PDA

View Full Version : ALL DATA Free

Pages : 1 [2]

raybo
11-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I am going to run all of yesterday's races through RS and see how it did for the whole card, I was really only interested in the Classic, although I did get interested in another race, forget which one right now, but it hit a good priced winner (one of the turf races I think).

Chris, did you turn off "variable time per beaten length multipliers" or change/disable the variant ranges, in the "Pace Ratings" view on the AllData sheet? I noticed our velocities are a little different in both "FV" and "Avg Fv & IV". Those 2 things are the only things that could cause that.

DeltaLover
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Is there any documentation for this software?

DeltaLover
11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Is there any documentation for this software?

Noone cares to answer ???? :confused:

raybo
11-05-2012, 10:44 AM
The documentation for this question was presented in the help documents for "AllData PPs" and AllData NI", etc., the free AllData Project workbooks.

AllData RS was designed as a "black box", ie. use it as it is, therefore I never sent that documentation to RS users.

RS does not utilize the "Summaries" views for its data and that is what the "variable beaten lengths multipliers", and the "track variant ranges", were originally designed for, the ability to change how the processing is done.

In RS, the program was designed to use "as is", click it and forget it.

However, changing either of those 2 things does change the way adjusted fractional times are calculated, and therefore, the way the fractional velocities are calculated. So, if you change either of them then the velocities will be calculated differently and they will not match, exactly, the velocities that others are getting that leave them alone.

These things are covered in the following document in the "Race Ratings View" section, down the page a bit: AllData J1 - Instructions (http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---instructions.html)

raybo
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
To answer your question, I assume regarding the RS black box program's documentation, yes, there are several instructional documents available, all available upon request. They do not exist "on the web" per se, as a precaution against reverse engineering the RS workbook's processes and methods. RS users, who, other than the original beta testers, paid for the workbook, don't want the RS program's methods or picks available to everyone out there, for obvious reasons, namely the picks produced by the program and the prices we receive on those picks, which can be very, very high.

Yes, from time to time, usually in specific races, I and other users do post picks from the RS program, but almost universally, those picks are ignored by players that do not already own the program. Most players don't believe it is possible to create a "black box" program that produces long term profit. And, if they become convinced or at least interested in the possibility, they contact me for more info, and/or purchase the program.

The picks I post on the PA forum, are for promotional purposes, for the RS program. Some of the reason I post those picks are "selfish" regarding my making a little money selling the program, but, mostly to show that it is possible to create programs that can do what RS does, produce long term profit, while selecting horses that the vast majority of players think can't win. I think those postings have shown that to be the case, time after time, usually in the big races that many seem to think are the only races that count. Of course, that is not the case, RS produces profits at all kinds of tracks and all kinds of races. The ability to pre-test tracks, for profit potential, within the program, is as far as I know, makes RS about the only programs that makes that possible.

If you are interested in RS, simply email me and I will send you the documentation for the program, by email.

My email is: rbaker0527@gmail.com

DeltaLover
11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks, this link does not answer my question though... I would like to know what are the data you are presenting, what they are expressing, if and how they are normalized, what is their source (meaning is a simple drf file enough or we need a database or some downloads of some custom figures in a daily base ) and how it could have been possible to use them to a betting simulator to have an idea about their performance...

raybo
11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks, this link does not answer my question though... I would like to know what are the data you are presenting, what they are expressing, if and how they are normalized, what is their source (meaning is a simple drf file enough or we need a database or some downloads of some custom figures in a daily base ) and how it could have been possible to use them to a betting simulator to have an idea about their performance...

I'll send you some documentation on the RS program, by email. But, I need your email address, as you have selected to not allow emailing you from this forum. Send your email to: rbaker0527@gmail.com

DeltaLover
11-05-2012, 12:05 PM
please check your PM

raybo
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
please check your PM

Got it, and sent you an email. Let me know if you have any further questions.

raybo
11-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, Delta Downs picked up right where it left off last meet. So far, the RS primary black box method is at 1.58 ROI, with 39 races played from 12 cards.

I've been waiting for this meet since the OP meet ended, RS handled both tracks, in their last meets, extremely well.

Delta is pretty settled down now, so I'll be playing it every day it runs, starting next week!

Good luck to those of you who have discovered this little track, with the big payouts!!

PS: OP starts Jan 12th!!

raybo
11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Here's the summary report for DeD thus far in the meet, through Nov 15th. I'm also posting the big hit Thursday night.

raybo
12-08-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm starting a basic Excel tutorial, for those of you who have no knowledge of Excel, or have limited knowledge of Excel. At present, the tutorial is on my forum, because it would take up a whole bunch of space here (screenshots and explanations, etc.) and I'm not sure Mike (PA) would like that. But, I could do it here just as easily.

There are many Excel tutorials on the web, but the ones I have seen assume the reader is not a beginner. My tutorial will assume no knowledge, other than being able to open Excel on your computer. You can also post questions and suggestions directly in the tutorial thread, unlike the online tutorials.

keenang
12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
When is it going to start?

Thanks Gene

raybo
12-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Gene,

I've already started it.

PaceAdvantage
12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm starting a basic Excel tutorial, for those of you who have no knowledge of Excel, or have limited knowledge of Excel. At present, the tutorial is on my forum, because it would take up a whole bunch of space here (screenshots and explanations, etc.) and I'm not sure Mike (PA) would like that. Don't mind at all...

raybo
12-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Very cool Mike!! I'll post a few screenshots to start and you can look at the overhead, regarding server space, etc., and let me know.

raybo
12-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm going to start a basic Excel tutorial, for those who have either not used Excel before, or have limited knowledge of Excel. I will start with the basics and progress to more advanced usage in the future. If you have questions please post them in this thread.

The first screenshot shows the basic objects in Excel, and most spreadsheet applications. These are the basic building blocks used in the creation of spreadsheets. You'll learn how to use them as we go on.

raybo
12-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Cells are used as storage for text, numbers, formulas (which can be used to reference other cells, perform mathematical calculations, etc..). The contents of cells can be very simple or very complex, and can display things in many different formats, like dates and times (in a variety of date and times styles), fractional numbers, decimal numbers, currencies (in a variety of styles), percentages, etc..

We can manually enter values in cells or they can be copied and pasted into them, or they can come from other cells by referencing those cells, and they can be entered by the use of macros, either recorded macros or hand written macros (programming code recognized by Excel which perform certain actions on certain cells, etc., by simply running the recorded or written macro, which allows the automation of repetitive tasks and things that can't be accomplished in other ways)

Let's start the use of cells by typing a number in one. Just left click a cell and type a number in it, then enter it via the "Enter" key on your keyboard, or, by clicking a green checkmark that appears to the left of the text/formula bar.

raybo
12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Now that we have entered a value in a cell, let's enter another value, in another cell, and then use those 2 values to get another value, in another cell. So, we'll enter another number on cell "B1" and then perform an addition calculation of the values in cell A1 and B1, and show that addition result, or sum, in cell "D1".

raybo
12-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Here's the result of the formula I entered in cell D1.

raybo
12-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Let's add another formula, in cell E1, that subtracts the value in cell A1 from the value in cell B1.

raybo
12-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Here's what we have so far.

raybo
12-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Next time, I'll show you how we can spice up what we have, to add descriptions of the data, and some cell formatting to add "pop", and separation/grouping to the different types of data.

dkithore
12-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Raybo,

Thanks for lessons.

raybo
12-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Raybo,

Thanks for lessons.

My pleasure! I hope you got my email about merging your worksheets, and that you can give me more specifics so we can both learn. If I don't have the answer, I'll certainly research it.

raybo
12-10-2012, 07:10 AM
The next section of the tutorial will deal with "formatting". We can do lots of things to cells, and their contents, that make them mean more to us, and better define their contents/values.

With that in mind, the first thing I'll do is show you how to view various "toolbars" that make it easier to access the tools we use for formatting.

This first screenshot shows Excel with no toolbars showing, then I'll show you how to add the toolbars that we will be using.

raybo
12-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Here is how we access the many toolbars we can select to view, making the tools easily accessible in the future.

raybo
12-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Here's the "Standard" toolbar after selecting it from the drop-down list of available toolbars. Yours may appear in a slightly different location and may have a few different tools on it, but you can move the toolbar where you want and you can add or remove tools from it.

raybo
12-10-2012, 08:10 AM
This one shows that I have added the "Formatting" toolbar below the Menu and the "Standard" toolbar. Remember, you can move these toolbars around, so if yours appears in a different place, just click the left edge of the toolbar, hold the click, and drag the toolbar wherever you want.

raybo
12-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Here is the "Borders" toolbar, which allows you to change the appearance of borders, as well as hand draw them with your mouse, or erase borders with a click of your mouse.

raybo
12-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Here's an example of a "floating" toolbar. I have dragged the "Borders" toolbar from below the Menu and Standard toolbar, down into the work area. It will stay there, unless I move it back up into the toolbars area below the Menu.

raybo
12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Ok, now that I have moved the "floating" Borders toolbar back up where it was, I'm ready to use the tools in them.

The first tool I will use is the "center" button, to center the values in all the cells that have values in them. These values are currently aligned to the right side of the cells. I want them to be centered, so I just select the cells and click the "center" button. You can select a single cell or you can select several adjacent cells and format them all at once, by first clicking in the cell to the far left and dragging to the right to the far right hand cell then release the click. This will select all the cells at once, then just click the "center" button to center their cell values, all at once.

You can also select non-adjacent cells by pressing, and holding, the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard, and then clicking each individual cell until all are selected, then release the click and the "Ctrl" key, and click the tool button you want to use.

raybo
12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Ok, now we have some raw values and some calculated values on our sheet, and we have centered the values in their respective cells. But, what do the values represent? If I showed this sheet to someone, they would have to guess at what the values are. So, we need to define the values, so we can just glance at them and know exactly what they are. We do this defining, by labeling the values. We could simply type a label below each value, but if we wanted to add additional values, of the same kind, we would have a label in the middle of our values. Not good, especially if you're talking about values for 10 or 12 pacelines, which is common to many horse racing programs' displays. So, how about we add the labels above the values we have, then add more values below them? To do this we need to move the values down 1 row. This is how we move cells/values. Note: I could move each cell/value individually or I can move them all at once, by performing the previously described method for selecting several adjacent cells, then performing the move for all of them in one step. I'll move them all at once.

raybo
12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Here is what the cells/values look like after the move. Now we have room above them to type in our labels, to define each of the values.

raybo
12-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Now that we have room above the values for our labels, I will type the labels in the cells directly above their respective values, defining the values.

raybo
12-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I have decided to just widen the cells to accommodate the width of the labels. Here is how we can change the width of cells, to make them wider or narrower.

raybo
12-10-2012, 12:43 PM
This is what the labels look like after we have widened the cells/columns that were too narrow for the labels, columns B, D, and E.

raybo
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Had a doctors appointment at the V.A. today so I'll get back to this tomorrow.

raybo
12-12-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm back so I'll proceed. We have labels and a row of data, let's separate the labels from the data. I'll do that by placing a border below the labels. Here's how:

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:01 AM
After adding the border below the labels:

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Here's one way to remove a border, by using the erase tool on the "Borders" toolbar.

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Now let's give the labels a little character to make them stand out from the data. I'll start with bolding the font in those label cells.

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
I've chosen to change the color of the font for the labels to a dark blue, like this:

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Here are the labels, after bolding and changing the color of their font:

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
To separate the 2 pices of raw data, I'll add a light vertical border between cells A1:A2 and B1:B2 (by the way, the colon sign ":" means "through" and is used in writing formulas, and VBA macro code, to show a cell "range" rather than a single cell).

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Next, I'll group the raw data to separate it from the calculated data:

raybo
12-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Ok, I've followed the same steps, for the calculated data, that I did for the raw data, separating the 2 sets of calculated values, then grouped them together. Here's what the finished groupings look like:

raybo
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
At this time I'm going to show you a shortcut that will speed up your work, it utilizes the right button on your mouse, rather than the left button we use for selecting cells.

raybo
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Here is the pop-up window that appeared after I clicked/selected the "Format Cells" option in the drop-down list. We have many categories for various formatting of cells, and many options for each of those categories. So we could have accomplished much of what we have done so far, simply by right clicking cells, or selected cell ranges, and choosing categories and their options.

raybo
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
In this screenshot I show that I have selected cells A2 through E2, and right clicked that range of cells and selected "Format Cells" and the "Number" tab, and the "Number" category, as well as 2 decimal places.

SuitedAces
12-14-2012, 02:27 AM
Greetings:

Very timely thread to get us newbies going for a fast start to the new year. Have subscribed and will be eagerly following.

A little off topic...is the DRF PP's the same as the Bris PP's?

Thanks
SA

raybo
12-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Greetings:

Very timely thread to get us newbies going for a fast start to the new year. Have subscribed and will be eagerly following.

A little off topic...is the DRF PP's the same as the Bris PP's?

Thanks
SA

No, they aren't the same. The raw data is, but that's about it. As far as AllData is concerned, only Brisnet single file format data files, or JCapper/HDW data files are accepted by the various AllData workbooks.

raybo
12-14-2012, 03:59 PM
My better half suffered some serious burns, a couple of days ago, so I might be a little "out of pocket" for a few days. But I will get back to this tutorial as soon as possible.

raybo
12-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm going to add some data and labels to what we have already, for the next portion of the tutorial. Here's what I did.

raybo
12-14-2012, 10:13 PM
For the RS users, get your Oaklawn workbooks updated for the start of the new meet in January.

This is a great paying track, at least with RS, even better than Delta!

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2012, 12:56 AM
My better half suffered some serious burns, a couple of days ago, so I might be a little "out of pocket" for a few days. But I will get back to this tutorial as soon as possible.Thanks for all that you're doing here, and let me say I hope your better feels better soon!

raybo
12-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all that you're doing here, and let me say I hope your better feels better soon!

Thank you Mike! If you've ever dumped a huge pot of boiling pasta onto you, from the waste down, then you have an idea of how she feels. We took her to the Parkland Burn Center in Dallas, and they did all the work on her. Mostly 2nd degree burns but a couple of spots were deeper. She's on antibiotics, and some pretty strong pain meds, and of course we have to keep her burns clean, and then salved and wrapped. It's a rather demanding situation, but we'll make it through somehow.

Thanks again!

Tom
12-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Soory to hear about your "better." Hope she feels better.
And I echo PA, thanks for all your contributions to the board!:ThmbUp:

raybo
12-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Soory to hear about your "better." Hope she feels better.
And I echo PA, thanks for all your contributions to the board!:ThmbUp:

Thanks Tom, much appreciated!!

raybo
12-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Here's what the worksheet looks like after adding 2 new labels, and some more data, for 8 horses. Next, I will show you how to copy the 2 calculation formulas we already have, pasting them downward ,for the other 7 horses in this race.

raybo
12-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Ok, before I show you how to copy and paste formulas, let's cover some Excel theory, regarding this.

Formulas that don't include cell references, copy and paste exactly the same as the original formula, thus, "=15+3" remains "=15+3" no matter where you copy the formula to.

Formulas that contain "cell references" fall into 2 categories: 1. those that contain "relative" cell references. 2. those that contain "absolute" cell references.

1. "Relative" cell references are relative to their location, their column and row intersection. So, a formula like "=A1+B1" contains 2 "relative" cell references, A1 and B1. Let's say that that formula is in cell C1, and you copy it and then paste it in cell D1, the formula will change to "=B1+C1", because you copied from column C to column D, 1 column to the right. The "relative" cell references will increment 1 column to the right. Excel assumes that if you have relative cell references in a formula ,and you copy and paste it to another cell, then you want the formula to change, "relative" to it's new column and row location. Likewise, if you instead copied the formula to cell C2, the formula would become "=B2+C2", both the column reference and the row reference would increment, because you pasted 1 column to the right and 1 row downward.

2. "Absolute" cell references are not relative to their column and row location. They do not change as you copy them, no matter where you paste them to. So, using the above original formula above, we can make 1 or both of the cell references "absolute" by adding a "$" sign before the column or the row, or both, which will cause the portion of the cell reference that contains the beginning "$" sign, remain the same. So, if we changed the original formula to "=$A1+$B1" and then copied it to cell D1, the formula would remain "=$A1+$B1" because we changed the column references to "absolute" references and remained on the same row. If we pasted it instead to cell D2, the formula would become "=$A2+$B2" because the column references were "absolute" while the row references were still "relative", and the row references would change by 1 row downward. If we changed the original formula to "=$A$1+$B$1", then no matter where we pasted it to, it would remain exactly the same "=$A$1+$B$1", because both the column references and the row references were "absolute" references.

So if you want the column or the row to change with location, then don't add the "$" sign before that column letter or row number. If you don't want the column or row to change with location, then add the "$" before the column letter or row number. You can mix and match relative and absolute column and row references, in your formulas, any way you like.

If any of this is confusing, please ask for clarification so I can address it, now. This is very important stuff!!

raybo
12-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Ok, no questions so I assume most understand the difference between "relative" and "absolute" cell references. Now, regarding copying and pasting the 2 calculation formulas we have already in place.

The formulas in cells F2 and G2 contain "relative" cell references. In other words, when we copy and paste them downward, for the other 7 horses listed, those cell references will change, for each change in the row we paste it to.

The formulas, as they appear in F2 and G2, are only valid for that first horse's data. But, rather than rewriting that formula for the other 7 horses' data, we can just copy the formulas in F2 and G2, containing only "relative" cell references, and simply paste them on the remaining 7 rows, below them.

Here's one way of doing that, the copy portion first:

raybo
12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Now, the pasting portion. We could paste the formula in each individual cell below it, doing that 7 times to accomplish the task. But, it is much easier, and quicker, to paste into all 7 cells, in one shot. Here's how:

raybo
12-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Here's the next step:

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
And, after the final step:

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
And finally, the final result of the multiple cell copy/paste operation:

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:26 PM
A really quick way of copying and pasting:

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
This one shows the small square handle you can click and drag to do the paste operation.

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:35 PM
After the click, hold and drag step:

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:39 PM
The final result of this method of copying and pasting. It's the same result as the other method.

raybo
12-16-2012, 08:54 PM
After the formatting, which is the same that we did in the original formatting steps, except I made room for 20 horses per race. More "stuff" to come!

raybo
12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Let's expound on this some. Let's suppose that for certain kinds of races, or distances or surfaces, or tracks, etc., the Prime Power figure is not as important as our Speed figure. And, suppose that, from whatever source, we have determined that the degree of importance in those races is only 72% (0.72). I call this a "multiplier" (we could, of course, have more than 1 multiplier, for use with any of the possible race anomalies, but I won't go into that in this one). So, we need some more calculations to display those new numbers, for each horse. Notice that the "multiplier" only appears in cell E2, but we need to use it for all possible horses in a race, so we can't use it as a "relative" cell reference, because we will be multiplying by zero in some cells, due to the empty cells below cell E2, and we know that relative cell references increment as we paste formulas left, right, upward, or downward. So we have to use an "absolute" cell reference in our new formulas. Here's the new stuff I have added.

raybo
12-17-2012, 09:34 PM
This one shows the first new formula, containing the "absolute" cell reference. I'll show the 2nd new one in the next shot.

raybo
12-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Here's the same shot showing the second new formula, in cell I2. I've already copied it down, using the "absolute" cell reference, as before, so that the row number doesn't increment as we paste downward.

We'll tackle getting rid of all those useless zeros in the next section.

raybo
12-17-2012, 10:53 PM
This next section involves the use of an Excel function that I use, probably, more than any other function. This is the "IF" function, or statement. "IF" functions/statements, in our formulas, allow us to force Excel to make decisions for us. As you can imagine, in horse racing, thousands of decisions must be made daily. The use of these "IF" finctions/statements speed up these decisions allowing us much more time to using the data, rather than just manipulating the data, as done by most pen and paper handicappers, marking up their PPs, doing math formulas by hand, and ultimately making mistakes and errors. Excel will not ever make a mistake, if you have created your spreadsheet properly and accurately, from the beginning. It never makes a math error, it never makes the wrong decision, and it is not vulnerable to any outside forces, crowd noise, other distractions, stress, etc., etc.. If you manipulate data by hand, long enough, you will, for sure, eventually make errors in basic math and decisions. Excel never makes those errors.

So, I'm going to go back to all our formulas and use an "IF" statement in each one to get rid of all the zeros that we have now, for horses that don't exist.

We need to know a couple of things in order to rewrite those formulas.

1. Blank cells contain no values. The "no value" state, in formulas, is expressed with double quotes (""), with nothing between them.

2 In an "IF" statement, there must be a "Then", and it must also have an "ELSE", in order for Excel to know what to do if the "IF" portion is true, or if it's false. The "Then" and "Else" portions are separated by commas. and there is always an open parenthesis after the "IF" and a close parenthesis after the whole statement.

I know all this seems really complex, for some, but you'll see that it isn't at all.

raybo
12-17-2012, 11:14 PM
In the next section we'll check our work for errors or omissions. We need to make sure that what works now, will continue to work, no matter what happens, or what we encounter, regarding the data we are using. This will save you a lot of time, down the road, when you find that you're getting errors for certain situations. It's much easier to fix that stuff now, rather than to have to redo days, weeks, or months of work later, because you didn't account for all possibilities in the beginning.

SuitedAces
12-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi Ray:

This view is number 315 while my first post was number 301. Can I also number my pages while documenting this tutorial? Maybe the book number can be increased. If so, how?

Thanks,
Dave

raybo
12-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Hi Ray:

This view is number 315 while my first post was number 301. Can I also number my pages while documenting this tutorial? Maybe the book number can be increased. If so, how?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

While I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, if you are wanting to save all or some of the posts in this tutorial, I would suggest that you download a screenshot program from the internet, there are many free ones available. Then you could take screenshots of each of the posts you want to save, and then you could insert them into something like MS Word or another app that allows the insertion of pictures, add your own comments, etc., and put them in the order you want them in.

Who knows, I might even do that myself sometime in the future.

Hope that addresses your questions.

raybo
12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Ok, let's continue getting rid of the zeros. Sometimes when you want Excel to make decisions, via IF statements, there is more than 1 condition that must be evaluated. In the IF that I added for column F in the previous segment, it appeared that everything was fine, all the needless zeros were gone. But, let's test it, by adding a 9th horse's program number in cell A10, without adding any other data for that horse in columns B, C, and D. So, in this screenshot I have added the program number for the 9th horse in A10. You will see in cell F10, that the zeros came back. Why is that? It is because there is no data in cells C10 and D10, and both of those cells are included in a math operation in the formula in cell F10. When you perform a math operation that references cells that are blank/empty, Excel reads those blank/empty cells as having a value of zero, so because we have a horse number, the first portion of the formula (the "IF - Then" portion) results in an answer of "false", which means that the "Else" portion of the formula must be completed by Excel, in this case by adding cell C10 to cell D10. Excel sees those 2 cells as having a value of zero, and zero plus zero equals zero, and returns the zeros in cell F10. So, how do we prevent this from happening? There are, at least, 2 ways to do that. We could add 2 more IFs to the formula we have there, to make sure there is data in cells C10 and D10, or we could accomplish the same thing by using an "OR" statement that includes all 3 conditions. I'll explain these 2 ways next.

raybo
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Why am I even worried about the dang zeros, in the first place? Because if the zeros don't mean anything, to our handicapping, they are just unneeded clutter, distracting us from the meaningful data.

Consider the following formula: =IF(A10="","",IF(C10="","",IF(D10="","",C10+D10)))

If I read it to you I would say "IF A10 equals blank, Then blank, Else, IF C10 equals blank, Then blank, Else, IF D10 equals blank, Then blank, Else, C10 plus D10)))". We now have 3 IF statements "nested" in the formula, each one evaluating the state of 3 different cells. If any of those cells are blank then the formula will result in a blank value. If all of them have data in them then the addition of the values in C10 and D10 will take place.

Why would there be no data in cells C10 and D10 anyway? What about horses that have never run a race as in maiden races. They wouldn't have a speed figure or a Prime Power figure would they. They also wouldn't have a pace figure, but this particular formula does not reference a pace figure so we don't need to evaluate the state of cell B10 at all. There are also times when the data we download and import into Excel, Brisnet data, HDW data, DRF data, etc., will have errors in it, it happens. So, we need to make sure that our formulas take those possibilities into account.

So in the next screenshot you will see that I have modified our original formula in cell F2, to include those 3 "nested" IF statements, then I copied and pasted it downward for the other 19 possible horses in a race.

Note, in the new formula that we have 3 close parenthesis at the end of it. Why 3? Because in Excel, if you have 3 open parenthesis in a formula you must also have 3 closing parenthesis, or the formula is not complete and you will receive an error message, from Excel.

raybo
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
In Excel, we can use "Logic" functions, within our formulas instead of nesting many IF functions/statements. It's quicker and, for some people, easier to understand. There are several "Logic" functions, but the 2 that you will use most often are the "AND" and "OR" logic functions.

The format for these functions are: AND(some evaluation statements) and OR(some evaluation statements)

In an "AND" statement, all the evaluations within the parenthesis must have a "true" result for that whole AND statement to result in a "true" result, otherwise the whole AND statement will result in a "false" result.

In an "OR" statement, if any of the evaluations within the parenthesis are "true", then the whole "OR" statement will result in a "true" result, otherwise the whole "OR" statement will result in a "false" result.

So, instead of using the 3 nested IF statements, as we just did, we could use 1 OR statement.

The nested IF formula, in cell F2 is: =IF(A2="","",IF(C2="","",IF(D2="","",C2+D2)))

The same formula, using 1 "OR" statement to get the same final result is: =IF(OR(A2="",C2="",D2=""),"",C2+D2)

If I read the last formula I would say: "IF A2 equals blank, OR C2 equals blank, OR D2 equals blank, Then, blank, Else, C2 plus D2. So, if any of those cells (A2,C2,D2) are blank, then we get a blank in cell F2.

Use whichever method you prefer and are comfortable with. I use both, depending on what I'm doing.

By the way, you can "nest" OR and AND statements, and mix them together, within OR and AND statements. So, you can force Excel to make lots of evaluations and decisions with a single formula!

If you have any questions or confusion, please post them so we can address them before we go on. This stuff is like Algebra 1, if you don't understand it in the beginning, you will have trouble later.

raybo
12-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Before I continue with the tutorial, a quick RS black box update for the Delta Downs meet thus far, as of 12/20/2012. Method is "FWC", and minimum odds requirement is 5/2. All data based on $2 flat bet wagering.

raybo
12-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Ok, let's move to the next column of our calculated data, column G. We must evaluate the status of the data, or lack of data, in columns A,C, and D, because missing data in any of those columns will give us zeros in column G, if we contiue using the formula we now have. Here's the shot:

raybo
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
This what we have after changing the formula in cell G2 and copying it and doing a "Paste Special" - ""Formulas" operation downward for all of the possible 20 horses we could have in a race. All the zeros we had before are now gone, which is what we want.

raybo
12-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Now, in our next column of calculated data, column H, things are a bit more complicated, because we have to check the status of cell E2, also, our multiplier. If we don't have an assigned multiplier for this type race yet, this cell will be blank. If it is blank, we want to use the full value of the Prime Power figure, rather than a percentage of it ,because we don't know what that percentage is yet, maybe we don't have enough races of this type yet, in our database or whatever we are using to determine these multipliers. So, we will have to add another IF statement that will give us 2 mathematical calculation options, depending on whether we have a multiplier yet, or not. Here's the screenshot showing the original formula in cell H2. The next shot will show the new one.

raybo
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I have changed the formula in cell H2, copied it and done a "Paste Special - Formulas" operation downward for all the possible 20 horses we could have in a race. The zeros are gone now, in column H, but we need to see what happens if there is no value in cell E2, just to make sure our additional IF statement is working properly. I'll do that next.

raybo
12-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Here's what happened when I cleared the value in cell E2. Everything works just like it should, no zeros in column H and those values now match those in column F, which is what should happen, because the formulas in column F don't reference the multiplier in cell E2, they use the full value of Prime Power, not a percentage of it.

raybo
12-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's what we have for formulas in column I. We'll do the same thing we did in column H because both reference the multiplier in cell E2.

raybo
12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I've changed the formula in I2 and copied and pasted it downward, as before. All the zeros are gone now. Next I'll check to make sure it performs correctly when there is no multiplier in cell E2.

raybo
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Ok, I cleared the multiplier in E2 and checked the values in column I. They now match those in column G, which is what should happen with no multiplier, as column G uses the full value of Prime Power, rather than a percentage of it.

So, all the formulas we have so far are working properly.

I'll figure out what to do next and then resume the tutorial.

Please, if you have questions on anything thus far, post them!!

raybo
12-21-2012, 04:03 AM
No questions? Hmmm - maybe this is too basic? Or is everyone lost?

pat
12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
No questions? Hmmm - maybe this is too basic? Or is everyone lost?
I don't know about everyone else but I'm lost, I was lost after
you added the first 2 numbers together in the first post.
I need to see the basics how to add subtract multiply and divide.
I want to know how to take information from other documents and paste it to excel
and center it in columns.
I'm more of a for instance kinda guy. such as if you want to do this,this is the way to do it.
Example. how do I find out what is 70 percent of A2 andC2. I will actually need to see how you would set that up.
Not sure if I explained myself correctly. If im the only person responding then please continue on and I will catch up by rereading posts.
Thanks for your Time, effort and all the programs you share here at PA.

raybo
12-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Pat,

I'll see what I can do about the math stuff tomorrow, been in Dallas all day.

Thanks for your feedback!!

raybo
12-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I'm lost, I was lost after
you added the first 2 numbers together in the first post.
I need to see the basics how to add subtract multiply and divide.
I want to know how to take information from other documents and paste it to excel
and center it in columns.
I'm more of a for instance kinda guy. such as if you want to do this,this is the way to do it.
Example. how do I find out what is 70 percent of A2 andC2. I will actually need to see how you would set that up.
Not sure if I explained myself correctly. If im the only person responding then please continue on and I will catch up by rereading posts.
Thanks for your Time, effort and all the programs you share here at PA.

Pat,

Here's some basic math formulas, we'll get to referencing data on other worksheets, and in other workbooks a little further down the road. Copying and pasting stuff from other "applications" can be tricky, as the formatting of that external data must be taken into consideration. Sometimes, the best you can do is paste it in Excel and then move the data around and format it to get it the way you want it. Again, something for down the road a bit.

pat
12-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks Ray that seems pretty easy.

Robert Goren
12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I have 2010 Excel. My ribbon or what ever it is called at the top of the sheet doesn't look anything like yours.

raybo
12-23-2012, 03:00 PM
I have 2010 Excel. My ribbon or what ever it is called at the top of the sheet doesn't look anything like yours.

That's correct. What you can do in 2010, to have quick access to the tools you use the most is click "File" on the menu, then a drop-down list will appear, click "Options".

raybo
12-23-2012, 03:06 PM
After clicking "Options" the "Excel Options" window will open, on the left side, click "Quick Access Toolbar".

raybo
12-23-2012, 03:17 PM
When you click "Quick Access Toolbar", you will see 2 boxes on the right side. The box on the left contains the available tools, and the box on the right is the Quick Access Toolbar. Simply hover your cursor over the tool on the left, a short description of that tool appears. If you want to add it to the Quick Access Toolbar, just click that tool and click "Add >>", bewtween the 2 boxes and that tool will be added to the toolbar. If you want to remove a tool from the toolbar, select iit in the right hand box, then click "<< Remove" between the boxes. When you're done click "OK" at the bottom right, and the toolbar will appear below the ribbon.

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd just like to take a moment to thank you, raybo, for all the time and work you're putting into this thread... :ThmbUp:

raybo
12-23-2012, 03:32 PM
After you create the toolbar and click "OK" this is what you have below the ribbon, all your favorite tools, real handy.

raybo
12-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd just like to take a moment to thank you, raybo, for all the time and work you're putting into this thread... :ThmbUp:

I'm glad to do it Mike. I know what I went through when I first started using Excel. It took me lots of trial and error, and reading the Help files.

Thanks for letting me take so much space with the screenshots!!

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Since formulas have been introduced, here's how you can use "functions", which are typed like formulas, but are not necessarily mathematical formulas. I'll show you how to access a list of all Excel functions, and how to enter them in cells, rather than just typing them in.

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:24 PM
After clicking the "Insert Function" button:

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:26 PM
After clicking "Math & Trig":

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:27 PM
After selecting the "Product" function and clicking "OK":

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Entering the "arguments" for a function:

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Final result of the function:

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:41 PM
So, we could type that formula in the text/formula bar, or we could just use the "Insert Function" button to access all the functions in Excel, then enter our arguments and Excel does all the rest for us.

One thing I should have mentioned earlier, instead of typing cell references in our formulas, or in the "Insert Function" arguments, we could just click those cells instead. Clicking/selecting a cell or range of cells, while creating a formula or inserting a function, will cause that cell location or cell range to be entered into the formula for you.

Say I want to add A1 and A2. I could type =, and then click cell A1, then type + and then click cell A2, then click "Enter" on the keyboard, or click the green arrow to the left of the formula bar. That's it, the formula will be complete. Try it!

raybo
12-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Another way to enter the above formula would be to type =SUM( in the cell, then click and hold cell A1 and drag the curser to cell A2 and release, then click Enter on the keyboard or click the green arrow beside the formula bar. This is what would appear in the formula: =SUM(A1:A2)

If we read the formula it would be: equals the sum of A1 through A2.

SuitedAces
01-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Where is the eraser in Excel 2010? Otherwise, enjoying this tutorial...Also, where do I see Prime Power in the PP's?

David

raybo
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Where is the eraser in Excel 2010? Otherwise, enjoying this tutorial...Also, where do I see Prime Power in the PP's?

David

david,

Here are 2 screenshots, the first showing how to access the Erase Border tool in Excel 2010. The second one shows where the Brisnet Prime Power Rating is located in the "Past Performances" view on the "AllData" worksheet.

SuitedAces
01-05-2013, 02:49 AM
What is the formatting you're referring to? Also, what did you do to make room for 20 horses?

david

raybo
01-05-2013, 08:04 AM
What is the formatting you're referring to? Also, what did you do to make room for 20 horses?

david

David,

The "formatting" includes the centering of the data in the cell, the borders grouping and separating the different types of data, raw or calculated, the number of decimal places for the data, etc., etc., that we learned in the first part of the tutorial.

I made room for 20 horses by copying the formulas in row 2 downward to row 21, which is 20 rows. I do that because if I only had formulas for, say, 10 horses, and a race actually had 12 horses entered, I would only see 10 or those 12 horses. Some races, like the Derby, can have as many as 20 horses entered. Overseas, even 20 horses can be a relatively short field.

u2popmart
01-05-2013, 07:52 PM
just found this spreadsheet.
it is amazing . i spent all night reading about its history in development.
i try it out today. i hit an exacta. i still need to learn the ins and outs. the adjustments that change the proposed favorites in the box.
if i have questions where should i post them .
thanks.

raybo
01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
just found this spreadsheet.
it is amazing . i spent all night reading about its history in development.
i try it out today. i hit an exacta. i still need to learn the ins and outs. the adjustments that change the proposed favorites in the box.
if i have questions where should i post them .
thanks.

You can post your questions right here, or you can PM me. I assume you're talking about the "AllData J1" workbook?

u2popmart
01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
yes.
thanks

raybo
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I haven't had much time lately to continue the Excel tutorial, nor have I had the time to figure out what topic should be addressed next. Maybe some of you would like to suggest something you would like to see explained/demonstrated? Heck, maybe nobody cares? If , instead, you're totally confused by all this, let us know where the confusion exists and I'll try to "un-confuse" you.

raybo
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
By the way, I hope you have checked out the bet sizing app, Excel workbook, that I posted in this "Software" section of the forum. It's a pretty nifty method for accelerating your earnings, if you have a long term positive edge/ROI. It also offers pretty good protection for your previously earned profits and, of course, your starting bankroll.

The standard "percentage of bankroll" bet sizing method is used by many very good players, and it works better than flat betting, or trying to determine your true edge in a race and sizing your bet according to that perceived edge (Kelly/fractional Kelly), betting more on races where you think you have a higher edge, and less in those races where your perceived edge is less. However, the percentage of bankroll method has a big flaw in it. When you lose, your bet size decreases, and when you win your bet size increases. Sounds good doesn't it? What happens, though, when after a win, you lose the next bet? You have just bet more money on the losing horse than you did on the winning one, not good! And vice versa, if you just lost a bet and your bet size is decreased, and your next bet is a winner, you have just bet less on the winning horse than you did on the losing one, again, not good. So, a more efficient bet sizing method is to not automatically increase or decrease your bet size after each win or loss. When do we know if we are going to win a race, or lose a race? We don't, yes, we may think we do, but in fact we don't, anything can happen in the running of a race.

So, how do we determine when to increase our bet size and when to decrease our bet size, or should we ever decrease our bets? How about we increase our bets after we have made a certain, predetermined percentage of profit? What if we say, "I want to increase my bet size every time I have made a 25% profit since my last bet increase"? Why not? We have already made some profit, and therefore we now have an added cushion, against ruin caused by a losing streak while making larger wagers, the profit we just made. And, what about decreasing our bet sizes after losing that last profit amount we made? Well, there has been quite a bit of discussion in that "Bet Sizing App" about whether or not we should "ever" decrease our bets. The answer, of course, is dependent upon your "true" edge, do you really have an edge, long term, or not? If you really do have a long term edge/positive ROI, then your answer is, "never decrease your bet amount", stay with the same bet size until you have reached the next percentage of profit level, then increase it.

If you aren't sure you have a "true" edge, or you absolutely do not have a "true" edge, then you can do whatever you want, because eventually you will lose all your bankroll anyway. You don't need to worry about how much to bet, only how big is your bankroll and how fast do you want to lose it. Ugly, I know, but that's the cruel truth, if you don't have a true edge you will lose, it's just a matter of how much you can afford to lose, and how fast you're willing to lose it.

So, if you absolutely have a long term edge, you should make sure you are getting the maximum profit that you can. The bet sizing app I posted will help you do that. It's based on both percentage of bankroll, and also on percentage of profit, increasing your bet size according to the increase in bankroll, and also a percentage of the profit you have made.

Check it out, it's free, what do you have to lose? Just the time you spend testing it against your performances. Try it "on paper" and see how you do, profit-wise, versus your current bet sizing method.

raybo
09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I have recently created a YouTube channel for the AllData Project and have uploaded some instructional videos for the RS program. Here is the link to that YouTube channel, click the "Videos" tab to watch those videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/AllDataExcel/about

Ray

raybo
09-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Today at Belmont with the RS program, Race 8 - Noble Damsel G1.

raybo
09-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Here's a shot of the "All Record" report for the Belmont Fall meet, so far, from 9-07-2013 thru 9-13-2013. Several methods are doing well early in this meet. Of course this report does not include the big hit in the 8th race today (9-14-2013) by several of the methods.

It's time to start betting real money, it appears, as things have been fairly consistent for the last couple of days now.

My initial database was 9-8-2012 thru 10-14-2012, and I started recording on 9-7-2013.

UltimateBetter
11-01-2016, 07:55 PM
anynews on raybo

Handiman
11-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Not that I know of as of late anyway.

Handi:)

Parson
11-04-2016, 01:35 PM
I have not talked to him in several weeks, but I have exchanged emails with him. He is on the last round of treatments now. I know based on the email exchange, those treatments have been kicking his butt.

Tom
11-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the update.

Thoughts and prayers to Ray! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Vinnie
11-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Thoughts and Prayers and nothing but the most excellent karma go out to Raybo and his family. Get well Raybo.

raybo
11-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Sorry I haven't updated things for a while, but comuter stuff is extremely taxing these days. As Matt said, the 7 weeks of daily radiation and chemo knocked me down a few times, especially when they tightened the ranges for the radiation, but we got through it ok. More to report after the 14th, when we do another MRI and CT scans to see if the tumor is returning or cancer is detected anywhere else. This, of course is the "biggie" with this tumor type.

Thanks again for your prayers, well wishes, and moral support, it is really appreciated!!

Ray

Southbaygent
11-06-2016, 07:20 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: all the best

Handiman
11-06-2016, 10:07 PM
All my Best Ray. May God drown you in his Love and Light so that you heal completely!

Handi:)

mmdorn
11-07-2016, 06:16 AM
Ray, All my prayers. Get well fast.

Mike

Appy
11-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Been quite some time since I have communicated with you Raybo, but it is true I think of you often. Stay strong. Hope to see and hear much more from you in the future.

UltimateBetter
02-22-2017, 12:51 AM
Anything from Raybo

Parson
02-27-2017, 04:23 PM
I am curious has to how he is doing as well. I have emailed a couple of times but have gotten no response. Kinda unlike him to do that.

chuckster1968
08-04-2017, 12:53 AM
I am curious but it could be possible that Ray has passed if he is not responding on the thread I hope not.. I actually sent him an email as i found his excel website for handicapping to be interesting although heavily information based, to me its his version of Black Magic and probably a lot cheaper. His demeanor in his videos are one of a truly laid back and classy guy. I do not have Excel and was wondering if there was a place I could try out his software or download it. I only have google docs. Would it work for that, sorry not a techie guy?

Chuckster

Mulerider
08-04-2017, 07:09 AM
That's a problem. I'm pretty sure it won't work in Google Docs, which doesn't support Excel macros. Nor will it work in Microsoft's free cloud version of Excel, for the same reason. You might get it to work in one of the freeware spreadsheets like Open Office Calc, etc. but I suspect you'd have to do some serious tweaking to run the macros.

Raybo stated in his blog that the software runs best on pre-2007 versions of Excel. If you shop around on the web you can find those versions for around $20 or less.

Good luck!

Mule

jeebus1083
08-04-2017, 09:21 AM
I am curious but it could be possible that Ray has passed if he is not responding on the thread I hope not.. I actually sent him an email as i found his excel website for handicapping to be interesting although heavily information based, to me its his version of Black Magic and probably a lot cheaper. His demeanor in his videos are one of a truly laid back and classy guy. I do not have Excel and was wondering if there was a place I could try out his software or download it. I only have google docs. Would it work for that, sorry not a techie guy?

Chuckster

Ray is still with us. I emailed him the other day. However, his health issues no longer make it possible for him to work on Excel.

mikesal57
08-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Ray is still with us. I emailed him the other day. However, his health issues no longer make it possible for him to work on Excel.

Jeeb

next time you send him an email....tell him the guys at PA wish him the best and hope he can come back soon..

Mike

headhawg
08-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Jeeb

next time you send him an email....tell him the guys at PA wish him the best and hope he can come back soon..+1 :ThmbUp:

Tom
08-04-2017, 06:27 PM
+1 :ThmbUp:

Speed Figure
08-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Add me to the guest list!

thaskalos
08-05-2017, 01:02 PM
+1 :ThmbUp:

Jeff P
08-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Absolutely! :ThmbUp:

-jp

chuckster1968
08-23-2017, 02:42 AM
Wow an incredible piece of software? So if I bought Microsoft Office with the latest version of Excel..can someone tell me where I could download Rays software?

Chuckster

mikesal57
08-23-2017, 06:53 AM
Wow an incredible piece of software? So if I bought Microsoft Office with the latest version of Excel..can someone tell me where I could download Rays software?

Chuckster

http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/

He has 2 versions....FREE and Black Box...most likely you cant get the Black Box Version ...but the Free one can have you busy for a while....
Please read read read read before you post questions...

Mike

chuckster1968
08-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Hey I can afford HSH.. by the way..

mikesal57
08-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Hey I can afford HSH.. by the way..

I apologize...wrong person...:(

Parson
09-04-2017, 09:59 AM
I thought I would let everyone know that I received an email from his wife, samara, and his latest MRI, showed no cancer. His vision is limited and keeps him from being on the computer and working his excel spreadsheet. If you are a praying person, keep praying for the positive results that he has been getting from the doctors>

headhawg
09-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that there is some good news. We're pulling for you Raybo!

mikesal57
09-04-2017, 11:09 AM
I thought I would let everyone know that I received an email from his wife, samara, and his latest MRI, showed no cancer. His vision is limited and keeps him from being on the computer and working his excel spreadsheet. If you are a praying person, keep praying for the positive results that he has been getting from the doctors>

Appreciate the update....we are all rooting for him...

Mike

bugboy
09-04-2017, 11:45 AM
although we have never met, never communated with each other I feel I know you as a computer friend. I have been on this board for many years as you have my friend.

I wish and pray for your full recovery. I shall have you and your family in my prayers.

Pleas LORD help Raybo to have a complete recovery...Thank You LORd.

mmdorn
09-04-2017, 12:23 PM
All the best Ray, and a speedy recovery. I will be praying for you and your family.

Mike

Handiman
09-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Ray,

Handi here. Great news Buddy. May God continue to bless you in your recovery. :)

JJMartin
09-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Ray inspired me to build my own Excel Software several years ago and I learned a lot from his work. Hope to see you back soon buddy :)

Vinnie
09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Nothing but Excellent Karma and warm tidings to Raybo and his family. I hope that you are well on the road to recovery Raybo. Most sincere thoughts and prayers.

mikesal57
06-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Hey...

Any Black Box users still around?

I had this for years but never really did anything it....
I watched Ray's videos and did some fooling around with it...
At Belmont 6-15, BB came up with both big winners $48 & $33...
Anyone that would like to join up with me and discuss further ,
Please PM me...

thxs

Mike

Krudler
06-17-2018, 01:48 AM
I enjoyed using the Black Box but I stepped away from racing for a few years and stopped getting the data files. As a result, I couldn't do the testing required to make the BB work for me.

I have noticed that the forum Raybo set up is very quiet lately without his posts and I'd be interested in following any conversation that gets started here on PA. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer at the moment, mind you.

mikesal57
06-17-2018, 08:24 AM
I enjoyed using the Black Box but I stepped away from racing for a few years and stopped getting the data files. As a result, I couldn't do the testing required to make the BB work for me.

I have noticed that the forum Raybo set up is very quiet lately without his posts and I'd be interested in following any conversation that gets started here on PA. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer at the moment, mind you.

Thxs Kru for chiming in.....
But I'm looking for active users and their results...

Belmont , again , had a good day 6-16...
10.40.....6.00.....2.60.....11.20.....8.00.....13. 60.....31.40.....12.40

Ray limited this to a certain amount so if your still using it give me a PM and maybe we can team up.

Mike

JJMartin
10-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Sorry I haven't updated things for a while, but comuter stuff is extremely taxing these days. As Matt said, the 7 weeks of daily radiation and chemo knocked me down a few times, especially when they tightened the ranges for the radiation, but we got through it ok. More to report after the 14th, when we do another MRI and CT scans to see if the tumor is returning or cancer is detected anywhere else. This, of course is the "biggie" with this tumor type.

Thanks again for your prayers, well wishes, and moral support, it is really appreciated!!

Ray

:(

CheckMark
10-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Thxs Kru for chiming in.....
But I'm looking for active users and their results...

Belmont , again , had a good day 6-16...
10.40.....6.00.....2.60.....11.20.....8.00.....13. 60.....31.40.....12.40

Ray limited this to a certain amount so if your still using it give me a PM and maybe we can team up.

Mike

Is this the black box software or a different one results.

mikesal57
10-10-2018, 07:31 PM
:(

Yes it is......

Trying to get any Alldata users to comment on how things are with his Black Box program is a bust .....:( too

Mike

Yes....BB results

Appy
02-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Feeling the pain. I really miss Raybo. He was a top of the line guy.
Knowing what I know now, I wish I had bought into his software. I know from our conversations and the times I watched him work with it in live play it was/is a high quality program.

mikesal57
02-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Feeling the pain. I really miss Raybo. He was a top of the line guy.
Knowing what I know now, I wish I had bought into his software. I know from our conversations and the times I watched him work with it in live play it was/is a high quality program.

Watch out....dont say that too loud....

or

The a -holes will start trashing him again

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2019, 01:33 AM
Watch out....dont say that too loud....

or

The a -holes will start trashing him againInteresting take

UnifiedTheory
06-08-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm having a hard time understanding why the RS All Data Black Box forum is virtually non-existent.

I never had the pleasure of communicating with Raybo when he was still among us but from everything I've read he sure seemed like a great handicapper/programmer and more importantly a classy gentleman. His passing was extremely unfortunate on many levels.

From everything I've read All Data is excellent handicapping software.

What I don't understand is why no one seems to be using this software anymore in spite of it's high quality.

I get that it's less appealing to use handicapping software without support or updates from the creator and without a vibrant forum...but it still seems odd to me given the high quality of the program.

Thoughts anyone?

mikesal57
06-08-2019, 10:47 AM
I'm having a hard time understanding why the RS All Data Black Box forum is virtually non-existent.

I never had the pleasure of communicating with Raybo when he was still among us but from everything I've read he sure seemed like a great handicapper/programmer and more importantly a classy gentleman. His passing was extremely unfortunate on many levels.

From everything I've read All Data is excellent handicapping software.

What I don't understand is why no one seems to be using this software anymore in spite of it's high quality.

I get that it's less appealing to use handicapping software without support or updates from the creator and without a vibrant forum...but it still seems odd to me given the high quality of the program.

Thoughts anyone?

Black Box was sold by Ray about 5 -6 years ago....
He kept it to a small amount of sales.....he didn't want to flood the market and reduce ROI's...

As for support...he made about 10 YouTube videos to help ..it is very thorough

I jump on it every so offend .....

His Alldata Program was my start into Excel & horse racing programming

Mike

douglasw32
06-20-2019, 02:36 PM
https://twitter.com/thoroughwiz/status/1141715934505250816?s=21

I use a modified version that imports my own Homegrown figure into it and let’s me print PP’s.

mikesal57
06-20-2019, 03:06 PM
https://twitter.com/thoroughwiz/status/1141715934505250816?s=21

I use a modified version that imports my own Homegrown figure into it and let’s me print PP’s.

Modified Black Box or Alldata?

douglasw32
06-20-2019, 03:49 PM
alldata_j1_custom_printsheets_v5.zip

Found here - https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---download.html

I wrote a Visual Basic program (originally based on my earlier handifast stuff bit completely different now) to import the brisnet csv and compute an ability figure it then writes my figures out as a separate CSV file that I link to the spreadsheet using the data import function in excel. Then a few macros were added to place it into the PP section and modify the sheet.

mikesal57
06-20-2019, 03:51 PM
alldata_j1_custom_printsheets_v5.zip

Found here - https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---download.html

I wrote a Visual Basic program (originally based on my earlier handifast stuff bit completely different now) to import the brisnet csv and compute an ability figure it then writes my figures out as a separate CSV file that I link to the spreadsheet using the data import function in excel. Then a few macros were added to place it into the PP section and modify the sheet.

Awesome Doug!!!!!

Be careful of the lurkers that might throw all sorts of money at you....

douglasw32
06-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Trying to make it easier and make more sense to an average user then I would be glad to share it here...need to make what I do a written set of steps though.

mikesal57
06-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Trying to make it easier and make more sense to an average user then I would be glad to share it here...need to make what I do a written set of steps though.

Wow...In the case your going to share....maybe we can talk a little about it...

From what I see , you took out the race rating & class rating and entered your TWIZ Rating....correct?

How would you say its doing?

In this 8th race , I like the 2 & 8 :)

Mike

Tom
06-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Doug, welcome back!

douglasw32
06-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Lol - I never really went too far away Tom, just quietly lurk - okay maybe I got a little hooked on Twitter. 🤪

jimmac
06-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Doug:

Can you please tell me how to load my files onto your program.
When I list - nothing there.
Thank you,

Jimmac

douglasw32
06-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Can you post the link to the version you have? I haven’t used it in some time and do not have it installed. Mike and Handi did the programming on that. My skills were very green at that time. What operating system are you using it on? I can install it on the correct computer and figure it out then I can post the steps I take.

jimmac
06-22-2019, 11:55 AM
AllData_J1_Custom_PrintSheets_v5.xls"

Windows 7

jimmac
06-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Doug:

It's the download at the bottom of this link

https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata-ni-batch---download.html

Thank You

jimmac

douglasw32
06-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Oh wait - I thought you meant handifast (my bad) the alldata is picky about the trailing slash \

https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/1/8/2718472/919683.gif?652

tsn1 needs to be changed to whatever folder your drf files are in and they need to be extracted not zipped

Videos here should help

https://m.youtube.com/user/AllDataExcel

UnifiedTheory
08-08-2019, 01:41 PM
I have tried many times to get the All-Data RS program to work on my computer but I cannot seem to load a database according to the instructions no matter what I try.

The file folder paths are correct, I erased the old database, and I can list the cards and results I want to load but after I make sure all the right buttons were pushed in the right order I hit "run data" and instead of it taking about 30 seconds per card to process into the database as the instructional videos indicate instead it takes .05 seconds to NOT load. Then when I click the timer popup and I'm taken to a sheet displaying a data card from a previous user, in spite of the fact I erased the old database. Very confusing.

I have the feeling this software is the right one for me but if I cannot make it work then I have to move on.

Currently I'm using Handifast for recreational picks but in the near future I see myself either using All Data if it can be fixed and if it can't be fixed then I'll try JCapper Silver. I would try HSH but the price even on sale at $800 is still too much for my budget.

It would be great if I could at least get a database loaded into All Data RS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JJMartin
08-08-2019, 01:44 PM
It says -29 cards selected, I think you have starting and ending backwards.

UnifiedTheory
08-08-2019, 03:46 PM
It says -29 cards selected, I think you have starting and ending backwards.

Problem solved! Thanks JJ!!

I meant to reply sooner but I got carried away checking out the All Data software.

Your help ended a maddening situation. Funny but I never would have thought it would make a difference in which order the cards were added to the database.

I'm so glad I finally asked for help instead of continuing to :bang:.

UnifiedTheory
08-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Well so much for thinking All Data was finally working on my computer.

Soon after getting a database loaded thanks to JJ's help I realized I still cannot run the program in auto record mode. The procedure was followed and it seemed like it was working but then no info resulted. I tried starting over with a fresh version of my All Data Workbook but I'm no longer able to load databases even though I now do it the proper way. (db loading only worked once)

I've been playing around with it off and on for a while but I still cannot get this unique but frustrating program to work for me at all. I can use it for live play as many methods don't use the database anyway but it's the database part that intrigues me.

I think the issue might be that it was written on Excel 97-03 and I'm using Excel 2010. I've spent many hours trying it in different formats thinking it's a compatibility problem but nothing seems to work.

Hmmm maybe there's a good reason why the top tier programs like HSH, Jcapper, HTR, Black Magic are not based on Excel and why the vast majority of handicapping programs are not based on Excel.

Any help would be appreciated.
:bang:

rosenowsr
08-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Have you tried going to the user interface and starting from scratch? I noticed a lot of the boxes you have checked are wrong.

rosenowsr
08-09-2019, 02:12 PM
I have found, at least or me, to make 2 work books of the same track. One work book for database the other for all record. For some reason they are not very friendly on the same work book.

rosenowsr
08-09-2019, 02:14 PM
That is the work around that i use, your mileage may very.

UnifiedTheory
08-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Have you tried going to the user interface and starting from scratch? I noticed a lot of the boxes you have checked are wrong.

I've tried starting from scratch many times with different checkboxes but it never works out.

My screenshots were posted before JJ told me to put the cards in from 1-30 rather than 30-1.

Thanks for your effort to help.

rosenowsr
08-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Just a couple more thoughts. When you load program be sure to click "load macros" then click "do not update.

Also zipped files and unzipped files can not be in the same folder.

I run excel 2003, maybe 2010 in uncompatable.

If you have some kind of chat program maybe I can help you.

UnifiedTheory
08-10-2019, 03:12 PM
I have found, at least or me, to make 2 work books of the same track. One work book for database the other for all record. For some reason they are not very friendly on the same work book.

Thanks rosenowsr, I appreciate the attempt to help.

I've basically given up on figuring out how to use AllDataRS. It just seems too buggy or incompatible with Excel 2010. :rant: :bang:

Seems like a shame though since it's an intriguing program. I never got to see All-Record work even once.

At times like this I'm glad I have Handifast. It's not the best program out there by any stretch of the imagination, but at least using Handifast doesn't require a degree in computer engineering. :)

UnifiedTheory
09-01-2019, 12:50 AM
I'd like to clarify my perspective on the All Data RS software.

My previous post was written when I was frustrated with my insufficient patience. In some areas of life I'm incredibly patient but in other areas of life my patience is grossly insufficient at times. I regret not having waited until I calmed down and introspected on the nature of my frustration before writing the previous post.

I also regret mentioning Handifast in the previous post in a manner that lacked positivity. My mention of HF doesn't reflect my true feelings of respect for the software and for all the difficult work many people put into the creation of Handifast.

In my humble opinion, All Data RS is great handicapping software. I have deep respect for the late Raybo for having created such an incredibly useful handicapping tool. I sincerely consider myself fortunate to have All Data RS.

Live and learn.

mikesal57
09-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Alldata RS was a proprietary program developed by Ray Baker

He sold a limited amount to keep it under control.

Upon his death , everything he owned went into his Estate.

It is a violation to sell or buy his program after Sept 6 , 2018.

So congrats to the 2 axxholes involved in that transaction.

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2019, 03:14 AM
It is a violation to sell or buy his program after Sept 6 , 2018.It's also a violation to distribute past performance data unless you are an authorized Equibase partner. But you don't care much about that...so why do you care about this form of copyright infringement?

mikesal57
09-02-2019, 09:27 AM
It's also a violation to distribute past performance data unless you are an authorized Equibase partner. But you don't care much about that...so why do you care about this form of copyright infringement?

Equibase and their Partners.....

mikesal57
09-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Also I'd appreciate if you stop insinuating I distribute data files....

I mentioned that I dont mind anyone that does .....

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Also I'd appreciate if you stop insinuating I distribute data files....

I mentioned that I dont mind anyone that does .....Didn't even come close to insinuating such a thing...but it's curious how much you just bristled defensively.

quetzalchess
06-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Hello to all

Some time ago I downloaded the spreadsheet from their site, I was not able to run it but had all intentions to use it, I am greyhound racing handicapper, i use mostly spredsheets to do my handicapping. Recently I wanted to try horse racing, and went back to the site to download the sheet again since i lost the file due to system crash.

Unfortunately Ray, the developer passed away so I was not able to chat with him and get the sheets, I downloaded some material but I am not sure if that is the most updated version, also not quite sure how to feed the data.

Does anyone here use it? does it still work?

If so could you kindly assist me?

Regards

mikesal57
06-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Hello to all

Some time ago I downloaded the spreadsheet from their site, I was not able to run it but had all intentions to use it, I am greyhound racing handicapper, i use mostly spredsheets to do my handicapping. Recently I wanted to try horse racing, and went back to the site to download the sheet again since i lost the file due to system crash.

Unfortunately Ray, the developer passed away so I was not able to chat with him and get the sheets, I downloaded some material but I am not sure if that is the most updated version, also not quite sure how to feed the data.

Does anyone here use it? does it still work?

If so could you kindly assist me?

Regards

Alldata should still be on his site...

As for his Black Box.......its not for sale any more

and YES they still work....

douglasw32
06-12-2020, 09:49 PM
https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldata---legacy-downloads.html

mikesal57
06-12-2020, 10:24 PM
FYI

I just went to Alldata site and downloaded all the programs....

Unfortunately , All the programs have been rendered useless because a number of required sheets have been deleted.

I dont know if this was done legally or illegally....

I will try to find out....

It is despicable if someone here did something to get rid of another valuable asset for horse players because it was "free"....

The first picture is the full working program with all sheets( look at bottom)

The second one is missing a number of sheets...

mikesal57
06-13-2020, 12:59 AM
Figured it out....

I used the link douglasw32 just gave ...

Its the wrong link......WHEW!!

the correct one is.....

douglasw32
06-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Whew is right - I was about to start zipping and uploading what I had archived lol
Sorry about that

mikesal57
06-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Whew is right - I was about to start zipping and uploading what I had archived lol
Sorry about that

:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2020, 07:11 PM
I dont know if this was done legally or illegally....

I will try to find out....

It is despicable if someone here did something to get rid of another valuable asset for horse players because it was "free"....Don't forget...everyone out there is out to GET YOU!

And only you. Nobody else.

mikesal57
06-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Don't forget...everyone out there is out to GET YOU!

And only you. Nobody else.

Exactly what my Doctor keeps telling me....

Tom
06-16-2020, 09:27 AM
Exactly what my Doctor keeps telling me....

For GOD's sake, WEAR A MASK! :eek:
And stay 6 feet away! :lol:

Tom
06-16-2020, 09:29 AM
Happy Birthday!

2 days late, but hope it was good one!!!

mikesal57
06-16-2020, 01:04 PM
For GOD's sake, WEAR A MASK! :eek:
And stay 6 feet away! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

and thats not even my best side....

mikesal57
06-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Happy Birthday!

2 days late, but hope it was good one!!!

:ThmbUp:

quetzalchess
06-20-2020, 02:13 AM
Figured it out....

I used the link douglasw32 just gave ...

Its the wrong link......WHEW!!

the correct one is.....

Thank you very much my friend, what type of data doe it need?

Regards

mikesal57
06-20-2020, 09:33 AM
Thank you very much my friend, what type of data doe it need?

Regards

DRF Files

wiretowire68
03-16-2022, 06:29 PM
rays workbook on excel and purchased a brisnet single comma file and made a folder in my c drive and I a told I need to create a directory on my c drive yet when i go into my power shell in windows and type this I get all error messages. So i keep trying to take this file one card from aqueduct brisnet file and get it to open from the main sheet in the workbook ????