PDA

View Full Version : Haiti

superfecta
01-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Bad thing about the earthquake,of course the world expects US to make it all better.But why are there complaints already of the US not moving fast enough?Jeesh,there is only one runway at the airport,and they have no fuel,so its kinda hard to fly alot of stuff in.But that doesnt stop Gen.Russel Honore from saying we should have moved sooner.Course his claim to fame is he was coordinating hurricane Katrina rescue effort ,so I guess he should know its done.That was such a success... :rolleyes:

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Of course the U.S. is doing a lot in Haiti.
Right off the top they have been providing boots on the ground, physicians, supplies, and services.
The infrastructure is gone and roads need to be cleared.
Planes can't land. There's only so much that can be done.
But let me ask: "Where are the lefties?"
In the meanwhile the question shouldn't be why isn't the US doing enough or fast enough, one has to remember that these Carribean nations over the years have been courted by "Reds."
Where is Chavez, where is Cuba, and the donation of $ 5 million dollars in aid by China is a drop of piss considering their population.

Tom
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm sure our ships and planes are backed up behind the heavy volume of Muslim forces and aid flocking into the area, coupled wiht the Europeans.
The Religion of Peace must be clogging the runways.

Robert Goren
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I believe I heard that Cuba was there with aid. I don't know about anyone else. It is hard to find out who sending aid and who is not with the Red Cross pounding it's chest all of the time on the tv news outlets.

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
It is hard to find out who sending aid and who is not with the Red Cross pounding it's chest all of the time on the tv news outlets.

In my experience, The Red Cross has always been one of the first organizations to come forth in disasters and war. The TV outlets seek them out because they are visibly doing something, not the other way around.
I'm sure there are several other good organizations who are doing their part as well. But I donated to the Red Cross for this disaster.

Secretariat
01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
In my experience, The Red Cross has always been one of the first organizations to come forth in disasters and war. The TV outlets seek them out because they are visibly doing something, not the other way around.
I'm sure there are several other good organizations who are doing their part as well. But I donated to the Red Cross for this disaster.

Why are you donating? Rush said not to send anything. That this is all just for an Obama political stunt.

Robert Goren
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
The victims of local disasters (tornadoes) say almost to a man the Salvation Army does a lot of the work and the Red Cross takes all the credit. I do not want to get into a pissing match over the Red Cross. I am sure your donation (and all others) will be put to very good use and if I implied otherwise, I am sorry. It is just that I would like to see some of the other groups get some of the credit they deserve.

boxcar
01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I believe I heard that Cuba was there with aid. I don't know about anyone else. It is hard to find out who sending aid and who is not with the Red Cross pounding it's chest all of the time on the tv news outlets.

Maybe that's 'cause they're out on point of this catastrophic disaster?

Boxcar

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
In the Second World War two organizations were considered head and shoulders above others by returning veterans.
They were 1. The Salvation Army 2. The Red Cross.

LottaKash
01-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Personally, I have a very hard time holding back the tears when witnessing all the devastation.....Those poor, poor people had nothing to begin with, and now it is almost hopeless for them....My continual thoughts and prayers are with these "truly traumatized" people...

From Miami, Fl, across & up I-75, to I-10 to the Alabama line, is roughly 700 miles, and yet this island nation is just about the same distance away from Miami, and they have been thrust into an utter primitive existence, so near and yet so far, as we have no way yet, to expeditiously get to help those who are in such an immediate and desperate need of just getting to their next drink of water, let alone food or any emergency medical help.......

It bothers me much....

best,

LottaKash
01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Why are you donating? Rush said not to send anything. That this is all just for an Obama political stunt.

I have been an on again, off again, Rush fan thru the years, but, Rush, get real... I believe that you dropped the ball on this one and crossed a line that put you on the other side of what I hold dear to me, "People".....Must everything be "politicized".....?

You "STINK"....(at a time like this, shame on you)

best,

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I have been an on again, off again, Rush fan thru the years, but, Rush, get real... I believe that you dropped the ball on this one and crossed a line that put you on the other side of what I hold dear to me, "People".....Must everything be "politicized".....?

You "STINK"....(at a time like this, shame on you)

best,

I personally didn't hear Limbaugh say that, so when Secretariat said that Rush Limbaugh said "Don't Donate." I didn't believe it. He can be thick, but that thick??

So I googled and found some truth to what Sec is saying. At first I thought he was saying you can't trust Obama to send the money to Haiti so don't send funds to him. But there was more. He is being quoted at the following site as saying:

"This [the earthquake] will play right into Obama's hands,"
"He's humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, credibility with the black community – both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. This is made to order for them...."
"Besides, we've already donated to Haiti. It's called the US income tax,"

reference from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/15/haitians-donations-radio-rush-limbaugh

spicytomato
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
i feel for the people-- 9 million in the country
2 million near the area affected:(

over 200 million promised in funds

and more and more as time and tv cover it

dunno, but , looking at the hardest hit area

and the forces that can move people

just a thought, move them temporary to the other side

we have ships there and fuel is just a jump away

there is the capacity to move tons of people
to where their own countrymen can help

they are in shock right now
there are after shocks scaring them to death right now

is it just me or what

safety is not so far away from the epicenter of this disaster

as for the idiots talking junk,
we know who they are
dont give them the time of day and fame they seek
turn the channel, or turn it off
energy bad or good spent on them is a waste:rolleyes:

Tom
01-15-2010, 07:20 PM

Sec, your a stinking LIAR.

Prove it.

Greyfox
01-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Prove it.

I couldn't find anywhere that Limbaugh actually said "don't donate to Haiti."
The implication might be there depending on how you read what he said.
I'll be interested in reading Sec's response actually proving he said that.

Tom
01-16-2010, 12:17 AM
What he said was don't donate through the WH. Donate to legitimate organizations. You want to filter your donation through thieves?

mostpost
01-16-2010, 01:04 AM

Prove it.
What he said was don't donate through the WH. Donate to legitimate organizations. You want to filter your donation through thieves?
Here is a link to the conversation Rush had with a caller on this matter
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/14/limbaugh-weve-already-don_n_422958.html
It is the second video/audio in the article.
The first thing wrong with your theory is that donations will go through the White House. No mechanism has been set up for the White House to accept donations. Whitehouse.gov provides LINKS to organizations which are taking donations for Haiti. These include THE RED CROSS, THE CLINTON BUSH HAITI FUND AND THE WILLIAM J. CLINTON FOUNDATION. When you click on those links you go to those oranizations' websites.
Limbaugh knows this, but he spews his lies because he knows that dumb people like.....well, dumb people can be convinced that the government is making secret lists and stealing the money that should be going to relief in Haiti.
There is no "Donate" button at the Whitehouse.gov website. There would be no way for the White House to distribute the money if there was one. There is no way for them to make up a mailing list, if you don't give them your information. And there is no place where they ask you for that information in context with Haiti.

What he said was don't donate through the WH. Donate to legitimate organizations. You want to filter your donation through thieves
Now it's your turn to prove that he said "Donate to legitimate organizations,"
because I heard him say nothing of the sort in the conversation above. He did not say donate to the Red Cross. When he mentioned charitable organizations working in Haiti it was to complain that we have been doing this for years and no good has come of it. If he did not say the exact words "Don't donate to Haiti," everything he said screamed that idea loud and clear.

Tom
01-16-2010, 01:12 AM
:sleeping:

mostpost
01-16-2010, 01:17 AM
:sleeping:
I am waiting for a fact based response. Silly me. :rolleyes:
Oh, and it doesn't count if he encourages donations a day or two later. The damage has been done and he is just trying to cover his ass.

LottaKash
01-16-2010, 02:06 AM
donations. Whitehouse.gov provides LINKS to organizations which are taking donations for Haiti. These include THE RED CROSS, THE CLINTON BUSH HAITI FUND AND THE WILLIAM J. CLINTON FOUNDATION. When you click on those links you go to those oranizations' websites.

Do you mean people will actually send money to those 2-guys ?.....Not me "bub".....They had their day, and I wouldn't trust either one of those conivers with my kash....:eek:

best,

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2010, 03:49 AM
Why do people take to heart what Rush (or anyone for that matter) says on the air?

I don't need Rush to know Obama is a fraud. Thus, I would never donate my money for Haiti through the WH website. I will donate to entities who are more intimately connected to the crisis...the "in the trenches" types like the Red Cross.

http://www.redcross.org/

I continue to be amused and bewildered by the arguments that pop up here relating to Rush Limbaugh (for the record, I never listen to his show...the only radio host I listen to with regularity is Mark Levin).

LottaKash
01-16-2010, 03:54 AM
the only radio host I listen to with regularity is Mark Levin).

OK, MIke....:ThmbUp:

best,

bigmack
01-16-2010, 04:03 AM
The donations through text needs some thought...

Commonly advertised on MSNBC

Groups that vet charities are raising doubts about the organization backed by Haitian-born rapper Wyclef Jean, questioning its accounting practices and ability to function in earthquake-hit Haiti.

Even as more than $2 million poured into The Wyclef Jean Foundation Inc. via text message after just two days, experts questioned how much of the money would help those in need.

"It's questionable. There's no way to get around that," said Art Taylor, president and chief executive of the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance, based in Arlington, Va.

Taylor reviewed Internal Revenue Service tax returns for the organization also known as Yele Haiti Foundation from 2005 through 2007. He said the first red flag of poor accounting practices was that three years of returns were filed on the same day — Aug. 10 of last year.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=9577218

superfecta
01-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Why do people take to heart what Rush (or anyone for that matter) says on the air?

I don't need Rush to know Obama is a fraud. Thus, I would never donate my money for Haiti through the WH website. I will donate to entities who are more intimately connected to the crisis...the "in the trenches" types like the Red Cross.

I continue to be amused and bewildered by the arguments that pop up here relating to Rush Limbaugh (for the record, I never listen to his show...the only radio host I listen to with regularity is Mark Levin).

You must have a strong stomach P.A,I dont get that guy,Billy Cunningham is tolerable is measured doses,Rush is a one trick pony,and the kind of pony I dont like,the kind you wonder if hes on some tricky meds.I just dont care for the politization of a disaster ,on both sides .On FOX news they have a program called Red Eye that doesnt do a bad job of talking politics and pop culture,the host is warped,but he knows it.Oh and good thing you posted a link to the red cross,cause there are fraudulent red cross links,redcross.com and redcross.net.are two i saw.

ArlJim78
01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
For all you people who are abhored by the thought of politicizing a disaster, well here you go. Rush was right, the Democrats absolutely will politicize this thing.
Not only the Clinton statement (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Clinton-Haiti-relief-Dem-politicking-are-two-sides-of-the-same-coin-81878782.html) below, from a Coakley campaign rally, but the fact that Obama is going to pen a Newsweek cover story about Haiti, once again injecting himself and his fat ego. Clinton is connecting the Haiti disaster to the tuesday election claiming that good government, in the form of Coakley, is somehow better for Haiti. Yep, the Haiti earthquake is being used by Democrats to remind people to vote for Coakley.
__________________________________________________ __________

"But it reminds you all over again of the importance of good governance. Now, good governance would not have prevented this earthquake, but if we'd had decades of it, there would have been different buildings there, and less deforestation, and a sustainable economy. I mean, the whole thing would be different. So what I want to say to you is, I'm here today because I believe in Martha Coakley…"

Read more at the Washington Examiner:

spicytomato
01-16-2010, 11:37 AM
you can donate to red cross-- you must say it is for haiti
or it will go to general fund

625 million has been donated-- reported nightline last night
you can go to the site and pick up the rest of the report on the numbers

they had 400,000 orphans before the disaster
now there will be more,
any woman having 2 kids
should consider sterilized/by choice/, and be rewarded for it
this country can not sustain such growth

it has not been decided who will handle the funds
the govt without good leaders and all the corruption
surely cannot handle these funds

they must put in place a check point system
of very nearly trust worthy people
with that much money to handle and write checks
not many are trust worthy, pick the lesser of evils

look back in one year
you will still find, homeless, suffering and
the selling of children to slavery
'one woman with 11 kids was giving away 2 of them''

there was a very positive note last night
they have shown that the people of haiti
have real artistic talents
work that was beautiful and certainly worth
world recognition
perhaps good companies can go there and get some
of their work and sell it around the world

and to boot-- heres the thing--
it was made from waste oil metal containers
the kind rotting world wide on land and under the sea
wouldnt it be great to turn whats ugly to what is beautiful
i would be honored to have some of these works in my home:ThmbUp:

mostpost
01-16-2010, 12:21 PM

FOR THE THIRD TIME and I'm sure not the last. You are NOT donating through the WH website. You are merely using that site to choose a place to donate, then you are leaving that site and going to whichever the website of whichever organization you choose to donate through.

By the way Mark Levin is at least as big an idiot as Rush Limbaugh

boxcar
01-16-2010, 12:52 PM

625 million has been donated-- reported nightline last night
you can go to the site and pick up the rest of the report on the numbers

they had 400,000 orphans before the disaster
now there will be more,
any woman having 2 kids
should consider sterilized/by choice/, and be rewarded for it
this country can not sustain such growth

it has not been decided who will handle the funds
the govt without good leaders and all the corruption
surely cannot handle these funds

they must put in place a check point system
of very nearly trust worthy people
with that much money to handle and write checks
not many are trust worthy, pick the lesser of evils

look back in one year
you will still find, homeless, suffering and
the selling of children to slavery
'one woman with 11 kids was giving away 2 of them''

there was a very positive note last night
they have shown that the people of haiti
have real artistic talents
work that was beautiful and certainly worth
world recognition
perhaps good companies can go there and get some
of their work and sell it around the world

and to boot-- heres the thing--

And herein is the crux of the relief money problem because the government is Haiti is at least as corrupt as ours. So...WHO is going to manage the distribution of those funds? The U.N.? (Oh, wait, I nearly forgot about that small Food for Oil scandal perpetrated by that paragon of virtue. :rolleyes: )
But seriously, this is no small problem. Some trustworthy administrator needs to oversee the distribution of all that money to make sure the poor, suffering people of Haiti are the recipients. There's too much money involved for any government to be trusted. Period! Perhaps the SA and RC could share the responsibility? Some non-governmental agency really needs to take charge.

Boxcar

Greyfox
01-16-2010, 01:16 PM

....and to boot-- heres the thing--

spicytomato
You make some excellent points.
However as I've said on the "Pet Peeve" thread earlier today, those points are wasted to some of us since you don't start any of your sentences with CAPITALS.
Posters who don't capitalize the start of their sentences give me the impression that 1. They are lazy 2. They are teenagers who are into texting.
Remember:
The medium is the message. (M.McLuhan)
You have so much to offer and it's being wasted with your style of presentation without capitals.

spicytomato
01-16-2010, 02:04 PM
well sir,,

you posted your pet peeve

it is beyond me as to why i should conform to your ideas
as to how people should or should not post upon this board

what i desire to share
i will share in my own way, at my own time

best to you in controlling your own little world
as to mine, please let it be

thank you very much
yes as you see, no capitals!!:p

boxcar
01-16-2010, 02:10 PM
yes as you see, no capitals!!:p

And no sense either to take sound, constructive criticism to heart.

Boxcar

kenwoodallpromos
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Do not donate food or water, donate REBAR!

Greyfox
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I admire the spirit of many of the Haitians. In the midst of it all some can still sing, chant and express faith. There but for the Grace of God go I.

jognlope
01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Why can't doctors without borders supply anesthesia to avoid those Civil War amputations?

Tom
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
UN docs walked out last night - left the sick and hurt to fend for themselves in the night. Sanjay Gupta was the sole doc who stayed, with CNN security, to actually act like a doctor.

Guess the UN is part time.

"Good nite, don't die. I'll be back when it's safer."

Greyfox
01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Sanjay Gupta was the sole doc who stayed, with CNN security, to actually act like a doctor.
."

Good for Sanjay. I understand that he is still a practising neurosurgeon.

jognlope
01-16-2010, 07:59 PM
I have transcribed Sanjay Gupta, unless he's not the same one, is an upstate NY doctor, but maybe not the same one.

Greyfox
01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I have transcribed Sanjay Gupta, unless he's not the same one, is an upstate NY doctor, but maybe not the same one.

I "googled" Sanjay Gupta. He works in Atlanta at Grady Memorial Hospital and
Emory University, and of course on CNN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanjay_Gupta

delayjf
01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I heard on the news the other night that the US has provided about 1 billion dollars in aid over the past 10 years - Given the state of that country pre earthquake you have to wonder where did the money go?

Greyfox
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I heard on the news the other night that the US has provided about 1 billion dollars in aid over the past 10 years - Given the state of that country pre earthquake you have to wonder where did the money go?

It's more than 10 years ago, but the Clinton administration mistakenly poured tons of money into a regime led by a former Catholic priest named Jean-Bertrand Aristide. He was supposed to be to the island what Mandella was to South Africa. You might want to ask Aristide where the money went.
In time, he was removed from power but confidence in investing there moved on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Bertrand_Aristide

Tom
01-17-2010, 02:49 PM

No you don't.

cj's dad
01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Watching the news this Pm, there are videos of mass graves 10' wide by 30' deep being filled with body parts topped by garbage which helps the decomp process. This has to be the most grisly thing I have seen in my lifetime.

God help these poor people.

One final thought;

I hope and pray that all of us realize how truly blessed we are.

Robert Goren
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
God help these poor people.

One final thought;

I hope and pray that all of us realize how truly blessed we are.AMEN

Tom
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
They were trying to extracate a man from rubble Sunday, with a cutting torch and hit his leg - the screams were sickening to hear.
They arae using hacksaws for amputations.......grizzly.

hazzardm
01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
They were trying to extracate a man from rubble Sunday, with a cutting torch and hit his leg - the screams were sickening to hear.
They arae using hacksaws for amputations.......grizzly.

Painful to even read ......

Tom
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.isrealli.org/israeli-aid-to-haiti/

On Friday, two Israeli jets carrying nearly 10 tons of medical equipment, doctors, nurses, medics, police forces and an elite search and rescue team landed in Haiti. The 220-person delegation is led by Brig. Gen. Shalom Ben-Aryeh (Res.), the commander of the Home Front Command’s National Search and Rescue Unit.

In addition to deploying search and rescue units to find survivors, Israel established a field hospital that includes 40 doctors, 24 nurses, medics, paramedics, x-ray equipment and personnel, a pharmacy, an emergency room, two surgery rooms, an incubation ward, a children’s ward, a maternity ward, and more. The field hospital is capable of treating nearly 500 victims per day and performing initial surgeries.

Sa-lute!:ThmbUp:

skate
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Having trouble with Reality,Sec?

Or are you just in Remorse?

Keep the legs closed and the mind Open.

skate
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Matter-of-fact, Rush is FAST becoming the Most Correct Person "of all times".;)

newtothegame
03-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Forget the flag at home........just give us your dollars :)

Obama Orders Army NOT To Fly U.S. Flag in Haiti

It's bad enough that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is giving short shrift to American manufacturers and our economy by ordering extravagant new crystal stemware from Sweden (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/hill_nub_of_ny_firm_is_crystal_clear_FYR65jDt5RHnO 4X4CLOaFL) to make the crystal cabinets in America's embassies sparkle impressively, but now we learn that Barack Obama has told the U.S. relief forces in Haiti not to fly the U.S. flag over its own military compounds. He says that it will "send the wrong message."

Never mind that all the other nations have their flags proudly flying above their military relief installations in Haiti. Even Croatia has its coat of arms flying outside its base. Yet not the U.S. Army. No U.S. flag flies (http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/03/ap_haiti_flag_031510/) anywhere despite that we are far and away the largest force and have supplied the most relief supplies and money to the earthquake recovery effort.

According to USAID (http://geneva.usmission.gov/2010/01/21/usaid-fact-sheet-haiti/), as of January 19, 2010 the U.S. had spent $130,864,571 on aid to the Haitian people to help them recover from the devastating earthquake. By Jan. 25 that number had already increased (http://uruguay.usembassy.gov/usaweb/2010/10-033EN.shtml) to $179,883,065. It is only going up from there.

So why did the Obama administration forbid flying our own flag in Haiti?

http://rightwingnews.com/#post9727