PDA

View Full Version : Who’s selling me out?

takeout
01-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Lately I’ve starting getting the “sucker list” phone calls and some tout crap in the mail. I haven’t bought a book in a while so where/how am I picking up this scum?

andymays
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
"They" are probably selling you out because "They" do that kind of stuff.

In all seriousness you need to ask them to put you on their do not call list and write down the number so if they call again you may be able to sue. Always call the number back and speak to a supervisor to make sure the caller actually did put you on the do not call list.

What kinds of stuff are "They" trying to sell you?

CryingForTheHorses
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Lately I’ve starting getting the “sucker list” phone calls and some tout crap in the mail. I haven’t bought a book in a while so where/how am I picking up this scum?

Sounds like spam crap,Just like you get in emails,Dont know why they do it but I guess it makes them money,Unless you have a disgruntled G/F,Hard to say you is selling you out!!

cj
01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
My guess is that Schell guy from Florida...either him or DaHoss.

njcurveball
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
where/how am I picking up this scum?

Anytime you write your name, email address, phone number, etc. for a marketing type offer use some kind of code. For example if it is for PA, then make your name takeoutPA, it if it is for Gilette, make it takeoutGIL or something like that.

You may be surprised where it comes from. I believe insurance companies like Geico sell mailing list info as well. So naturally you cannot switch your name there, but perhaps add an extra letter or number to your street address to find out.

The transfer of information in 2010 is astonishing. You may fill out a slip at a Mall for a free t-shirt or even a credit card and that information may be in India the next day on some guys computer screen calling you.

I have a "zapper" on my phone for the automated calls, but if a real person calls they will get through. It can be annoying, but usually the first thing I tell them I understand it is their job, so to save their time I am not interested as I do not do any business with a cold caller.

takeout
01-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I could’ve picked up those “fleas” anywhere.
Heck, I might even already have “the chip” and don’t even know it. :eek:

CryingForTheHorses
01-15-2010, 07:46 PM
My guess is that Schell guy from Florida...either him or DaHoss.

Gee Thanks

cj
01-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Just a joke Tom, I used you since you responded first.

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Lately I’ve starting getting the “sucker list” phone calls and some tout crap in the mail. I haven’t bought a book in a while so where/how am I picking up this scum?At least you know it's not my fault.

Not only don't I ever give out or sell email addresses, but nobody in their right mind would give me their mailing address, so the "tout crap in the mail" couldn't have been my fault...:lol:

macdiarmida
01-16-2010, 04:43 AM
takeout, if you think it's a book purchase (and it could be) then your name might still on a list somewhere being passed from teletubbymarketer to teletubbymarketer, either sold or rented. If you get shipped racing stuff with a misspelling or odd initials, etc. in the name and you will find you get solicitations using the same variant name. Maybe forever. I still occasionally get tout junk mail based on a decade-old racing magazine subscription that ended years ago.

There are also always "well-meaning friends" who will put you on a mailing list as a favor.

Fortune tellers/psychics make very detailed reports and sell them when a client/fish moves away. We're probably all profiled somewhere, somehow as horseplayers.

And just because a company won't release data doesn't mean some employee isn't freelancing and selling the data. PA and other boards are essentially anonymous for those who wish it, but it's surprising how much stuff people will post in their own profiles when given the chance. I guess "desperate gambler who inherited tons o cash and likes to talk to strangers on the phone" is not a good thing to mention in your profile?

Zman179
01-16-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm convinced that either DRF or TrackMaster is selling out their customer information. I never received any of this stuff until I signed up for pp's, now I get tout mail as well.

citygoat
01-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Is "insider information" or "chance of a lifetime" considered tout mail?If so,I might have to change my wagers today.:p

miesque
01-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm convinced that either DRF or TrackMaster is selling out their customer information. I never received any of this stuff until I signed up for pp's, now I get tout mail as well.

Since you mentioned it I do know how to comment that DRF sends out a ridiculous number of emails, advertising not just their products and sales but also other vendors products. They sent out so many that my SPAM filter eventually picked them up without me doing anything, but for a while it was really pissing me off.

As far as phone, I just put my home number down when its asked for because I never pick up my phone unless I am specifically waitng for a call and then I have caller ID as so many of the calls I get are marketing or such. My view is that if its important someone will leave a message. For example, the phone just rang a few minutes ago while I was frying bacon, I did not even both to go over to see who was calling. I only just now sauntered over to see who it was that called and from the area code it looks like it was someone from the Los Angeles area but they didn't leave a message so I assume it was either a wrong number or promotional call.

takeout
01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm convinced that either DRF or TrackMaster is selling out their customer information. I’ve always thought so too. I’ve wondered about BRIS as well, since CDI bought them.

Can/would ADW companies do this??? Any laws saying they can’t? Lots of conflicts of interest in this industry.