think it would.

levinmpa
01-20-2010, 07:27 AM
the sportstalk radio guys here in the Bay Area were talking about Rachel and Zenyatta tonight, not about HOY specifically, but general excitement over getting to see them race against each other this year...

That's good to hear. I used to listen to mainstream sportstalk all the time. I haven't for about the last 5 years when I discovered so many racing and sports gambling related radio shows on the internet. Now I just plug my MP3 player into my car audio system, and I get to listen to what I want. It's amazing how much more knowledgeable gamblers are about things compared to the mainstream types. Not about the off the field stuff, but breaking down games or races. I know Mike Francesca on WFAN used to talk racing occasionally, but this was usually during the Triple Crown or Breeders' Cup weeks. He's a horse owner and has always had an interest in the game. For the most part, the average host with a sportstalk show has no understanding and no interest in our game.

I guess it's the simple question of whether racing isn't covered in the mainstream due to lack of interest, or is there lack of interest because it's not covered?

jballscalls
01-20-2010, 09:08 AM
There has been good local coverage here. both the Oregonian covered it, and on the local sports channel, they had me on for 5 minutes on monday to talk about the award and debate it.

i was shocked, because the Oregonian never covers racing

FenceBored
01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Would it be better for racing if Rachel and Zenyatta were to meet in the Apple Blossom and a sleeper upset both of them? I think it would.

Better? No, but it would be funny, in a Alanis Morrisette 'ironic' kind of way.

Jackal
01-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Until I donated a "Zenyatta - Girl Power" poster to our local stable, only one member had heard of Zenyatta. I have yet to see anything about the Eclipse awards on a non-horse racing channel. I don't think the mainstream media is covering horse racing at all.

Going back to our local stable. Everyone was pleased "mixed up" won the steeplechase award. But I think they bet on "spy in the sky" Funny thing is our stable members will drive for hours and pay $100 to get in the gate to see a good steeplechase.

They have heard of Rachel Alexandra and plan to see her if she races in driving distance.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2010, 11:51 PM

People don't care about horse racing because they know what a joke of a sport it has become.Perhaps you should follow their lead?