PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Job in the World??

sq764
06-22-2003, 01:16 PM
I always thought handicapping for a living would be the best job ever. Doing what you enjoy doing as your everyday job.

But I have recently realized (as I bought a house and got married) that it has to be a very tough way of life. I get pissed when I lose a photo on a big exacta or trifecta, but that is money on the side. I coudn't imagine the agony if that was the rent money for the month. Couldn't do it.

I really think I wouldn't enjoy betting or even horseracing nearly as much if I did it as my primary source of income.

And those who can do it and have the nerves of steel and the perserverence to overcome the tough beats, I salute you!

ranchwest
06-22-2003, 11:10 PM
If you're going to agonize over the one that got away, handicapping is probably not a very good career choice. It really takes the total discipline to know that the needed score is just around the corner and to have the ability to make it happen.

dav4463
06-23-2003, 12:51 AM
I was reading through "Commonsense Handicapping" by Dick Mitchell recently. It used to give me inspiration that "it can be done!". Then I read another thread that says Dick Mitchell is divorced and teaching math and not even betting anymore. Boy , talk about a downer ! In his book he talks about his great wife, his "see you in the short line" betting philosophy, etc. Time to find another "hero" I guess ! Or even better......become your own "hero" !

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2003, 04:41 AM
If one was a professional horseplayer, a bad beat should not affect you in the least. If it does, you won't be a professional for long, since your money management skills put you in the position to fear the big bad beat.

Professionals become pros only after they KNOW what will happen in the long run (and by LONG RUN, I mean over the course of a few weeks or months.)

They know a bad beat will be eventually followed up by the win or wins that will put them back on pace to make their desired income.

Professionals can not AFFORD fear.

Kentucky Bred
06-23-2003, 07:25 AM
I have learned that the mental part of the game EXCEEDS the handicapping part of the game in importance.

Fulltime players must be constantly searching for value. That usually means getting a decent price. I'm sure somebody somewhere has created a method that wins using short priced horses over the long haul but I've never seen it.

Those going after prices means you could face some LONG runouts. You begin to question and re-question everything you do. You begin to skip a few plays because they aren't the very best. And then your win comes. There aren't too many ways to make up for a $38 horse that you should have bet but didn't.

Then you have the social part of the game. Do you go to the track on a regular basis? Do you tell others about your plays or keep them to yourself? Do you stay at home with TVG and sit in front of the computer all day? What do you tell your friends that you do for a living? How supportive is your immediate family? What do your kids think you do to make money?

If you are making 100K per year handicapping ponies it all may be worth it. But the damn vigorish that is imposed on horse players is simply criminal. If we were charged the same 5% that football players are charged, imagine how many more players could make a full time commitment or add to their income with strong parttime play. Most people, if they do not have a clear grasp on mathematics, do not have any idea the enormous difference it makes to have 5% of the pool taken out before distribution versus nearly 20% or greater.

In Europe, the advent of Player-to-Player (P2P) betting has certainly created an explosion in "fulltime" bettors from what I have read. However, just getting the juice down to a acceptable level still means that you must deal with all the other reasons expressed above.

In America, truly successful fulltime handicapping is simply a myth for all but a handful of people across the country. The difference between those that successfully do it versus those who fantasize about it is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Kentucky Bred

Suff
06-23-2003, 08:20 AM
I don't think I'm anywhere near good enough or even understand how I would ever be a complete professional player. But I think I'm a pretty fair Handicapper and bright enough that if it were a goal of mine.....I could probably be ready inside of 2 years and I'd give it a good run.

But with that said. Horse racing is a Profitable hobby for me now. Although even if it were to cost me 5 grand a year I'd still do it for the tremendous pleasure I get out of it.

Candidly.

I'm a Union Contractor. And depending on how much overtime I do...I make 65-85 Grand a year. That is not HUGE money in an expensive city like Boston. Its a Living wage. My Monthy NUT to keep me in house and home is close to 2 grand. So on my weekly paycheck I have just enough to pay the bills and maybe $200 bucks a week for play money.

But my Horse profits supplement my wages and alllow me to live a higher quality of life. I'm at a healthy profit through 6 months of 2003 and heres how Horse's have affected my life.

Horses bought me my Dell Computer I got Saturday.

Horses allowed me to send $500 towards my Niece's Tuition at her private school. Its $3800 a year and My Sister is Divorced and struggles to make a Good life fo rher Kids. I could help Out.

Horses bought me my New Sony Home Stereo I bought at Best Buy a Couple of weeks ago.

I threw $300 in card with TWO authentic MLB Infant outfits to my baby Sister who just had her first KID and is Buying a House with my Brother -in-law. I know kids are expensive I figure they could use the 3 BEANS right now. I cold help out.

I have $2000 worth of Cottages PREPAID for the TRAVERS and LABOR DAY weekend at SARATOGA this year.

I Bought 200 shares of PLayboy at 12.00 three months ago.

My checking account is FLUSH.

Its very very nice to have an exta $1000 to $2000 a month in Cash. and on Average thats what I'm making in 2003.

THERE is now way any of this can happen on 60 grand a year in BOSTON.

Kentucky Bred
06-23-2003, 08:49 AM
..."The greatest part-time job in America!".

Kentucky Bred

WINMANWIN
06-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Way to go SUFF... I learned many years ago, when one hits, It's so wise to BUY or Give, something back, My experiences LATELY
have been 1 horror nightmare after another playing these steeds.
In the past mths, I have had multiple chances for many $$$$
and came up empty with 2 of 3 and 3 of 4 in pik 3's and 4's.
It's like, Maybe this time, But I just keep crying the blues with
tuff beats and stomach turning outcomes. Yesterday, I have 3 of 4 in the pik 4, only to lose in a 5 horse field, where I threw
out Frankels steed, and have the 2 faves and get beat by an 8 to 1 shot. The pik 4 was several thousand. Today, Im alive 3 deep
in the last for multiple thousands,and the steed who beats me
possibly impedes my horse in deep stretch, and the # stays up.
I didnt see the head on, These einsteins at nyc otb switched tracks, and never showed the stewards inquiry.The winner, In my opinion impeded the horse, the jock did take up, but it stood.In the race prior, I got put up, deservedly so, and said, Two put up's in 1 day, No way my luck is that good....AND IT'S NOT......IN the
long run, This game is GUT WRENCHING, and not to much fun.
I personally would never tell anyone to get involved betting
these steeds, cause If they do, seriously. Ulcers, and heart failure
are in the future..........
:mad:

JustRalph
06-28-2003, 03:18 AM
The first nice ticket I cashed was 50 across on a 24-1 shot that stalked and won going away. I walked with 2grand and smiled for a couple of days. I didn't cash a ticket for the next 48 races I played. Luckily I didn't give it all back, but it wasn't much fun. You have to know when to take that break.

Two weeks back I am cashing 20 dollar tickets on 48 dollar horses and this last week I am getting killed. Break Time!

I have one signer this year, last year at this time I had 6. I am playing much less. But I don't know if I want to play more, at least not in this slump. It all goes with the game.........When I start grinding my teeth, I throw the form in the trash and find something else to do for a while. Give it a try. :cool:

JustRalph
06-28-2003, 03:19 AM
see above

I have no idea why it posted twice.............

VetScratch
06-28-2003, 09:36 AM
In 1999, one of my Dad's employers was on a pace to average one W2-G per day for the year. He got ill and missed four weeks in November-December, ending up with 308 W2-Gs.

His profit? Only 37K after taxes, which he saw none of until he got Federal/State refunds and spent over 1k with his tax accountant.

When it was all said and done, just two of his big W2-Gs covered his gross (before taxes) for the year, and he put in so many hours that he earned less than $20/hour. He died in 2001.

I suspect a lot of exotic players have to depend on their refunds to stay alive from year to year!