PDA

View Full Version : Boy That Was Quick

Dahoss9698
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Gary Stevens has decided he doesn't want to train anymore. Let the debate begin as to which was the best horse he trained.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/110152.html

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Gary Stevens has decided he doesn't want to train anymore. Let the debate begin as to which was the best horse he trained.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/110152.html

Other than riding in the morning, what did he know about training horses?
He didn't have many winners. He just may be too on the "up and up" to compete with some of So Cal's top trainers.

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2010, 03:09 AM
He just may be too on the "up and up" to compete with some of So Cal's top trainers.Yeah, that's probably what it was...

letswastemoney
01-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Well...Diamondrella was the best obviously...

Trotman
01-16-2010, 07:26 AM
:1: for :2: :1: was Gary's stats since last spring when he started training. I think IMO he prefers the lights, camera's, action more at this point in time. If his name was Joe Blow nobody really would care how bad your record was. Can you spell EGO

JohnGalt1
01-16-2010, 08:56 AM
LONG hours and HARD work--you've go to LOVE training horses.

And dealing with owners on a more personal basis than as a jockey may have been a factor.

citygoat
01-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Gary Stevens is as social as that statue outside Santa Anita.

toussaud
01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
saw this coming a mile away.

diamondrella ran up the track and he was supposed to get stardom bound but they decided to keep her with dutrow instead. they probably took diamondrella from her and he had enough.

rrbauer
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Stevens did the same thing when he was a jockey agent. Lasted about a month. I don't know if the guy "has" to work, or not. Apparently not!

kenwoodallpromos
01-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Stevens did the same thing when he was a jockey agent. Lasted about a month. I don't know if the guy "has" to work, or not. Apparently not!
IMHO there are intelligent people in this world who can qickly assesss whether a job fits them rather than struggling uneccessarily long term.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dahoss9698
01-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Well...Diamondrella was the best obviously...

Obviously....I was attempting a joke, because of how many different horses Stevens said was the best he ever rode.

PhantomOnTour
01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I think he is too much on the up-n-up. All jocks that I hear speak absolutely LOVE the horses, and I think Gary saw all that goes into making horses compete well (draw your own conclusions) and decided not to be a part of that.

I bet he assessed what he had to do to keep afloat and said, "No thanks"

Maybe he hates poly too!

joanied
01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Smart move, IMO. None of the horses he's training has done well...of course, time could change that, and in time, his horses may start winning as he gets better at training...
I think after he retired from riding, he was like many folks in that he was not sure what he wanted to do...understandable...so, big deal, he took a shot at being an agent, then a trainer, and neither worked out...
someone mentioned he might not want get involved in the politics of training, or maybe do things that he isn't comfortable with...can't blame him there.
After retirement, he just has to find his way...which sometimes, takes time.

If he wants to continue as a TV commentator...and take acting parts, as he did for the upcoming HBO program (Luck)...and might for each of the other race movies in production (Secretariat and 'Freak', movie about Julie Krone)...and also be a 'full time' dad to their new baby...it's no wonder he decided to close his barn...

For now, he has done, IMO, the right thing...and Gary can always get back to training sometime in the future, if he wants to.