PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita may go to Seven Races a Day or a Four Day Week!

andymays
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/110127.html

Excerpt:

ARCADIA, Calif. - Santa Anita is considering reducing its racing calendar at the current winter-spring meeting, with the possibility of running fewer races per day or one fewer day per week. The track is considering the measure because of a shortage of race-ready horses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get it over with and go to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday racing.

Then the geniuses need to decide if they want to turn it into a museum and petting zoo in 2012! :bang:

Synthetic surfaces saved California Racing just like they said it would. :eek: :rolleyes: :bang: :liar: :sleeping:

DJofSD
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Not that it's going to make any difference to me, they should give up Sundays. Sundays are made for golf.

46zilzal
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Not that it's going to make any difference to me, they should give up Sundays.
Never know which track shows up and even then for how LONG does it shows up?

Horseplayersbet.com
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
7 races a day is suicidal. 4 days a week is a much better option.

andymays
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
7 races a day is suicidal. 4 days a week is a much better option.

They really don't have enough to go 4 days if you want to know the truth. They are worried about losing their status with the Horse Racing networks.

Look for a museum and petting zoo by 2012 if these guys don't get their act together.

Horseplayersbet.com
01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
They really don't have enough to go 4 days if you want to know the truth. They are worried about losing their status with the Horse Racing networks.

Look for a museum and petting zoo by 2012 if these guys don't get their act together.
How about a Plastics Museum?

andymays
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
How about a Plastics Museum?

I'm ready to put all the synthetic misery in a museum right now and make it history. I'll even donate to get that miserable crap out of Santa Anita right now.

You aren't trying to get me going are you? ;)

LottaKash
01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Bye-Bye SA, you didn't need us when we needed you, so now we don't need you when you need us most.....Toodle-oo.......

You just didn't get it.....You needed to change and yet you didn't listen to us when we told you what was needed....Sayonarra...

Lots & lots of History, sad to see what a shambles you made of the ole' place....Ta-tah....

best,

GaryG
01-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I wonder if they have noticed the overflow fields at Tampa?

Tom
01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, this is kinda fun to watch them sink - the lousy bastards that shut us all out a while back - now they wonder why no one want to bet their pathetic excuse of a race track.

What goes around, comes around.

Buh-bye.:lol::lol:

tzipi
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm glad they are getting what they deserve.

Show Me the Wire
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I hope for the 4 day week and 8 race card. Such a schedule should encourage more eight horse fields and fewer cheap mcl races.

ukbro00
01-15-2010, 09:48 PM
There were SO many supporters of the fake track, that the ones who were in the minority and opposed it, didn't really have an impact whatsoever. The media, most fans, trainers, vets, track management, owners, all fell in love with it, because of the lies that they were told. (Horses won't get injured, track will play fair...etc.)

As a fan, I don't like seeing it fail, but I hated the idea to put it in, so its really bittersweet. Didn't anyone take a cue from AstroTurf? The same idea, it was promised to be the next great amazing thing, and now it is basically non-existent, due to the many problems that it had.

It happens so many times, that people take an idea and run with it, with limited information and data, and it ends up kicking them in the ass.

Niko
01-15-2010, 11:39 PM
They should really raise the takeout by 5% to increase the handle and give incentive to the owners and trainers to race there through all the increased purse money they'd get :lol:

Robert Goren
01-16-2010, 12:00 AM
There were SO many supporters of the fake track, that the ones who were in the minority and opposed it, didn't really have an impact whatsoever. The media, most fans, trainers, vets, track management, owners, all fell in love with it, because of the lies that they were told. (Horses won't get injured, track will play fair...etc.)

As a fan, I don't like seeing it fail, but I hated the idea to put it in, so its really bittersweet. Didn't anyone take a cue from AstroTurf? The same idea, it was promised to be the next great amazing thing, and now it is basically non-existent, due to the many problems that it had.

It happens so many times, that people take an idea and run with it, with limited information and data, and it ends up kicking them in the ass. Am I missing something here? It is natural grass that has become a rarity in big time college and NFL football.

Robert Goren
01-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Both! This industry has way too much product. Fewer Days, fewer races and fewer tracks is what is needed. I hate see California go down because they until now kept the take out on W/P/S betting down, but something has got to give. They have to address their customer base. Everytime a horseplayer dies there is one less horse player. Everytime a poker player dies there are 2 college kids to take his place. I know I am preaching to the choir. JMO

BlueShoe
01-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Okay, if Santa Anita fails and Hollypark is developed as planned, just where in SoCal will they race? Year around at Del Mar would not fly, so where then? Develop and expand Fairplex or Los Al? Neither place could ever be a first class venue like SA or HOL, and racing would decline to second tier status. Believe that old Santa Anita still has some life in her and will be around for at least awhile, and Hollywood could race for at least another two or three years.

exiles
01-16-2010, 01:36 AM
They are getting what they deserve:lol:, where is that moron Shapiro now who ruined the best racing circuit in the country.

Stillriledup
01-16-2010, 02:54 AM
I won't attend live racing for 7 races. To me, 9 is the right amount, not 7.

Seabiscuit@AR
01-16-2010, 03:06 AM
They should just race for 3 days a week as that is all they have horses for

And no need to go back to dirt, the problems in California were there before the synthetics

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Am I missing something here? It is natural grass that has become a rarity in big time college and NFL football.I don't think football is a viable comparison. Perhaps track (from "track and field" fame) might be a better analogy.

turfbar
01-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Who said"history repeats itself", who was the dude who fiddled while Rome burned?

Turfbar

RichieP
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
They should just race for 3 days a week as that is all they have horses for

And no need to go back to dirt, the problems in California were there before the synthetics

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

citygoat
01-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Racing will never draw fans until it has a more predictable schedule.The Kentucky Derby is the first saturday in May so everyone knows about the Derby.What day or month is the Santa Anita Derby?I was all set to play the big stakes races this year after printing out last years pps and spending a lot of time figuring out how I would attack these races this year only to find out I have already missed three and I must search out the next ones.

Today's big San Rafael stakes has five,count'em,five horses.At least I don't have to bother Uncle Sam.(3-1-5)

Horseplayersbet.com
01-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Racing will never draw fans until it has a more predictable schedule.The Kentucky Derby is the first saturday in May so everyone knows about the Derby.What day or month is the Santa Anita Derby?I was all set to play the big stakes races this year after printing out last years pps and spending a lot of time figuring out how I would attack these races this year only to find out I have already missed three and I must search out the next ones.

Today's big San Rafael stakes has five,count'em,five horses.At least I don't have to bother Uncle Sam.(3-1-5)
For years, Woodbine made the 7th race of either an 8 or 9 race card the Stake race. Today you get Stake Races in the 4th sometimes (if there are two on the card or it is a turf race on a Wednesday night, which is understandable in that case), sometimes the 6th, or 8th or 9th or 10th (on 11 or 12 race cards)....and even sometimes the 7th race.

I used to like the idea that it was always the 7th race on weekends only. There is something to knowing when the feature race is every day, no matter if it is an allowance event or a high claimer.

DJofSD
01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
This year or next year: no California horses in the Triple Crown.

ukbro00
01-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Am I missing something here? It is natural grass that has become a rarity in big time college and NFL football.

Yes, but AstroTurf isn't around anymore. Its other stuff. I wasn't trying to say that Racing should go to another synthetic surface, I was just saying that everyone went to AstroTurf before everyone knew a lot about it.

You can ask any athlete, and they will tell you how much they hate playing on synthetics, but more and more fields are being built, because of the ease to maintain it.

cj
01-16-2010, 01:41 PM
They should try 4 days a week AND 7 races a day. Then maybe 3 days a week and 6 races a day. Eventually, it should be Saturday and Sunday, 10 races a day. If you can't fill fields those days and generate some handle, bar the doors.

toussaud
01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Who said"history repeats itself", who was the dude who fiddled while Rome burned?

Turfbar

nero and it was a lyre not a fiddle

and he really didn't.